• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Demoskinos

If I could make changes.

- No sprint.

- Stealth camo would make you completely invisible aside from weapons like MGO2.

- Gun damage would be lowered drastically for non headshots.

- Boxes everywhere.

- E-locators would only mark people in the blip radius.

- Automatch would let you pick options like Rush or not, Heroes or not etc.

Ugh no. As much as I loved Metal Gear Online 2 it being such a head shot fest was one of the worst parts about it. Body damage actually being viable in matches now is great. Which is making me scratch my head that people earlier in the thread refer to MGO 3 as "Arcadey"

Warewolf

It's confirmed headshots are not one hit KO right? Just want to triple check because it feels like my pistol isn't getting work done.

Ugh no. As much as I loved Metal Gear Online 2 it being such a head shot fest was one of the worst parts about it. Body damage actually being viable in matches now is great. Which is making me scratch my head that people earlier in the thread refer to MGO 3 as "Arcadey"

Headshot damage is not the same as in MGO2, and without sprint the body damage would need be nerfed or CQC would be useless.

konjak

Starting to give up on ever being good at this game, even a little. Especially Bounty Hunter. I am very frequently the bottom scorer there and I have no clue what it is I don't seem to learn. I love the game, but it's getting to my nerves, hah.

Starting to give up on ever being good at this game, even a little. Especially Bounty Hunter. I am very frequently the bottom scorer there and I have no clue what it is I don't seem to learn. I love the game, but it's getting to my nerves, hah.

One good fulton is all it takes to top the scoreboard.

Raiden

Banned
Lately things have turned around for me and i dont know why really. It feels like im having host advantage and everybody is lagging. Except its not as i usually join games that are going and leave for another. Went from a negative K/D ratio to something like 1.5 now. I find it extremely easy to spot the camo guys though, half my kills are them trying to rush me.

konjak

One good fulton is all it takes to top the scoreboard.

You should've seen my session today. I was going insane. Every time I started a fulton (and usually a teammate was near, not helping much) it would be interrupted. Like clockwork, people seemed to know to pick the guy I knocked down for them to spawn at, just when I started a fulton. I mean, I suck, but that is surely a ridiculous streak of bad luck for that to happen so much?

Not every time of course, but surely a third of the time. The rest was just someone always spotting my dang balloons. Just wish they couldn't spawn at KO'd people.

Alienous

Well, as a big fan of your work, I'll trade you my ability to be good at MGO3 for your skill in art and making games, haha.

But in truth it's like Call of Duty in that you just need to be able to shoot first in any firefight. Reflexes is the easiest way, but you can also try to keep yourself located where you can get the jump on an enemy.

This isn't a high TTK game where skill wins the day. If you get shot first you'll probably die first. Sprint between cover and focus on getting your first shot on target. If you really want to stay alive just outright evade when someone shoots at you first. And obviously, in Bounty Hunter, try to aim for at least one good Fulton mid-match. I just pick one person in particular and hunt them.

konjak

This isn't a high TTK game where skill wins the day. If you get shot first you'll probably die first. Sprint between cover and focus on getting your first shot on target. If you really want to stay alive just outright evade when someone shoots at you first. And obviously, in Bounty Hunter, try to aim for at least one good Fulton mid-match.

Thanks! But part of my poor performance is very poor aim, haha. I don't really play console shooters, and there are few things more frustrating than flicking the crosshair back and forth past a target like I still do a lot.

And hey, thanks for being a fan. But my work is still work, so when I have time to play I wish I got less frustrated. :D

If I could make changes.

- No sprint.

- Stealth camo would make you completely invisible aside from weapons like MGO2.

- Gun damage would be lowered drastically for non headshots.

- Boxes everywhere.

- E-locators would only mark people in the blip radius.

- Automatch would let you pick options like Rush or not, Heroes or not etc.

What do you mean about blip radius? I've always assumed if I stay out of the radius then I'm not marked?

Drencrom

Fuck the cheap fulton cannons and the martyrdoom skill (dropping a live grenade when killed). The lag makes it impossible to get away from the grenades at times.

I'm having a blast besides that though, best MP shooter in years imo.

As much as I'm loving MGO there's still some big issues that need to be sorted.

