• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Hatchtag

Banned
XBO must not have the highest player count. Somehow within the top 800 C&D players, and I've only played about 3 or 4 hours a day since launch.

Game's a blast but I'd love for there to be more added. Is there a possibility of more maps being added to the game later? I could see a fairly big update coming with the PC release. With how big the single player is, they could just remix some assets from that. Hell, a hospital map would be pretty cool.

I hope they patch the infiltrator's stealth camo. There needs to be a battery linked to it because It's stupid over powered as it is now. Or hell, just make it where they can't sprint and fire while being invisible for fuck sake. How did that even pass the alpha phase. Stupid gameplay design choice.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I hope they patch the infiltrator's stealth camo. There needs to be a battery linked to it because It's stupid over powered as it is now. Or hell, just make it where they can't sprint and fire while being invisible for fuck sake. How did that even pass the alpha phase. Stupid gameplay design choise.

It does have a battery.

It does have a battery.

Then they better make it last a hell of a lot shorter than it is right now so that it has any actual gameplay consequences.

Camo is all about gain without pain right now. It should be a double edged sword, not a advantage over everyone in the damn game without any actual downfall.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Then they better make it last a hell of a lot shorter than it is right now so that it has any actual gameplay consequences.

Camo is all about gain without pain right now. It should be a double edged sword, not a advatange over everyone in the damn game without any actual downfall.

It's less powerful than I thought initially, especially when you have Night Vision equipped (and then, even more especially during night time maps), but is an annoyance still I guess.

I wouldn't mind so much if the infiltrators were actually sneaking around and, for example, going around the map to fulton some high bounty member on the other time who is alone. Now though, at least half of every team is just running around cloaked doing whatever. Maybe if they shut the camo off when they were getting shot, at least. Limiting the weapons Infiltrator can use is probably another thing but I don't know if that would be popular.

It's less powerful than I thought initially, especially when you have Night Vision equipped (and then, even more especially during night time maps), but is an annoyance still I guess.

I wouldn't mind so much if the infiltrators were actually sneaking around and, for example, going around the map to fulton some high bounty member on the other time who is alone. Now though, at least half of every team is just running around cloaked doing whatever. Maybe if they shut the camo off when they were getting shot, at least. Limiting the weapons Infiltrator can use is probably another thing but I don't know if that would be popular.

You guess? Let's make it clear then, if optics at night are the one thing that can actually give you a heads up on infiltrators wearing camo, then Enforcers are shit out of luck due to them not having optics.(for the first 21 levels at least, that is) It's stupidely unbalanced, let's not make excuses where it isn't required.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You guess? Let's make it clear then, if optics at night are the one thing that can actually give you a heads up on infiltrators wearing camo, then Enforcers are shit out of luck due to them not having optics.(for the first 21 levels at least, that is) It's stupidely unbalanced, let's not make excuses where it isn't required.

I'm just stating my thoughts based on my experiences playing, not trying to justify anything. I dislike the overuse of the cloak as well but calling it an annoyance for me rather than overpowered is accurate.

They press left and cloak, I press left and can see them. Sometimes it's too bright (that large dam level specifically) but other than that it's whatever.

There are multiple remedies that can be thought of but I don't know what's a good balance. Really short battery unless you're prone? Turn it off for x amount of seconds after getting hit or firing a lethal weapon? Cause the "blur" they give off to be considerably more noticeable while moving?

Stealth camo is fine imo. Haven't had any issues with it or felt that it's OP. The other difficulty is keeping your sights on them when they try to avoid your fire.

Depth of field in the game is annoying though. Really fucks with your shot sometimes in first person. They should just get rid of it.

I'm just stating my thoughts based on my experiences playing, not trying to justify anything. I dislike the overuse of the cloak as well but calling it an annoyance for me rather than overpowered is accurate.

They press left and cloak, I press left and can see them. Sometimes it's too bright (that large dam level specifically) but other than that it's whatever.
You need to see the bigger picture other than just seeing from your own personal point of view then.
If Camo's last almost indefinitely and you can run and shoot with it, what are the downfalls of using them? You say you're not justifying it, yet doing the opposite when stating that it isn't overpowerered simply because with your class, you can see them in maps at night with your optics. There's a 3rd class too, and the fact that there are maps that happens in the day time. It's clear as day there is a better class than the others as it is right now.

