• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

NeoGiff

Had a great few hours with some GAFfers.

The game really seems to be catching on now. People are no longer just charging headlong into a firefight in Bounty Hunter. There are scouts sitting back sniping, infiltrators actually infiltrating and not being annoying pricks, and sometimes there are two clearly defined sides of the battlefield with no man's land in between.

SO has the game stabilized from release?

Do hosts grief with kicking players and leaving games often?

How is the balance, especially for the Cloaked mode

Alienous

So I'm guessing enforcers will get the Diamond Dogs Battle Armour.

What'll Scouts get? It's got to be the Ghille, now that I think about it.

Demoskinos

Okay finally experienced the frustration that is dudes killing people you're trying to fulton. I just want to rocket through time and space and punch them in their stupid faces. >_<

SO has the game stabilized from release?

Do hosts grief with kicking players and leaving games often?

How is the balance, especially for the Cloaked mode
I've never seen a host actually use the kick function so far. Most hosts are sticking around until after the result screen if they want to leave. Balance is stabilizing as people learn the game, D Walkers in comm are annoying but stuff like sleep nades helps a lot. TSNE is kinda messy thanks to infiltrators but it's overall a good time.

Frenden

Banned
QUESTION

I have been too wrapped up in Destiny to get started on MGO3...

If I LOVED MGO2 what are the odds of enjoying MGO3 the same way? Those who played MGO2 a lot what are your impressions? Just as fun?

Destiny has held me tight for a solid 1200 hours-ish. Probably more, ugh. MGO is the first game to really break that hold. I didn't play MGO2, so my opinion is more of a generalists view, but I'm having a lot of fun.

Demoskinos

QUESTION

If I LOVED MGO2 what are the odds of enjoying MGO3 the same way? Those who played MGO2 a lot what are your impressions? Just as fun?

Its still got enough of the quirk and charm that made MGO special. It lost a little bit in some areas but it plays much more solidly thanks to the controls being taken straight from TPP. It seems solid for right now but I do hope they continue to support it and add new modes/Hero characters and gear.

QUESTION

its casual, much more casual than mgo2, it's kids playing with...toy soldiers...

no but really it is very easy and accessible

there's no skills like runner 2, or ar2

i think its fun, but its mindlessly easy and gets boring pretty fast

Alienous

Day 3 and I'm thinking about DLC.

Without it I don't think my interest will be maintained past a week of playing. Maybe the Rush map variants will show their worth; they seem pretty good from 12 player Bounty Hunter. They'd probably be better in 4 v 4.

Frenden

Banned
Had a great few hours with some GAFfers.

The game really seems to be catching on now. People are no longer just charging headlong into a firefight in Bounty Hunter. There are scouts sitting back sniping, infiltrators actually infiltrating and not being annoying pricks, and sometimes there are two clearly defined sides of the battlefield with no man's land in between.

Yeah. I'm seeing more people with higher level items and the accompanying strategies. It's not just Infiltrators speed skating around. Full disclosure, I have been that Infiltrator.

Rank 3 of the Shield Skill will allow you to do it

Rad. I just started playing with the shield. The secondary revolver hits pretty hard up close. I've cleared out multiple dudes at a COMM station with one six-round flurry. Headshots take people down quick. I'm liking the turtle setup more than I thought I would.

Day 3 and I'm thinking about DLC.

Without it I don't think my interest will be maintained past a week of playing. Maybe the Rush map variants will show their worth; they seem pretty good from 12 player Bounty Hunter. They'd probably be better in 4 v 4.
Rush/time of day variance will help but yeah this needs more content badly

Alienous

You might as well be throwing cupcakes at your enemies, Shouta. One or two grenade launcher kills isn't worth your avatar having the gun accuracy of someone without thumbs.

Dragnet

Just got C4, people are about to go sleepybang!

Agree with the above, game needs more content asap. I'd love some retro maps, more unique characters and more stealth-focused game modes. Also, the ability to customise what weapons are allowed when creating a server. Used to love Knife-only fights on MGO1!

Hm, so is Cloaked not liked because the other team can still go invisible?

It does sound like a weird feature to me.

How is gun/perk balance and all that? Keep in mind I exclusively care about the elimination mode, but am worried about the content not being worth the purchase...unless the game mode is that good

MAX PAYMENT

Sort of, but GAF does praise praiseworthy games. The Last of Us is a good example of that.

Have fun with the weapon sway on your heavy ass gun.

A foregrip is the way to go. Headshots for days.

Ehh.. I think as a whole GAF is jaded. I also generally have a differing opinion from the whole.

Shouta

You might as well be throwing cupcakes at your enemies, Shouta. One or two grenade launcher kills isn't worth your avatar having the gun accuracy of someone without thumbs.

I killed 5 guys with one grenade, I'm pretty happy with it so far, lol. I've got other sets if I need other guns anyway.

Alienous

Hm, so is Cloaked not liked because the other team can still go invisible?

It does sound like a weird feature to me.

How is gun/perk balance and all that? Keep in mind I exclusively care about the elimination mode, but am worried about the content not being worth the purchase...unless the game mode is that good

Cloak and Dagger, the mode, is great. The maps feel made for it.

Stealth Camo outside of that mode doesn't feel well balanced. It's this thing people have to actively counter, rather than feeling like just another game mechanic.

Leunam

Swung the lead in our favor with some timely Fulton extractions near the end of a game. That's a multi-player moment that will never get old.

