• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

lifa-cobex

Booted up for a quick match and it spawned me in the enemy base when the match began.
Everyone just stared at me for five secs until i dropped a location grenade.

Reule

https://www.reddit.com/r/mgo/comments/3nyrxm/mgo_infiltrator_ascension/

Guess I'm going to have to play all day now! I want! Now I'm curious for what you get for later Ascensions. It's such a crawl even with great games after 20.

I'm having a load of fun with the game, though. There are some things I miss and it feels a bit light compared to even base MGO 2 pre-DLC but it still is offering a good time. I'm hoping they support this game well enough with paid and free content.

Booted up for a quick match and it spawned me in the enemy base when the match began.

image.php

They could use MGO2/MGO maps, has any other game done that without people calling them lazy fucks for reusing content?

Pretty much every big online shooter, Halo, COD, Battlefield, etc use returning maps from previous games as DLC. They're usually completely remade with better graphics.

You missed a chance to salute.

I had a weird glitch where the distances to the comms were above the wrong points, was very confusing to navigate.

Banzai

Secret tip: In C&D use mortars on the africa map. Then interrogate whoever tries to sneak up on you and keep mortar-ing.

Been getting a lot of kills this way. Like 90% of those mortar kills were pure luck though so ymmv

Secret tip: In C&D use mortars on the africa map. Then interrogate whoever tries to sneak up on you and keep mortar-ing.

Been getting a lot of kills this way. Like 90% of those mortar kills were pure luck though so ymmv

I've seen someone doing that, it's pretty funny.

RaidenXZ

If I remember correctly, back when MGO 2 first started, it wasn't anywhere near what this game is. The updates took forever, it took forever to ever get into a match and it was super laggy. Maybe this is how I remember it but MGO 3 seems to have a much better launch than MGO 2. Sure by the time it finished, MGO 2 was absolutely amazing and had many more bells and whistles, but MGO 3 (although it has less game modes) will probably be just as good or even better after some time out in the wild

KOMANI

KOMANI
How would you compare it to the Last of Us MP, as that is currently my favorite MP game.
It's not as fun as the last of us MP. TLOU MP had my heart racing many times.
MGO3 is ok. It's like a celebrity who has been through bad plastic surgery... You recognize it, it seems familiar, but there's something not right about it.

d9b

Banned
It's not as fun as the last of us MP. TLOU MP had my heart racing many times.
MGO3 is ok. It's like a celebrity who has been through bad plastic surgery... You recognize it, it seems familiar, but there's something not right about it.
But you still would.

I don't know where this idea that boxes were some super amazing force of nature in MGO2 are coming from. Yea there were boxes scattered around the maps, but they were literally the first thing to get shot every round, I could probably count the number of times I successfully used/was killed with a box on my fingers (maybe toes, I played a lot of MGO2). They're plenty useful in this because no one uses them so no one is looking out for them, I've ran around corners and jumped into a box and had everyone run by like Scooby Doo, I've also walked into rooms and totally glossed over boxes, and apparently I have wizard eyes since I seem to be one of the only ones who has zero issue spotting cloaked people. I ain't saying it's something you should constantly bet your life on, but it works. At least about as much as it did in MGO2.

There seem to be a lot of rose-tinted memories about MGO2 getting thrown around in this thread.

It was primarily a stealth based games and that was the most viable way of playing: Hell no. It was clunky third person Counter-Strike. If you wanted to do well you didn't sneak, you either got really good at headshots and ran around instakilling everyone, or picked a shotgun if you couldn't aim.

CQC was really tight, balanced, and well done: It was barely functional. It was wonky as fuck, it was like rolling the dice every time you pressed the CQC button, sometimes you'd grab, sometimes you'd throw, sometimes you'd punch, sometimes you'd grab someone from 20ft away, sometimes you'd be so close you were sticking your hands through them and it wasn't working. Not to mention max grade CQC basically made you immune to everyone else's CQC.

Was somehow not as "grindy" as MGO3: Try getting any skill in MGO2 to max level and tell me it isn't grindy. You want max scan? Get ready to go into a room with your friend and scan them for 3 hours straight. Or trying to use your 5 point daily login to buy one of the items in the shop that were all like 5000+ points.

