• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

kendrid

Banned
can someone calmly tell me why the fuck I still can't play this game since yesterday and why are konami servers so FUCKING GARBAGE.

"failed to log in to server"

EU here. am I seriously the only one?

Does this happen after coming out of rest mode? If so force close the app and restart it.

Demoskinos

I don't know if its AWFUL

but its certainly not "good", in any objective or subjective usage of that descriptor. Its like the tacked-on multiplayer you get in games like Tomb Raider or whatever.

Its not what some hardcore MGO 2 fans wanted but same thing happened with MGO 2. it was fairly light on content and sort of mess for awhile then updates straightened that out. There were also fans of the original MGO who didn't like some of the changes in MGO 2. so really this is cyclical. Let's just hope MGO 3 gets the same love through updates that MGO 2 did.

aember

I just wish the devs actually communicated with us. What's the status of the patches or something? It's nice that they retweeted some fan tournament stuff, but I'm not sure if I like that instead of tweeting patch progress, maybe some noteworthy fixes from an upcoming update, we get retweets of some random people streaming the game.

Oni Jazar

can someone calmly tell me why the fuck I still can't play this game since yesterday and why are konami servers so FUCKING GARBAGE.

EU here. am I seriously the only one?

I'm having the same issue and this is coming from the Star Wars beta so it's not a ps4 resume issue.

I just wish the devs actually communicated with us. What's the status of the patches or something? It's nice that they retweeted some fan tournament stuff, but I'm not sure if I like that instead of tweeting patch progress, maybe some noteworthy fixes from an upcoming update, we get retweets of some random people streaming the game.
They said that they were going to work based on feedback. To what extent is beyond me.

fritzo

Can you make custom games where you exclude certain guns (similar to MGO2)? Like a tranq guns only game? Reason I ask is that I rarely get tranqed. And I don't bother bringing my tranq gun at all in BH or CC. It feels useless most times.

True. I guess I just expected more.

I remember seeing CDPR devs talk about upcoming patch stuff on their forums, I found that to be pretty cool.
Konami has been keeping the LA guys on an ultra tight leash for a while now so I wouldn't expect any transparency anytime soon.

Xiraiya

Why does Kojima Productions have such trouble with camo patterns, it was the same way in MGSV and MGO2.

MGO2 & 3 Desert Chocolate Chip might as well be snow camo
Woodland might as well be a night camo with how dark and jumbled the patern is.
Finally Multicam is so soft and missing shades that its basically a desert brown.
I would say that's clearly more to do with the lighting/rendering engine of the games changing how the camo appears.
The actual texture files for the camo themselves are probably fine.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I agree that the game is currently lacking content and some of that japanese/Kojima charm but the online play is super fun and offers a really solid base. It seems like there are always people who are dissatisfied when there is such a big change from previous iterations. I can see this game growing into something great and what we have now is good enough for me (for now) while I wait for future content which is most assuredly coming. From playing the Star Wars Battlefront beta, I realized just how much more fun I was having with MGO, and this was a full priced product but attached to a game I've sunk hours upon hours into! I'm happy. :)

Xiraiya

I kind of wonder what people were expecting for them to already be disappointed.

I mean I was expecting the MGSV gameplay in an online environment, that's exactly what MGO is,

I don't want to shit on a developers hard work, but I feel this game missed the mark in a lot of ways.

I can't find that spark of fun that usually makes multiplayer games enjoyable to play. MGO should have potential as an interesting stealth shooter, I just don't see it in its current state. And regrettably I think it might be too far gone to remedy with patches.

Rush mode feels too small for Walker Gears.
The basic assault rifle seems better than almost every other weapon.
I just unlocked the Uragan with the Infiltrator class at level 20 something. But why? It's heavier than my default pistol, does less damage, and carries fewer bullets.
The unlocks in general seem very bare bones.
Customization options such as hair and clothing are lacking.
Defenders in Cloak and Dagger shouldn't have stealth camo.
Everybody sprints, the sky is full of e-locators and sleeping gas grenades.
I can interrogate/fulton a guy and have his buddy spawn in next to me for an unfair death/kill.

