• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Is there a faster way to get gear points?
Automatch
Win: 100
Lose: 50

Search for a match
Win: 20
Lose: 10

GP should be much more generous and not gimped in Search, which makes no sense -- they don't want you farming to change the color of your clothes, but they're perfectly fine with people farming for XP to unlock actual game-altering weapons/skills?

GP should be at least 200/W, 100/L no matter what. They won't do that though, they'll just sell GP packs for $60.

Frenden

Banned
I wasn't feeling Enforcers until I got the perk that drops a grenade on death and started using sleep grenades. So good.

It's weird, the foregrip, sleep grenades, and the perk that drops a nade on death all unlock at the same time. The game should drip feed that shit quicker instead of giving it all in one late chunk. It totally changes how the character plays and the first few levels without them are rough.

11 kills and several objectives my first match with that setup.

13randO

Automatch

Search for a match

GP should be much more generous and not gimped in Search, which makes no sense -- they don't want you farming to change the color of your clothes, but they're perfectly fine with people farming for XP to unlock actual game-altering weapons/skills?

GP should be at least 200/W, 100/L no matter what. They won't do that though, they'll just sell GP packs for $60.

What?! I've been searching for matches this whole time!

Automatch

Search for a match

Should I really expect GP packs to be sold and that why it is so low to get some. .

Also are there more gear than what I can currently view?

Should I really expect GP packs to be sold and that why it is so low to get some. .

Also are there more gear than what I can currently view?
I'm definitely expecting paid GP packs or MB-Coins-to-GP conversion somehow.

There's too much expensive stuff and you earn too little. I read that Ascension gives you 10k GP each time, but 99% of the playerbase won't even get to the option.

TS-08

I wasn't feeling Enforcers until I got the perk that drops a grenade on death and started using sleep grenades. So good.

It's weird, the foregrip, sleep grenades, and the perk that drops a nade on death all unlock at the same time. The game should drip feed that shit quicker instead of giving it all in one late chunk. It totally changes how the character plays and the first few levels without them are rough.

Yeah I just unlocked all that stuff and it's a game changer. Love that sleep grenade.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
If you aren't screaming 'such lust for revenge. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?!' from the top of your lungs into the mic upon each and every death and getting kicked from rooms you aren't playing right.

Vol5

I think this game would be good with a one shot kill mode in a retrieval type game. Would be stealthy as fuck. Everyone gets a pistol and nothing else. Same load out and same class.

Grisby

I get a decent amount of points each match, but the grind is slow. Do you only unlock one new outfit when you ascend for the first time?

Saturday

Hmm, completely forgot GAF had it's own group. Would like to be added, Saturday_plus is my handle on PSN.

It occurs to me that I've never actually encountered anybody using a mic, even on C&D mode where you think communication would be key. Well, except that one guy randomly singing Snake Eater. He was a legend.

RK9039

Hmm, completely forgot GAF had it's own group. Would like to be added, Saturday_plus is my handle on PSN.

It occurs to me that I've never actually encountered anybody using a mic, even on C&D mode where you think communication would be key. Well, except that one guy randomly singing Snake Eater. He was a legend.

Yeah you're going to need to be in party for that unfortunately. Party chat is so useful in TSNE, your dead team mates can give you instructions on where to go like Morpheus.

Icefire1424

Speaking as a Scout, I can comment on some observations made regarding playing against Infiltrators.

Through the scope, it's fairly obvious to spot a moving Infiltrator, even when cloaked. It might be difficult to track you for an immediate headshot, but we can see you, and we will mark you. You're not as stealthy as you think you are in this situation.

However.

If you are cloaked and aren't moving, or are cloaked and in cover (such as hiding in the grass or bushes), it it almost impossible to spot you without aids. Playing stealthy is certainly possible, and at times very, very effective. I did see one perfect example where a cloaked Infiltrator was hiding in the bushes and ambushed an ally as he ran past. Happened to be covering my ally at the time, and I never saw the Infiltrator until he pounced. Furthermore, he likely decloaked in cover for a moment, as I never saw him enter, and he had to have been there for at least a little while. I still never saw him. Point is, use the cover you have, be smart about how you move when cloaked, and it can be a devastating strategy.

So, I put in hundreds of hours in MGO2 over 4 characters, using different playstyles for each for the most part, but I've not played either of the MGSV games yet/seen much of this MGO outside of this games TSNE variation match that they showed a week or so ago. How different is this gameplay wise/system mechanics wise, going off this list?:

• Drebin Points to unlock better weapons in matches
  • Levelling Down
  • Practically a headshot only game if you're using guns aside from a select few like the DSR that could kill in one hit with a body shot
  • Reward Points to unlock customization items
  • No scope wobble for snipers unlike MGS4 itself
  • Stealth Camo players have their weapons visible
  • Is the pace of the game still fairly slow, or at least not CoD/Battlefield levels of sprinting round the map constantly?

I'm cautiously looking forward to getting round to playing it, because MGO2 was one of my favourite PS3 games, so I'm just curious whether this is more of the same but with a different feel, i.e. does it still feel like MGO but with MGSV's gameplay, or does it feel like an entirely different game altogether?

So, I put in hundreds of hours in MGO2 over 4 characters, using different playstyles for each for the most part, but I've not played either of the MGSV games yet/seen much of this MGO outside of this games TSNE variation match that they showed a week or so ago. How different is this gameplay wise/system mechanics wise, going off this list?:

• Levelling Down
  • Practically a headshot only game if you're using guns aside from a select few like the DSR that could kill in one hit with a body shot
  • Is the pace of the game still fairly slow, or at least not CoD/Battlefield levels of sprinting round the map constantly?

