• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Mike Golf

Agreed - and I did the exact same thing, bolded!

I love the breadth of music selection, while I miss being able to choose individual tracks as the previous poster said it picks up when necessary and fits certain modes perfectly. MGS1 set doesn't auite go with base capture or TDM though.

Game is a diamond in the rough. Mechanics are stellar, maps are interesting and overall it works. It needs balancing badly though, stuff like D-Walker shouldn't touch comm matches with a ten foot pole.
Also Stealth Camo, outside of Cloak and Dagger, is some bullshit.
I don't mind it as much, the problem is defending players in C&D using stealth, now THAT'S fucking stupid.

Demoskinos

This and interrogating someone are massively underrated!

I interrogated someone yesterday at just the right moment. It revealed the entire other team and my guys were able to reign absolute death on the other team once I marked them. Being a sneaky guy may be harder and not net you guaranteed kills/stuns but when you pull it off it is THE BEST.

Kinyou

Finally managed to get into some games yesterday and I have to say I had a surprisingly good time. Cloak and Dagger felt actually tactical and I had some great close encounters. Bounty Hunter was in comparison quite a mess, but there were some cool moments where my buddy saved me from getting fultoned.

Not sure how to really feel about the stealth camo. I guess otherwise stealth would be too hard, but I feels like it's just the easy way out to make the player mostly invisible.

RobRSG

I was not able to play this game even after 20 minutes waiting for the matchmaking yesterday.

One friend of mine was able to get a single match after 45 minutes waiting.

Entering a private match works, but matching it's a joke. Wasn't even able to get a match when picking a room.

What the hell is going on?

YoodlePro

Soooo... I've yet to unwrap my copy of MGS V, since I've yet to play GZ (also wanted to finally beat MG3+PW before that but we'll see), but as far as playing the game well does the "campaign" have proper tutorial missions where you learn all the crazy fun shit you can do with BB and are introduced to new gadgets/weapons/gameplay mechanics or, as usual with MGS games, you're on your own and the sky's the limit as far as things you'd never dream of are indeed possible (cue that MGS3 video)? If so, is there a good YT "tutorial" to watch that you guys could link me to? Would really appreciate it.

I don't want to hop in MGO and play it the boring/shitty way.

What do you mean by that mgs3 video?

Mike Golf

I was not able to play this game even after 20 minutes waiting for the matchmaking yesterday.

One friend of mine was able to get a single match after 45 minutes waiting.

Entering a private match works, but matching it's a joke. Wasn't even able to get a match when picking a room.

What the hell is going on?

Just abandon match making, I never bothered with it in MGO2 either. Search for the game you want and have fun.

Purdy

Is it possible to recustomise your character after creation (non story mode one) don't want to be permanently stuck with face paint

RobRSG

Just abandon match making, I never bothered with it in MGO2 either. Search for the game you want and have fun.

That's the point: I wasn't able to play even when searching, finding and picking a room... It's says that I "lost connection to the host" or something like that.

I'll try again later today.

Hazaku

Are regions separated?

I don't think so. I'm playing with a Japanese copy in New Zealand and I can party up with my local buddies fine.

Oddly enough we're just finding Japanese players in our lobbies though lol.

EDIT: And yeah stealth camo in Bounty Hunter can be a pain in the ass on the larger maps.

Loomba

That's the point: I wasn't able to play even when searching, finding and picking a room... It's says that I "lost connection to the host" or something like that.

I'll try again later today.

Cycle to page 3 or 4 and you will get a match.

Yushi

Not sure how to really feel about the stealth camo. I guess otherwise stealth would be too hard, but I feels like it's just the easy way out to make the player mostly invisible.

Most people dont have Camo rank 2. Once they get it, it's a little bit harder to spot them when stealth.

In comparison, I can easily see them cloak while walking and crouching with rank 1. But with rank 2 its hard to see them while crouch.

TMC

The stealth camo/lethal weapon combo is complete bullshit. In saying that, here's some Infiltrator non-lethal CQC gameplay from our GAF session earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5zwwfQ3CM

Next time I'll disable Snake & Ocelot, and get rid of the timer on Bounty Hunter matches.

