• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Demoskinos

Basically, what I'm reading in this thread is "the things i'm on the receiving end of (getting shot with a Bullhorn, shot/grabbed by guy in Active Camo, attacked by Walker gears, etc.) need to be nerfed, cause I don't know how to counter it".

Exactly. At some point it on the onus of the player to learn how to adapt and counter things. All these cries to nerf everything would just destroy the game. I'm also in general not a fan of nerfing things. If there is imbalance it may not be that "x" skill is overpowered it may be the solution is that something else is just underpowered.

Basically, what I'm reading in this thread is "the things i'm on the receiving end of (getting shot with a Bullhorn, shot/grabbed by guy in Active Camo, attacked by Walker gears, etc.) need to be nerfed, cause I don't know how to counter it".
Yup, that's correct, the game is perfectly balanced in every way and any criticism is unjust because the scrub player making the claim just needs to gitgud. :l

I picked Scout for my MGSV:TPP avatar, and then didn't want to actually play as it and made another Scout in my third slot. Now I like that scout, but apparently there is absolutely no way to reset the first avatar's levels and class when I want to see what Enforcer is all about.

I don't understand both why they 100% locked down the first slot, and to a related extent: why you can't edit the other two avatar looks.

There's a high probability that there will be paid extra character slots, like in the last MGO.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
They shouldn't have bothered with this class system imo, it should been a level playing field like the old games where you "buy" weapons/items before each round and each respawn like Counter Strike.

I'm not even sure what the point of the class system is. You can't switch in the middle of rounds to counter-pick the enemy team balance. The skills aren't really "ground breaking" enough to make them all different. There's really no point to it.

Alienous

I know how to counter everything. You throw an E-Locator into every corner. It just isn't very fun, and ruins a lot of other tactics.

I picked Scout for my MGSV:TPP avatar, and then didn't want to actually play as it and made another Scout in my third slot. Now I like that scout, but apparently there is absolutely no way to reset the first avatar's levels and class when I want to see what Enforcer is all about.

I don't understand both why they 100% locked down the first slot, and to a related extent: why you can't edit the other two avatar looks.

You wouldn't happen to be the Konjak? If so might I just say I'm a huge fan. Beautiful art. Great games.

GodofWine

Yea...I'm not having most of the issues people are reporting, but a lot of ppl in here are the hardcore MGO vets, and its normal for people to complain about changes to a games formula. I didnt really like MGO2, and find this one to be worlds better, but its all personal preference.

Like any "comment or review" section. Its the people who are least happy that make the most comments, so the tone here is normal.

The only game breaker I found so far is mortar spam, SNIPE THAT DUDE PEOPLE.

Re elocators, I found they are so visible that you can just sneak around them, and if not, you know the enemy is probably in that circle so crouch and wait for a head to pop up, then pop it off

Demoskinos

Yup, that's correct, the game is perfectly balanced in every way and any criticism is unjust because the scrub player making the claim just needs to gitgud. :l

Nobody ever said that it doesnt need balancing but there is a lot of reactionary knee jerk reactions to things in this thread.

TCKaos

Here's something neat: if you're playing Cloak and Dagger with an Enforcer then the shield can act like a solid sheet of camo, making you functionally invisible. There are no angles or anything for the enemy to see, so other than the edge of the shield you're completely invisible.

Alienous

Nobody ever said that it doesnt need balancing but there is a lot of reactionary knee jerk reactions to things in this thread.

I wouldn't call it "knee jerk".

If you join a match and you see the a dramatic tendency towards a certain tactic unbalanced shit is afoot. Now, that isn't to say there aren't counters, just that playing a game to counter something that is over-powered greatly restricts your options.

I went from mixing it up with my classes to spamming E-Locators so that I could be competitive with opponents doing the same, and the Stealth Camo wearers sprinting everywhere. I don't think I see players do well in a match who aren't doing one of the above.

That's true. It could also be argued it's a little early to be deciding what needs balancing too.
Balancing is not our call, doesn't mean we don't get to provide feedback.

Honestly the only things that I think need balancing are spawns - get rid of them aside from the HQ spawn and base spawns in comm , spawns everywhere destroy any semblance of chokepoint gameplay - snipers - not good enough - and stuns - too easy to get, too hard to take advantage on, mostly on C&D.