I'm cautiously looking forward to getting round to playing it, because MGO2 was one of my favourite PS3 games, so I'm just curious whether this is more of the same but with a different feel, i.e. does it still feel like MGO but with MGSV's gameplay, or does it feel like an entirely different game altogether?

Level progression unlocks weapons
Level progress ups your rank, never goes down. Unless you prestige, lol.
Reward points are there to unlock very limited gear compared to MGO2
Heavy scope wobble on snipers
Weapons aren't visible in stealth
Pace is faster

It's been heavily westernized, it's fun, but it's not MGO, sadly.

Does anyone know how the gear works? I feel like the options are way too limited. Does more unlock as you level? Or is that it? I know that reaching acension unlocks at least one more option (Gillie Suit for scout).

Edit: LOL Just before I post the question someone answers.

Still, the gear seems way too limited. That's what keeps me playing. The grind toward that next piece of awesome gear

:/

Does anyone know how the gear works? I feel like the options are way too limited. Does more unlock as you level? Or is that it? I know that reaching acension unlocks at least one more option (Gillie Suit for scout).

Edit: LOL Just before I post the question someone answers.

Still, the gear seems way too limited. That's what keeps me playing. The grind toward that next piece of awesome gear

:/
Don't worry you'll have more gear... for only $4.99!

LeonSPBR

• Levelling Down

Level never goes down and only leveling you will unlock weapon.
You unlock Gear Points for customization, but some itens and clothes are behind Ascension (prestiege)
You wobble for every weapon and STealth camo make everything "invisible".
Game is faster compared to MGO, but it's not even close to COD/battlefield. Playing smart alongside your teammates is the best way to win matches.

Wait what! I gotta unlock this.lol

Level progression unlocks weapons
Level progress ups your rank, never goes down. Unless you prestige, lol.
Reward points are there to unlock very limited gear compared to MGO2
Heavy scope wobble on snipers
Weapons aren't visible in stealth
Pace is faster

It's been heavily westernized, it's fun, but it's not MGO, sadly.

Level never goes down and only leveling you will unlock weapon.
You unlock Gear Points for customization, but some itens and clothes are behind Ascension (prestiege)
You wobble for every weapon and STealth camo make everything "invisible".
Game is faster compared to MGO, but it's not even close to COD/battlefield. Playing smart alongside your teammates is the best way to win matches.

Thanks. I've never enjoyed scope wobble, but love playing as snipers on games without it, so that sucks. I'll have to give it a shot when I get MGSV and hope it clicks.
Full invisibility sounds a bit crazy for stealth camo though, is it just their shadow that you can see, or are you visible to the enemy the same way as you see yourself when using stealth camo (so the traditional see through but can make out the body shape invisibility effect that games and films use), rather than being completely invisible like on MGO2?

TS-08

Thanks. I've never enjoyed scope wobble, but love playing as snipers on games without it, so that sucks. I'll have to give it a shot when I get MGSV and hope it clicks.
Full invisibility sounds a bit crazy for stealth camo though, is it just their shadow that you can see, or are you visible to the enemy the same way as you see yourself when using stealth camo (so the traditional see through but can make out the body shape invisibility effect that games and films use), rather than being completely invisible like on MGO2?

There's an ability to reduce wobble and you can reduce it by going prone. The stealth is how you describe it basically, where you can see the outlines of the body and distortions when they move. And obviously you can also see their shadow.

Palpable

Is this something that's flawless in other games? It's a melée move and the dive didn't last even a second. Melée is hard to do in complex online games. For online gaming, lag is always gonna be a factor, and this isn't close to the worst I've gotten in some games.

This thread in general seems to complain way more than the experience I'm having. I mostly blame myself when shit goes wrong. I can see people with stealth camo just fine, and I don't think throws are OP, etc.

EDIT: If you worry about camo people around corners, start using other loadouts. Stun grenades are great, for example, for flushing people out. And don't hug corners unless you're the one with camo.

The point I was making with that video is that there is absolutely no excuse as to me being CQC slammed while in mid dive from 15ft away from the enemy. I was already sprinting away prior to the dive, but was STILL grabbed.

LeonSPBR

You can see their body shape easily when they are moving/running, but when they are crawling or standing still, is kinda hard to see them. Stealth camo looks OP, but when you get used to them, they become pretty easy to spot, and easier to kill since most people hardly dodge when they are using camo.

Red Alchemist

Neo Member
Well I just had a game of cloak and dagger where the entire defending team had stealth camo, nah nothing wrong with that at all, perfectly balanced

Alienous

This game sucks.

It just gets more imbalanced the more people level up.

The map has to look like a fucking rave for the matches to resemble anything fair.

In the words of Raiden, "We're done here". I hope it improves when I wake up.

Edit:

This was harsh.

I'll go to sleep and hopefully play with a bunch of you guys tomorrow. I'm just tired, I guess.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm sorry about the Infiltrator thing guys. I just think they get completely neutralized by the buddy system. I run around a corner and get slammed, my buddy wakes me up and we kill him. If my buddy gets slammed after he wakes me up, I just throw a grenade. Maybe someone can hide really effectively, look at the radar, dive for cover.

Can someone send me a YouTube video of some Infiltrator domination? Either way, emergency fixes is one sure fire way to ruin the meta.

Top Bottom