Online connection was better: Konami ran that game on some Dollar General servers held together with chewing gum. At least in MGO3 if you have a good connection you can host a room with only a few hiccups, in MGO2 you had to pray whatever rodent was living inside the servers would stop chewing on the wires long enough to get a game in.

I wan to be clear that I loved MGO2 and I played it waaaaaaaaaaay more than I probably should have, but ya'll talking like the game was some forgotten masterpiece that anything else should strive to be like(outside of some level designs) are nuts.

Is anyone playing other classes than infiltrator? I feel like this needs to be addressed quickly before Konami kills support for this games updates.
It's just people who don't know the game yet, once people realize how much Scout rock Infiltrators it'll be better.

The Metal Gear quirk definitely sets this game apart from a lot of other western shooters. Which is why MGO 2 was so beloved despite its rather clunky game play.

I don't know how anyone could possibly call MGO2 clunky. One of the fastest paced and most fluid games I've ever played.

I'm disappointed at how bare-bones this is.

There's hardly any options when creating a match. We need to be able to enable/disable nearly everything: classes, loadouts, skills, weapons, items, marking, sprinting etc.

Also, reducing the amount of GP you get in custom matches is stupid. I know their reasoning is to keep people from farming but my response to that, is "Why?" GP is only related to cosmetic stuff, so what the fuck does it matter if someone unlocks Hat X or Jacket Y?

Is XP earned in custom matches also reduced, then -- you know, the stuff that actually levels you and gets you new, non-cosmetic gear but game-changing gear? I'm so sick of the way most devs do unlockable shit, i.e. "Play for 10hrs to change the color of your shirt!"

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know how anyone could possibly call MGO2 clunky. One of the fastest paced and most fluid games I've ever played.

It wasn't exactly clunky, sure, but fast-paced? The squaddies ran like they in molasses, especially up inclines.

I don't know where this idea that boxes were some super amazing force of nature in MGO2 are coming from. Yea there were boxes scattered around the maps, but they were literally the first thing to get shot every round, I could probably count the number of times I successfully used/was killed with a box on my fingers (maybe toes, I played a lot of MGO2). They're plenty useful in this because no one uses them so no one is looking out for them, I've ran around corners and jumped into a box and had everyone run by like Scooby Doo, I've also walked into rooms and totally glossed over boxes, and apparently I have wizard eyes since I seem to be one of the only ones who has zero issue spotting cloaked people. I ain't saying it's something you should constantly bet your life on, but it works. At least about as much as it did in MGO2.

There seem to be a lot of rose-tinted memories about MGO2 getting thrown around in this thread.

It was primarily a stealth based games and that was the most viable way of playing: Hell no. It was clunky third person Counter-Strike. If you wanted to do well you didn't sneak, you either got really good at headshots and ran around instakilling everyone, or picked a shotgun if you couldn't aim.

CQC was really tight, balanced, and well done: It was barely functional. It was wonky as fuck, it was like rolling the dice every time you pressed the CQC button, sometimes you'd grab, sometimes you'd throw, sometimes you'd punch, sometimes you'd grab someone from 20ft away, sometimes you'd be so close you were sticking your hands through them and it wasn't working. Not to mention max grade CQC basically made you immune to everyone else's CQC.

Was somehow not as "grindy" as MGO3: Try getting any skill in MGO2 to max level and tell me it isn't grindy. You want max scan? Get ready to go into a room with your friend and scan them for 3 hours straight. Or trying to use your 5 point daily login to buy one of the items in the shop that were all like 5000+ points.

Online connection was better: Konami ran that game on some Dollar General servers held together with chewing gum. At least in MGO3 if you have a good connection you can host a room with only a few hiccups, in MGO2 you had to pray whatever rodent was living inside the servers would stop chewing on the wires long enough to get a game in.

I wan to be clear that I loved MGO2 and I played it waaaaaaaaaaay more than I probably should have, but ya'll talking like the game was some forgotten masterpiece that anything else should strive to be like(outside of some level designs) are nuts.

Pretty much this^

Any tips for scout? I'm level 8 and getting wrecked when I try to use the sniper. It seems like these maps weren't built for sniping or something.

Dunk#7

QUESTION

I have been too wrapped up in Destiny to get started on MGO3...

If I LOVED MGO2 what are the odds of enjoying MGO3 the same way? Those who played MGO2 a lot what are your impressions? Just as fun?