You can create a game without the timer for Bounty Hunter? Sweet! One of my biggest gripes was how short games seemed to be.

Absolutely loving the online with the exception of those games where D-Walker is utilized. I really hope they release the ability to toggle these off.

Yushi

The stealth camo/lethal weapon combo is complete bullshit. In saying that, here's some Infiltrator non-lethal CQC gameplay from our GAF session earlier.

Wait until they start facing Enforcer with Rank 2 sensor. I get a warning any time an Infiltrator is nearing me. Since i've had it, its hard for them to get the jump on me.

mf.luder

In cloak and dagger, am I able to take down a defender with non-headshot tranqs? I hit a guy 3 times before he ran away and I was expecting him to be asleep behind a corner but he wasn't. My reticle turned whitish blue just after I fired, which I thought meant that I hit him.

Arttemis

I love the MGS3 and MGR music sets.

Question about the Gear. Some of the gear says things like "provides defense" or "causes noise" and "added pouch for carrying devices".

Do these actually affect gameplay or are they just flavor text?

Xanathus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd5zwwfQ3CM

Next time I'll disable Snake & Ocelot, and get rid of the timer on Bounty Hunter matches.

Started watching to see some top-level stealth infiltrator action, see you be the first death in the game and then immediately after commit suicide.

Asd202

Wait until they start facing Enforcer with Rank 2 sensor. I get a warning any time an Infiltrator is nearing me. Since i've had it, its hard for them to get the jump on me.

Pretty much. People should wait at least a week before making judgement of what's overpowered and what isn't. On a side note no ZoE music and "Calling to the Night" is a real bummer.

NeoGiff

In cloak and dagger, am I able to take down a defender with non-headshot tranqs? I hit a guy 3 times before he ran away and I was expecting him to be asleep behind a corner but he wasn't. My reticle turned whitish blue just after I fired, which I thought meant that I hit him.

Yeah you can, but it's different to tranquing in single player. The "sleepiness" is on a timer, and if they can get to safety before you adequately tranq them, it'll wear off. It's actually identical to damage from lethal weapons in that it has to add up.

Facism

They really need to change the music when a target is captured in TSNE like in MGO2, I always forget that it's been taken...

bruv it does change. I use the MGS4 MGO set 1 and i nearly shit myself whenever the music changes after someone picks up the target.

Facism

So is free roam single person only? Like I'm in a group with other party members but we're all in our own free roam lobby?

single only. it's a bit of a missed opportunity. If you had the whole party in the free-roam, you could fuck about and cqc each other whilst waiting for a game :(

Icefire1424

Despite not having played a single game last night, I feel somewhat accomplished as I did at least update my PS4 to 3.0 and got MGO installed. Baby steps.

Did mess about in free roam for about 30 minutes shooting targets and getting familiar with the controls again, so I'll be ready to get into a few matches finally. I actually have a rare weekend to myself, so I'm sure I'll be putting in an ungodly number of hours...hehe.

Already seems like this game will be much better playing with people that know what they're doing, and know enough not to kill someone actively being fultoned.

Ashura_MX

I have minimal issues, playing on PS3.
A few disconnects and a couple hosts ragequiting but otherwise pretty good.

It just takes forever from power on console to freeplay.

Facism

Specifically, when most of the defenders in the Comm Uplink mode are using stealth camo with lethal weapons, it's really annoying.

yes indeed. Class loadouts should really be restricted in that mode. I took the bulldog shotgun as an attacker and that shit wrecks. I'd like to see how it plays out when everything is unlocked, though. I could see this working competitively with locator grenades etc.

Hopefully they keep on top of the game with updates and patches, considering what shaky ground game development is sitting on at Konami.

Xater

After some more play time today I finally deleted MGSV off my hard drive. MGO has too many issues and I don't see them fixing them any time soon. I'd rather play some other MP game that comes out next month.

Anyone discover if can edit a 2nd or 3rd charcter after creation? My character kinda looks wrong in-game compared to character creation.

It didn't bother me at first but I'm level 11 now and it's annoying me. I might delete and re-roll.

Speaking of re-rolling, I spent (free) MB coins on a camo, will I keep that camo?

Top Bottom