Sprinting and CQC are OP. Diving is too easy to spam. D-Walker shouldn't be able to turn on a dime. Some weapons need to be rebalanced as well because the sleep gas grenade launcher is stupidly OP and should be removed.

Stuns shouldn't be so easy to accomplish as a fulton should be something that's easy to get.

Overall though, I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I did in the first few days as every game i've played since has had a lot more teamplay and a lot more players utilizing their classes in ways that make sense.

EDIT: Also E-locators are OP too. Plus when everyone in the game is marked it's really hard to see due to the icons scattering the map everywhere. Also, probably more of an issue on my end is that when an enemy or a team mate is choke holding I sometimes struggle to tell whose choking who due to the player tag. I've let a few team mates get KO'd purely because I didn't realise they were the one's being restrained.

Alienous

What's wrong with that? They'd be pretty pointless otherwise.

Far from it. It worked like that in MGO2. It let you see if an enemy player was in that zone, but left you ignorant of where they are when they leave it.

So instead of them being used as wall-hack grenades, like they are, they would be used to check areas for enemies (objectives, corners), like I imagine they were intended to be used.

The comms log and speaker signs should both stay up for longer, it's quite hard for me to see everything fast enough to understand the situation.

Far from it. It worked like that in MGO2. It let you see if an enemy player was in that zone, but left you ignorant of where they are when they leave it.

So instead of them being used as wall-hack grenades, like they are, they would be used to check areas for enemies (objectives, corners), like I imagine they were intended to be used.

Markers for you and your buddy are a big part of the game though, binoculars will do the same thing, interrogating will do the same thing. You have several strategies to avoid it: sprint away, avoid marker radius, use a box as a marker sheild, leave your box behind with your marker on it.

Menthuss

I always seem to get paired with the biggest retards on bounty hunter.

"Wait, we're losing? Better shoot those unconscious enemies!"
"Oh crap, teammate with a huge bounty is getting fultoned! Better ignore him completely and keep shooting enemies!"

Meanwhile the enemy team always shoots down our fulton attempts and actually bother with knockouts and fultons.

That's what I get for playing with randoms I guess :(

Alienous

I know it's easy to harp on the Fulton killers, but there are Fulton crazy players who aren't much better.

Risking almost certain death for a +3. Your death doesn't help. Sometimes the certainty of the kill is worth more.

Menthuss

I know it's easy to harp on the Fulton killers, but there are Fulton crazy players who aren't much better.

Risking almost certain death for a +3. Your death doesn't help. Sometimes the certainty of the kill is worth more.

Nah, I'm talking people that shoot +10 bounties that are unconscious in secluded locations. All the damn time.

OG Kush

Played my first match. 16 players. All i see are spike red glowing things flying in the air and flashbangs constantly. Killcount was really high and I finished one round thinking that was it. Next thing I know theres another bounty round. I want to quit.. there was no such option in the menu to quit?
I understand quitting is bad but when the server admin sets such long rounds its stupid. Also what was the deal with all these goddamn flash bangs?
Pretty bad first impressions of the game. Just seemed like everyone was running around like a headless chicken.

Alienous

Played my first match. 16 players. All i see are spike red glowing things flying in the air and flashbangs constantly. Killcount was really high and I finished one round thinking that was it. Next thing I know theres another bounty round. I want to quit.. there was no such option in the menu to quit?
I understand quitting is bad but when the server admin sets such long rounds its stupid. Also what was the deal with all these goddamn flash bangs?
Pretty bad first impressions of the game. Just seemed like everyone was running around like a headless chicken.

You can quit. Hold down the left side of the touchpad on PS4.

Also you're playing MGO3 in its worst form. The further the weapons get from Level 1 equipment the more blatantly unbalanced they are, including the rave grenades, those red glowing things, that mark people and essentially lets you see them through walls. The game also seems better designed for 6v6.

Try Cloak & Dagger. The rules of that mode alleviate some of the imbalance.

Alienous

They should remove points for killing anyone stunned or being Fulton'd by another player, "You get nothing, good day sir" style.

Then the only reason to do it would be ignorance (that would disappear over time), spite, or genuine self-preservation.

