• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Alienous

I completely agree. I think they should remove some of the armor in the front so you can shoot the pilot. Being in the d-walker already gives you...

~145° invincibility
~triple walking speed
Insta kill Chain gun

What's the trade off? You show up on the map as a big red dot? I think that's wrong. There should be a bigger weakness for them! Maybe even broaden the the distance around it to 180° for you to be able to CQC the pilot

An animation should play, like in the MGO3 reveal trailer, when you want to rotate your camera and aim in a Walker Gear, and its speed should be proportional to how close to 180 degrees you are turning.

As it is now it's instantaneous. Getting behind a good Walker Gear player is really difficult, because they can turn on a dime if they suspect anything, and even if they don't.

SomTervo

yeah, that's my biggest problem with it. it's way too arcadey. the pacing is too much like a shooter (which is in stark contrast to TLoU where you can thrive by slowly stealthing around). cloak and dagger is really the only exception, but the heavy reliance on stealth camo and how it gets disabled when your team is seen ruins a lot of matches if you're playing with people who sprint all over the place.

MGO3 is its own game, and is distinct from MGO2, so I'm totally happy with this new, more arcadey approach. MGO had to develop somehow, and they've tried it the more 'simulation' route already, so to move it forward they tried a faster, more accessible design style.

I like it. It's very sad MGO2 is dead, but that's hardly the Konami LA team's fault.

Edit: agree there are some balancing issues, especially with foolhardy players, but I think this will level out in coming months.

SomTervo

Last of us multilayer is garbage.

If you want a decent stealth MP mode, play splinter cell blacklist.

Not sure if srs.

Last of us multilayer is garbage.

confused-jacknicholson.gif

Well, I played both the previous MGOs but I've not played TLoU yet. I'm loving MGO3 (except Rush) and fully expect to be playing for as long as it lives.

> Screaming Meat posts on GAF
> hasn't played TLoU yet
> SomTervo cries

And yeah, I'm loving MGO3, too. MGO2 was fantastic as well, it was almost more like a small-encounter military simulator than an multiplayer TPS.

Alienous

I think, as far as balancing is concerned, they need to focus on sprinting.

Really that's the ingredient that separates games like MGO2 and TLOU Multiplayer from games like Call of Duty. If you could sprint without penalty in TLOU Multiplayer it would be a very different, far less tactical game.

There are a few things they could do. Nerfing E-Locators would make being marked less of a novelty, which would probably make players more cautious about appearing on the enemy radar.

Perhaps making players automatically get staggered if they are shot in the direction they are sprinting. I'd have to play the game with that setting to see the domino effect of what that would do, but I imagine it would result in less careless sprinting, and less sprinting towards enemies.

I think that Stealth Camo being drained heavily while sprinting would also discourage it.

Basically they need to tune the game so that sprinting is used in bursts to cover distance, or evade, rather than used without thought. Appearing on the enemy radar doesn't seem to be enough alone. If sprinting occurs less, then the pace of the game would naturally slow down, and it would become more tactical as a result.

Twookie

good god that stun slug shotgun is hilariously bad. I get that they want you to get headshots but seriousy, 4 bodyshots at 10-20m is not enough to stun people? Whats even the point of using it

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Goog games with GAF last night :3
Hopefully we can play again today

good god that stun slug shotgun is hilariously bad. I get that they want you to get headshots but seriousy, 4 bodyshots at 10-20m is not enough to stun people? Whats even the point of using it
Because it knocks people down, you get a hit in you'll likely get a stun anyways.

wilsonda

Not sure why so much d walker hate... even if you can't get behind them it they are super easy to just shoot. They go down in one rifle magazine so if you have two people shoot at it the d walker is done in like 3 seconds

In most matches I've played the d walker is a non factor

Demoskinos

There is a perk for the enforcers to take less stun damage so that can play a factor. But the knockdown almost guarantees a stun.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I absolutely love TLOU MP. I've been playing it since the PS3, and later on the PS4... straight (I stopped right before MGSV). If anyone wants to give it a go, I'd be down to revisit it.
I should try and make a TLOU GAF Community, but I don't have the balls to do it.

On to something completely different... Last night, we Gafers fooled around with the settings to get a less Arcady feel.
We ignored Com Control.
Set Bounty Hunter to 8 tickets
And played a series of 10 minute C&D, no rush, @ Night.
Pretty rewarding, and a lot of fun.

Alienous

I absolutely love TLOU MP. I've been playing it since the PS3, and later on the PS4... straight (I stopped right before MGSV). If anyone wants to give it a go, I'd be down to revisit it.
I should try and make a TLOU GAF Community, but I don't have the balls to do it.