Regardless of all this I'm going to keep at it for a bit longer. Who knows, maybe it gets better.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of wonder what people were expecting for them to already be disappointed.

I mean I was expecting the MGSV gameplay in an online environment, that's exactly what MGO is,

I think people are expecting it to be MGO2... or, more accurately, the idealised version of MGO2 in their heads.

There are certain little details I miss, sure, but all in all I think it's pretty damn good. I just need to get to grips with it.

fritzo

I agree that the game is currently lacking content and some of that japanese/Kojima charm but the online play is super fun and offers a really solid base. It seems like there are always people who are dissatisfied when there is such a big change from previous iterations. I can see this game growing into something great and what we have now is good enough for me (for now) while I wait for future content which is most assuredly coming. From playing the Star Wars Battlefront beta, I realized just how much more fun I was having with MGO, and this was a full priced product but attached to a game I've sunk hours upon hours into! I'm happy. :)

Yup its fun. I can't wait till they add more content, by that I don't mean hats and gear. Add maps, modes, guns, game customization.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm enjoying my time with it a lot. I do think the buddy spawn thing is weird, but it's great for people trying to get back into the fight.

Personally I go all tranq pistol and never use assault rifles. Just more fun for me. Getting headshots is very satisfying.

It's a lot more fun when you're playing with people who get the game's mechanics and interact with them. CQC is really cool in a multiplayer context.

I played a lot of MGO2, and while this is much faster, I think a lot of what made MGO unique is still here.

Edit: And yes they need a LOT more stuff.

Well for starters I was expecting more than 3 modes, specially when they already showed one of said missing modes in the reveal trailer. I expected this to have basic features MGO2 already had like text chat, clans, ranked modes and a functional server browser - why oh why would I search for rooms with passwords by default? - I expected customization to be a bit deeper than a total of two clothing options before ascending with some accessories on top, and the list goes on.

Balance issues were expected, but ignoring most of what made MGO2 great made me really salty for a while. I get that MGO2 didn't start filled with features and content either but it's not like they had to start from absolute scratch, there were a lot of ideas from late MGO2 to go with and they just ignored most of it. It's like they weren't even trying to please MGO2 vets aside from throwing a half assed TSNE knockoff in. I still really like the game and hope it gets fixed, but this is a major letdown regardless.

aember

Oh boy, the AM MRS-4 with Dot Sight, Muzzle Brake and Foregrip, combined with Lethal Aim+ is essentially a laser rifle. Time to see how this works out in multiplayer.

e: well I can see why everyone and their mother uses it. I can literally snipe across the map in full auto with this thing.

fritzo

Does Ascension seem pointless to anyone else? Or am I missing something? All I see on the Reddit guide is your avatar getting a new suit and GP. Is that it?

Jaeger

Well for starters I was expecting more than 3 modes, specially when they already showed one of said missing modes in the reveal trailer. I expected this to have basic features MGO2 already had like text chat, clans, ranked modes and a functional server browser - why oh why would I search for rooms with passwords by default? - I expected customization to be a bit deeper than a total of two clothing options before ascending with some accessories on top, and the list goes on.

Balance issues were expected, but ignoring most of what made MGO2 great made me really salty for a while. I get that MGO2 didn't start filled with features and content either but it's not like they had to start from absolute scratch, there was a lot of ideas from late MGO2 to go with and they just ignored most of it. It's like they weren't even trying to please MGO2 vets aside from throwing a half assed TSNE knockoff in. I still really like the game and hope it gets fixed, but this is a major letdown regardless.

You have to look at Konam-Current, and not Kojima-Konami. I expected the incomplete and possible buggy game and not a complete and fleshed out experience amongst all the numerous development and internal issues the company has been having for years, now. There was no way this was gonna be late MGO2 (late cycle) out the gate.

With that said I am having a blast. There's nothing like this out there, and the engine shines (thx Kojima). In time it will continue to become an even better experience (Konami seems to be actually supporting this game, so there's that).

aember

Does Ascension seem pointless to anyone else? Or am I missing something? All I see on the Reddit guide is your avatar getting a new suit and GP. Is that it?
The way I see it, it's for people who can't play without a leveling system. Once you hit the cap you can start back at Lv1 instead of thinking "well what now?"

