• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT3| The Best is Yet to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so given the slew of new info:

-Excited to hear about the 80's songs. Curious to see what other elements of that decade kojima decides to include.

-one of the tweeters mentioned something about "if you like David lynch then...." I love David lynch and have always wanted to see if kojima was fond of him. Wonder what that's about?

"Some textures are lesser than gz" this cross-gen thing really bothers me.

Well, I am getting closer to those delicious S-Ranks on my PC copy of MGSV:GZ. So close yet so far damnit, those last few S-ranks on the daytime missions are giving me hell on Hard mode.

Would have loved to watch your stream, but I need to sleep. :(

Yeah, I meant to start broadcasting earlier in the day but shit happened and I had to deal with some stuff earlier so I didn't get a chance to stream until late this evening.

Thanks to whoever came, I know Rajang King of the Whoppers dropped in and RadioHammer and me had a wonderful conversation here and there. Also, RadioHammer thanks for popping in buddy! I really appreciate it. ;_;7 You will live on through the arm of MGS GAF.

Also my headset was acting funny so I ended up not using it. Ugh, I really need to get a good mic so I can chat on Stream but sometimes I just like to play and it's hard for me to play and talk lol.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
We lost another brother.

Strafer got banned :(

I don't suppose anyone has a link to the 'snake is the only playable character' quote? He wasn't even the only character in Ground Zeroes!

I think it was in that Geoff Keighley interview on Gametrailers but i'm not 100% sure. I'm on phone atm so i can't check.

Palpable

Attempting to stay mentally sane/stable enough until TPP is released is proving difficult. Being depressed for 6 months now is taking a toll on me & I'm not sure I can hold out for another 3 months.

Since the whole Kojima/Konami debacle some sites have changed the boxart and it doesn't have that line anymore. GAME UK for example:

262975_ps4_a.png

But then again on other sites the boxart still has the AHKG line, and that Japanese promotional material is supposed to be recent, so who knows

Yeah, "some sites", not officially. The official site still has it and always has. It's bad PR and they simply can't remove the maker from the game, especially after they've made it clear Kojima is 100% involved.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
What are you guys playing while waiting for MGSV?

I'm on my second Dragon Age: Inquisition file, which will net me another hundred hours or so. It's the one I'll be coming back to as future (hopefully postgame) story DLCs pop up over the next several months. Canon Inquisitor and all that. So I'm being fairly thorough.

Aside from that? I've got a two-month subscription to GameFly, so I'm taking advantage of it to run through several games I'd never have actually bought. Made it through Shadow of Mordor last week. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is en route. After that (it should only take a day, plus a second day to do it co-op when my friend comes over) I'll head into Wolfenstein, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and I'll dabble in Bloodborne for a few days before likely being scared off from it.

And I'm gonna play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a borrowed PS3 next week.

Busy busy busy.

I'm on my second Dragon Age: Inquisition file, which will net me another hundred hours or so. It's the one I'll be coming back to as future (hopefully postgame) story DLCs pop up over the next several months. Canon Inquisitor and all that. So I'm being fairly thorough.

Aside from that? I've got a two-month subscription to GameFly, so I'm taking advantage of it to run through several games I'd never have actually bought. Made it through Shadow of Mordor last week. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is en route. After that (it should only take a day, plus a second day to do it co-op when my friend comes over) I'll head into Wolfenstein, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, and I'll dabble in Bloodborne for a few days before likely being scared off from it.

And I'm gonna play Deus Ex: Human Revolution on a borrowed PS3 next week.

Busy busy busy.

Awesome, you won't be bored till the game is released ;)

Error1355

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
So I am playing pw again. Having fun but you know what I don't want in tpp?

Vehicle boss fights

This is definitely a fairly common feeling. I share your sentiment. Those fights were designed to appeal to the Japanese love of grinding in all things, I think, being that Peace Walker's initial platform -- the PSP -- guaranteed that its marketing dollars would best be spent on domestic soil.