On to something completely different... Last night, we Gafers fooled around with the settings to get a less Arcady feel.
We ignored Com Control.

That's pretty smart.

I'd love to play a 6 v 6 GAF match, even with default settings.

Not sure why so much d walker hate... even if you can't get behind them it they are super easy to just shoot. They go down in one rifle magazine so if you have two people shoot at it the d walker is done in like 3 seconds

In most matches I've played the d walker is a non factor
I like to run a weapon less infiltrator and take my time to get around. I can perfect approach one not paying attention to me and he can notice me at the last second just with the camera and tap the aim button to automatically turn faster than a person on foot. That shit is not correct.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
> Screaming Meat posts on GAF
> hasn't played TLoU yet
> SomTervo cries

And yeah, I'm loving MGO3, too. MGO2 was fantastic as well, it was almost more like a small-encounter military simulator than an multiplayer TPS.

Don't cry! I'll get on it right after Bloodborne. :)

People certainly didn't play MGO2 like that unless box popping is standard practice for the SAS.

Like I said before, I love tlou and mgo3. After hopping on tlou again, I really wish it controlled as well as mgo3. I think kojima has ruined other third person shooters for me. Those saying tlou is pay to win definitely don't play too much or maybe play supply raid. I only play survivors and I have never had an issue with the buyable weapons. A good player in tlou can take out anyone with any perk or weapon. Each weapon and perk has its drawbacks. Survivors is by far tje best mode to see the gameplay really shine. Also, any player can use the buyable weapons and perks in the preset classes. My team wins a lot more than we lose but I can easily say I get destroyed by a good bow or shiv player more often than the tactical shotty, crossbow or sniper rifle.

I am having a ton of fun with mgo3. As it is now, I would probably make lmgs better against walkers, nerf elocators by reducing their radius, duration or limit them to scouts only. Make stealth camo wear off when shooting lethal or sprinting and remove stealth from defenders in c&d and reduce scope sway for scouts. Also, sleep launcher should fire a bit slower and buddies probably shouldn't spawn out of your ass when engaged with an enemy. It would also be awesome if you could make custom matches where you could choose what weapons/vehicles were allowed.

on a side note, does anyone remember the no xing/crossing rooms people used to set up in Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear? I wonder if that would ever work on consoles

NeoGiff

We ignored Com Control.

I'm always up for TLOU.

And that playlist sounds great. I was playing Witcher last night and didn't touch MGO. Will you guys be on again today?

Evil Beaver

Very rarely do I find another Enforcer out in the wild. Also I just heard that Infiltrators get the best Assault rifle, shotguns, LMG, and the DAMN AUTOMATIC GRENADE LAUNCHER?! It's like Konami designed the Infiltrator class first then said, "Meh whatever here are two other classes, just give them whatever."

MaFzmyc.png

Shouta

Explosive mines are hilarious. I was playing comm control where the point I was defending had 2 door ways so I mined both. I knew the enemy could shoot me through the doorway so I held my shield in two-handed mode to protect. The guys knew they couldn't kill me with it up so he tries to run up and CQC only to go blown up inside the door due to the mine.

So good.

wilsonda

I like to run a weapon less infiltrator and take my time to get around. I can perfect approach one not paying attention to me and he can notice me at the last second just with the camera and tap the aim button to automatically turn faster than a person on foot. That shit is not correct.

I understand where you come from but your problem is just not with d walker. Any good eyed player can see a stealth player even with camo turned on

I think the main problem is the stealth camo... right not a sharp eyed player can still see stealth players. My thought is that if you are crouched/slow walking/crawling, the player should be completely invisible. If the player is standing or sprinting, the player should be more visible.

I can't tell you how many times I've see really sneaky players try to stealth crawl behind me and I just easily see them and shoot them before they have a chance.

Also running with a weapon is cool but going against a d walker is a low percentage play wo a gun

Finalow

what

the

actual

fuck.

how am I still unable to play this crap? PLEASE, do fucking tell. It's been literally a week and I still get failed to login to server error. guess I'll try to delete everything and install those 28GB again? Nice, maybe I'm done by next week. /edit: uh, if I delete the whole thing I only need to download&install again the latest patch + MGO, and that obviously didn't fix the problem.

please tell why I keep getting that error and how to fix this, at this point I can't believe it's actually the servers' fault.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm always up for TLOU.

And that playlist sounds great. I was playing Witcher last night and didn't touch MGO. Will you guys be on again today?
I'll be on. We should definitely do some last of us...
I know why you've been playing the witcher 3 lately... You like them sex scenes, you dirty bird you

The last of us multiplayer would have been perfect and tactical if there were no revives and no OHK melee spike planks.

