• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

Last of us multilayer is garbage.

If you want a decent stealth MP mode, play splinter cell blacklist.

I love LoU MP. It's so well designed when it comes to emulating the feeling of survival.

Every bullet counts, Fully automatic/Assault Rifles are rarely used, ammo is depleted fast (especially if you dont make every shot count), cover and firefights are common, getting pinned down feels intense and happens naturally, sneaking and sprinting are both viable for their own reasons (and sneaking is more important), healing and finding medkits, reviving and using class roles to craft, heal, and gift... It's all so tightly knit.

Teamwork isn't merely encouraged, it's enforced by having the basic mechanics exist in such a way that they make it necessary. Yet despite some bad teammates, nearly everyone seems to get this and everyone helps out.

Watching MGO, I hate the constant sprinting and was hoping for something slower.

Alienous

I haven't had too much trouble with the sleep 'nade launcher. Maybe because I've had the experience of using it. It's more of an area denial weapon, like the molotov. Get away from the smoke ASAP.

It is annoying, though.

I haven't had too much trouble with the sleep 'nade launcher. Maybe because I've had the experience of using it. It's more of an area denial weapon, like the molotov. Get away from the smoke ASAP.

It is annoying, though.

That works if they fire one. But if you spread out two shots they are pretty much guaranteed to nappy time.

I love LoU MP. It's so well designed when it comes to emulating the feeling of survival.

Every bullet counts, Fully automatic/Assault Rifles are rarely used, ammo is depleted fast (especially if you dont make every shot count), cover and firefights are common, getting pinned down feels intense and happens naturally, sneaking and sprinting are both viable for their own reasons (and sneaking is more important), healing and finding medkits, reviving and using class roles to craft, heal, and gift... It's all so tightly knit.

Teamwork isn't merely encouraged, it's enforced by having the basic mechanics exist in such a way that they make it necessary. Yet despite some bad teammates, nearly everyone seems to get this and everyone helps out.

Watching MGO, I hate the constant sprinting and was hoping for something slower.

Disagree with TLOU, rather than close quarter fire fights from behind cover , people will instead just sprint towards you with spike sticks knowing that once the animation starts you're downed.

Then there are Molotovs flying constantly.

Then there's also being very skilful at getting a down at distance only for them to get revived. Games with revives are appalling for tactical gameplay. Oh shot in the chest 4 times - here have a little bandage and get back up with full mobility.

Then theres the fact there are two main guns in the game, semi auto, then the bow which is deadly and silent and completely unbalanced.

---

With regards to MGO: How do you ACTUALLY know you're marked.

Is it the top left flashing exclamation mark?

KOMANI

KOMANI
Disagree with TLOU, rather than close quarter fire fights from behind cover , people will instead just sprint towards you with spike sticks knowing that once the animation starts you're downed.

Then there are Molotovs flying constantly.

Then there's also being very skilful at getting a down at distance only for them to get revived. Games with revives are appalling for tactical gameplay. Oh shot in the chest 4 times - here have a little bandage and get back up with full mobility.

Then theres the fact there are two main guns in the game, semi auto, then the bow which is deadly and silent and completely unbalanced.

---

With regards to MGO: How do you ACTUALLY know you're marked.

Is it the top left flashing exclamation mark?
That's not true, they nerfed the magnetic one hit stick.

Alienous

Any word on any updates or patches coming soon? I'm thinking I might just take a break and concentrate on TW3's DLC until theres one for the obvious flaws.

The Metal Gear Online twitter is just congratulating people winning fan tournaments and retweeting Konami Europe's twitter account talking about the bumpy MGO launch.

The last thing they tweet was "really enjoyed the full map elocator headshot, impressive" in response to someone, lol.

I can't really play MGO because what little time I have to play games is dedicated to trying to finish MGSV. Of course, if I decide to go back to MGO everyone is going to have powerful weapons and I'm just going to have the shitty starter gear.

It was better when I jumped into MGO2 in December 2008, because not only were pretty much all weapons available to everyone (provided you had enough DP in a match), but I was able to join the noob lobby to familiarize myself with the game. I feel that I'm just going to struggle whenever I play again.

I can't really play MGO because what little time I have to play games is dedicated to trying to finish MGSV. Of course, if I decide to go back to MGO everyone is going to have powerful weapons and I'm just going to have the shitty starter gear.

