• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Alienous

Haha ignore that pm then. Really everyone should be in the same group.

'MGO GAF' has the higher amount of players, including some members in both (including myself).

It makes more sense as a dedicated MGO community, whereas the other one is an 'Outer GAF' community (a Metal Gear Solid fan community).

Red Alchemist

Neo Member
Honestly I don't think it's the stealth that's that overpowered it's the CQC, the fact that it's 1 hit KO, buggy/laggy and can't be countered unless prone. I mean you would at least expect the riot shield to stop CQC from the front.

Also for anyone that may not know the defenders can see the disc floating above your head when you take it, like mgo 2

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Of course the other easy counter to stealth-camo CQC is to just dive and shoot them where you land, since CQCing divers/people laying on ground is awkward and you gotta be in just right spot.

If someone's getting consistently caught by infiltrators to the point where its an issue for them, odds are they need to work on their awareness and possibly get some glasses.

How do you guys get parties started?

Do you do it by pressing in the Touchpad and using the menu there or do you use the PSN Party menu?

At least for me every time I open up that in-game menu I get a message about a network error and can't do anything in that menu so I'm wondering if people have managed to get it work another way.

Do you do it by pressing in the Touchpad and using the menu there or do you use the PSN Party menu?

At least for me every time I open up that in-game menu I get a message about a network error and can't do anything in that menu so I'm wondering if people have managed to get it work another way.

I was in freeroam earlier, joined a PSN party chat and when I returned to the game I was in a in-game party.

NeoGiff

Set up a party via PSN. Invite people to that party. Everyone get into MGO freemode. Everyone except the host has to press the left touchpad to bring up the party menu, then the right touchpad to ready up. The host then sets up a match. Voila.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Gonna play some in like 10' minutes
PSN: Fersis_4 (PS4)

Feel free to join

Ardenyal

*host has disconnected*
*host has disconnected*

I'm still lvl 11 because of the grindy nature and all these disconnects.

squallheart

I've been playing as an Scout. The only use I've got from the class is the detection grenades, they work great, other than the Sniper Rifle is not that great. To fix the Infiltrators the stealth should break if they run, and remove sprint from D-walkers.

I agree. Scout class is rather disappointing. Even sniping isn't fun compared to mgo2 with lack of vantage points. I love sniping in battlefield and you can't with how overpowered infiltrator is they run like maniacs lol

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying this out for a while now, and I just wanted to leave an opinion about it.

Say what you will about the other 2 MGOs but they had a certain pacing in the game that is lost in this one. This can be fixed be doing one simple thing: Removing the sprint. It's like putting a full sprint in Splinter Cell's old multiplayer, it just doesn't feel right. There have been too many times where Joe Shmoe Rambo would just come up and spray a group of guys(whether on my team or on the other team) during situations that should be stealthy and tense. I understand that the minimap shows running sounds of footsteps but it's too little too late when you look at the map and the other person is right in front of you. Right now, in most of my games, no one takes cover, no one tries stealth, and barely anyone fultons. Maybe it's different for others out there but what I described isn't Metal Gear, it's your standard Third/First Person Shooter.

I know it's early to judge, so I'm hoping people start using the mechanics better in the future instead of trying to treat this like another game. Right now it just feels like The Last of Us is a better online Metal Gear game than MGO itself.

Cob32

I agree. Scout class is rather disappointing. Even sniping isn't fun compared to mgo2 with lack of vantage points. I love sniping in battlefield and you can't with how overpowered infiltrator is they run like maniacs lol

I've been playing scout with an assault rifle and detection grenades. Playing it like an 'assault' class I get decent scores.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
II know it's early to judge, so I'm hoping people start using the mechanics better in the future instead of trying to treat this like another game. Right now it just feels like The Last of Us is a better online Metal Gear game than MGO itself.

I dont really remember a whole ton of "stealthy" games in MGO2 or 1 either. A couple good flankers and some true blue stealthy times that take advantage of the chaos but it's always a brutal gunfight. Or at least - always has been for me.