Demoskinos

Stealth Camo outside of that mode doesn't feel well balanced. It's this thing people have to actively counter, rather than feeling like just another game mechanic.

I'm usually fine with it because either people are really bad at stealth and you get a free kill or they are really good at using it and I'm just usually impressed at that point that they hoodwinked me so well.

Xiraiya

I can understand the want for more stealth based modes, but MGSV does lend it's self more to action so it shouldn't be that surprising that MGO is more action than stealth right now, both seem to look perfectly viable though.
Personally it really bums me out PC players have to wait so long as it looks so much better than MGS4's MGO.

MGS3's looked fun, but I completely missed out on that era, 4's was a nightmare, this actually already looks infinitely more practical in nearly every capacity. I'd like to hope we'll be getting updates and changes for a good few months to a year, which by then it'll probably be pretty damn incredible to play.

Though really, they should just treat this as a "platform" and expand on it endlessly, the MGSV gameplay is so rock solid that you could keep people invested in MGO for years and years as long as you keep building it up and adding to it, tweaking it here and there and so on. I think my biggest gripe with the game with everything I've seen is the Walkers really stand out as being kind "flow" ruining.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

Yeah, but that's the action deterrent .

As an enforcer I'm forced to sprint less and watch corners and move slowly, waiting to CQC a sprinting Infiltrator .

That said though, all maps look like rave parties with all the E.Locators flying at the start.

Saturday

I've *only* been playing cloak and dagger, and it's been a fantastic ride. It actually feels.. somewhat balanced? Still at low-level play tho so.. also, why is there no "Stick together" or "Spread out" command. Nothing like seeing my entire team scattered on a map being picked off one-by-one by better players.

Frenden

Banned
That looks cool. Need to get ascension with my enforcer. But I'm at level 13 yet, so that will take me some time.

I'm level 10 Infiltrator and level, uh 5, I think, Enforcer. Scout is still a baby level 1.

Did you go for Metal Gear-ass Metal Gear names for your secondary characters? I named my Scout Furtive Anteater. Proud of that one.

Icefire1424

...how the crap are people ascending already? I'm only at level 2 with my first character!

Granted, I've also only played 2 matches, and have a wife and kid at home, plus a full time job meaning I haven't really been able to play at all. But still! That didn't take long for someone to max out.

AKyemeni

I'm level 10 Infiltrator and level, uh 5, I think, Enforcer. Scout is still a baby level 1.

Did you go for Metal Gear-ass Metal Gear names for your secondary characters? I named my Scout Furtive Anteater. Proud of that one.
I named my next infiltrator Joe Budden.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What's wrong with y'alls eyes? The only place where invisibility is helpful (from my eyes of seeing them) is when they're in cover or in shadow. If someone's shooting you with their Infiltrator pea shooter, dive to cover. If they're sprinting at you, shoot to stun lock them. Alternatively, develop an R2 reflex to just CQC them before they do you. Can't remember the last time I got fultoned or taken out by an Infiltrator when I was within 20 feet of my buddy. Don't think Enforcer needs a buff, I'm doing just fine. Laying down surprising director, taking out multiple people in a single clip, throwing grenades behind cover. They do their front line man job great. It's always hilarious to me when I see some Infiltrator roaming around like I can't see him.

"Hey buddy, infiltrator around the back side of this fence."
*Buddy tosses e-loc*
*Me tosses grenade to flush, uses gun to kill*

Me and my main buddy roll Scout and Enforcer and he'll watch the outside of buildings while I infiltrate. Or I'll suppress someone with grenades and fire while he rushes them down or flanks.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
CQC is so fucking iffy sometimes when you go up against someone else.

So many times I've had them take priority. Coupled with a ton of people who don't know to fuckin' fulton people, shit's infuriating.

Spinluck

Yes they can, but then again why mark when you can snipe them.

Because sniping isn't always the optimal choice.

If I'm not in a good position to get a shot off, marking for my team is the next best option. I can't stand scouts who make zero effort to mark.

Alienous

Why? Identifying enemies is the scout's purpose.

And as an Enforcer what do I do? Give up my options for killing players just to counter invisible annoyances? Having to be at the top of my game to counter a player invisibly sprinting at me with no use of skill whatsoever isn't great.

I do fine, but I really have to focus, and that's just to even the balance. It sucks to be taken down and think "That was cheap" rather than "Damn, I got outplayed". Stealth Camo should be rebalanced to require skill to use effectively. Right now it encourages sprinting around; it doesn't seem to drain your battery any faster, and your battery draining at a steady rate means that moving as quickly as you can with strategy or direction is the most productive use of your camo.

TS-08

And as an Enforcer what do I do? Give up my options for killing players just to counter invisible annoyances? Having to be at the top of my game to counter a player invisibly sprinting at me with no use of skill whatsoever.

I do fine, but I really have to focus, and that's just to even the balance. It sucks to be taken down and think "That was cheap" rather than "Damn, I got outplayed". Stealth Camo should be rebalanced to require skill to use effectively.

You rely on your scout(s), on sticking close to another player for support, and on your eyes' ability to see.

You are completely exaggerating the effect of the stealth camo.

It doesn't encourage sprinting at all. If anything I'm far happier when an infiltrator is sprinting than actually trying to sneak up on me, as I am far more likely to spot and mow them down when they run.

Top Bottom