I'm uncertain to what extent they'll return for MGSV, but yeah, hopefully they aren't too prevalent.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Vehicle boss fights

I agree but it looks like the won't be in TPP because some preview event testers said they destroyed a tank with a rocket launcher and that was thankfully not a boss fight.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Vehicle boss fights

I think we'll fight vehicles, at least I hope so. It's series staple to see a Snake takedown a helicopter/plane/tank. I have a strong suspicion that they won't be necessarily encountered as proper "bosses" , more like wandering mini-bosses (like ogres in Dragon's Dogma) or specifically called in for alerts (like in the gameplay videos).

EDIT: The helicopter at the end of the Africa gameplay video can be seen patrolling the area at the beginning.

Personally, if battles with vehicles are as free form as they are in GZ and (supposedly) at the end of the Africa demo, I'm all for them.

Nick_C

Rich Stanton did a write-up on Eurogamer about the complexity of MGS subject matter. I didn't see a thread so I figured I'd post here if any of you were interested.

My take on the "objectification" of Quiet might have something to do with the sexualization of nudity and the requirement to be fully clothed to appear more civiled to the western world in the 20th century.

I can link an article if anyone's interested in where Kojima may be coming from when he says "[We'll] be ashamed of our deeds."

I'm ambivalent on Quiet's design purely on an aesthetic level. I have no issue with nudity, and a character that has a visual element of such, but I do feel like it could've done without the under-boob or torn leggings.

As for the theme, and what she's supposed to represent, I would like to see the character arc to the end of her story first.

As for everything else, my favourite quotes from Stanton's write-up:

"No creator is perfect."
"None of this invalidates Kojima's work."

And on GZ's controversy specifically:

"Rape may be a taboo but, as any student of history will tell you, it is also a fact of any war. It is fine to have reservations about how Kojima handles the topic, but the attitude he had no right to do so doesn't wash."

Nick_C

I'm ambivalent on Quiet's design purely on an aesthetic level. I have no issue with nudity, and a character that has a visual element of such, but I do feel like it could've done without the under-boob or torn leggings.

As for the theme, and what she's supposed to represent, I would like to see the character arc to the end of her story first.

As for everything else, my favourite quotes from Stanton's write-up:

"No creator is perfect."
"None of this invalidates Kojima's work."

And on GZ's controversy specifically:

"Rape may be a taboo but, as any student of history will tell you, it is also a fact of any war. It is fine to have reservations about how Kojima handles the topic, but the attitude he had no right to do so doesn't wash."

My worry is since she is optional and can be perm killed she might not have a proper character arc.

Rajang

Vehicle boss fights

You'll obviously have to fight tanks/choppers in TPP but as bossfights? I don't think so.

And a tip for PW. Don't bother trying to get a high rank with your first playthrough of the vehicle missions. Just bring lethal weapons and destroy everything/everyone. If you want to get a higher rank just replay it later when you have better weapons and items developed. The sneaking suit is also very important if you want to S rank some of those vehicle mission, you unlock that after you fight the attack chopper.

I think we'll fight vehicles, at least I hope so. It's series staple to see a Snake takedown a helicopter/plane/tank. I have a strong suspicion that they won't be necessarily encountered as proper "bosses" , more like wandering mini-bosses (like ogres in Dragon's Dogma) or specifically called in for alerts (like in the gameplay videos).

EDIT: The helicopter at the end of the Africa gameplay video can be seen patrolling the area at the beginning.

Personally, if battles with vehicles are as free form as they are in GZ and (supposedly) at the end of the Africa demo, I'm all for them.

We'll definitely see vehicles and i'm almost 100% sure they won't be bossfights. In GZ you can fight an armoured vehicle that was in peace walker and it's easy to destroy. Also, there are helicopters in both the kojima rescue mission and raiden snatcher mission that are serious pushovers.

Also, in one Afghan demo the player blew up a helicopter with a fulton balloon attached to a car and as you said in Africa they destroyed a chopper there too,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom