• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Online 3 |OT| The Missing Link

konjak

Ok there comes a point where you realise the game is little more than turning around and seeing invisible person sprinting at you and CQC you.

At which point I abandon match as I'd rather do that than reward such annoying boring tactics.

I had a bounty of 18 on me and an invisible player sprinted towards me from a corner and CQC'd.

I then quit as he was readying his Fulton. I'm sure he's absolutely raging.

Love it.

What game do you think you're playing, honestly?

EDIT: Sorry for two posts

I've been experimenting with the cardboard box. I'd say it's more useful for combat than getting rid of marks.

It takes two cardboard box dives to knock someone out. As far as I can see you can't be CQC'd while cardboard box diving, it outright beats it.

Box dive works on Walkers as well. Two hits will knock out the pilot and it seems to be hard for Walkers to get a bead on you from all the sliding.

You can cancel the box dive early and do whatever afterwards (CQC, shooting, etc).

Sometimes I run around with the box on and just dive the first person I see. This is also the only way to take out groups of people with CQC since if you just do a normal throw the other people will kill you. But if you aim your dives right you can take out multiple people as long as you hit each one twice.

They have to tone down the assault rifle accuracy. It's as accurate as a sniper rifle without the sway.
Yeah with the grip and lethal aim you can full auto across the map. Should have to burst fire.

The more I play comm link and cloak and dagger the more I think it's just bounty hunter that it broken. Because you can win tickets back it encourages the whole practice of sprint cloak CQC as the only real tactic. Little exciting tactical gunplay

I don't know if I'm going to stick to my plan to level Enforcer and Scout since I ascended my Infiltrator. I have them both at like 15ish and I'm just not sure if I can get behind them. I do fine with them both, I demolish people with the Enforcer and even though I'm kind of a shitty sniper I manage like top three most games with Scout. They're kind of boring in comparison to Infiltrator imo.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I just don't think I can bring myself to keep playing though. I loved socom, and missed playing 3rd person shooters. I had hopes for MGO. Last night I finally finished mgs5, which I wanted to do before playing MGO. Awful imbalance like the infiltrator who gets an heavy assault machine gun when there about stealth.
Personal preference, yes I know it doesn't effect anything. Anyway I ended playing about 5 games over various modes. 3 out of 5 games I continually saw people knock people out, and then the whole team comes and kicks/teabags them until they woke up, then did it again. WTF. Seriously? I can't believe this is even a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nySO5FVKA_4

NeoGiff

I just don't think I can bring myself to keep playing though. I loved socom, and missed playing 3rd person shooters. I had hopes for MGO. Last night I finally finished mgs5, which I wanted to do before playing MGO. Awful imbalance like the infiltrator who gets an heavy assault machine gun when there about stealth.
Personal preference, yes I know it doesn't effect anything. Anyway I ended playing about 5 games over various modes. 3 out of 5 games I continually saw people knock people out, and then the whole team comes and kicks/teabags them until they woke up, then did it again. WTF. Seriously? I can't believe this is even a thing.

Not to be a dick, but a lot of what I saw in that video seemed to be you being slow and unaware of what was going on, and not adapting to the situation. Granted, coming straight from the pace of singleplayer to this is a jareibg experience.

Demoskinos

I don't know if I'm going to stick to my plan to level Enforcer and Scout since I ascended my Infiltrator. I have them both at like 15ish and I'm just not sure if I can get behind them. I do fine with them both, I demolish people with the Enforcer and even though I'm kind of a shitty sniper I manage like top three most games with Scout. They're kind of boring in comparison to Infiltrator imo.

I like mixing it up every few matches. Usually depends on what mode/map it is. Infiltrator is the most unique though.

My man, you look completely shitfaced it this video.

Demoskinos

How are some people Ascension 2 already when I'm only 30 with the exp boost. Seems impossible
Most likely joining private games and level boosting. If you just sat there and racked up thousands of points by having someone let you stun them you could just fly through the ranks.

Scout Optics 3 eliminates the imbalance of the stealth camo. I've been coming up 15, 20, 25 kills each round in Bounty Hunter with limited deaths. But I think this is then rebalanced by those god damn stun grenades. I hate them.

Still, that's me running and gunning, which is what I find the least fun. Sniping is the most satisfactory way to kill, but the sway is just too much.

arimanius

Scout Optics 3 eliminates the imbalance of the stealth camo. I've been coming up 15, 20, 25 kills each round in Bounty Hunter with limited deaths. But I think this is then rebalanced by those god damn stun grenades. I hate them.

Still, that's me running and gunning, which is what I find the least fun. Sniping is the most satisfactory way to kill, but the sway is just too much.

I got my scout to 23 but leveling my infiltrator now. Love sniping as well but just not worth it right now.

Edit: maybe not. Not finding the stealth camo fun.

yeah i've found that class descriptions a little backward. i feel like infs are a better entry level class because of the sort of front-loaded (on the leveling scale) utility nature of camo and the lower margin of error with some of their weapons/cqc. where as a scout, really comes into its own a lot later once you get the top upgrades and also because their aiming has more margin of error. i like the balance so far though in casual daily play.