Alienous

This game may have the worst sniping ever. That fucking sway and rate of fire. Waist up shot be 1 shot kill on infiltrators.

Ridiculous game

The game shits the bed on the balance, and that is so important to a multiplayer game.

They should have had a beta. They should at least be on Twitter gathering opinions for a patch.

I sort of feel, now, that Kojima Productions LA's job was just to get the game out of the door. You'd hope the whole team is there working on patches and tweaks, but I wouldn't be surprised with the Konami drama if they're now a skeleton crew, there to man the social media accounts. They were a lot more communicative prior to release, strangely.

Do guns jam in MGO?

I've lost many a one on one because I start shooting a guy and suddenly my gun stops firing... They turn around and kill me.

Alienous

Who are you providing feedback to...?

I'm throwing suggestions out their into cyberspace, hoping that Konami hasn't already killed Kojima Productions LA, and that perhaps the team is looking at forums to get feedback on the game.

It's a little bit hopeful, but hope is all I have for MGO3.

The game shits the bed on the balance, and that is so important to a multiplayer game.

They should have had a beta. They should at least be on Twitter gathering opinions for a patch.

I sort of feel, now, that Kojima Productions LA's job was just to get the game out of the door. You'd hope the whole team is there working on patches and tweaks, but I wouldn't be surprised with the Konami drama if they're now a skeleton crew, there to man the social media accounts. They were a lot more communicative prior to release, strangely.
There is just so many terrible design decisions and balance issues it makes me wonder if they even play tested it. It's a shame cause the mechanics of the game are fantastic.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'm throwing suggestions out their into cyberspace, hoping that Konami hasn't already killed Kojima Productions LA, and that perhaps the team is looking at forums to get feedback on the game.

It's a little bit hopeful, but hope is all I have for MGO3.

Like I said to Stone Ocean: email them directly.

There's still the PC version to work on, I wanna believe that it won't be just this but 3 months late.

Alienous

Do it.

As someone brought up in here, I'm going to suggest they make the heads of the characters look where the camera is pointing.

I think that was me. I'm not sure if that could be done easily (it's more that tweaking variables), but I'd love to see its return.

EDIT:
They last tweeted on the 9th, so maybe they are just off work for the weekend. Hopefully Monday will bring patch news.

Demoskinos

I wouldn't call it "knee jerk".

If you join a match and you see the a dramatic tendency towards a certain tactic unbalanced shit is afoot. Now, that isn't to say there aren't counters, just that playing a game to counter something that is over-powered greatly restricts your options.

I went from mixing it up with my classes to spamming E-Locators so that I could be competitive with opponents doing the same, and the Stealth Camo wearers sprinting everywhere. I don't think I see players do well in a match who aren't doing one of the above.

I never use e-loc and I never feel like I'm not competitive. Your not forced to use them at all. The biggest counter to the stealth camo is just simple awareness. The only real change I would even make to stealth camo is if you are shot you should decloak.

Ardenyal

This "the complainers must be bad at the game / salty veterans / entitled pricks" is pretty funny but the game is just not fun in it's current state. At lower levels the unlocks are doled out unevenly which leads to one class being overpowered and on higher levels everyone has tools to kill any tactics one might come up with and therefore everyone is forced into the same builds (gun that goes brakka brakka and lots of e. locators / stun grenades).

It's been at least two days since i've been sniped last time. I don't even remember the last time i was outplayed by an infiltrator sneaking around they all just sprint towards you and cqc because thanks to the lag they wont get staggered when shot. A couple shield enforcers here and there but they're just too slow to contribute in any game mode.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I think that was me. I'm not sure if that could be done easily (it's more that tweaking variables), but I'd love to see its return.

EDIT:
They last tweeted on the 9th, so maybe they are just off work for the weekend. Hopefully Monday will bring patch news.

Add that to your tweet then, it's a good shout.

Ardenyal

... I'm having fun though. Is there something wrong with me?

People have fun with a hoop and a stick but i wouldnt pay $60 for it. Being happy to be along for the ride is cool but i want to have fun because the game is actually fun to play.

Jaeger

Something wrong with both of us, I think.

I suppose so.

People have fun with a hoop and a stick but i wouldnt pay $60 for it. Being happy to be along for the ride is cool but i want to have fun because the game is actually fun to play.