I've been trying this out for a while now, and I just wanted to leave an opinion about it.

Say what you will about the other 2 MGOs but they had a certain pacing in the game that is lost in this one. This can be fixed be doing one simple thing: Removing the sprint. It's like putting a full sprint in Splinter Cell's old multiplayer, it just doesn't feel right. There have been too many times where Joe Shmoe Rambo would just come up and spray a group of guys(whether on my team or on the other team) during situations that should be stealthy and tense. I understand that the minimap shows running sounds of footsteps but it's too little too late when you look at the map and the other person is right in front of you. Right now, in most of my games, no one takes cover, no one tries stealth, and barely anyone fultons. Maybe it's different for others out there but what I described isn't Metal Gear, it's your standard Third/First Person Shooter.

I know it's early to judge, so I'm hoping people start using the mechanics better in the future instead of trying to treat this like another game. Right now it just feels like The Last of Us is a better online Metal Gear game than MGO itself.

It's the damage, instant kills makes the killcount the biggest turnover, are no fire-fights that get drawn out. Kill, die, respawn for most people, over and over.

MGO2 was very action compared to MGO due to the headshots being so easy and insta death. Now in MGO bodyshots are high damage too, so the pace even faster.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I dont really remember a whole ton of "stealthy" games in MGO2 or 1 either. A couple good flankers and some true blue stealthy times that take advantage of the chaos but it's always a brutal gunfight. Or at least - always has been for me.

MGO 1 was much more stealth-focused than MGO 2 and 3. This partly has to do with the amazing map design(except for the long hallway map that always ended in gunfights) which had tons of ducts, ladders, boxes to climb and other places to infiltrate different areas, the inclusion of large building indoor maps, and the fact that your running speed was slower which made people think about where they would approach instead of running and gunning wildly. I'm not sure if the controls helped with this also but making it difficult to aim in first person in the first MGO was another factor that strangely enough helped it. The guns had weight(when turning, not just when running) and you couldn't 180 turn shotgun someone in the face as smoothly as you can in MGO3.

Also this:
It's the damage, instant kills makes the killcount the biggest turnover, are no fire-fights that get drawn out. Kill, die, respawn for most people, over and over.

MGO2 was very action compared to MGO due to the headshots being so easy and insta death. Now in MGO bodyshots are high damage too, so the pace even faster.

Spinluck

Yes you can.

Yeah that happened to me earlier and I was baffled. Thought they'd have to run around me so I just blamed it on netcode. That is a huge oversight, if they are sprinting towards me and I have a fucking riot shield raised up... They should be the ones with the disadvantage.

Unless they can get behind me...

Spinluck

Honestly I don't think it's the stealth that's that overpowered it's the CQC, the fact that it's 1 hit KO, buggy/laggy and can't be countered unless prone. I mean you would at least expect the riot shield to stop CQC from the front.

Also for anyone that may not know the defenders can see the disc floating above your head when you take it, like mgo 2

Stealth is underpowered in this game.

The cloaked ability isn't stealth at all and most people are shit at using it. It's the fact that it's so generous and people use it mostly for offensive purposes.

But yeah, CQC is insanely broken. Buggy and pretty inconsistent.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Would like in on the MGO GAF community as well!

PSN ID: WanderXMono

Can anyone who's actually high level confirm you get more clothes as you level up because people keep saying you do but I'm beginning to think ya'll are just making assumptions cause I'm level 18 and the stuff in the shop is exactly the same as when I started.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Stealth is underpowered in this game.

The cloaked ability isn't stealth at all and most people are shit at using it. It's the fact that it's so generous and people use it mostly for offensive purposes.

But yeah, CQC is insanely broken. Buggy and pretty inconsistent.

When you think you're about to be CQC'd, dive towards the person. They can't grab you, it knocks them down and gives you a chance to shoot them. I've annoyed a few people doing that to the point where they actively find my name and hunt me down when someone is visibly standing next to me waiting to be shot. I guess dive tackling is seen as a way of trolling or something.

Nuke Soda

Feel like Oprah with the sleep grenades.