Icefire1424

It's just people who don't know the game yet, once people realize how much Scout rock Infiltrators it'll be better.

Man speaks the truth. Infiltrators excel in engagements against targets operating alone - especially Enforcers. As there are many newbs out there playing as lone wolves, the Infiltrator strategy of cloaking, neutralizing and extracting an enemy is a very viable one.

However.

A single Infiltrator playing against a coordinated team, or even a small squad will lose every single time. By the time an ally is neutralized by a cloaked Infiltrator, the squad or buddy is made is aware of the threat and engages them. This is why the buddy system is so important in this game.

The current meta (if you can even call it that, the game has only been available for two days) favors the Infiltrators as a majority of the players aren't defending against them. Teamwork is their counter, and unfortunately, a significant number of players aren't playing well as a team.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
QUESTION

If I LOVED MGO2 what are the odds of enjoying MGO3 the same way? Those who played MGO2 a lot what are your impressions? Just as fun?

It's streamlined, not "dumbed down".

I was an MGO 2 hardcore, RWD point farmer, you name it. This game puts everyone at a fair chance to execute strategies well.

No more exploitable moves for people with 20 fingers.

It's still MGO, just done better.

Evil Beaver

Is anyone playing other classes than infiltrator? I feel like this needs to be addressed quickly before Konami kills support for this games updates.

I seem to be the only enforcer. Big gun, with lots & lots of ammo but no accuracy to be of any good. At least not until I unlock the accuracy skills.

Any tips for scout? I'm level 8 and getting wrecked when I try to use the sniper. It seems like these maps weren't built for sniping or something.

Sniping is highly dependent on lag and/or your ability to get headshots, otherwise you'll just rack up a bunch of assists.

My main Scout loadout is the assault rifle / .45 pistol / Enemy Locators x 5 / your preferred skills.

You can get a ton of points throwing E.Loc's into crowded areas.

SomTervo

Goddamn straight, especially the bolded. MGO2 was a great thing and I'm sad they killed it - but it also had a shitton of annoying flaws and awkward shit. Sometimes it just wasn't that fun to play. So many imbalances IIRC - I remember not being able to find a game that wasn't full of OP people, even if it was apparently at my level.

I see this and get jealous. Most of my teammates seem to give up on you once your feet leave the ground.

Try following your buddy around a lot in Bounty Hunt. When people realise that you're actually playing their buddy they'll start intuitively working closer with you.

How do I join a GAF game on PS4...? Do I have to get an invite? I tried last night but to no avail!

I think you have to do it through players in the community - press L1 to look at who's playing online, see if you can join them or party up.

I'll be on soon, FYI. Probably not for long, tonight, though, lots of work to do.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think you have to do it through players in the community - press L1 to look at who's playing online, see if you can join them or party up.

I'll be on soon, FYI. Probably not for long, tonight, though, lots of work to do.

Nice one.

I won't be on till much later, chief. Got the missus and the kid to think about. Selfish bastards.

SomTervo

QUESTION

I was a really big MGO2 fan and I think MGO3 is fantastic. They've gated a lot more of the complicated/powerful content and have streamlined the gameplay and game modes into far more refined, fun things.

When you're playing it it feels superficial and 'dumbed down' but if you start playing intelligently, you realise it's really not. It's a fantastic multiplayer game.

It's streamlined, not "dumbed down".

I was an MGO 2 hardcore, RWD point farmer, you name it. This game puts everyone at a fair chance to execute strategies well.

No more exploitable moves for people with 20 fingers.

It's still MGO, just done better.

That^

Nice one.

I won't be on till much later, chief. Got the missus and the kid to think about. Selfish bastards.

Had no idea you were a man-maker and a home-maker Meaty. I'll be divided between MGO, work, and the Battlefront beta (PC), so may or may not catch you.

Reebot

I seem to be the only enforcer. Big gun, with lots & lots of ammo but no accuracy to be of any good. At least not until I unlock the accuracy skills.

Enforcers need a buff. Right now there's not much point, they're outclassed at a majority or engagement ranges by scouts or infiltrators.

I was only reading negative first impressions so wasn't expecting much but just played 2 hours of bounty and loved it. So freaking good with these god like mechanics. Excited for the stealth modes. Gosh this game just keeps on giving.

Top Bottom