• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Please explain the bounty system to me, especially someone with 15+ bounty. Don't think the game does a great job of telling players not to play this like Uncharted multiplayer.

Every single kills adds to your bounty, but you can lower that bounty by fultoning others. Fultoning an enemy also adds that bounty to the remaining tickets of your team.

So if I have a bounty of +8 and my team has 10 tickets and they have 15, if I then fulton someone with +6 my bounty will be reduced to +2 and my team will have 16 tickets, and will be in the lead because of that.

Banzai

It's impossible to delete the first character right? Kinda regret making him an infiltrator...

Has anyone tried deleting mgo game data?

I just wanna play bounty hunter and last night it always put me in cloak and dagger matches. What's up with that? All the settings for search match/server were correct on my end.

DesuNe

Ive had quite a few matches where I join halfway through a Cloak and Dagger match, which is idiotic as I spawn dead and miss out on an entire round/the game.

Anyone else had this?

Ardenyal

I just wanna play bounty hunter and last night it always put me in cloak and dagger matches. What's up with that? All the settings for search match/server were correct on my end.

Game mode can change from map to map. Game probably put you in after a bounty hunter map but didnt take into account that the next one is c&d lol

AHindD

Well, yeah. That's not what I asked, though.

Yeah its dumb you can't change the class of your main character, especially when you're forced to make a decision without knowing the nuances of the 3 classes.

Should have at least let you change class, but be reset to level 1.

LeonSPBR

My team was losing the match 7 to 20

By some miracle, I stun someone with 15+ bounty.

I start fultoning him.

Teammate suddenly runs in and proceeds to shoot him in the fucking face.

bpdkc1i8l1lp0ds5sfdz.gif

Yeah, been throught that as well, and I won a match thanks to an enemy idiot who stopped me for being fultoned and I for the match for 6 ticket, which was what I was worth.

Octacamo

does any one know about the unlock tree as to what gets unlocked in each level up?

also is the leveling up and unlocking stuff is different for different class?

SomTervo

Mind if I add you/you add me?

PSN: schemingmeat

Weird. I played consistent matches over 4 hours.

Add me up, bubba ho-tep.

kenshi_ryden

I might be on this early PM

Think I'm ready to call it: this isn't as fun as MGO2. Its too chaotic, lag feels even more of a problem due to faster Time To Kill, then you have walkers which just fuck everything up.

It's weird you say this, because for me MGO2 always felt way too chaotic in a non-fun way. MGO3 feels like structured, fast paced chaos where you can get back into gameplay immediately and try again. MGO2 felt like frustrating chaos that never/rarely hit a good rhythm and often left you hanging on respawn screens because of quirky gameplay.

It was still great, but I'm certainly preferring MGO3's tight, focused approach.

I don't know how many hours I've been playing this for, but I'm feeling it.

Sorry to the party I just left. Hopefully we'll play together later in the week.

I think it's a grower, personally. They seem to have gated a lot of the content very carefully, but it's fun even before you get to that stage.

It's impossible to delete the first character right? Kinda regret making him an infiltrator...

Has anyone tried deleting mgo game data?

Infiltrator gets awesome when you have a couple more loadouts.

Loomba

If you have less gear / carry less items do you run faster? I see there is a rank depending on what you have equipped.

Also does anyone know what level you unlock the Macht 37, red dot sight and 2nd attachment?

EDIT: Dot sight is level 15, just seen it on a stream

TS-08

If you have less gear / carry less items do you run faster? I see there is a rank depending on what you have equipped.

Also does anyone know what level you unlock the Macht 37, red dot sight and 2nd attachment?

Yes to the first question. Don't know on the second.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's weird you say this, because for me MGO2 always felt way too chaotic in a non-fun way. MGO3 feels like structured, fast paced chaos where you can get back into gameplay immediately and try again. MGO2 felt like frustrating chaos that never/rarely hit a good rhythm and often left you hanging on respawn screens because of quirky gameplay.

It was still great, but I'm certainly preferring MGO3's tight, focused approach.

Its probably more about map design than anything. MGO2's maps had more kill corridors and choke points that forced tactical use of weapons (which were all unlockable from the off with points), and also a helluva lot more verticality. Man-cannons shooting you up onto building tops for sniping duels, alleyway traps, and so on.

MGO3's maps, due to being carved out of an open world game, are too open and not well designed for multiplayer. Whats there can still be fun due to the combat sandbox, but its only because of that. All the other tightness of MGO's past is lost and it just becomes another shoot-fest with less of an identity. A slow unlock grind also robs it of actual fun from the off.

Its probably more about map design than anything. MGO2's maps had more kill corridors and choke points that forced tactical use of weapons (which were all unlockable from the off with points), and also a helluva lot more verticality. Man-cannons shooting you up onto building tops for sniping duels, alleyway traps, and so on.

MGO3's maps, due to being carved out of an open world game, are too open and not well designed for multiplayer. Whats there can still be fun due to the combat sandbox, but its only because of that. All the other tightness of MGO's past is lost and it just becomes another shoot-fest with less of an identity. A slow unlock grind also robs it of actual fun from the off.

Not to mention the lack of personality and uniqueness that previous MGOs had. Where's the /sing emote, where's the radio chatter that was fun to do...even a simple "ha ha ha". This Metal Gear is so soulless compared to the rest of the series in so many ways.

Edit: I miss doing this at the end of a match :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_659oqbmuM

TS-08

Not to mention the lack of personality and uniqueness that previous MGOs had. Where's the /sing emote, where's the radio chatter that was fun to do...even a simple "ha ha ha". This Metal Gear is so soulless compared to the rest of the series in so many ways.

Edit: I miss doing this at the end of a match :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_659oqbmuM

The radio chatter is in there, if you're referring to the preset messages like "Good luck!" and so forth.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The radio chatter is in there, if you're referring to the preset messages like "Good luck!" and so forth.

Its more that its barebones. In MGO2 you could set your own radio chatter from tons more samples with weirder stuff like just laughing and odder dialogue. Now you just get a standard set.

No cardboard boxes laid about for hilarious fake outs. No more saluting while flying through the air. No more hold ups which was the TRUE reward for stealthing.

Theres a shred of the fun left in things like Plush snares and box-tobogganing, but it feels like drops of drink in a desert compared to the madness of past MGO's.

Its more that its barebones. In MGO2 you could set your own radio chatter from tons more samples with weirder stuff like just laughing and odder dialogue. Now you just get a standard set.

No cardboard boxes laid about for hilarious fake outs. No more saluting while flying through the air. No more hold ups which was the TRUE reward for stealthing.

Theres a shred of the fun left in things like Plush snares and box-tobogganing, but it feels like drops of drink in a desert compared to the madness of past MGO's.

Yeah, what the hell? It's like the cardboard box is completely useless in multiplayer, because before you at least had fake ones spread throughout the map. If you're in a box now...it's like you give them a bigger target to spot

To be fair most of MGO2's funny codecs were DLC

Also I'm pretty sure I saw a fake box or two.

Demoskinos

Do you unlock gun attachments as you level? I do not have a silencer for my Wu Tranq pistol yet but the one pre-set class loadout has one on the pistol.

Yeah, what the hell? It's like the cardboard box is completely useless in multiplayer, because before you at least had fake ones spread throughout the map. If you're in a box now...it's like you give them a bigger target to spot

Pretty sure everyone knew where the fake boxes were anyway. It was immensely obvious when it was a person.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yes to the codecs.
I do miss the cardboard boxes covering the map.
Yes to the boxes.
No to the maps.
MGO had a disgustingly slow skills grind if you remember. I remember training rooms where people CQC'd each other for hours on end. Yes there was more verticality. But you can have all the sniper duels now. There's lots of wide roads and valleys with debris and obstacles in the sides of them. There's also a lot of enclosed buildings with multiple levels where you can be stealthy. Though the times for stealth are mostly when you and an opponent happen to be in the same structure at the same time. The buddy system drills down more 2 v 2 matches within the bigger match itself. I don't know about y'all but I'm constantly talking to my friend and setting up flanks covered by something that could be call suppressing fire. Even outside the buddy system the "I'll get his attention, you go up that ladder" technique I do all the time.

I missed the OHKO head shots. But then I realized bringing down the TTK allowed more maneuvers. I missed linking up. But then I realized having just one teammate to do maneuvers with could be just as effective. The way the guns themselves handle is fine too. You can put down burst of long and medium range fire and still keep some semblance of accuracy.

My biggest complaint is that it isn't wacky enough. But it's wackier than every other shooter combined right now.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
BTW you can customize your messages on the options menu.
There's a bunch of additional messages not just the 'default' ones.

But yeah: No fake Boxes is weird
Having said that, this is the best MGO launch ever and a great starting point to patch the game to Legendary Status

There are chatter options if you go into the pause menu, you can set it to be different per game mode which is a nice touch.
I agree the lines were more fun back in the day though. Especially if you stick with your avatar as your character, Keifer's lines are so bland...

Dumb question... but I just got Phantom Pain... do I need to play it first or is Multiplayer online unlocked from the start? Like 2 seperate games....?

TS-08

Yeah I do think I saw a fake box once, but they aren't as prevalent.