You get a sleep grenade and you get a sleep grenade and you get a sleep grenade.

I will sleep grenade myself.

NeoGiff

I'll be coming on in a few minutes and setting up a party in the community. The max amount of players it can hold is 8, so whoever gets there first wins I guess.

fritzo

I get what you're saying. But maybe punish sprinters by marking them if they are near the enemy or something like that. Or mark them on the mini map as well.

Resilient

Holy shit this is a disappointment.

What is the point of playing stealth AT ALL in any game mode? Seems the best tactic is to just sprint, stealth and spray until everybody is dead. There is no reward for playing stealth, in a game where the stealth mechanic is the foundation. It really is just another run and gun TPS. What a fucking horrible display I had last night. Gave it 2 hours, and it shat in my face. I'm super salty right now, because if I wanted to run around and shoot people real quick, I'd play one of the many other games out there that let me do that. Why on Earth they brought it to MGO I'll never know. Another giant fuck up for this game.

Also, why do you automatically become Snake and Ocelot in some game types?

aember

Just finished like 5 hours with a group of 5 (incl me).

This is by far the most fun I've had in a PvP game.

Having myself, 2 friends and a random (6v6) cause chaos, alongside a Scout who's sniping at a distance and an Infiltrator who's running around specifically fultoning people - freakin awesome. Can't wait to play even more on the weekend!

FatalT

Banned
The scout is absolutely a counter to the Infiltrator. Optics+ increases daylight night vision and it's so easy to spot a camouflaged enemy.

EDIT: I meant Optics++. The Level 2 (3?) one.

EDIT 2: Here's raw data of all the customization things:

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=7bCHfdYi

I WANT A KITTY CAT HAT!

Holy shit this is a disappointment.

What is the point of playing stealth AT ALL in any game mode? Seems the best tactic is to just sprint, stealth and spray until everybody is dead. There is no reward for playing stealth, in a game where the stealth mechanic is the foundation. It really is just another run and gun TPS. What a fucking horrible display I had last night. Gave it 2 hours, and it shat in my face. I'm super salty right now, because if I wanted to run around and shoot people real quick, I'd play one of the many other games out there that let me do that. Why on Earth they brought it to MGO I'll never know. Another giant fuck up for this game.

Also, why do you automatically become Snake and Ocelot in some game types?

There's plenty of reasons to stealth, you can interrogate people, fulton more people, get behind enemy lines, sneak into heavily guarded points, jack walker gears, at worst if you get caught then you become a distraction, etc. I don't know what else you guys want.

Yea, it isn't the most immediately rewarding thing when you can just shoot someone instead, but it's super good.

xRaizen

The last 5 Cloak and Dagger matches I've played have completely turned me off from the game. The defenders just rushed the attacker's area in teams of 2 or 3 and killed everyone off. I'm done.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
There's plenty of reasons to stealth, you can interrogate people, fulton more people, get behind enemy lines, sneak into heavily guarded points, jack walker gears, at worst if you get caught then you become a distraction, etc. I don't know what else you guys want.

Yea, it isn't the most immediately rewarding thing when you can just shoot someone instead, but it's super good.

I personally want those methods you just listed to be more viable. I have only seen 1 interrogation go down in a match and that person was shot in the face before he had the chance to do so. The only way to get away with fultons is to be far away from anyone else(friend and enemy). I say this because I was playing the game mode with tickets and I managed to stun someone worth 11 tickets, fultoned them and my level 7 partner shot them dead in the face(even though the area was clear) before they managed to be fultoned. Someone at level 7 should start to know how the rules work in that game mode, but I'm suspecting he didn't care because he just wanted to shoot. Getting behind enemy lines and sneaking into posts rarely works because people are too busy sprinting around the map in a crazy manner.

All of those methods you listed feel great to do and can be accomplished, in Single Player. In Multiplayer, it is like trying to be Sam Fisher in a Call of Duty environment. It just doesn't work and ends in frustration because of the sprint-and-spray mentality.

Top Bottom