MGO is too fast at the minute to be tactical.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Explosive mines are hilarious. I was playing comm control where the point I was defending had 2 door ways so I mined both. I knew the enemy could shoot me through the doorway so I held my shield in two-handed mode to protect. The guys knew they couldn't kill me with it up so he tries to run up and CQC only to go blown up inside the door due to the mine.

So good.

How u do dat.

I can't decide on shield + smg or sleep grenade launcher. The sleep launcher is way more satisfying to play, but without an organized team I just end up putting a bunch of people to sleep and having nothing happen to them since no one but me knows they are asleep :(

Demoskinos

How u do dat.

I can't decide on shield + smg or sleep grenade launcher. The sleep launcher is way more satisfying to play, but without an organized team I just end up putting a bunch of people to sleep and having nothing happen to them since no one but me knows they are asleep :(

I'd like to know as well you know short of not equipping a sub weapon.

Mature

I've been getting some good mileage out of Weapon*3 and UN-AAM + Sleep Launcher. The D sprint doesn't bother me too much.

nillapuddin

I miss MGO 2 :'(

i really liked the drebin points TDM, it was fun starting from nothing and building up your loadout in game, and I loved the maps!

I miss everything :(

I do really like MGO 3 though

If I could make changes.

- No sprint.

- Stealth camo would make you completely invisible aside from weapons like MGO2.

- Gun damage would be lowered drastically for non headshots.

- Boxes everywhere.

- E-locators would only mark people in the blip radius.

- Automatch would let you pick options like Rush or not, Heroes or not etc.

I miss MGO 2 :'(

i really liked the drebin points TDM, it was fun starting from nothing and building up your loadout in game, and I loved the maps!

I miss everything :(

I do really like MGO 3 though

I miss it too! But MGO3 is just as good, but different.

But the thing is, usually with other games if you don't like the sequel, you can go back and play the prequels... Too bad this isn't the case

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If I play one more round against 5+ infiltrators all laying fulton canons I think I'm done playing until a patch or something.

Aceofspades

Banned
I have a question:

Why does the online portion of Metal Gear Solid games numbered separately? I dont think I have seen any other games doing this? for example we dont have Battlefield online 3 for Battlefield 4 or COD online 2 or whatever.

I have a question:

Why does the online portion of Metal Gear Solid games numbered separately? I dont think I have seen any other games doing this? for example we dont have Battlefield online 3 for Battlefield 4 or COD online 2 or whatever.
Technically this is the only officially numbered version of the game, MGO2 is a fan name.

Also technically this is MGO5

Mature

Yeah I'll play some CC. I don't like C&D that much.
I wasn't a fan of TSNE back in the day, but something about C&D works for me. I think it's the open ended nature of the maps. They feel like they cater to the experience a bit more.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I wasn't a fan of TSNE back in the day, but something about C&D works for me. I think it's the open ended nature of the maps. They feel like they cater to the experience a bit more.

I don't mind it so much on the bigger maps but when it's like Red Fortress rush and everyone on both teams is cloaked it's silly. Otherwise it's pretty fun.

Jaeger

Loving the Scout a lot more now. I just hate that giving her all she needs to properly defend herself makes her so damn heavy.

RE4PRR

My aiming is still screwed on this game.

Set with Lethal 1+ and Muzzle brake with grip but I'm either missing shots I shouldn't miss or I'm getting heaps of hit markers but apparently not enough to kill them with.

Is it a glitch when someone shoots at you and your aim goes FUBAR or is that a game mechanic? I swear it doesn't happen all the time.

At this rate I'll have enough GP to get the Beret before I ascend, only 8 more levels to go and I automatch most of the time unless there's too many of us.

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't mind it so much on the bigger maps but when it's like Red Fortress rush and everyone on both teams is cloaked it's silly. Otherwise it's pretty fun.

Red Fortress seems like the hardest map to score on, for me at least. I never end up getting the data discs uploaded there. It's just so easy for the enemies to guard them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If you wake up from sleep while in a fulton does it just self-save you from the fulton? Maybe 80% of the time I fulton someone after putting them to sleep they break out of it with no one around to save them.

c00l

If I could make changes.

- No sprint.

- Stealth camo would make you completely invisible aside from weapons like MGO2.

- Gun damage would be lowered drastically for non headshots.

- Boxes everywhere.

- E-locators would only mark people in the blip radius.

- Automatch would let you pick options like Rush or not, Heroes or not etc.

Sounds good to me.

Top Bottom