You lose all the level unlocks and get a special suit, GP and a little star on your name. It's pretty shitty, yeah.

This game could be fun if played right. Every time I play cloak and dagger as attacker, they all just sprint out in the open and die instantly.

Won a round myself last night after the whole team died in the first minute of the round. It was pretty intense. I need a team to play with lol, then this game would be amazing.

MGO Cloak and Dagger victory

fritzo

You lose all the level unlocks and get a special suit, GP and a little star on your name. It's pretty shitty, yeah.

I thought you'd at least get extra slots for items and weapons. I miss the rankings from MGO2. This game doesn't need to copy MGO2, but it doesn't seem like a progression from it like it should be.

Reebot

With a myriad of technical problems and a small sampling of poor balance.

You can't reduce it down that easily my friend.

You have to look at Konam-Current, and not Kojima-Konami. I expected the incomplete and possible buggy game and not a complete and fleshed out experience amongst all the numerous development and internal issues the company has been having for years, now. There was no way this was gonna be late MGO2 (late cycle) out the gate.

With that said I am having a blast. There's nothing like this out there, and the engine shines (thx Kojima). In time it will continue to become an even better experience (Konami seems to be actually supporting this game, so there's that).
I have no doubt that this will become amazing once it gets patches and DLC. My only worries are the cadence of said content with current Konami, if we get them at all. Right now all I have is a deafening silence from the devs and the sounds of stun grenades making me insane one fulton at a time.

Reebot

Absolutely. I don't MGO3 is anywhere near as bad though. At least, not from my experience so far.

I missed the MGO 2 launch so I can't compare; I do think the lag is borderline killer for the game. Without a way to screen lobbies for ping/proximity its just too frustrating.

Alienous

I'm not enjoying this anymore.

I'm playing, because I want to enjoy it, but I don't think I will.

The balance really shit the bed as everyone unlocked the full scope of abilities and equipment.

I would say that's clearly more to do with the lighting/rendering engine of the games changing how the camo appears.
The actual texture files for the camo themselves are probably fine.

For the multicam/wetland camo maybe but Woodland/Leaf and Chocolate Chip/Desert Fox the colors and patterns are way off.
They actually had it right on the Rebel costume in MGS4 besides the faded look, but elsewhere the pattern is just too small.
latest

Camo has always kinda bugged me in MGS, like why is the US military using a desert camouflage that was outdated in 2003, in a game released in 2008 set in 2014.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I missed the MGO 2 launch so I can't compare; I do think the lag is borderline killer for the game. Without a way to screen lobbies for ping/proximity its just too frustrating.

Isn't there a signal icon in the Select Match list or am I hallucinating (I am running a fever)? I think it takes a while to show up.

Jaeger

I have no doubt that this will become amazing once it gets patches and DLC. My only worries are the cadence of said content with current Konami, if we get them at all. Right now all I have is a deafening silence from the devs and the sounds of stun grenades making me insane one fulton at a time.

I completely understand. They have confirmed that there will be forthcoming content, however.

I think Konami understands how big this can be.

konjak

Considering Konami wants to make more consistent money now, and probably make back more than MGS5's budget, I would expect them to want to try to keep the online community for this game going for at least a while to get more money out of it. Active games like this can make a lot more money in the long term, so I expect it to be supported for a bit.

Reebot

Considering Konami wants to make more consistent money now, and probably make back more than MGS5's budget, I would expect them to want to try to keep the online community for this game going for at least a while to get more money out of it. Active games like this can make a lot more money in the long term, so I expect it to be supported for a bit.

But they don't want to spend any more money. It could really go either way.

Gorillaz

I can see Konami supporting this for a little while due to them trying to make money back and probably finally happy they have a horse in the race to micro transaction to hell in the future.

However if they plan on doing this then an entire uphauling of mechanics need to be done first. Which Im expecting they will since this MP looks like it was made in that one month they had from launch.

I think the big question is, will they do it fast enough before everyone leaves for the big games in a month? It's not 2008 anymore where the MP landscape was Halo and CoD4 was still on the rise. Alot of these MPs already have their footing and fanbase. They gonna have to get it together fast

Top Bottom