• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simplygon is amazing.

Its not only better, but faster, the fidelity is exactly the same too. They used Simplygon in TW3. Worth it in this big scale kind of games if you ask me.

Also.. simplygon is a service... it can't be included into an engine. I think you actually have to pay by the time to use it, since its very expensive.

Still.. tools like this cut your time and in the end save you money. The amount of money you spend making LODs is ridiculous. I can tell you that by experience.

Just checked their site, even Bloodborne and Bayo 2 used Simplygon. I can see why KojiPro didn't want to use it since they wanted to handcraft everything, it would've saved them so much time though. The Bloodborne article says it reduced time by 20 months. Jesus. No wonder they're pushing out another souls this year.

brau

Just checked their site, even Bloodborne and Bayo 2 used Simplygon. I can see why KojiPro didn't want to use it since they wanted to handcraft everything, it would've saved them so much time though. The Bloodborne article says it reduced time by 20 months. Jesus. No wonder they're pushing out another souls this year.

Sympligon is worth it.

It is amazing how seamless the LODs look, not only that. But the way you can pack things together and what you choose to show and not is just so intuitive.

Definitely one of the tools you'll see on bigger games.

J4g3r

Has it been confirmed what steelbook we're getting with the collector's edition? I always thought the one in the picture was a placeholder. I hope it's the Shinkawa one.

MGS_Hero-Shot_Amended_Tues-03-03-Copy.jpg

Bonus, pretty awesome fan art:

CM2WkNfUcAAe4ax.jpg:large

Love this piece; a while back I saw that someone had cropped out the artist's signature and sent it to Konami on Twitter without giving credit.

Had to fix that.

https://twitter.com/J4g3r/status/619599132785774592

WHAT DOES IT MEEANN!

What's coming out his head? Are those horns or bullets?

Sympligon is worth it.

It is amazing how seamless the LODs look, not only that. But the way you can pack things together and what you choose to show and not is just so intuitive.

Definitely one of the tools you'll see on bigger games.

Yep their client list definitely has quite a lot of bigger games that have huge draw distances. A game like TPP would've benefited well with it. Simplygon works with photogrammetry too according to their site. We really could've gotten the game on 1984 or 1/9/14 had they used it.

Has it been confirmed what steelbook we're getting with the collector's edition? I always thought the one in the picture was a placeholder. I hope it's the Shinkawa one.

Love this piece; a while back I saw that someone had cropped out the artist's signature and sent it to Konami on Twitter without giving credit.

Had to fix that.

https://twitter.com/J4g3r/status/619599132785774592
The collector's edition gets both Steelbooks iirc.

brau

Yep their client list definitely has quite a lot of bigger games that have huge draw distances. A game like TPP would've benefited well with it. Simplygon works with photogrammetry too according to their site. We really could've gotten the game on 1984 or 1/9/14 had they used it.

I hope it was some other decision that they didn't want to use this apart from just having FOX integration only. Its really dumb to disregard a tool that can do so much for your game based on local or not.

But yea... its gonna become the standard as projects get so huge that just making LODs would be something just not possible.

Also, the more we work with tools like this, the more attention we can give to art, and in the end, the better result because we are not doing monkey work. Its awesome! Art is just the best. :D

Brothers, it's been too long. I've been trying to avoid the hype these last few months but I figured since MGS is important to me, I may as well try to get excited. I see things are getting heated in here coming up to release :p

Is the gram chat still alive? I was thinking about logging in.

Venom Fox

Banned
I hope it was some other decision that they didn't want to use this apart from just having FOX integration only. Its really dumb to disregard a tool that can do so much for your game based on local or not.

But yea... its gonna become the standard as projects get so huge that just making LODs would be something just not possible.

Also, the more we work with tools like this, the more attention we can give to art, and in the end, the better result because we are not doing monkey work. Its awesome! Art is just the best. :D
Exactly, they could've used the SDK for the assets and LOD models, then just pushed them to the Fox Engine. A lot less work for the team and a lot less time too.
Konami was already pissed at Kojima though, so imagine there faces when the bill for Simplygon came through the the door. From what I can see on the website, your project has to be evaluated based on how long you'll be using the SDK. It would have been expensive alright.

Vally

Brothers, it's been too long. I've been trying to avoid the hype these last few months but I figured since MGS is important to me, I may as well try to get excited. I see things are getting heated in here coming up to release :p

Welcome back!