There are multiple remedies that can be thought of but I don't know what's a good balance. Really short battery unless you're prone? Turn it off for x amount of seconds after getting hit or firing a lethal weapon? Cause the "blur" they give off to be considerably more noticeable while moving?
Battery lasting shorter is a given I think, so is breaking off the camo when getting shot at. Making the camo much blurier when sprinting is a great idea too. Let's say the Infiltrator can sprint during 10 seconds, then it could possibly get blurier as he goes farther while sprinting to a point where it just breaks off, let's say at about 7-8 seconds.

I sort of agree with him now that I've seen the NV upgrades in action more... if you got a good Scout that hangs back with the upgraded NV (day or night) they can spot camo Infs super easy, and mark 'em like crazy. So you're just left with very short range squishes that Enforcers can tear up fast.

my impression is that Infs are sort of front-loaded in utility.. I mean, camo is camo regardless of Lv5 or L30 I guess, and shotguns are probably pretty front loaded to being some of the best Lv5-10 weapons but maybe once people are 30+... explosives, top rifles will begin to dominate. also, shotguns are easy to aim at lv5... sniper rifles start with a tonne of shake so that'll probably be back-loaded power on the curve, too.

sort of felt like the class descriptions were reversed, where as Infs with camo+shotgun are great entry level run and gunners where as a good Scout (especially the the high aiming shake) is harder to come by

...that said, i'm not saying whether or not they are imba OP :D really, i don't know yet. just saying that the first 2 days, i was like, 'fuck infs' but now that i've seen more +lv10 gameplay with scouts and the NV upgrades, starting to feel like it maaaay balance out more.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
You need to see the bigger picture other than just seeing from your own personal point of view then.
If Camo's last almost indefinitely and you can run and shoot with it, what are the downfalls of using them? You say you're not justifying it, yet doing the opposite when stating that it isn't overpowerered simply because with your class, you can see them in maps at night with your optics. There's a 3rd class too, and the fact that there are maps that happens in the day time. It's clear as day there is a better class than the others as it is right now.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, just stating my (Scout-centered opinion) along with some possible solutions in case the majority of people do feel they are overpowered.

I don't know what to do as Enforcers though. They have some sort of proximity alert, don't they? I don't know how that works, though.

A slight reduction in the amount of time it takes to mark cloaked people would help for everyone, though. It's insanely how long you have to track a cloaked moving target, even with Night Vision.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, just stating my (Scout-centered opinion) along with some possibly solutions in case the majority of people do feel they are overpowered.

I don't know what to do as Enforcers though. They have some sort of proximity alert, don't they? I don't know how that works, though.

A slight reduction in the amount of time it takes to mark cloaked people would help for everyone, though. It's insanely how long you have to track a moving target, even with Night Vision, to mark them while cloaked.

But they are overpowered.xD It's not just a feeling, it's a fact. The camo is definitely better than it should be by a wide margin. I mean, if anyone cares about balanced issues, then yeah, the camo indeed needs to be nerfed. I mean, they'll still be able to get invisible, just not running around like chickens without heads while being invisible during the entire freaking round.

Ardenyal

Camo is all about gain without pain right now. It should be a double edged sword, not a advantage over everyone in the damn game without any actual downfall.

I really can't think of a single downside to infiltrator as it is right now.

They're supposed to have lower hp to balance the supersonic run speed, infinitely recharging invisibility and CQC advantage. Enforcers unlock tank 3 at level 30... the core advantage that enforcer is supposed to have takes 3 slots and is unlocked after dozens of hours of gameplay. If you strip the enforcer to no equip at all the max speed rank is a B. You have all the downsides of the class but very little of the advantages throughout the unlocks. MG can only outdamage assault rifles if the RNGesus is merciful and you will be able to land all hits (this is with foregrip and muzzle break, they make ARs laser pointers but MGs cant be saved even with them equipped). Incredibly stupid design.

Camo shouldn't recharge at all or recharge veeery slowly. Activating it should deplete the charge fully and no activation during recharge. Also shooting & being shot should disable camo.

