• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

RangerBAD

You can't dodge cancel it on the first few frames unfortunately

which is really a pain in the ass vs Armstrong

I can do his first phase pretty consistently, but I'm thoroughly convinced his second is extremely random and luck based.

Found a pretty good method of dealing with his second form after 200 or so retries. But it is dependent on him doing certain moves and this was on Hard.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Found a pretty good method of dealing with his second form after 200 or so retries. But it is dependent on him doing certain moves and this was on Hard.

If it's not a method to get him to use those moves it's about as useless as every other strategy

pretty much the whole fight is dodge rolling his punch and throw spam until he uses one of those bigger charge up moves giving you room to punish with one of Sam's charge moves.

but those are so few and far between that chances are you won't even have him enraged, so you end up squandering your damage opportunity on taunting(cool mechanic....)

Fight is so luck based. I'm sure Ninja Gaiden fans can enjoy this kind of encounter but to be it's not fun at all.

TP

pretty much the whole fight is dodge rolling his punch and throw spam until he uses one of those bigger charge up moves giving you room to punish with one of Sam's charge moves.

but those are so few and far between that chances are you won't even have him enraged, so you end up squandering your damage opportunity on taunting(cool mechanic....)

Fight is so luck based. I'm sure Ninja Gaiden fans can enjoy this kind of encounter but to be it's not fun at all.

luck based? I don't think so, at least not on Hard
He definitely attacks way too often for you to use a charge move when he's taunted so I only used those after his aoe attack.

My strategy was to taunt and use the square, square, triangle combo then react to his attacks with a dodge. Sometimes I only had time for square, square.

when he tries to grab I square or squarex2 if I have the time and dodge sideways

when the
helicopters are thrown at you at the halfway point I destroyed the three in the center and dodged forward to avoid the flame trail from the others

The battle flows like this, if the boss is in my face I attack and doge nonstop as I would with Raiden. If the boss is away from me I go to the center of the stage to taunt and wait for the boss to come to me.

It's difficult but not impossible, broken, or luck based
at least on Hard, i'm working my way up there on Revengeance right now

katkombat

Banned
I liked the DLC a lot. I beat it yesterday with a final time of 1 hr. 13 mins., which, if it counts away from controller time, would be more around 30 minutes.

Eusis

What happened to $6.99?
Was that the originally stated price? Sounds more appropriate here, so if that got upped that's disappointing.

I really do hate how the value of DLC seems to have been completely skewed thanks to Microsoft's stances earlier on. I don't mind a resonable chunk of content at $10, but it seems to me like a lot of stuff that'd make sense at $5 instead costs $7 minimum and as such goes from "I'd buy this sooner than later" to "I'm just not bothering until a sale comes."

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
it's luck based as far as what moves he gives you

but yeah if you can dodge roll out of the way of his grab and punch forever with zero errors the fight is easy

but with how inconsistent rising's camera and controls are and that punch just getting stuck on walls at times I don't think that's a likely situation for most people.

Your best bet is getting big moves and punishing with charge moves, which is luck based. Sometimes he'll just stand there for 10 seconds or give you alot of AOE explostons in a row, sometimes he'll do nothing but grab cancels and dash punches for 3 minutes straight. I couldn't for the life of me make any logic out of what moves he gives you (At least in the second half. I have a method to bait his delay rupture punch in his first half which lets me get 3 full charge moves on him off the bat)

TP

it's luck based as far as what moves he gives you

but yeah if you can dodge roll out of the way of his grab and punch forever with zero errors the fight is easy

but with how inconsistent rising's camera and controls are and that punch just getting stuck on walls at times I don't think that's a likely situation for most people.

Your best bet is getting big moves and punishing with charge moves, which is luck based. (At least in the second half. I have a method to bait his delay rupture punch in his first half which lets me get 3 full charge moves on him off the bat)

You're right, the boss doesn't use the same attack pattern every time so in that sense it is luck based. But so is every other encounter.

If you're having trouble with the camera you should use hard lock on and occasionally the right stick. It keeps the camera working for you instead of against you. With it the camera rarely gives me any trouble.

I wouldn't call the wait/bait and punish with charge moves strategy the best because the fight is as you say luck based and the player would likely be annoyed/angry after taking damage or losing. The fight seems longer when you're waiting for something to happen.

You should give my strategy a try. It's definitely riskier than bait and punish but it improves reaction times and dodge skills. It'll help you step your game up.

It also looks really cool

I hate it when you're in the corner and the boss uses his Falcon Punch move. Even if you dodge he immediately loops around behind your back and punches your teeth down your throat.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You're right, the boss doesn't use the same attack pattern every time so in that sense it is luck based. But so is every other encounter.

This might mean more to someone who was a fan of Rising's other encounters lol

but even in those that only affected clear times. Here Armstrong and Bladewolf attack in such frequency that it prevents you from mounting any satisfying offense.

Weird as hell to give Sam all these unique offensive options and then design encounters around his dodge roll.....

Also I hate that it's still two buttons. That made sense for "offensive defense" to be the attack and jump button, but not Sam's since there' no offensive aspect. All it does now is make me parry occasionally when I try to roll forward through moves.

You should give my strategy a try. It's definitely riskier than bait and punish but it improves reaction times and dodge skills. It'll help you step your game up.

What? Hitting him with lights inbetween the grab moves? That's already what I'm doing.

It just takes forever since you have to wait for him to do a dash punch to get taunt back on. and sometimes he ends it earlier than you expected so you don't have time if you weren't ready to react to it.

TP

Bladewolf attack in such frequency that it prevents you from mounting any satisfying offense.

That's the one fight in the chapter I still have no control over. It's amazing how fast he attacks, for a while I actually wondered if he even had a neutral animation.

so crazy

What? Hitting him with lights inbetween the grab moves? That's already what I'm doing.

It just takes forever since you have to wait for him to do a dash punch to get taunt back on. and sometimes he ends it earlier than you expected so you don't have time if you weren't ready to react to it.

I meant attack and dodge (almost) nonstop when he's in your face. You can use the taunt when he runs too far with a grab or when he does on of his various flame pillar attacks or falcon punch. When he moves away you should head to the center of the stage, it's the easiest place to dodge his falcon punch.

Ideally you should only be waiting for him after he has moved away and you've taunted. At that point he'll rush you and you continue your (almost) non stop offense.

And speaking of luck and randomness
the geckos new move

why

It used to be you could easily bait a charge and trigger the execution but now they jump halfway through the charge most of the time. Pinning them against walls doesn't work as well anymore either. They dodge my perfect parries with a backdash and use the charge attack to jump behind me.

My only strategy so far is to cheese them with air charge attacks

RangerBAD

I hit him with Quick Draws. And, yeah, the Gekko Customs are assholes. That fucking one in the small room will never charge you!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll never be able to do that. :( Fucking Platinum and their hyper AI.

RangerBAD

I'll never be able to do that. :( Fucking Platinum and their hyper AI.

I ended up having to use both thumbs to make sure I dodged. So I never moved the analog stick and I was always going back. I got further that way than using one thumb for both buttons. I would pause when he did a charge move I needed to run from and change my hand position. I had to use that method to ensure dodges on the second phase of Armstrong on Raiden (where you can only dodge).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't even dodge that flaming fist attack. I dodge the first charge, but eat the second charge. EVERY. TIME.

RangerBAD

I can't even dodge that flaming fist attack. I dodge the first charge, but eat the second charge. EVERY. TIME.

I don't know what to tell you there. I only had problems when he glitches and keeps circling around you in his Buster Wolf state. You ever notice that his attacks are Terry Bogard-esque?

tumblr_lk7maaQhpX1qixr1so1_400.gif

terry20geyser.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Welp

after trying for about an hour to no damage him on hard I said fuck it and decided to knock out my Revengeance run.

lyuwd8v.png

XazlxFG.png

....I No Damaged him on Revengeance

like...without even trying to. I didn't even notice until I saw the bonus on the results

H2ekawa.gif

I was laughing like a crazy villain right there with Sam and Armstrong during that last cut scene.

Final Time: 21:45.31

Glad that is over

I told you it was all luck, lol

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's the one fight in the chapter I still have no control over. It's amazing how fast he attacks, for a while I actually wondered if he even had a neutral animation.

so crazy

Yeah I just try my best to block and wait for the dash attacks so I can counter parry. At least on Revengeance where they do 20% a pop.

on Easy, Normal and Hard I just taunt and go ham because fuck playing this game for ranks

And speaking of luck and randomness
the geckos new move

why

It used to be you could easily bait a charge and trigger the execution but now they jump halfway through the charge most of the time.

I swear to god enemies read inputs or some shit

Like if you try to catch the gekkos with a block they'll do the jump. They only commit to the charge if you wait until the last second to stop them I believe.

I swear some of Armstrong's moves are like that too. Like if you roll early for his dash he'll cancel into the grab but if you just stay there and try to block or taunt he'll kick you.

but yeah gekkos are super annoying in this DLC because you can't take them out as easily. The most annoying room on Revengeance for me was the one with 3 gekkos.(which coincidentally takes place in the same spot as the most annoying room in the main game on Revengeance.)

Good thing I had grenades stockpiled from previous playthroughs!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I just lure them together, taunt, toss RP grenade and do L,L,H(charge) to hit them all.

throw another one and repeat if you can't cut any limbs. You can do two per grenade and they should die after 4 or atleast be all blue.

Revven

I finished my first playthrough of this on Normal; didn't die once. Kinda crazy considering all the stuff I heard about the last boss for this DLC. Then again, I think I lucked out because I had all 5 nanopastes for the fight ahead of time and had a decent grasp on Sam by that point. I was considering playing on Hard but I decided against it because I wanted to explore Sam's moveset and get used to it; which in general you don't have as much time to get intimate with it like you do with Raiden's moveset.

Sam feels really fun to play. I honestly wish we could play him in the normal story mode, even if the cutscenes would show Raiden instead. I want to play as him for longer, but alas it seems it was really just made for this story given the lack of a bigger move pool (Raiden has more moves overall, even without the unique weapons).

I like his movement and feel, especially the satisfaction in getting off the charge moves. But the boss fights (except
Ray
) were increasingly annoying because of how they would just dodge you like crazy. I mean, I didn't die to any of them but still they weren't as fun to fight as they were in the main game.

What does taunting do to
Bladewolf
? Does it make him easier to hit at all? Or does he just go faster making it even harder to put up an offense on him?

Overall though I enjoyed it and plan to replay it to get the rest of the upgrades, data storages, and maybe try the VR missions (but from what I've read I might want to just avoid them lol).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Taunts just increase Sam's damage. When enemies are taunted Sam takes damage when he parries and can't perfect parry.

They also do more damage and are more aggressive while in enraged as well. I'm not sure it affects bosses patterns though.

Taunting isn't very good vs Bladewolf to me. He attacks too frequently for you to really capitalize on the damage boost. Instead you just take more from him.

I even played around with it by waiting until after perfect parries to taunt as he's stunned for a bit and lets you get in some hits, but all that does is cause him to recover from the stun state.

On revengeance perfect parries are the way to take him out. On lower difficulties you don't really need the damage boost to kill him.

No idea what the strategy would be on very hard. Not gonna attempt to find out either lol

Overall though I enjoyed it and plan to replay it to get the rest of the upgrades, data storages, and maybe try the VR missions (but from what I've read I might want to just avoid them lol).

The VR missions aren't that bad on this.

and some are tied to Endurance upgrades so you have to complete a few of them.

RangerBAD

With Bladewolf it was Perfect Parry -> toward, toward heavy (the attack where he drags his sword as he sprints forward) which tosses Bladewolf up -> Quick Draw charge and if he staggers Quick Draw charge. Repeat. You have to start inputting toward, toward heavy during the tail end of the perfect parry. Worked for me on Hard and Revengeance.

demidar

Finished it yesterday then went straight to bed. My thoughts:

-Love the cutscenes, especially with the cops.
-The camera is not good enough to follow LQ-48i. The fast movement and cramped spaces bring out the worst in the camera.
-Love how aggressive the enemies are, this DLC really is hard mode.
-The taunt mechanic is pretty fucking great.
-Parry linger time is a lot shorter which is a good thing.
-Shorter dodge recovery is necessary to deal with taunted enemies since they deal chip damage through block so good design decision.
-Charging up attacks could stand to be a bit faster, like .15 seconds faster.
-Sam needs a lot more moves.
-Double jump and air dash gives some nice air maneuverability.
-Fuck those water striders.

Wish I could play him in the base game.

popyea

and maybe try the VR missions (but from what I've read I might want to just avoid them lol).

I really liked the VR missions. Got more enjoyment out of them than the normal ones. Even the really tough one is fun. Plus they let you keep whatever nanopastes you have on you, so you can give yourself an advantage by saving up for them.

Clicking in the left stick sheaths and unsheaths your sword. I love it.

That's really cool. Would love to be able to shoot it out too.

Hypron

I got the two hard achievements yesterday (no damage
Armstrong
on hard and finish the DLC on revengeance in less than an hour), and I really enjoyed the challenge. No-damaging
Armstrong
is hard (his DLC incarnation is by far the hardest boss in the game to no-damage), as he's just relentless. Even when he's not taunted he just spams his attacks like a motherfucker. At first I hated that, and I thought it was cheap, but after I got a hang of it, I really like the fight. It really keeps you on edge.

