• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

In C&D, snipers are ridiculous for both teams.
I haven't found any use for the non lethal sniper besides getting some extra points, stuns wear off so quickly that if you're close enough to actually do anything with the stun then you're better off using the MK22. Lethal rifles are ok in C&D but most of the time having your assault rifle is just as good if not better since you can actually move around and hunt down targets when the discs are taken.

Sniper rifles are just too heavy and their non headshot TTK is too high right now to be worth all the trouble. Having a C/D rating as a scout in a super mobile mode is pretty shitty too. Kill cams tattling your location aren't helping either.

Frenden

Banned
Eh, the E Locators leave an obvious area of effect that's easy to avoid and they give you a sense of where the enemy is who threw them.

If you have a whole team tossing them it's a pain, but I've not run across that in PUGs much. I've matchmade into one team where we all were tossing them like Oprah, which was amazing and broken and amazing, but only the one.

Like most things that are currently a bit too good, a small tweak to how they deploy, how many you get, or how long they last would do wonders. And most of those changes are probably values in a text file somewhere. I hope we get at least one quick balance pass, but it's not going to stop me playing in the meantime.

Alienous

It doesn't matter so much that E-Locators have a marked area of effect. It allows you to see if an area is safe, or what enemies are there and how they are standing.

It changes the core game quite significantly.

13randO

What's the wormhole prompt mean?

Worm holes warp you over to your buddy when you stand on them. This is crazy good in C&D.

I haven't found any use for the non lethal sniper besides getting some extra points, stuns wear off so quickly that if you're close enough to actually do anything with the stun then you're better off using the MK22. Lethal rifles are ok in C&D but most of the time having your assault rifle is just as good if not better since you can actually move around and hunt down targets when the discs are taken.

Sniper rifles are just too heavy and their non headshot TTK is too high right now to be worth all the trouble. Having a C/D rating as a scout in a super mobile mode is pretty shitty too. Kill cams tattling your location aren't helping either.

I've been in several games where the sniper doesn't move at all and picks people off as his/her team fultons them away or just walks right past them. It also panics the shit out of the other team.

Gorillaz

you have no idea how I felt when I had the warmhole option available during CnD and was the only one left alive. Pulled that shit out as soon as they saw me and straight up disappeared with like 3 guys just staring at me

Shit gave me such a high pulling off a wormhole in CnD like that lol

konjak

Is there a significant change in connecting time with Fulton Punch or something? I usually play C&D but playing some BH now and I never. ever. fucking. connect.

Even though I have my arm basically up their ass.

Is there a significant change in connecting time with Fulton Punch or something? I usually play C&D but playing some BH now and I never. ever. fucking. connect.

IIRC from SP I think you need to dash a certain distance before pressing R2 for the dash punch?

RK9039

But the issue is it does way more than that.

E.Locs in MGO2 were more balanced, it covered less area and only highlighted players who were in the radius, and wouldn't highlight them if they ran out of it. It was also a temporary thing. The only way to highlight players permanently was to scan players (CQC + Scanning Plug) who linked up with their team via SOP. Kojima Production/LA know how to balance all of this, they've done it before, that's what makes me so confused about this game.

Hatchtag

Banned
Good god Camp Omega is an awful TDM map. It's like one of those custom maps from Counter Strike where you shoot each other from spawn.

It's easily my favorite map for C&D, honestly. There's a lot of variety with it. Plus the short version of the map-where you spawn relatively close to the disc-is one of the only maps where I see the plushes and fulton canons work relatively often.

Edzi

Defenders being able to use Stealth Camo in Cloak and Dagger completely ruins it for me. I seriously can't understand most of the decisions they made with this game.

Actually the non lethal sniper is pretty effective at close range. If you don't use the scope, you can usually get a one shot stun on enemies up close as long as you aim at the upper torso. Really effective

Alienous

Ironically, thanks to E.Locators, MGO3 is probably the least stealthy shooter I've played.

Everyone knows where everyone else is 90% of the time.

E.Locators should have never been grenades. It doesn't work for MGO3's pace. They should be plantable devices, like the Fulton launcher.

Ironically, thanks to E.Locators, MGO3 is probably the least stealthy shooter I've played.

E.Locators should have never been grenades. It doesn't work for MGO3's pace. They should be plantable devices, like the Fulton launcher.

i was going to say something but i just found out that you stay marked if E.locators pulse touches you. LOL holy shit.

Frenden

Banned
They need a tweak for sure. I'd say shorter scan distance, shorter active time after deployment, and less time spent marked after passing through the radius is a good start.

Maybe less per loadout/deployment.

Alienous

They need a tweak for sure. I'd say shorter scan distance, shorter active time after deployment, and less time spent marked after passing through the radius is a good start.

Maybe less per loadout/deployment.

Yeah. For patchable fixes I'd go with those.