Gram chat is still alive, yep

Alienous

Exactly, they could've used the SDK for the assets and LOD models, then just pushed them to the Fox Engine. A lot less work for the team and a lot less time too.
Konami was already pissed at Kojima though, so imagine there faces when the bill for Simplygon came through the the door.

I can imagine Konami wanting work on the FOX Engine to end at a hard date so that all of Kojima Productions was focused on finishing MGSV. So I could see further tools being ignored, particularly as they undermine the huge investment the FOX Engine would have been. "We spent 3 years developing our own proprietary technology, but we need this third party LOD solution".

Kindekuma

Banned

Gram still lives!

Shy

Custom soundtrack and some nvidia features http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2015/06/15/metal-gear/
Ahh. i was hoping to see that if they said it would have native PS4 controller.

And on the topic of Custom coundtracks, i know they said it would be compatible with MP3a, but is that only MP3, or can i use all my flac albums too. ?

Welcome back.

Kindekuma

Banned

And on the topic of Custom coundtracks, i know they said it would be compatible with MP3a, but is that only MP3, or can i use all my flac albums too. ?

Welcome back.

Glorious FLAC masterrace
Even Snake was an audiophile with having lossless audio files.
Most likely just MP3 only.

wilsonda

Hope TPP uses some cool sound effects from the ds4 speaker... I am playing through TLOU now and the flashlight sound clicking is so cool

Shy

Glorious FLAC masterrace
My man. :D
Even Snake was an audiophile with having lossless audio files.
Most likely just MP3 only.
That's a shame, i hope someone makes a mod for that, pretty quick after release.
Hope TPP uses some cool sound effects from the ds4 speaker... I am playing through TLOU now and the flashlight sound clicking is so cool
In ground zeroes the speaker was used for the idroid, so you might be in luck.

Zambatoh

I wonder what the going rate is for obtaining a license to import FLAC files into the game as opposed to the MP3 license?
Probably a bit more expensive.

Mifec

Welcome back.

You almost never can unfortunately, which is sad when I have to convert my delicious flac files into dirty mp3s.

Shy

I wonder what the going rate is for obtaining a license to import FLAC files into the game as opposed to the MP3 license?
Probably a bit more expensive.
I thought flac was open source. ?
You almost never can unfortunately, which is sad when I have to convert my delicious flac files into dirty mp3s.
I'm not going to that, i'm gonna wait for a mod to hopefully come along.

I wish i remembered to ask for it in the feature request the asked for. D'oh

Anth0ny

2015-08-2022_33_59-viq7s5c.png

damn it stop trying to kill my hype

and it's not going to be better than MGS1 or 2. get the fuck outta here. I don't expect it to be better than two utter masterpiece classics... if it can even hang in that conversation, I'm happy :)

wilsonda

My man. :D

That's a shame, i hope someone makes a mod for that, pretty quick after release.

In ground zeroes the speaker was used for the idroid, so you might be in luck.

Ah you are right just started playing GZ on my ps4 recently (originally played it on xbone) and I forgot that the idroid did come from the ds4 speaker
.. might get annoying but it would be cool to have a slide cocking sound when you reload the tranquilizer

Who is that twitter guy, i'm not familiar with him.

"Deputy Editor of http://VideoGamer.com"

GUYS GUYS!

@TheSteveBurnio What do you say to the French review that said there wasn't much story? It has me worried

@WillHay108 I can't really say. Only, perhaps, that I don't agree

SO HAPPY!

"Deputy Editor of http://VideoGamer.com"

GUYS GUYS!

@TheSteveBurnio What do you say to the French review that said there wasn't much story? It has me worried

@WillHay108 I can't really say. Only, perhaps, that I don't agree

SO HAPPY!
Christ, I hope so. I'll admit I was pretty bummed hearing there wasn't much story :(

I really hope the review thread for this game is mature and civil and people don't get super pissed of at an 8 for a game they haven't played yet and claim that it's just click bait rather than a differing opinion.............lol, as if. I'll still hope though.

strafer

I really hope the review thread for this game is mature and civil and people don't get super pissed of at an 8 for a game they haven't played yet and claim that it's just click bait rather than a differing opinion.............lol, as if. I'll still hope though.

HAHAHAAHAHAAHAHHAHA :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom