• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

I was only reading negative first impressions so wasn't expecting much but just played 2 hours of bounty and loved it. So freaking good with these god like mechanics. Excited for the stealth modes. Gosh this game just keeps on giving.

Everyone is just really negative overall with MGSV. Have to stay away from these threads

Everyone is just really negative overall with MGSV. Have to stay away from these threads

Pretty much.

I don't know where this idea that boxes were some super amazing force of nature in MGO2 are coming from. Yea there were boxes scattered around the maps, but they were literally the first thing to get shot every round, I could probably count the number of times I successfully used/was killed with a box on my fingers (maybe toes, I played a lot of MGO2). They're plenty useful in this because no one uses them so no one is looking out for them, I've ran around corners and jumped into a box and had everyone run by like Scooby Doo, I've also walked into rooms and totally glossed over boxes, and apparently I have wizard eyes since I seem to be one of the only ones who has zero issue spotting cloaked people. I ain't saying it's something you should constantly bet your life on, but it works. At least about as much as it did in MGO2.

There seem to be a lot of rose-tinted memories about MGO2 getting thrown around in this thread.

It was primarily a stealth based games and that was the most viable way of playing: Hell no. It was clunky third person Counter-Strike. If you wanted to do well you didn't sneak, you either got really good at headshots and ran around instakilling everyone, or picked a shotgun if you couldn't aim.

CQC was really tight, balanced, and well done: It was barely functional. It was wonky as fuck, it was like rolling the dice every time you pressed the CQC button, sometimes you'd grab, sometimes you'd throw, sometimes you'd punch, sometimes you'd grab someone from 20ft away, sometimes you'd be so close you were sticking your hands through them and it wasn't working. Not to mention max grade CQC basically made you immune to everyone else's CQC.

Was somehow not as "grindy" as MGO3: Try getting any skill in MGO2 to max level and tell me it isn't grindy. You want max scan? Get ready to go into a room with your friend and scan them for 3 hours straight. Or trying to use your 5 point daily login to buy one of the items in the shop that were all like 5000+ points.

Online connection was better: Konami ran that game on some Dollar General servers held together with chewing gum. At least in MGO3 if you have a good connection you can host a room with only a few hiccups, in MGO2 you had to pray whatever rodent was living inside the servers would stop chewing on the wires long enough to get a game in.

I wan to be clear that I loved MGO2 and I played it waaaaaaaaaaay more than I probably should have, but ya'll talking like the game was some forgotten masterpiece that anything else should strive to be like(outside of some level designs) are nuts.

Also, this.

Dragoshi1

Gah, spawn camping is real and stupid.

And Run n' Gun is still the norm.

Also, If I'm sneaking around invisible, someone always runs up behind me and CQC's me. Apparently, even if you're invisible, to a non-invisible player, if they approach you, they still get a prompt to grab and slam you. Which is dumb, as they can just sprint around a map, mashing R2 until it happens.

Is the dam level only for cloak and dagger? I'm not sure I remember it in the other modes.ite

Had a good moment where I was being chased with the disc and dived into the little vent by the river under the central dam building, waited for my pursuer to crawl in after me so I could tranq him as he went prone. Thankfully he wasn't the petrol bomb throwing type.

I've been having fun on the enforcer, despite whatever shortcomings it may have. Grenade drop on death is somewhat satisfying, especially when you drop a sleeping gas grenade mwahaha

Managed to play two or three games on launch day..... but since then its been an absolute struggle to get into matches. maybe one in every 10 attempts to connect get me into one,while the rest just discconect me from the session...

Enforcers need a buff. Right now there's not much point, they're outclassed at a majority or engagement ranges by scouts or infiltrators.

They shred walker gears and lay down suppressing fire like it's going out of style, you just have to know his purpose. He is probably the worst class overall, but I don't think he's in dire need of a buff or anything.

Edit: thought I'd double posted.
Hadn't considered enforcer would drop a sleeping grenade! Maybe i'll adapt that setup for c&d attack. He's fun to use in the comms mode and I just got underbarrel grenade launcher too.

Edit: thought I'd double posted.
Hadn't considered enforcer would drop a sleeping grenade! Maybe i'll adapt that setup for c&d attack. He's fun to use in the comms mode and I just got underbarrel grenade launcher too.

The only drawback is that it's still S L O W release when you drop it, so it's best to bunker down in a tighter area that isn't too easy to escape from. I'd love a Complex type map to appear at some point, like old school Spy v Mercs from Splinter Cell.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm having a ball.

Already had a handful of those clutch MGS moments...... so much fun.

3 hours in, only one host disconnect: didn't lose the XP though, all good.
Bit laggy, Bit janky, Bit awesome.

fritzo

has anyone gotten their MGO DLC from PSN? I chatted with Amazon so they might be sending me a code hopefully. And I made a support ticket with Konami. Anyone gotten a new code?

Big chunky recoil bullets of nothing.

Close range they are usable, but only just.
Even bursts its like 20 shots to land a hit and its like 5 hits to kill besides a headshot.
meanwhile they can whip around and hit you with half an SMG mag from across the map.

Could really use the suppression effect from Ghost Recon Future Soldier that made the targets camera get crazy and affected their aim.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So skills don't level by usage?

I have shields + on but I haven't been winning so I've been stuck at level 13 for a while

I'll ask again since my post was at the bottom of the page and the thread is picking up pace.