It was better when I jumped into MGO2 in December 2008, because not only were pretty much all weapons available to everyone (provided you had enough DP in a match), but I was able to join the noob lobby to familiarize myself with the game. I feel that I'm just going to struggle whenever I play again.

Not really true - some of the classes have good presets. Like in (sorry for the comparison!!!) Call Of Duty, where before you unlock all the guns and perks, there are pre made classes.

One of the infiltrator classes for example has a grip and muzzle brake assault rifle which is the best gun in the game.

NuttSack

You can join a noob lobby if you're new, I have reset one of my characters and joined low leveled lobbies.
Why is everyone pretending like MGO 2 was flawless, it was awful when it launched and after a while it became a auto-aim head shot fest.

You can join a noob lobby if you're new, I have reset one of my characters and joined low leveled lobbies.
Why is everyone pretending like MGO 2 was flawless, it was awful when it launched and after a while it became a auto-aim head shot fest.
That was really only an issue for me in survival/tourneys, but casual play was a lot of fun. Although, I played a ton of zombies and that wasn't even an official mode.

Alienous

I've never thought MGO2 was spectacular. But it was different, and unique. MGO3, especially because of its pace, is a very standard shooter affair.

I really wish this had smaller player count game modes. A four on four with no walkers seems like it could be much more "tactical". Especially if you could see where your other three team mates aim just like you can with your "buddy"

Tubie

First Impression:

I'm going to assume this game matchmakes based on level or how new you are or something similar, because today I played my first 2 matches and did amazingly well. First thing I did was get into a walker for shits (mainly because my team ignored them) and went on a 9 kill streak, I ended that match 16-2 and the second round I went 14-4. I assume the game becomes more tactical between higher level players if there's indeed some skill/level matchmaking going on.

It was fun but it was kinda just people yoloing all over the map with no strategy at all. Infiltrators were the best, it's so obvious when they come sprinting at you, I don't think I died to them once, half my kills were probably just me catching them sprinting around.

I wish I had more time to really get into it. It seems like it can be a lot of fun, but there's already so many games out fighting for my attention, and next month its gonna get even worse.

Menthuss

Is the Uragan just shit or are the stats of it borked? Apparently the Geist P3 is better in every aspect when looking at the stats. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone run around with the Uragan online...

The Metal Gear Online twitter is just congratulating people winning fan tournaments and retweeting Konami Europe's twitter account talking about the bumpy MGO launch.

The last thing they tweet was "really enjoyed the full map elocator headshot, impressive" in response to someone, lol.

Urgh... Let's just hope they are working on it behind doors, they can't let it run like this or it'll just die before the start of the holidays.

Maddocks

Is the Uragan just shit or are the stats of it borked? Apparently the Geist P3 is better in every aspect when looking at the stats. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone run around with the Uragan online...

I have, you just need to be extremely close for it to be any good, and if you are that close you might as well just CQC them down or interrogate them.

Look at the answer tweets, they imply that they will actually make changes. My worries right now is that the changes will be too little too late.

Raiden

Banned
Is there a Gaf group or whatever that plays this stuff? Been enjoying this lately and its been a while since an online game grabbed me like this. My username is MalkoBE

Currently been mowing down the competition in Bounty Hunter but i'm pretty sure it will be another game against more skilled competitors.

Also on a side note, i'm really hoping that my next online game wont have a K/D stat because it ruins half the fun for me. I'm way too competitive to simply enjoy something. Its why i only play my enforcer class with an assault rifle. I'm too afraid to mess up my kill/death ratio to have fun with other weapons and classes.

Forgive me if I'm stupid here, but for the life of me my friend and I can't figure out how to end up on the same team. Whether we join in progress or join while it's still in a lobby, it auto balances the teams and we never end up together.

How do I do this?

konjak

Forgive me if I'm stupid here, but for the life of me my friend and I can't figure out how to end up on the same team. Whether we join in progress or join while it's still in a lobby, it auto balances the teams and we never end up together.

How do I do this?

Finish a game and it will then always put you together. Sounds like you had bad luck the times you tried so far.

How do I do this?

Don't join auto matches together.