My only complaint about the fight is how random it can be. Depending on what kind of attacks he uses it can become almost impossible to no-damage him (sometimes his super sliding punch attack get stuck on walls, screwing your timing, or sometimes he just goes nuts and starts spinning around you like crazy, so fast the camera can't even track him). Other than that, it's great.

Some encounters in the DLC can be quite frustrating though. The sliders are a pain in the arse, and so are the longsword wielding cyborgs. They are so much more aggressive than in the base game that it's very hard to not get hit when fighting more than 1 of them at the same time.

Duffyside

Banned
Any good youtube vids out yet that showcase what makes this worth $10? Want to support Platinum, but this looks more to me like a weapon DLC, which is worth... $2? $3? $5 tops.

demidar

Any good youtube vids out yet that showcase what makes this worth $10? Want to support Platinum, but this looks more to me like a weapon DLC, which is worth... $2? $3? $5 tops.

Dunno about any vids but if you have doubts I advise you you don't get it. I know I would like it, enough to pay $15 for it because I just love the mechanics.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Sam sometimes bursting red in that long combo at the end? It happens to me as well and I can't figure out what it means or what causes it.

His meter is just filling up. Raiden flashes blue when his meter fills up to the point where he can slow down time in blade mode, Sam flashes red.

It happens so often because he only has one bar so any activation will take him into yellow, and after a few taps he's back at full so he flashes red.

Also, anybody got a list of the health upgrades? I'm missing 2.

Check the description for time stamps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Jc-Rsfq4w

You're probably missing the one on top of the pagoda. You have to cut the slider that drops off the sword guy. It doesn't actually engage you in combat and will just fly away after dropping him off so it's the only one you can really miss.

demidar

Man, Revengeance is 3x harder than the base game's Revengeance. The camera is utterly terrible, and sometimes the final boss's move spazzes out like crazy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Man, Revengeance is 3x harder than the base game's Revengeance. The camera is utterly terrible, and sometimes the final boss's move spazzes out like crazy.

I still haven't beaten him... on normal! Cannot keep up with him during his final stage. Makes me feel damn old.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
lol

I think if you can line yourself up with a corner perfectly when armstrong does dash punch you can get him stuck in it

having trouble reproducing it though

demidar

I still haven't beaten him... on normal! Cannot keep up with him during his final stage. Makes me feel damn old.

You think you're taking lots of damage? On Revengeance each hit deals an entire health bar of damage, you can only take as many hits as you have nanopastes for.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You think you're taking lots of damage? On Revengeance each hit deals an entire health bar of damage, you can only take as many hits as you have nanopastes for.

Ohdeargod... that sounds hideous. I need to man up!

The nanopastes on the level don't seem to have much effect on my health. Am I being retarded, or...?

lol

I think if you can line yourself up with a corner perfectly when armstrong does dash punch you can get him stuck in it

having trouble reproducing it though

Now that's interesting, I shall have to give that a shot. It's his flame dash on the third phase; I can dodge the first one but he catches me on the follow up EVERY DAMN TIME!

demidar

Finally got all the trophies, Armstrong was an abhorrent boss to No Damage. Main reason why is there's so many ways the dice roll will screw you. If his Buster Wolf spazzed out it's a guaranteed hit. With how relentless he is, and with how little damage you do without taunt up, there is very little chance to deal large amounts of damage, just slowly chipping away each time he tries to grab or shotgun kick you. But if he does an uppercut or a double punch it's a guaranteed hit because you have to anticipate the dodges/kicks and the uppercut/double punches are delayed just long enough to hit you coming out of invulnerability. Too much luck, not enough skill. You might get lucky and he does the nova which leaves him open but even then that's only 12% damage with a charged Quick Draw and taunt active.

Gbraga

Ah, cheers. Forgive me for being dense, but why is it called swag? Is that something to do with swagger?

Yes, it comes from swagger, but here on GAF you'll mostly see it used as a joke, Jaha made it pretty popular in the FGC, it's not meant to be serious (at least I like to think that people don't take it seriously)

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, it comes from swagger, but here on GAF you'll mostly see it used as a joke, Jaha made it pretty popular in the FGC, it's not meant to be serious (at least I like to think that people don't take it seriously)

Ah, thanks very much for clearing that up, chief.

Top Bottom