• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

NeoGiff

I'm not sure. What is it called?

Spiffy_Giffy

I was thinking about this last night. I imagine going back to singleplayer after spending some time in MGO would make the missions seem ridiculously easy. Slow, easily-headshottable guards with laborious patrol routes compared to unpredictable zig-zagging human enemies. I know this could be said about any multiplayer component of a singleplayer game, but thinking about singleplayer in MGSV now makes it seem trivial in retrospect.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Spiffy_Giffy

I was thinking about this last night. I imagine going back to singleplayer after spending some time in MGO would make the missions seem ridiculously easy. Slow, easily-headshottable guards with laborious patrol routes compared to unpredictable zig-zagging human enemies. I know this could be said about any multiplayer component of a singleplayer game, but thinking about singleplayer in MGSV now makes it seem trivial in retrospect.

I guess, but I think you'd still have problems with fully armoured guards, tanks, snipers, skulls, choppers etc.

A few thoughts after playing for a couple of hours yesterday.

Server problems/host migration is the worst. I had no idea I would experience this in 2015, but here we are. I really hope that in the next few weeks they sort these things out.

Round lenght is too short for my liking. I'd really like them to be longer. That's why I usually play conquest large in Battlefield - I like my rounds big. But with current host problems it would be unplayable.

I am very surprised how limited customizable options are. I guess I wanted there to be dozens of all kinds of equipment like chest/ammo rigs, knee, ankle and shoulder pads, masks, helmets and so on. I guess there are only few we see from the start and then some wierd options like squid head after prestige or some other things. Not a fan of it all. At least there are options to paint it all to be unique, but then there's the problem that aside from green/grey/dark colors other ones are useless running around pink, bright yellow or anything else.

I've only unlocked second character slot and made another one to use as primary.

The biggest dissapointment with the game round so far was joining one match with host scoring 7 or 8 kills and knocking him out from an ambush with following fulton. That restored my team's tickets and immideately after that I was kicked by the host. That's just stupid of Konami LA :(

Is there more gear that unlocks as you level up? Its pretty lackluster so far to be frank,

probably going to be added later as paid dlc. yeah, the selection is so lame compared to what MGO2 had AND from what they've shown in videos and images.

and immideately after that I was kicked by the host. That's just stupid of Konami LA :(

the host can kick people? that's stupid as hell. i remember there being a vote to kick option in MGO2, but this is worse.

Demoskinos

I liked MGO2 as well but this game is far, far better, the hit detection and lack of DING - Headshot being the overriding way to kill everyone as well as the far improved animations when you die make it an easy winner.

Agreed. I played MGO 2 religiously for a long time and expected the worst. It'll never be the same level of weird and quirky that MGO 2 was but its still extremely fun.

NateDog

Played a decent bit yesterday and enjoyed it. Think it actually lends itself to team play better than MGO2 but also doesn't mean that if you're well placed and ready that you will always get destroyed if you come up against 2-3 enemies. As others have said the round length for modes are a bit too short at times (especially TSNE / whatever it's called now). Still a bit confused on how to change certain things like your voice (presume you have to buy that, again, although it was kind of funny for a while at the start hearing endless Keifers running around as if he's talking to himself). I won't have much time with it for a few days unfortunately and only had a bit of time playing with friends but it was so much more fun doing that and I played much better that way too. Hoping some maps will be free but, well it's Konami. Practically nothing was free in MGO2 and that was a few years ago, they've always been bad and are much worse now for this so I don't look forward to the price of expansions, but then again I threw my money at the screen for the first two in MGO2 so I'll probably do it again. Not buying any GP or MB shit though.

yeah i've been trying to focus on defensive sniping and marking but the map objective pacing seems to have a lot of low LOS CQC and a lot of the level design doesn't give many vantage points, though i'm sure it will improve at least somewhat as map memory does. best vantage points usually seem to have of the HQ spawn so far haha. vast majority of my matches have all been control point one though so maybe Bounty and Cloak and Dagger are different. i've a feeling it will scale as the best weapons unlock too. i've seen a lot of very dominant camo + shotgun players but maybe once we got more snipers with servals and enforcers with full battle armor and shields, that'll change some.

doesn't matter either way... this is always the fun part imo of a new shooter, finding which items or classes, perks, etc kick the most ass. the sort of 'honeymoon' period before everything becomes too routine and cookie cutter hehehe

Yushi

I have yet to use the matchmaking but only the search option. I never had a problem after playing for 10 hours yesterday with the exception of 1 bad host (lag). Games fill up insanely fast. Just join a 2/16 game.

NateDog

The game encourages run & gun in the early levels. Should've had a few different load outs that were actually meaningful.

Yeah the classes could have done with a bit of work certainly. The initial preview they gave of them sounded good but they feel like mismatched to be honest.

Nvzman

Man I got to be honest I'm dodging everyone's issues

1. 0 to no lag
2. Haven't been kicked once
3. In my 3hrs of playtime host quit like 4-5 times
4. Find matches in 30 seconds tops

First MGO and I'm having a blast, shit is fun.
Yeah this basically mirrors my experience as well.

