• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

The fact that you can spawn in contested comm bases is mind fucking blowing to me. Did honestly no one in testing come out and say that this is fucking stupid?

Alienous

I can see Konami supporting this for a little while due to them trying to make money back and probably finally happy they have a horse in the race to micro transaction to hell in the future.

However if they plan on doing this then an entire uphauling of mechanics need to be done first. Which Im expecting they will since this MP looks like it was made in that one month they had from launch.

I think the big question is, will they do it fast enough before everyone leaves for the big games in a month? It's not 2008 anymore where the MP landscape was Halo and CoD4 was still on the rise. Alot of these MPs already have their footing and fanbase. They gonna have to get it together fast

MGO3 is too weak to survive the winter.

It was off to a bad start releasing a month after MGSV. Next month it will have to contend with heavy hitters.

Unlike The Last of Us, which carved out its niche, I don't think MGO3 has a strong enough personality to maintain a large community. Content, a thing the game needs, could end up killing it if it comes in the form of a paid DLC pack.

I hope Koji Pro LA have a plan of action to keep the game alive.

Online has changed since 2008. It's no longer about the novelty of playing with others. It has become a feature with expectations.

MGO3 is closer to the tacked on multiplayer you see with games like Spec Ops: The Line or Tomb Raider than it is to something that will last. It won't survive the winter. I doubt it'll make it two weeks before it's in worrying shape.

While not nearly as bad as the MP from those games, it's certainly bad by MGO standards.

I had very low expectations for this game once it was announced that it was being developed in the west and pretty much turned out just as I expected.

I played MGO2 for years until they shut down the servers, 800+ hours. I'll be surprised if I put in 50 hours into this one.

It can be fun, but it's just so average. Someone in this thread a few days ago said it best, TLoU is the true MGO successor.

Gorillaz

It was off to a bad start releasing a month after MGSV. Next month it will have to contend with heavy hitters.

Unlike The Last of Us, which carved out its niche, I don't think MGO3 has a strong enough personality to maintain a large community. Content, a thing the game needs, could end up killing it if it comes in the form of a paid DLC pack.

Nah I think it's "personality" along with the mechanics are actually strong enough for a niche community like TLOU to keep playing. It's a matter of balancing this in a big patch. I can see myself being in the mood to play something like this from time to time after it gets balanced.

Alienous

Nah I think it's "personality" along with the mechanics are actually strong enough for a niche community like TLOU to keep playing. It's a matter of balancing this in a big patch. I can see myself being in the mood to play something like this from time to time after it gets balanced.

Yeah, fair point.

I think you're right. If it's balanced I could see its personality emerging more clearly. Things like CQC and stealth being tactical rather than people just sprinting around.

After getting my bum handed to me repeatedly as infiltrator I tried the assault preset class. And wow the gun with the grip and muzzle makes all the difference.

Now I just need to unlock the grip and muzzle so I can put it on my stealth camo class and that way I won't be destroyed and outgunned when my stealth tactics fail!

Does anyone know how you unlock the grip etc? Is it just via level. Do I keep using the gun until I unlock the attachments?

aember

Non-Lethal Aim+2 sounds weird.

Increased accuracy with non-lethal primary and secondary weapons.
Faster non-lethal weapon raise speed and decreased lethal weapon weight to increase mobility.

Why did they make it affect lethal weapons?

Predwolf

Before I go spending all of my head-earned GP, is there any real difference between the vests you buy? Can some actually hold more gear or provide more defense?

Gorillaz

Yeah, fair point.

I think you're right. If it's balanced I could see its personality emerging more clearly. Things like CQC and stealth being tactical rather than people just sprinting around.

I have fun with it. Especially in groups/party. Even as a lone wolf some times. As time passes on, the meta will evolve and so will the way people play this. I mean people are spotting cloakers easily, and shooting fulton's easier as well. I need my host migration tho and some way to balance the cloaking.

I think a big thing alot of people miss with this game is the fact that the mechanics are the smoothest they have EVER been in a MG. Everything just flows in gameplay and Kojima Pro probably thought they could just uplift the gameplay from the SP and slap that 08 style of MP and be "done". This flows alot more fast paced and on the spot now compared to before and they need to just realize it.

This reminds me of versus ops more so than the last MGO. I hope it improves. I didn't get to play MGO2 until December '08, but I fell in love almost instantly. Maybe I'll like this more in a few months too.

Demoskinos

The drop off for most multi games after the first month is severe. Even with MGO 2 the drop off was insane. Most people outside of the hardcore regarded MGO 2 as a failed experiment with clunky controls and lack of modernized shooter design. What kept MGO 2 going were the hardcore crowd. Mind you with MGO 2 the game was split by region and still maintained a active hardcore crowd of a few thousand people.

MGO 3 has the advantage of not being split by region. A lot of the criticisms laid out so far have merit but I think before ultimately condemning it we should at least see how Konami handles support going forward the first few months. I think the content offering at launch here is a tad thin but if stuff is in the pipeline this thing might evolve into a worthy successor.

I think its a bit to early to say the buzzards are circling already. I expected this to be absolutely unplayable considering the absolute radio silence. I hope it does turn out to be a great long term game.

Every time I'm about the join a match I get booted the the xmb with a data corrupted message and forces me to eject my disk.

