• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Icefire1424

...in fact, allow me to demonstrate.

preadtor-minigun-rampage-o.gif

mileS

I haven't had a chance to try this yet myself, but I have looked over some threads and watched a couple videos/streams. Quick question, is Infiltrator as OP as it looks? Looks pretty unbalanced compared to everything else.

wilsonda

I can't wait to get home and play some more. I loved what I played last night though I'm still getting aquainted with how the online plays. Playing with randoms in cloak and dagger is pretty futile it seemed. Would love to get some games with GAF in. East coast here. If any of my fellow gaffers are playing tonight add me, psn SOLID_RAIDEN.

Will add you... I think I actually am supportING your fob as well.. I was adding randoms the other day (really enjoy defending) and I liked the psn name lmao

The amount of gp they want you to pay to change the color of your gear is fucking criminal.

That earned in game rather than a micro-transaction only currency?

I'd like to be added to whatever Outer-GAF groups that are operating, probably won't be able to play for a while but I'd like to secure my entry.

To avoid ransoms seeing my PSN, please look for it on my profile.

fourstorks

Neo Member
Ok, I'm sick of playing with randoms. I'd love an invite to the GAF group please. :)

EDIT: PSN: fourgaystorks

I'm actually finding the Enforcer to be quite effective, if only because holding down the fire button on that machine gun puts some folks into a panic state, allowing my team to capitalize.

Ok, I'm sick of playing with randoms. I'd love an invite to the GAF group please. :)

EDIT: PSN: fourgaystorks

I'm actually finding the Enforcer to be quite effective, if only because holding down the fire button on that machine gun puts some folks into a panic state, allowing my team to capitalize.

I'm up partying up if you want. drop me an invite. PSN: PiPSmallie 😁

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
That earned in game rather than a micro-transaction only currency?

I'd like to be added to whatever Outer-GAF groups that are operating, probably won't be able to play for a while but I'd like to secure my entry.

To avoid ransoms seeing my PSN, please look for it on my profile.

It's in game. Essentially if you want to change the color of an item you're re buying it.

WinFonda

I haven't had a chance to try this yet myself, but I have looked over some threads and watched a couple videos/streams. Quick question, is Infiltrator as OP as it looks? Looks pretty unbalanced compared to everything else.

Yes, glaringly so to the point where it's not really feasible to determine or address gun and other game mechanic balance because of it. Near perma invis skews everything that badly.

Alienous

If an game mechanic's existence necessitates multiple counter-measures perhaps that initial game mechanic just should exist, or needs tweaking?

But hey Koji Pro LA, that's none of my business.

Man LMGs have no purpose in this game.

Big chunky recoil bullets of nothing.

Close range they are usable, but only just.

Damn homies, where in the world is our Xbox community?

Unfortunately, not many own or care about XBO at this point so I'm guessing it's just a handful of us playing the game on that console.

Edit: I'm only playing with my brother at the moment and we make an effective buddy link within the mess that is randoms however, we sometimes get a great team.

Hjod

Banned
I've been playing as an Scout. The only use I've got from the class is the detection grenades, they work great, other than the Sniper Rifle is not that great. To fix the Infiltrators the stealth should break if they run, and remove sprint from D-walkers.

Ok someone explain the CQC system to me, after I interrogate someone they seem to break out of the hold straightaway and then they have first dibs on a cqc slam, am I doing something wrong?

WinFonda

Play stealthy and use the countermeasures provided?
Oh, you mean don't move while everyone who plays infiltrator can do so and be really hard to see? Not only can they move and be hard to see, they can be shot and continue to be hard to see. They can shoot at you and be hard to see. They dictate the pace of the game entirely.

If you think the camo is balanced and there are fair avenues for counterplay then you are out of your goddamned mind.

The only counter to Infiltrator is Infiltrator.

malfcn

I tried Infiltrator and felt it was weak. While cloaked I was spotted across maps and killed with 3 bullets to limbs. Then again, my animations were also being interrupted during cqc, because it all ran like streaming ass.

Will attempt later tonight. It was much more frustrating than satisfying.

I think it's kinda... unintuitive with the D-pad to change guns.

It wasn't a problem with SP but in this fast paced gameplay it proves an annoyance.

Or maybe I just have to get gud.

Also the range from where the CQC action button appears is too long. It's so OP.

MJLord

I've been playing as an Scout. The only use I've got from the class is the detection grenades, they work great, other than the Sniper Rifle is not that great. To fix the Infiltrators the stealth should break if they run, and remove sprint from D-walkers.

Don't they get put on the map like everyone else?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Yo Alienous I wanna join Outer GAF.

BiGBoSSMk23 ò.ó7

Oh, you mean don't move while everyone who plays infiltrator can do so and be really hard to see? Not only can they move and be hard to see, they can be shot and continue to be hard to see. They can shoot at you and be hard to see. They dictate the pace of the game entirely.

If you think the camo is balanced and there are fair avenues for counterplay then you are out of your goddamned mind.

The only counter to Infiltrator is Infiltrator.

It's not hard too see, harder than a uncloaked player sure, but you can easy see the shimmer, they cannot run without showing on radar and firing a gun and such makes them clearly visible.

Also, play stealthy =/= don't move.

Oh and level up, because more countermeasures become available.

Grisby

Got up to level 6 with an infiltrator on my second character.

This is fun, but there feels like there is something missing. Reminds me a bit of Ghost Recon on the Xbox, but there is still some silly stuff with the plushies. I think the camo is a bit too OP (haven't made an enforcer yet though), but it could also be my aging eyes, :D.