Demoskinos

yeah i've found that class descriptions a little backward. i feel like infs are a better entry level class because of the sort of front-loaded (on the leveling scale) utility nature of camo and the lower margin of error with some of their weapons/cqc. where as a scout, really comes into its own a lot later once you get the top upgrades and also because their aiming has more margin of error. i like the balance so far though in casual daily play.

Eh.... I would actually say it goes Enforcer > Scout > Infiltrator mostly because its easy to be real bad at using the stealth camo. It is hardly a win button. Enforcer is pretty straight forward. Get your gun and shoot things. Scouts are mostly the same but they are specialized for long range combat and are fairly ineffective at close range and pretty slow.

Infiltrators have a lot of great tools but you also have to make a lot of trade offs with them. You really want and need to be as light as possible for maximum speed so you really have to pick and choose your load out.

...oh you was def smoking weed during this.

pass that shit, bruh!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Does anyone know where to get an MP3 of the guitar version of the victory song that plays when you're match MVP?

Mature

Cloak and Dagger, otherwise known as "everyone is invisible".
BSuZsLt.jpg

Icefire1424

Not to be a dick, but a lot of what I saw in that video seemed to be you being slow and unaware of what was going on, and not adapting to the situation. Granted, coming straight from the pace of singleplayer to this is a jareibg experience.

This is a pretty accurate assessment. In a game like MGO, situational awareness is paramount, especially as there are cloaked Infiltrators around and teamwork is more often than not non-existent. Giff is correct - in many cases you were unaware of your surroundings, and your enemy took advantage of that by engaging you when you were at your weakest. From watching the video, you desperately need to do a better job of using cover - many of the times you were killed were right out in the open, where you could be engaged from any angle. In a firefight you need to keep crouched, and keep cover between you and threats. Even if you're not sure where the enemy is, staying behind cover limits their options, and the angles from which they can shoot at you from.

Finally, use and support your teammates. A lot of the time you went off to do your own thing, where sticking close to a teammate would have significantly improved your (and his) chances for survival. It works.

wilsonda

I have a confession to make... if an enemy stuns me and a teamate stuns them back, I will sometimes steal the kill (not during bounty hunter). My thirst for revenge can never be quenched

On another note.. Fulton cannons really make cloak and dagger a bit more even for the attackers.. lay them in good spots near chokepoints or your spawn and the enemy team will normally wander right into them.. or you can set traps by sprinting to show up on radar

Reule

I recently made my Scout but thinking of remaking her because her nose is off-putting. I've tried to deal with it but if I'm going to sink time into her then she better be what I want.

Thing is, I bought her about 3-5K worth of GP already even though she's only level 6. I understand I won't retain any of her unlocks thus far but do the cosmetic stuff exclusive for Scout remain? I only ask if it remembers me purchasing it for the account rather than just be specific to a character.

By the way, getting really annoyed with the glitch where if a host disconnects too quickly after or during a match, some of your equipment is unequipped. Friend of mine told me that even his load outs that he named revert back to their default names when this happens.

Demoskinos

I recently made my Scout but thinking of remaking her because her nose is off-putting. I've tried to deal with it but if I'm going to sink time into her then she better be what I want.

Thing is, I bought her about 3-5K worth of GP already even though she's only level 6. I understand I won't retain any of her unlocks thus far but do the cosmetic stuff exclusive for Scout remain? I only ask if it remembers me purchasing it for the account rather than just be specific to a character.

By the way, getting really annoyed with the glitch where if a host disconnects too quickly after or during a match, some of your equipment is unequipped. Friend of mine told me that even his load outs that he named revert back to their default names when this happens.

You'll keep all cosmetic gear you unlocked or at least you should. So i'd say go for it especially if you are early on.

Leunam

I seemingly can not come to grips with the sniper rifles. Even at sniper level 3 it feels like there is too much sway and they feel very underpowered for anything but a headshot. I manage to get kills often enough but even when I think I'm on a roll it's still not as fun as the other two classes. Still, I'm determined to keep practicing with it, but getting nothing but Rush maps can really stifle my enjoyment of the class.

I seemingly can not come to grips with the sniper rifles. Even at sniper level 3 it feels like there is too much sway and they feel very underpowered for anything but a headshot. I manage to get kills often enough but even when I think I'm on a roll it's still not as fun as the other two classes. Still, I'm determined to keep practicing with it, but getting nothing but Rush maps can really stifle my enjoyment of the class.

I hear you can reduce the sway by attaching an underbarrel thing to the sniper.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Just had to pop in and say that I got absolutely wrecked by a gang of try hard on comm control.

We could not hold onto a base for more than 5 seconds. They spammed stuns, had a guy with an RGL and had D walkers and mortars on lockdown.

Absolute gang bang wreckage.

Ass beating so raw that their names are burnt at the back of my skull:

LSP-X
ButteredBalls
REN-1212
BadassOnlineName

Mofuckers gave me MGO2 PTSD. Dayim.

Is there a decent wiki or guide anywhere for customizing Loadouts?

Specifically, I'd like to know some of the details about abilities that just aren't explained. For instance, the Sniper ability... does this reduce recoil for assault rifles being shot over-the-shoulder?

The Scout build I'm going for, which usually keeps me consistently in the top on points alone, is light-weight (and thus, FAST) and packing as many E-locators as possible. Pop those in key places and you get points for marking and points for assisting. I really only shoot when I think I'm safe to, or there's no teammate around to do the killing for me.

Top Bottom