- Make the range a little smaller.
- Reduce its active time.
- Keep people who have left the area of the E-Locator marked for only 1 second.
- Reduce the loadout amounts. 1 as a default, and 2 for skills that give extra support ammunition.

Between that and making sprinting around and firing weapons disadvantageous when using Stealth Camo, I think the game could be made a lot more balanced. I haven't used the NVGs, and I'm not sure if I've been a victim of them, but they should also look closely at if that is balanced.

Above weapon balance those should be addressed.

13randO

Man, I feel that. I've had it where I wiffed 3 times before dying to the guy I was trying to punch. The distance is so strange...

Frenden

Banned
Stealth players that are marked are no longer invis. They should not nerf it. It will become useless.

E Locators are a definite check and balance for cloaking, sure. But if we get a balance patch that changes E Locators, the tradeoff should be that cloaking duration is lowered and recharge takes longer or something to that effect.

Essentially, two overpowered things does not a right make. But if you tweak one, please tweak the other.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
E Locators are a definite check and balance for cloaking, sure. But if we get a balance patch that changes E Locators, the tradeoff should be that cloaking duration is lowered and recharge takes longer or something to that effect.

Essentially, two overpowered things does not a right make. But if you tweak one, please tweak the other.

They are still rendered useless by scouts and NVG. If a scout is doing their job stealth isnt an issue. The stealth still has to have some positives to it. Or they would be no point to the class.

I mean they are not even that hard to spot to begin with

Realistically, how long do you think Konami will support this?

MGO2 had all its expansions up by March 2009 (around 9 months from release). I think they did a few balancing patches and added a couple of modes until the end of that year, but I don't think they did much else from 2010 onward. Even then, I bet most of the expansion content was already done by June 2008 anyways, just delayed to maximize revenue.

With Koji Pro folding, I really don't see much of a future for this. They'll probably release overpriced expansions of content they've been holding on to, and that's about it. I don't see the servers surviving past 2017. Konami LA will either get shuttered, or move to mobile game development.

Alienous

They are still rendered useless by scouts and NVG. If a scout is doing their job stealth isnt an issue. The stealth still has to have some positives to it. Or they would be no point to the class.

I mean they are not even that hard to spot to begin with

It would have its benefits still. It would just come at the cost of slowed play.

Just like E-Locator spam sucks, Stealth Camo that you can sprint and fire weapons from while cloaked, sucks. Particularly the sprinting.

The E-Locators as they are now are like burning down a house to get rid of a spider. "Certain players can't be seen easily, so these let you see players even through walls when thrown". It's a bigger issue than the Camo itself.

These items should have use, but not at the cost of invalidating other options. People will still use E-Locators and Stealth Camo if they are better balanced, they'll just have to be smarter about their use.

Cloaking + Speed is far more OP than e locators and NVG

they need to nerf the fuck out of camo: no weapons besides pistols should do the trick

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Why is cloaking and sprinting OP? You show up on the radar still.... Just look for glowing red sections on the map. Sprinting while you are cloaked is the dumbest thing you can do.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Had a few firefights last night with shades of the former greatness from MGO2 but gawt dayum .. those walker gears tho...

Really feels great to have 4 or 5 people from each side in an area having an all out fire fight though. went 5-5 then 8-4 then 11-5 my first three games. Still feels great getting the drop on like 3 people, wasting 2 instantly and then luring the 3rd guy around the corner for the hs.

Sooooo fast though omg.

E-locators could stay in the match, but instead of showing the enemy outright, it should just show a little blip in the radar.

Less than a week since the game came out, people exploiting every little bug and imbalanced part of the game. Multiplayer gaming in 2015.

I remember someone mentioning how you can farm exp for your class--any instructions on that? I rather rush to get the ascensions than wait.

Alienous

I remember someone mentioning how you can farm exp for your class--any instructions on that? I rather rush to get the ascensions than wait.

I believe the tactic was creating a party of two or more people, starting a game of Cloak and Dagger (I don't know if password protection takes away gained XP), and taking turns interrogating each other and picking up the disc objective as an attacker.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
it really does

The least constructive thing I can say in this regard is. Get goood. It doesn't It's not an issue. Play smart, have awareness, never go out alone into enemy lines. If your ally is walking forward facing forward walk backwards watching his back.

It's such a non issue and I say this as a player that favors Enforcer and Scout.

S Speed with an assault rifle? I'd love to know how.

Me too, and how to not show up on radar at the same time. Or how to not get killed in a few shots going ham on an entire team.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
S speed doesn't happen but infiltrators can easily run amok if your team isn't organized.

That's the POINT of the class. Sneak in and cause chaos.

Enforcers have a perk that DINGS loud as fuck to them when someone is near them and scouts have nvg and e locators.

Infiltrators have it a lot harder than you guys make it sound

Top Bottom