This happened the other day once and it's been fine since, but it just happened 4 times in a row.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Why don't Snake and Ocelot appear in automatching?

Also, which dumbass thought that Rush C&D is in anyway a good idea? Literally defeats the entire purpose of the mode, especially in Black Site and Red Fortress.

I feel like there's potential for absolute greatness here, but it's under piles and piles of shit. Some of the most baffling design choices I've ever seen.

Did they seriously open up an entirely new studio and have been working on this for almost 2 years? And this is the best they could come up with?

Ayyyy lmao

Kysen

So many people playing Bounty hunter like COD just running and gunning. Little do they know, they are losing loads of points by not fultoning. 150 per kill + no tickets vs stun grenade spam 100 per target and 250 per fulton. I've taken out 3 people with one stun grenade and fultoned them all. Its so effective that I don't even bother killing anyone unless they are indoors.

I wish I knew how to unlock more grenade slots. Tempted to run nothing but sleep/stun/smoke grenade loadout.

Alienous

MGO3 isn't terrible. It's actually pretty good.

The shitty stealth camo and the excessive E.Locator response to it make MGO3 a very different game.

The meta is cover as much of the map on E.Locators as you can and shoot the marked when they can be shot. It kills stealth and all other tactics.

I understand now why I enjoyed it much more early on.

So many people playing Bounty hunter like COD just running and gunning. Little do they know, they are losing loads of points by not fultoning. 150 per kill + no tickets vs stun grenade spam 100 per target and 250 per fulton. I've taken out 3 people with one stun grenade and fultoned them all. Its so effective that I don't even bother killing anyone unless they are indoors.

I wish I knew how to unlock more grenade slots. Tempted to run nothing but sleep/stun/smoke grenade loadout.

Can any class use sleep/stun/smoke grenade?

Scout NVG lvl 2 is op.

Infiltrator cloak means absolutely nothing now. And you can run around with it on and spot people lying prone on buildings and stuff. Basically it makes seeing targets really really easy.

Combine that with the marking and E.Locator usage. Got around 8K exp and I think that was mostly from all the marking I did.

Arklite

Online has really made me appreciate their map designs. There's no lack of alternate routes and hiding spots with the elevations changes adding a lot of room for sneaking and ambush. Even when two enemies clearly see you and try to flank you can manage to slither away behind a ridge or snake through some shacks, provided you're not marked anyway.

Also, I see a lot of people pass by the D-Walker. Then I have to reluctantly take it because of the risk of getting rolled early by another D-Walker in a command match. Or worse, have an enemy pass by and take a neglected walker.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Scout NVG lvl 2 is op.

Infiltrator cloak means absolutely nothing now. And you can run around with it on and spot people lying prone on buildings and stuff. Basically it makes seeing targets really really easy.

Combine that with the marking and E.Locator usage. Got around 8K exp and I think that was mostly from all the marking I did.

This is how I play scout, fuck sniping LOL :p

This is how I play scout, fuck sniping LOL :p

Yeah, it's immensely helpful to the team. I remember getting sniped by a guy in a tower on Black Site. So I respawned and just chucked a locator directly at the tower. Everyone nearby just peppered it until he died shortly later.

And marking with the binoculars is something I don't ignore either since it's silent and the enemy can't tell where you marked them from.

The "YOU HAVE BEEN MARKED" indicator is so small and disappears so quickly that I imagine many players don't even realize they've been marked when it happens.

I also don't use a sniper rifle. Maybe I'll play around with it later on but for now the Assault Rifle plus NVG+2 is ridiculously effective when it comes to actually killing people.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, fair point.

I recall gangs of people running around like nutters in MGO2 and spawn camping a lot.

I also don't use a sniper rifle. Maybe I'll play around with it later on but for now the Assault Rifle plus NVG+2 is ridiculously effective when it comes to actually killing people.
Don't bother, sniper rifles are really bad
How long to unlock nvg2? I made a scout as I wanted to play as a sniper and hang back and mark... But the gun you get is the exact same assault rifle as the other classes except it has a scope lol. Stupid. xD
NVG2 is like level 8 or so?

13randO

Why don't Snake and Ocelot appear in automatching?

Also, which dumbass thought that Rush C&D is in anyway a good idea? Literally defeats the entire purpose of the mode, especially in Black Site and Red Fortress.

I feel like there's potential for absolute greatness here, but it's under piles and piles of shit. Some of the most baffling design choices I've ever seen.

Did they seriously open up an entirely new studio and have been working on this for almost 2 years? And this is the best they could come up with?

Ayyyy lmao

I actually really like Rush C&D, especially on Jade Forest. I like the speed of the match; I feel like it promotes more impromptu thinking, which is one of the most fun parts of the mode for me.

LeonSPBR

E-Locators are the Enforcer's cheapness.

Going from not seeing certain players to seeing most everyone, even through walls.

Cry some more.

Besides E-Locators unlocks earlier for Infiltrators which makes really easy for them to get behind and fulton you.

Gorillaz

Honestly I like the first sniper rifle you get as a sniper. The Semi Auto one. Even if you don't get the job done in a shot, it's stopping power alone will allow you to finish the job. Like dudes will stop DEAD in their tracks after one shot leaving it open for your.

I started out as Infi but the sniper class has been calling me more lately

Top Bottom