And going back to the codec messages, I think it speaks to the rose colored glasses some people have when remembering MGO2 at launch. Tons of things people revere (survival, tournaments, TNSE, many of the options on codec messages and gear) came after launch. Unless Konami has sent this game out to die, I expect much of the same by way of DLC and updates this time around. The only concern I'd have is how they will price everything.

Yeah I do think I saw a fake box once, but they aren't as prevalent.

And going back to the codec messages, I think it speaks to the rose colored glasses some people have when remembering MGO2 at launch. Tons of things people revere (survival, tournaments, TNSE, many of the options on codec messages and gear) came after launch. Unless Konami has sent this game out to die, I expect much of the same by way of DLC and updates this time around. The only concern I'd have is how they will price everything.

The fake boxes you guys are probably spotting are left there by other players. You can walk out of a box, so they aren't being left there by the game. Again, getting back to my point that...boxes are not normal to see in the game, so if anyone spots one, you know it's there because of another player.

TS-08

Everyone just rolled on any boxes they saw, no one was actually falling for that after a while.

Tons of people, even good players "after a while," didn't always roll over every box, and if I noticed one remaining on the map after several minutes, I would break it and wait in my box, which worked a ton.

Has anyone gotten to rank 19 Infiltrator yet? I got disconnected from the room reall fast after the match ended, but I'm 99% positive it said I unlocked a Wu pistol that looked like an SMG, but it ain't in my loadout.

Same thing for me, said unlocked, but no gun.

It's an underbarrel pistol attachment for your assault rifle.

And in case anyone else is wondering, you can select alternate codec phrases from the options menu.

Hi guys, I have this game on PC thus I won't play MGO goodness for at least 2 or 3 more months, so I have 2 questions.
- Is MGO micro transactions free? Before launch must people were saying that MGO will have a lot of it.
And second, what is the consensus on the classes so far? I was leaning toward infiltrator but it seems that class is not as good? Thanks

Icefire1424

Managed to get a couple quick games in last night. Didn't hit anyone up on GAF since I didn't know how much time I was going to have (just put kiddo to sleep and wife was out of the house). Few thoughts so far:

- Lag is definitely present, and it is impactful to gameplay. Fortunately, it also appears to be somewhat inconsistent. Noticed a few instances of players "teleporting" short distances, and one where an opponent and I killed each other simultaneously due to lag, following a head on encounter. That needs some work.

- MGO not only encourages, but rewards coordinated team play. I was fairly lucky in that the causals I played with were pretty team oriented, by generally keeping within visual range of each other. The threat of Infiltrators was largely mitigated, as even in the circumstances where an Infiltrator grappled an ally, there was someone nearby to neutralize them, and quickly.

- As in previous instances of MGO, this is significantly more tactical than COD or BF. Pretty obvious which gamers came from that background, as they were running around unsupported out in the open. They usually died pretty quickly to a force using cover, and each other, effectively.

- Hit detection seems a bit wonky, as does TTK (time to kill). Not sure if it was tied to lag, but couple instances of putting several bullets into a Tango, and them walking away. Headshots are still the best way to go, hits to the core are a bit hit or miss for damage output.

- D Walkers are definitely a threat, but manageable. They work better as a suppression platform than damage dealers since their spread is all over the place at distance, but put out enough volume where using cover if attacked is essential. Flaking, or combined fire takes them out easily enough. If a team actually manages to support one with infantry effectively, I could see them as a major threat. Fortunately, no one seems to have figured this out yet, and the operator typically goes out lone wolf, and pays for it.

- Newbs are still pretty rampant at the moment. Couple instances of killing a teammates interrogated Tango, but not as bad as I would have suspected. Again, I may have just gotten lucky with the team I ended up with.

Overall, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with the game. It's lacking a lot of polish and the lag does need to be addressed, but the mechanics of a really great game are there. Definitely not for the run and gun crowd, but I see them getting frustrated and quitting quickly. Teams that play as a cohesive unit will absolutely dominate.

While I'll concede that I've had a blast with it so far, I gotta agree here. The problem with the openness is exacerbated by the lethality of weapons.

Narrow chokepoints forced the action in a small sector, while creating opportunities for taking the long way around, which I always gravitate toward doing as a way to swing the tide in the team's favor. Doing that here exposes you to multiple cross-field shots when the favor is toward finding perches or stealthing in corners with open fields of vision.

But like I said, I'm having a blast. I'll adjust how I play and hope that the coming maps (please don't be paid DLC, if only because it will split the playerbase) push toward the MGO2 style of layered verticality (not just boxes to climb to rooftops) with tighter corridors and chokepoints.

Top Bottom