Menthuss

Is there a skill that lets you CQC people that are prone? I've had it happen multiple times where I'm on the ground firing at dudes and suddenly some dude slams or grabs me.

Yeah, I've been in more than one match where its literally like awesome I knocked out this huge bounty. We're going to wi....FUCK.

55556666.png

Ascended my infiltrator, so now it's time to seriously level my enforcer and I just wanted to say that if I'm not getting consistently steam rolled by every infiltrator on the other team that I'm going to have to have words with some of you.

They aren't, most weapons need several bullets even at close range which is hella dumb
Pistols and SMGs take two and they're the weakest weapons so it doesn't go upfrom there, don't be lying to the man.

They should remove points for killing anyone stunned or being Fulton'd by another player, "You get nothing, good day sir" style.

Then the only reason to do it would be ignorance (that would disappear over time), spite, or genuine self-preservation.
I kill loads of stunned people when I know their team is too close to Fulton them, and I know I'm not about to do all this work sneaking around a group of guys to get no points, that'd be dumb. I could get it for guys getting fulton'd but I have a feeling a lot of people would keep doing it anyway to be dicks, at least we get the tickets now. They should just make it so as long as the balloon is attached they don't take damage from your team, as soon as it's popped it open season.

Is there a skill that lets you CQC people that are prone? I've had it happen multiple times where I'm on the ground firing at dudes and suddenly some dude slams or grabs me
You can CQC people who are prone if you are crouching

NeoGiff

As it turns out, it wasn't me imitating Paz that made me lose my voice, it's fucking tonsillitis. Won't be on this for a while :(

Roubjon

I really wish there were more than 2 rounds a game in Cloak&Dagger. And I really would love it if stealth camo just wasn't in the game except for the attackers in c&d.

Pistols and SMGs take two and they're the weakest weapons so it doesn't go upfrom there, don't be lying to the man.
The base assault rifle does not one shot people in the head either. I can't speak for LMGs or lethal shotguns since I don't use those but the only weapon I've seen actually killing people with a single headshot are sniper rifles and I think the UN ARC

Either way, it's not something that should vary accross weapons, a bullet to the head should be a bullet to the head, unless you're sniping or stunning there's no reason not to go for body shots

Alienous

As it turns out, it wasn't me imitating Paz that made me lose my voice, it's fucking tonsillitis. Won't be on this for a while :(

the symptoms may at first resemble those of a typical bacterial infection, such as tonsillitis, but, in truth, the vhocul khhord parasites are turning your lungs into ovens in which they can bake their young

catbrush

I usually try to avoid sprinting, because it tips off your position on the radar. Creep around and stay behind cover as much as possible to remain undetected. Only pop out to shoot people who are close, preferably when their back is turned.

In some games where I'm facing sleep grenade launchers I feel hopelessly outclassed though.

NeoGiff

the symptoms may at first resemble those of a typical bacterial infection, such as tonsillitis, but, in truth, the vhocul khhord parasites are turning your lungs into ovens in which they can bake their young

The wolbachia transcended mediums and infected me from within the game, causing me to be unable to play for a while. My very own phantom pain. It all makes sense now. A genius, that Kojima.

Kei-

What's wrong with that? They'd be pretty pointless otherwise.

The comms log and speaker signs should both stay up for longer, it's quite hard for me to see everything fast enough to understand the situation.

Markers for you and your buddy are a big part of the game though, binoculars will do the same thing, interrogating will do the same thing. You have several strategies to avoid it: sprint away, avoid marker radius, use a box as a marker sheild, leave your box behind with your marker on it.

I think the main problem with e. locators is they mark for entirely too long for such little risk or skill. I tested with a friend, and you stay marked for as long as 10 seconds even when you run away from the pinging location. Comparing it to interrogation or spotting isn't fair since you have to work a lot harder for those, especially interrogations. If they only marked you for 3-5 seconds, i think that would be better. You also get more than 2 if I remember correctly. 2 would be a good number.

Nor sure why there was some discrepancy in the marking period with the e. locators. All I did was sprint away from the location once I saw the "spotted" icon in the top left corner.

So has this game changed since launch?

Any post-honeymoon impressions?

Any balancing issues that are becoming apparent?

Are people tired of the few modes/maps and want more?

Top Bottom