• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Haha I actually keep changing away from scout to enforcer if the team has a couple of scouts already but the marking usually ends up lacking.

I think hiding out doing nothing besides marking most of a round is more useful than people might imagine.
That's me as a scout. Just hiding and marking. I've gotten most xp on my team several times without any kill the whole match.

Why does Kojima Productions have such trouble with camo patterns, it was the same way in MGSV and MGO2.
MG:
latest

MG:

Real Life:
1601-tru-spec-6-color-chocolate-chip-jacket.jpg

MG:

Real Life:
A-5947-2.jpg

MG:

Real Life:
propper_nylon_cotton_ripstop_acu_coats_multicam_jacket__45146.1379871888.1280.1280.jpg
MGO2 & 3 Desert Chocolate Chip might as well be snow camo
Woodland might as well be a night camo with how dark and jumbled the patern is.
Finally Multicam is so soft and missing shades that its basically a desert brown.

J4g3r

There really needs to be a limit on the amount of thrown objects you can use within a certain amount of time. The amount of Stun Grenade/Grenade/E-Locator spam in most games is ridiculous.

Something as simple as adding a 10 second cooldown per throw-able would make all the difference.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Didn't they release MGO2 as a standalone in Japan? How hard can it be.

Switching code-base from PPC to x86. Switching on the servers they turned off ages ago. Paying for said servers despite MGO2 not going to be pretty popular.

That level of hard.

TheSeks

Is this no good or something?

It's not bad. But it isn't great either.

CQC range and netcode is the truly awful things.
Along with Infiltrators, THOUSANDS OF THEM

aember

I'd love to see the metrics for the player population fall-off for the first week of MGO.
I'm inclined to say it's a decent drop, because 99% of the players I encounter now are Japanese. I get the occasional North/South American, but mostly glorious Nippon.

TheSeks

I'm inclined to say it's a decent drop, because 99% of the players I encounter now are Japanese. I get the occasional North/South American, but mostly glorious Nippon.

So... typical MGO then? The bigger question is: Will they fix the issues MGO has unlike the MGS4 version which was completely ignored.

RK9039

So... typical MGO then? The bigger question is: Will they fix the issues MGO has unlike the MGS4 version which was completely ignored.

It's not typical at all. MGO2 had regular weekly tournaments and survival modes, which were official modes hosted by Konami. Hell, they even hosted world championship tournaments in Japan. It had a proper clan system and ranking system. They didn't plan on having MGO2 last that long, so I'm guessing they did pretty well.

Red Alchemist

Neo Member
It's not typical at all. MGO2 had regular weekly tournaments and survival modes, which were official modes hosted by Konami. Hell, they even hosted world tournaments in Japan. It had a proper clan system and ranking system. They didn't plan on having MGO2 last that long, so I'm guessing they did pretty well.

Plus wasn't MGO2's servers region locked? I remember the EU server doing decently, the main server Otacon was always near full and completely full when survival was on.

Alienous

The game balance gets worse the more people level up.

This game would need a major 2.00 patch to rectify the issues, and more content. And it'll already be dead by then.

What a waste.

RK9039

Plus wasn't MGO2's servers region locked? I remember the EU server doing decently, the main server Otacon was always near full and completely full when survival was on.

Yes it was region locked, EU/NA/JP servers were separated and despite that the main servers would often be full. The game even had a proper lobby system.

It's a couple patches away from being something really cool but as it stands this is gonna die faster than you can say "Evolve"

Balance is whack. Scouts are trash, infiltrators are stupid early and when enforcers catch up with the broken shit the game turns into a fucking mess.

fritzo

It's not typical at all. MGO2 had regular weekly tournaments and survival modes, which were official modes hosted by Konami. Hell, they even hosted world championship tournaments in Japan. It had a proper clan system and ranking system. They didn't plan on having MGO2 last that long, so I'm guessing they did pretty well.

Yeah. But those did not come until later. MGO2 at launch is kinda similar to 3. A few maps and game modes, no tourneys or clans. But who knows what Konami has lined up for DLC or anything for this. I expect more maps maybe and that's probably it.