Join lobbies on the search for games feature*

mf.luder

Anyone care to add me? PSN Cauliflowernia. I like cloak and dagger then bounty hunter and then comm. please have a mic haha

Edit: PS4

Finalow

what

the

actual

fuck.

how am I still unable to play this crap? PLEASE, do fucking tell. It's been literally a week and I still get failed to login to server error. guess I'll try to delete everything and install those 28GB again? Nice, maybe I'm done by next week. /edit: uh, if I delete the whole thing I only need to download&install again the latest patch + MGO, and that obviously didn't fix the problem.

please tell why I keep getting that error and how to fix this, at this point I can't believe it's actually the servers' fault.
^seriously, anyone having a similar problem or any idea how to fix this? :'(

it's just beyond ridiculous that I still can't play this fucking game after trying to log in for a week. my internet connection is fine and works with everything else, if it's really my fault I don't really understand what's wrong.

Feltrol

Banned
I've been getting lag matches all day, besides having horrible luck with teammates.

I'm not having fun - quite the opposite, I must say.

konjak

I really, really, really wish there was a system of not going back to a game you quit from. I got a laggy C&D game and quit, then the game continues to "randomly" throw me back into it six times. I don't want that god damn game, MGO. :p

Meanwhile, 10k GP down the drain on this. There really should be more options. I'd have gone with the beret if I didn't already see everyone with a beret. Glasses are nice, though.
afXygQl.jpg

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
So I finally found the "right" way to play enforcer, and it feels like I'm playing MGO again.

I equipped Weapons+ level 3 and added the Sleep Gas Launcher (don't hate me yet!) to my UN-AAM loadout. It makes me tortoise tier but it works beautifully.

I sprint less, and watch my corners way more, and when I see an Ostrich Infiltrator I just pop a couple Zzquils in their path and mow down the team mates that rush to wake them up. Most of the times I bag a pretty juicy bounty.

I also figured that aiming down the sights , although it makes you feel like your dude is drunk, is way more accurate than over the shoulder. Especially with Weapons level 3 and muzzle brake, grip and dot sight equipped.

No amount of rushing and diving can save you if I'm covering the front with my machine gun.

It's fucking great. Enforcer 4evr baby.

Hatchtag

Banned
-1000 for suicides in C&D fucking sucks. No one intentionally does it aside from assholes. Why encourage assholes to be assholes and punish the rest of the team for it? Nothing ruins a match more than being down 2000 points at the end of the first round because of suicides. Like why even try if the game's already severely punished you for something someone else did?

Mature

So I finally found the "right" way to play enforcer, and it feels like I'm playing MGO again.

I equipped Weapons+ level 3 and added the Sleep Gas Launcher (don't hate me yet!) to my UN-AAM loadout. It makes me tortoise tier but it works beautifully.

I sprint less, and watch my corners way more, and when I see an Ostrich Infiltrator I just pop a couple Zzquils in their path and mow down the team mates that rush to wake them up. Most of the times I bag a pretty juicy bounty.

I also figured that aiming down the sights , although it makes you feel like your dude is drunk, is way more accurate than over the shoulder. Especially with Weapons level 3 and muzzle brake, grip and dot sight equipped.

No amount of rushing and diving can save you if I'm covering the front with my machine gun.

Exactly my loadout. It's great.

Raiku

Enforcer high five 👋 👋

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
^what are you talking about?

An increasing number of people are using some glitch to get outside the map but they can still take action. You'll know it when you throw an E. Locator and for some reason someone far outside the map gets marked. They can still take actions like marking you or shooting you but they can't be killed.

If you see a Walker Gear sliding around awkwardly with no one riding it, someone is doing it.

Warewolf

I thought I saw people saying more gear unlocked as you levelled up.

Is that not true? I just hit 20 and I can't find anything but the ascension gear or the silly stuff online, is it really just what you're immediately given access to? I'm really bummed out now. I locked my infiltrators look down by like level 5.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Hmm I saw that happen in the first few days, I'm, not sure that's always someone cheating.

Really? I've seen the Walker Gear thing like 3 times today and someone was doing it each time lol. Maybe someone else can cause that then.

I thought I saw people saying more gear unlocked as you levelled up.

Is that not true? I just hit 20 and I can't find anything but the ascension gear or the silly stuff online, is it really just what you're immediately given access to? I'm really bummed out now. I locked my infiltrators look down by like level 5.

Maybe they meant "gear" in a general sense and not specifically the outfit "Gear"

Top Bottom