Anyone have any new info on the CE stuff on PS4?

Im waiting on Amazon reply but im sure its a Konami issue based on the code issues on PS4 i just want my xp boost and Rex hat.

jmaine_ph

Really enjoying MGO. Have a few matchmaking issues but nothing crazy. I didn't realize it was P2P hosting.

Had some issues with Mechs and Cloaking but once I started using them I started to like them. I refuse to be at a disadvantage by not using things in the game that are available but I dislike.

Overall pretty good experience.

Snake on the communication upload mode is amazing with his rocket arm. Had a ocelot on d Walker kicking our ass and I said enough. Him and two other guards were on a point and from halfway across the map I shot my arm and murdered all three of them on the zone.

Demoskinos

What determines how many Gear points you get? Some games I get 100, others I get 10 :
If you play automatch and win you get 100GP if you lose in automatch you still get 50GP.

Playing games via server browser gives far far less. I'm guessing in an effort to reduce people trying to boost GP since the server browser are player ran matches.

If you play automatch and win you get 100GP if you lose in automatch you still get 50GP.

Playing games via server browser gives far far less. I'm guessing in an effort to reduce people trying to boost GP since the server browser are player ran matches.
Sounds like the same way it worked for MGO2., except there you didn't get any BP for server browser matches.

Loomba

Ah good stuff. Thanks a lot.

Ducktail

I've played for a couple of hours with a cousin. We're both MGO veterans and we had a great time so far. It just puts the other 3rd person competitive ps4 MP to shame. Yes, the Last of Us.

The peer-to-peer thing is a double-edged sword, but so far the rooms haven't been that laggy considering I live in South America. I guess internet speed and quality have improved since the ps2 era :p

MGO2 was way more laggy and buggy too in my opinion.

jmaine_ph

I've teen people in bounty hunter matches where the tickets were 100 per team. Anyone know how I get in those kinds of matches? I usually use auto match.

SomTervo

This is a very different game to MGO1 and 2. In a good way, imo.

If MGO1 was a crazy, silly proof of concept with hardcore tactical DNA and MGO2 was a strange, quirky multiplayer game with too much detail and hardcore tactical DNA, MGO3 has stripped away almost all the silliness and quirkiness and evolved the 'hardcore' tactical DNA into 'arcadey' tactical DNA.

The round time is faster, the TTK is faster, the mechanics are smoother and more seamless, the teamplay is easier. It still has that grit, that kernel of tactics and strategy, but the flesh and blood is now an arcade shooter. I love how easy and valid CQC is now - although someone else always seems to ambush you when you're interrogating on Bounty Hunt...

I really like it. Haven't had any balancing issues or any connection issues, either (except Automatch never working, but once you give in to Select Match it's fine).

*sigh.... Still have major problems finding a game.
I hoped it would be better today.

Have you been using 'Select match'?

I've tried Automatch 8-10 times and it has never worked, but I've tried Select Match 3 times and had success every time. Just filer by No Password and flick through pages trying rooms with 10+ people as quickly as you can.

I've played for a couple of hours with a cousin. We're both MGO veterans and we had a great time so far. It just puts the other 3rd person competitive ps4 MP to shame. Yes, the Last of Us.

The peer-to-peer thing is a double-edged sword, but so far the rooms haven't been that laggy considering I live in South America. I guess internet speed and quality have improved since the ps2 era :p

MGO2 was way more laggy and buggy too in my opinion.

Funny you say this, because I've noticed a lot of TLoU design ethos in MGO3. Which is fucking great. It clearly inspired them.

Also agreed on the rest of your post.

Ourobolus

Banned
So far it's been pretty fun. Still annoying when I stun someone and a teammate comes in and shoots the guy that was worth 7 tickets though. Buncha idiots.

Managed to play all 3 game modes and won every single session until it disconnected when the last match was over.

The game is really fun and I may sink my time into this depending on how much Konami supports it.

Cloak and dagger is fucking fun. And the option to add the music from all the games while playing is a nice little touch as well. During my cloak and dagger match, I put the mgs1 music. At first it was calm and then when someone got spotted it immediately switched to the alert music. Good times.

I'm sure that I'm not the first to say this, but these server problems are horrible. While not having server migration is one thing, the fact that all of your progress in that match is then considered moot is beyond ridiculous.
Beyond that though, I'm really liking it. I just wish that my team understood the value of Fultoning.

Jaeger

I love the Gear you can unlock (I guess just the initial gear available?). can't wait until I can actually buy some!

SomTervo

Managed to play all 3 game modes and won every single session until it disconnected when the last match was over.

The game is really fun and I may sink my time into this depending on how much Konami supports it.

Cloak and dagger is fucking fun. And the option to add the music from all the games while playing is a nice little touch as well. During my cloak and dagger match, I put the mgs1 music. At first it was calm and then when someone got spotted it immediately switched to the alert music. Good times.

Agreed - and I did the exact same thing, bolded!

Alienous

That was fun (Msharingan here).

We really need to do a 16 player GAF match at some point.

Also Stealth Camo, outside of Cloak and Dagger, is some bullshit.

Top Bottom