RK9039

Yeah. But those did not come until later. MGO2 at launch is kinda similar to 3. A few maps and game modes, no tourneys or clans. But who knows what Konami has lined up for DLC or anything for this. I expect more maps maybe and that's probably it.

You're right, but the base game this time is so limited that I don't think they really plan on anything other than more MB coin gear and new maps. It only has three modes... The previous one started with seven modes, nine if you count training and interval, and had four new ones patched into the game. And on top of that had Survival/Tournament modes via DLC.

Not releasing along with the games launch, and with such an unbalanced state, this is going to die off fairly quick. They already lost so many players by releasing almost a month after initial game release.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I don't recall tournaments and survival modes at launch. I could be wrong.

Alienous

Online has changed since 2008. It's no longer about the novelty of playing with others. It has become a feature with expectations.

MGO3 is closer to the tacked on multiplayer you see with games like Spec Ops: The Line or Tomb Raider than it is to something that will last. It won't survive the winter. I doubt it'll make it two weeks before it's in worrying shape.

RK9039

Online has changed since 2008. It's no longer about the novelty of playing with others. It has become a feature with expectations.

MGO3 is closer to the tacked on multiplayer you see with games like Spec Ops: The Line or Tomb Raider than it is to something that will last. It won't survive the winter. I doubt it'll make it two weeks before it's in worrying shape.

This is exactly how I feel about MGO3 is as well.

It is generic, and I think most people saw this coming as it wasn't made by the same devs that worked on the previous two.

This is exactly how I feel about MGO3 is as well.

It is generic, and I think most people saw this coming as it wasn't made by the same devs that worked on the previous two.

I dont really feel like it generic at all. I just think their have been some very poor decisions made about the design and its lacking content. This game could be good but i dont think it with survive the wait it will take to get it there. Still having more fun with it than the SW Beta, that feels generic as fuck

RK9039

I dont really feel like it generic at all. I just think their have been some very poor decisions made about the design and its lacking content. This game could be good but i dont think it with survive the wait it will take to get it there. Still having more fun with it than the SW Beta, that feels generic as fuck

I meant it's generic in relation to the other MGO games. But like I said everyone who has been following MGO3 knows this was going to happen. Kojima even said he wanted to make sure MGO3 was more popular for the western audience because the other two were more popular in Japan.

AKyemeni

I'm having a blast with this game. Seeing infiltrators thinking they're sneaky when I can see them plain as day is funny as hell.

RK9039

Opening up a new studio for the online mode sure was worth it.

Lmao.

Maybe it comes back to that phantom pain thing. Kojima is a genius.

Well then you can hardly use those two as examples of the game being barebones in comparison. It's pretty obvious to me that they have DLC plans, for good or ill.

3 modes vs 7/9, no clan system, no actual lobby systems. It's still pretty barebones to me.

Survival/Tournament weren't really "modes" actually, they were systems that allowed for competitive match making with pre-made parties/teams which would go on to face other teams in team related modes like Rescue/Race etc. Wining teams during survival would gain reward points to buy gear, and wining teams in tournament would get unique gear items like a pink beret.

Demoskinos

I'm having a blast with this game. Seeing infiltrators thinking they're sneaky when I can see them plain as day is funny as hell.

I've seen guys literally put stealth on after I saw them then just start casually walking like nothing happened. Funniest thing I've seen so far.

Finalow

can someone calmly tell me why the fuck I still can't play this game since yesterday and why are konami servers so FUCKING GARBAGE.

"failed to log in to server"

EU here. am I seriously the only one?

konjak

I have no idea what happened in here. Yes, the lag is bad at times, but it's rarely ruined things for me. Hosts may be jerks and quit mid-game, but I only see it in Bounty Hunter, really. I find this thread turned unfairly sour in an instant, but I guess that's just opinions.

EDIT: I've had no experience with MGOs in the past, but if this is what exists now, it's damn fun. People make it out to sound non-functional or broken when I don't see either of those things.

Top Bottom