I think I'll keep fooling around with it until Halo 5, but yeah, I want to hit it again tonight after work.

WinFonda

Don't they get put on the map like everyone else?
Yes, but unlike everyone else you can follow the radar and still not see them. Because they're invisible. And sprinting. And getting shot. And they're still invisible. And I like how we're saying "everyone else" when 80-90% of the players are playing Infiltrators anyway.

Toa TAK

Banned
Unfortunately, not many own or care about XBO at this point so I'm guessing it's just a handful of us playing the game on that console.

Edit: I'm only playing with my brother at the moment and we make an effective buddy link within the mess that is randoms however, we sometimes get a great team.

Damn, I almost feel punished buying a One this gen.

Yeah, E.Locator is Cloaker's bane.

I chuck those things like candy to the point that cloak is useless for the enemy team.

Then I find one and interrogate for info on most of their team then go on to the next person.

It gets to the point that the enemy team is marked for pretty much the whole match. Because I find someone with E.Locator then interrogate them (I have 2 slot Interrogate+ skill) then just do the same to the next person.

WinFonda

It's not hard too see, harder than a uncloaked player sure, but you can easy see the shimmer, they cannot run without showing on radar and firing a gun and such makes them clearly visible.

Also, play stealthy =/= don't move.

Oh and level up, because more countermeasures become available.

Not hard to see? That's straight up bullshit, given the various lighting and weather conditions. Showing up on radar is moot, everyone shows up on radar for sprinting, only one class will not appear there if you look. Unless you look really hard, but then you're probably dead from another Infiltrator sprinting at you from another direction. Infiltrators should be penalized the MOST for sprinting. They're penalized the least.

And I'm curious, what are those countermeasures? Is there a perk that makes bullets knock players out of invisibility as it should be?

Reule

Almost 19, yay. Any word on what exactly unlocks at Ascension? I know there are some camos or colors but there has to be more. Fulton Cannons are pretty fun.

I wish I had known before I bought the IGA Tactical that it costs 3000GP for camos. I had assumed it would've still been 300GP as it is for the BDU. :(

Alienous

The issue with stealth camo is that it doesn't encourage stealth.

The game mechanics facilitate stealth already. You can move between cover, crawl, roll, crouch-walk and get around without being seen if you make the effort.

Stealth camo doesn't seem designed to enhance and extend the stealth that is already possible. It's just a cheap way of allowing players to be 'stealthy'. It isn't about patience, or smart navigation, they've reduced stealth down to being hard to see.

These are issues with multiplayer invisibility that have been rectified in a great many games. Especially in multiplayer experiences where being hard to see has to be strictly balanced; a second delay of "was that a person or just a shadow" can mean losing a fight, especially when that shadow can sprint at and CQC you from more than an arms length away.

Movement should drain its battery to the point of being impractical. Sprinting should drain it to the point of being infeasible. Shooting unsuppressed, lethal weapons while cloaked shouldn't be happening.

Having to play at a slower pace should be the cost of being fucking invisible. I don't want to have to scrutinize every falling leaf, wondering if it is actually the distortion of a stealth camo user sprinting his way towards me.

Not hard to see? That's straight up bullshit, given the various lighting and weather conditions. Showing up on radar is moot, everyone shows up on radar for sprinting, only one class will not appear there if you look. Unless you look really hard, but then you're probably dead from another Infiltrator sprinting at you from another direction. Infiltrators should be penalized the MOST for sprinting. They're penalized the least.

And I'm curious, what are those countermeasures? Is there a perk that makes bullets knock players out of invisibility as it should be?

So now they OP as they beat you in a 2v1 situation?

Duraigo

Coming from a match of Comm Control on Jade Forest, here's what I've seen:
  • You can bombard the hell out of comms with mortars
  • A team can get stuck on one side of the map for a whole round
  • The weapon to surpass metal gear is Snake being able to spam the rocket blast arm
  • At this point I'm fairly certain you are better off aiming in third person than first person
  • Trying to aim in first person from cover can cause you to not shoot due to an object being in the way
  • On the second day the lord said over and over and over unto his flock "You're pretty good"

edit: spelling and added another bullet point

The game mechanics facilitate stealth already. You can move between cover, crawl, roll, crouch-walk and get around without being seen if you make the effort.

Stealth camo doesn't seem designed to enhance and extend the stealth that is already possible. It's just a cheap way of allowing players to be 'stealthy'. It isn't about patience, or smart navigation, they've reduced stealth down to being hard to see.

These are issues with multiplayer invisibility that have been rectified in a great many games. Especially in multiplayer experiences where being hard to see has to be strictly balanced; a second delay of "was that a person or just a shadow" can mean losing a fight, especially when that shadow can sprint at and CQC you from more than an arms length away.

Movement should drain its battery to the point of being impractical. Sprinting should drain it to the point of being infeasible. Shooting unsuppressed, lethal weapons while cloaked shouldn't be happening.

Having to play at a slower pace should be the cost of being fucking invisible. I don't want to have to scrutinize every falling leaf, wondering if it is actually the distortion of a stealth camo user sprinting his way towards me.

This is why you get someone like me on your team who goes around marking the entire enemy team for most of the match.

RIght, with Enforcers firing 1 hit kill explosives and Scouts being effective at range, cloak should be made useless.

It's the classes strength, it doesn't need nerfing, same as scouts shouldn't get their sniper rifles taken away or Enforcers their explosives.

Infiltrator is an up close class, so it gets a tool to make that possible. Only reason people think it OP is because most players are running around like monkeys with flaming arseholes turning the battlefield into chaos. Bad players don't make something OP.

Top Bottom