But this didn't cost $60. And you should frame the sentence differently. Implying the game is not fun and anyone having fun with it desires less than is not accurate. Just say "...I don't like it...".

Alienous

I never use e-loc and I never feel like I'm not competitive. Your not forced to use them at all. The biggest counter to the stealth camo is just simple awareness. The only real change I would even make to stealth camo is if you are shot you should decloak.

I want to see the receipts.

This is what the SHARE button was made for.

Trickshot

Speaking of balance, what's the general consensus on walker gears? We all know how to take them out by now (focus fire/sneaking/stun grenade/etc). But are they a fun addition to interact with?

Whenever I see one running around, I just sigh. I hate those things.

Unlike the tank in battlefield, or warthog in halo, where I enjoy taking them out.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

But... But I think it is fun to play.

I want to see the receipts.

This is what the SHARE button was made for.

I don't use the e-locator (although I think they're great for zoning) and I do okay. Then again, I'm playing infiltrator... albeit properly :)

I'm terrible and have no problems with stealth camo besides defenders having it in C&D (that's just bad game design in general).

Yeah, C&D does need it removed. Problem is, it's tied to a perk.

Speaking of balance, what's the general consensus on walker gears? We all know how to take them out by now (focus fire/sneaking/stun grenade/etc). But are they a fun addition to interact with?

Unlike the tank in battlefield, or warthog in halo, where I enjoy taking them out.
Balance-wise they're not a problem, I just think they disrupt the pace of the game a bit too much and should be toggleable.

aember

I don't really mind them. I played at least a good 20 matches yesterday and I don't remember anyone actually using those things.

Quidam

So what game modes are 'one life', i.e. if you die, it's over for that round and you just need to spectate.

I'm looking for any game modes that really ratchet up the stealth gameplay and tension

Yeah, C&D does need it removed. Problem is, it's tied to a perk.
Don't see how that's a problem, just remove it from the inventory of attackers just like lethal weaponry is removed from defender loadouts.
So what game modes are 'one life', i.e. if you die, it's over for that round and you just need to spectate.

I'm looking for any game modes that really ratchet up the stealth gameplay and tension
Just Cloak and Dagger

As a MGO2 veteran, I believe this game has lived up to its predecessor! Of course it's a very different type of MGO, but it very much is MGO. Some people just want an exact replica of MGO2. Although that game is a classic in its own right; I don't want the same game again! I'm really enjoying this, and I believe it requires a decent amount of skill which helps me enjoy it. Maybe not as much skill as MGO2, but this isn't COD. Not even close.

Just let the haters hate.

Only complaint I have is Walker Gears are pretty over powered. I feel like it's to hard to get around them, especially if they're camping in a corner.

..and the connection problems.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Don't see how that's a problem, just remove it from the inventory of attackers just like lethal weaponry is removed from defender loadouts.

If you do that, any Infiltrator who plays C&D is at a distinct disadvantage. They'll have 1-3 empty perk slots while every other class is fully perked. Hardly fair.

Basketball

I think I'm done with game for now until the updates come in and patches

The game is barebones as hell and I've already ascended my scout. The game really does need balancing.

Scouts need a holding breath ability
Because the sway is ridiculous + sniper damage buff. And the perks barely do anything just wastes of skill space. (I also play the recon team in bf3/4 so I know what the sway should be like)

Cqc stun lock and sleep time should be reduced or maybe have some percent 50 to 75% chance of occurring which rises with level

No dwalkers on rush maps.
Only close range weapons for infiltrators like pistols/smg and shottys.
And they should lose camo immediately when firing except for tranq.. Until they get higher skills where they can partially stay in camo but never a full clip of a smg

I think Scouts should only have elocators since that is the marking heavy class.
You should be able to break out of a Fulton if they don't Fulton you fast enough.. Laying on the ground for 8 seconds is not fun for anyone.

If you sprint the camo should die out faster.
I have rekt plenty infil scum who think their clever
but really some of the decisions with that class and with the game are mind boggling.

Oh yeah fuck sleep launchers
Fuck teammates who don't don't shoot down balloons
Fuck dwalkers teams
Fuck sprinting infilscum teams on bounty hunter

Praise the scouts. I know their the hardest class to master/gitgud at but I generally don't go for cheap stuff in multiplayer games. I hate you sleep spammers. Ascended scout lvl 10

Top Bottom