Alienous

I have an issue with the implementation of Stealth Camo.

Yes, there are workarounds.

Yes, skilled play can nullify it.

But it doesn't do what it should: encourage stealth.

It has a battery that, as far as I can tell, drains at a uniform rate regardless of what the player does. What this says, tacitly, is move. Run. Sprint. Make the most of your time while 90% invisible.

Instead of encouraging patience, wit, and tactical movement it encourages super-aggressive play as the best way to make use if it.

This is a game mechanic that has been implemented by many developers. There's an unspoken consensus on how to do it. Invisibility should become less viable the faster your move and the harder you shoot. MGO's mechanics should reflect that, and we'd have Stealth Camo used for stealth, not just being used to be hard to see.

Menthuss

So I'm looking at buying the hardened battle gear and it says it provides additional protection in exchange for making more noise. Is this actually reflected in the gameplay or is it just fluff text like with the chest gear?

Doesn't the stealth camp only stay active for like 10 seconds before it runs out? I've never had any problems playing against people using it.

Ardenyal

So I'm looking at buying the hardened battle gear and it says it provides additional protection in exchange for making more noise. Is this actually reflected in the gameplay or is it just fluff text like with the chest gear?

Its purely cosmetic.

Maddocks

This game has battlefield 4 syndrome. Keeps placing me in Japanese hosted servers. only American around getting tossed around because of lag.

Ducktail

Funny you say this, because I've noticed a lot of TLoU design ethos in MGO3. Which is fucking great. It clearly inspired them.

Also agreed on the rest of your post.

I don't think I expressed myself correctly. When I meant it put TLoU to shame I was strictly speaking from a control responsiveness and gameplay perspective. In terms of design, I actually prefer TLoU in some regards. For starters, it's a more tactical game. I feel this MGO3 is too arcadey.

Ducktail

The camo lasts 15 seconds tops, and that's using the level 2 skill.

There are grenades you can use to spot people, night vision googles, etc.

It's fine.

So sorry, double post! ):

NeoGiff

Can I get an invite to the MGO community please?
PSN: coolasj19

Could I get an invite too? I dropped you a PM. Thanks for doing this!

Me, please, if you're still doing it!

Skel1ingt0n

Could I get an invite too? My PSN is Pak38, thank you!

Trying to unlock more things for my Infiltrator. Just wish the lag didn't fuck up CQC so much...

Bromic_LaMonte on PS4 if you want to add me for MGO!

You're all in.

Demoskinos

Whoa never had this happen before. All the Defenders dead in a Cloak and Dagger match. My team was a bunch of randoms and we were just all fucking in sync with each other somehow. Shit was fantastic. And of course the host bails after we destroyed them.

CQ4K8Z7WwAA5eZc.png

NeoGiff

Holy shit!

One of my main complaints was that you have hardly any time to pick your loadout before a round. This is especially problematic in C&D, when you only have one life. I've just realised that in the customize screen, you can name each of your loadouts.

This is a game changer for me, and it was probably obvious to everyone else.

Icefire1424

I. Love. This. Game.

Couple more rounds last night, just enough to get my Scout up to Level 4 (I know, but I have a young kid and don't get that much game time in during the week). When playing with a competent team, everything in this game just seems to come together. Had a game where me and a buddy stuck together around the map, covering each other and taking out anything that got in our way. As the Scout I marked Infiltrators, and as the Enforcer he would take them out. Simple.

Second match I had to try out my shiny new sniper rifle, so held back a bit marking enemies and taking the occasional potshot, when a baddie decided to be clever and tried flanking the main force of my team. He never saw me hiding in cover, so I was able to walk right up to him for the interrogation, revealing the other enemies on the map right before he was fultoned. Perfection.

Ardenyal

The scoring system in C&B is dumb as shit. Simply picking up the targets should not boost your score so much.

I chuck enemy locators at the start of the round just to boost my score. Pretty easy to get 500 or more points just off that when everyone moves so predictably at the start of rounds.