Hi guys, I have this game on PC thus I won't play MGO goodness for at least 2 or 3 more months, so I have 2 questions.
- Is MGO micro transactions free? Before launch must people were saying that MGO will have a lot of it.
And second, what is the consensus on the classes so far? I was leaning toward infiltrator but it seems that class is not as good? Thanks

Spinluck

Man, as you get better at the game, taking out Walkers is cake. I'm finding new ways every time. Vigilant walker users can still wipe a team though.

I still can't get over the fact that you can CQC an enforcer with a riot shield up. That makes the Infiltrator a far better aggressive option. By far the most unbalanced class. At least the snipers have to have some kind of skill.

Infiltrators are rewarded even for shit play and tactics. Once it's nerfed this game will be better for it. Way to generous with the cloak, and it recharges so fast that the cool down is hardly a cool down.

Alienous

Hey Koji Pro LA. I'll do your job for you and balance Ocelot.

Spamming R2 should fire regular bullets. Holding R2 should do a charge shot from one of the revolvers that ricochets off of surfaces.

So it would be a case of holding down R2 for 1.5 seconds to have it bounce off of surfaces and shoot people behind cover, giving the defending player an opportunity to run away, but still allowing Ocelot to finish off wounded enemies. You could also make the ricochet shots louder to distinguish them from others.

Even bursts its like 20 shots to land a hit and its like 5 hits to kill besides a headshot.
meanwhile they can whip around and hit you with half an SMG mag from across the map.

Could really use the suppression effect from Ghost Recon Future Soldier that made the targets camera get crazy and affected their aim.

Or at least have the LMG shooting shout.

Hi guys, I have this game on PC thus I won't play MGO goodness for at least 2 or 3 more months, so I have 2 questions.
- Is MGO micro transactions free? Before launch must people were saying that MGO will have a lot of it.
And second, what is the consensus on the classes so far? I was leaning toward infiltrator but it seems that class is not as good? Thanks
-The only micro transactions are cosmetic, and so far the only ones you can actually buy are coloring things gold and silver.
-infiltrator>scout>enforcer but they're all useful assuming you actually play them properly i.e. Not putting an assault rifle on your scout and trying to go toe to toe with a walker like most people
Edit: the classes are sort of Rock Paper Scissors-ish.

-The only micro transactions are cosmetic, and so far the only ones you can actually buy are coloring things gold and silver.
-infiltrator>scout>enforcer but they're all useful assuming you actually play them properly i.e. Not putting an assault rifle on your scout and trying to go toe to toe with a walker like most people
Edit: the classes are sort of Rock Paper Scissors-ish.
Cool, thanks
Can't wait to play this on PC.

Icefire1424

Scouts Makes infiltrator useless, enforcer woefully outguns scout, and infiltrator is too fast for enforcers to deal with. It's not 100%, but that's more or less how it works.

I will attest, however, that in early game Infiltrator is the most powerful as the other two classes are unable to effectively counter in a one on one situation.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
It's reflective of people focusing on what MGSV is not rather than what it is.

You keep believing that.

Not to derail the thread and have another one consumed by the "is it any good" debate but I think that is a huge part of the criticism ("Doesn't feel like Metal Gear!"/"Trailers lied" etc.). It certainly magnifies the vitriol.

On topic: Some thoughts about CQC.

I think they need to considering whether making one-shot CQC a specific perk a la MGO2 might work better and curb the Infiltrator flood. Maybe make them 2 slams for a knock out or a slam+kick. It'd give the other guy a chance, although I guess if you're working in a team one-shot CQC wouldn't be too much of an issue.

I play Infiltrator btw, so I'm not salty ;D

Scouts Makes infiltrator useless, enforcer woefully outguns scout, and infiltrator is too fast for enforcers to deal with. It's not 100%, but that's more or less how it balances out.

I can see that's what they were aiming for. They're pretty much there but the early game is hard on Enforcers and Scouts.

Alienous

I think the CQC slams are ok, but I do wonder if your ability to CQC should be temporarily disabled if shot. That would make rushing towards an enemy to CQC slam them harder to pull off.

Yeah, it's a weird one. I would've thought they'd have Stealth Camo open up at a similar time.

Are there no preset loadouts with NVGs? Also, how early do Scouts get a non-lethal primary?
Sleep rifle is at level 6 I think?

There's a default loadout with rank 2 ENVG but it has no sidearm, just a rifle, so you're useless up close.

Demoskinos

So do we have any confirmation as to what level cap is? I know the ascension thing says it opens up at lvl 37 but 37 seems like a weird level cap number.

Alienous

So do we have any confirmation as to what level cap is? I know the ascension thing says it opens up at lvl 37 but 37 seems like a weird level cap number.

I'm not there yet, but it seems to be 37.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game just runs out if things to give you.

aember

First Ascension is at 37, guy on reddit said according to the game, his next one will be at 38.

It'll probably cap out at 40 or something.

After a few matches of murdering my stats (for all that's worth), I think I'm going to have to give up on the Fulton punch. It's funny, but damn it sucks, the punch has deceptively short range, unlike Snake's punch it has no tracking, and using it is a total commitment because the sprinting puts you in radar and if you miss the recovery is huge. I gave it a more than honest shot, but for three skill slots I don't think it's worth it.

It's probably for the best though, it's one of those things that if it was good it would very likely slide into broken territory very easily.

Top Bottom