Demoskinos

My main complaint so far is I was a dummy and made my first class an Infiltrator when i wanted a lady infiltrator and now I can't have one of each class. They really let you need to reset and change your default class. :(

So should I pick Scout or Enforcer for my 2nd character? What has the cooler stuff? I'm leaning Scout.

konjak

Is this something that's flawless in other games? It's a melée move and the dive didn't last even a second. Melée is hard to do in complex online games. For online gaming, lag is always gonna be a factor, and this isn't close to the worst I've gotten in some games.

This thread in general seems to complain way more than the experience I'm having. I mostly blame myself when shit goes wrong. I can see people with stealth camo just fine, and I don't think throws are OP, etc.

EDIT: If you worry about camo people around corners, start using other loadouts. Stun grenades are great, for example, for flushing people out. And don't hug corners unless you're the one with camo.

But they are overpowered.xD It's not just a feeling, it's a fact. The camo is definitely better than it should be by a wide margin. I mean, if anyone cares about balanced issues, then yeah, the camo indeed needs to be nerfed. I mean, they'll still be able to get invisible, just not running around like chickens without heads while being invisible during the entire freaking round.
You could just use your eyes since camo is incredibly easy to see. It shouldn't last as long as it does, or at least not recharge as fast, but it isn't overpowered. If you're having that much of an issue with it then pick scout or get a friend who plays scout because they're basically designed to make the infiltrator useless.

This game has battlefield 4 syndrome. Keeps placing me in Japanese hosted servers. only American around getting tossed around because of lag.
It's p2p

The problem with the class system is that it's very clearly balanced around classes being at max level with all their shit unlocked. Takes several levels and someone actually wanting to play Scout to deal with Infiltrators hurrdurring around. It stops being a problem once you have NVG and the like but that's a couple hours of play away from a new player and only for the least popular class at first.

konjak

The problem with the class system is that it's very clearly balanced around classes being at max level with all their shit unlocked. Takes several levels and someone actually wanting to play Scout to deal with Infiltrators hurrdurring around. It stops being a problem once you have NVG and the like but that's a couple hours of play away from a new player and only for the least popular class at first.

When I hear about complaints where infiltrators running around blowing up the place is a recurring problem, I just think it should be easy to adapt to if the situation is so common?

Ardenyal

Okay, that video was pretty hilarious. Looks like you were hitting the target, but I've noticed it sometimes takes several shots in quick succession to actually knock one over. Was messing around with a sniper rifle in free roam for awhile last night and the same thing was happening.

Same thing if you don't hit it straight on.

Yeah you can see gray puffs of smoke every now and then but it has to be consecutive shots so the target stayed up.

When I hear about complaints where infiltrators running around blowing up the place is a recurring problem, I just think it should be easy to adapt to if the situation is so common?
It would be if 80% of teams weren't doing the same thing. As a scout I can snipe off one or two infiltrators but when a group of 4 with S sprint speed shows up there's little I can do in time.

You could just use your eyes since camo is incredibly easy to see. It shouldn't last as long as it does, or at least not recharge as fast, but it isn't overpowered. If you're having that much of an issue with it then pick scout or get a friend who plays scout because they're basically designed to make the infiltrator useless.
"incredibly easy to see" Yep, there's nothing else worth reading past this, this takes the cake right here, thanks man! I'm calling my optometrist right now telling her she's been all wrong, my eyes ain't worth shit. Or maybe I'm just watching with my butt, yeah that's probably it!

konjak

It would be if 80% of teams weren't doing the same thing. As a scout I can snipe off one or two infiltrators but when a group of 4 with S sprint speed shows up there's little I can do in time.

No sidearms or items then? Scouts don't have to snipe.

But anyway, not trying to argue. I just have found the game really fun and I feel it's not been unfair in its setup. Lag has annoyed me, but I expect it.

konjak

"incredibly easy to see" Yep, there's nothing else worth reading past this, this takes the cake right here, thanks man! I'm calling my optometrist right now telling her she's been all wrong, my eyes ain't worth shit. Or maybe I'm just watching with my butt, yeah that's probably it!

Well... my impression of the camo is it's only really most useful if opponents aren't leaving their camera still. If you look for camo'ed people keeping yourself and your view still, they are far from invisible.

Top Bottom