• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising Jetstream DLC |OT| Show Me A Good Time, Platinum

So, will there be a Revengeance 2 with Sam
somehow surviving his battle with Raiden
teaming up with Raiden and Sunny to help her get revenge
ance
on... somebody and it be like a futuristic cyborg Samurai Champloo?

I would be 100% okay with this.

I am awful at sam, the taunt thing was a cool idea, but just ended up killing me most of the time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Raiden got his sword from Snake, right?

Did Snake have to hide it up his rectum for two years in order to get it to him?

Snake got the sword from Olga who got the sword from... something, I dunno. The sword isn't actively explained (and just signals the second half after the big twist of MGS2 wasn't actually thought out too well) in game as well as that bit ties back to the main game here.

I would be 100% okay with this.

I am awful at sam, the taunt thing was a cool idea, but just ended up killing me most of the time.

Once people unlock the tech that is the charge move and when/where to use it, I think taunting/ripper-mode-for-a-limited-time will follow. It's pretty much a key part of beating
Armstrong
with decent damage.

Sam's problems are:

The charge move not being able to have "mini-charges" it has to fully charge to do that move and you can't exactly cancel it into an offensive move. You have to dodge and screw up your offense if you use it.

Damage is pretty weak and lop-sides the difficulty a little

Hit-tracking for some moves is fucked up (in-air charge, WHY) in cases where it shouldn't fuck up (I'm locked onto a ground target. Why the fuck wouldn't Sam ground-pound the target outside of it being unbalanced and Platinum didn't think of making moves to counter the in-air charge move outside of
Armstrong's
gaining in-air counters).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Dodge cancel.

You can't dodge cancel it on the first few frames unfortunately

which is really a pain in the ass vs Armstrong

I can do his first phase pretty consistently, but I'm thoroughly convinced his second is extremely random and luck based.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not that good at the game yet :(

Does anyone know when the White Raiden DLC or Blade Wolf will be out?

Blade Wolf in May I think

and they're not going to announce putting the preorder stuff on the store, so I don't think anyone is ever going to know that. Ask a CM on Konami's US twitter or something

Veelk

Banned
Snake got the sword from Olga who got the sword from... something, I dunno. The sword isn't actively explained (and just signals the second half after the big twist of MGS2 wasn't actually thought out too well) in game as well as that bit ties back to the main game here.

She got it and the rest of her ninja gear from the patriots, who are forcing her to play the role of Cyborg Ninja as part of the S3 plan.

zainetor

Banned
Not saying I agree with this guy since clearly he has no idea what he's talking about, but what's wrong with that? DmC's a pretty fine game in its own right.

dmc is a cakewalk compared to this. That guy whined about rising beeing hard and parry/block beeing too hard to master. Cmn Really?

by the way, a game which is a step back in terms of gameplay, when compared to his previous installments, it's worthless for me.

Just realised you get some of the health upgrades on harder modes. Sucks that I have to go through sequentially to do Revengeance though. Didn't exactly want to do a naked Revengeance run.

popyea

Played for a couple of hours today and loved it. Didn't finish it, though I'm probably pretty close. I spent ages trying to beat VR mission 4.

Things I liked:

- Sam's dodge is godly! The lack of recovery on it makes it a great way to create space, which suits his charging attacks nicely.

-The double jumping and air dashing is so much more fun than ninja jumping. Love the platforming that leads to secrets.

- You can charge your blade swipes in blademode! Accidentally figured this out while frustratedly free cutting an enemy in real-time. Now I time my zandatsu cuts with one charged slice, just for fun.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I thought I parried an enemy's attack by letting go of the charged attack at the moment you would normally parry. It may have just staggered them or something though. Anyone able to confirm?

Overall I found the dlc to be an incredible twist on the game's mechanics. Definitley worth it if you're mostly interested in the gameplay. Well, the price is probably still a little steep, but it's certainly not a lazy cash-in. You can tell a lot of thought has been put into it.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
- You can charge your blade swipes in blademode! Accidentally figured this out while frustratedly free cutting an enemy in real-time. Now I time my zandatsu cuts with one charged slice, just for fun.

How do you do that? Sounds awesome.

What are the good ones? They all seem like crap and the tracking is awful

I am no expert by any means, and I doubt I'll convince you they're any good, man.

I guess how useful each move is depends on the situation. Off the top of my head you have the normal QD, light then heavy does a juggle QD, two light then heavy does a horizontal crowd control QD... there's a projectile QD which is pretty neat. One more I can't remember. There is also the cutscene-o-riffic 'forward + forward + heavy' which has Sam dragging his sparking sword across the ground into another sweet juggle move. I reckon there is a fair bit of variety in there.

His combos do lack the 'rhythm and pause' based combos of Raiden, certainly.

demidar

Urrrrgh I want to play this game so bad but I have to finish Uni work.

...well maybe I can skimp on some thoroughness.

NEO0MJ

Alright, who thought it was a good idea to
give Armstrong the ability to fly? I used to jump over him to dodge some attacks with Raiden but it doesn't help here.

NEO0MJ

Were there any new enemies in this? I can't remember if the big guys with the hammers were in the base game.

No new enemies at all. I thought we were getting some interesting new stuff when I saw the 2 GB download size (I didn't look anything online before I bought it to avoid spoilers) but I guess it was all cut-scenes.

Endo Punk

You feel a lot more in control with Sam. If people thought Raiden was hard to play with then Sam is going to be a real pain. Now that it has clicked I really love his play-style and platforming, also charge attacks are so satisfying. Using it effectively makes
the Senator
a cake walk which I wasn't doing on my first playthrough.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I... can't... do this... Sam. This VR mission. Hammer guy and flunkies with shields, 3 gorillas, 2 spinnin spiders, sliders and helicopter, gekko and wolfs, 2 raptors, and THEN A GRAD? NO. THERE ISNT EVEN A TROPHY FOR THIS.

DLC is amazing. Super fast enraged bosses, Sam's movesets. Heaven.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, who thought it was a good idea to
give Armstrong the ability to fly? I used to jump over him to dodge some attacks with Raiden but it doesn't help here.

I don't think it was a bad decision, given Sam's better air maneuverability.

The worst part is the frequency in which he attacks. on higher difficulties he's more likely to spam the dash bunch which is unblockable and random as hell, and he can cancel everything he does into his grab move. So sometimes he's vulnerable after a move allowing Sam to get a charge move off, sometimes he has a grab waiting for him.

Like everything else in Rising it's not a hard fight unless you're trying to No Damage him or something, at which point it jumps from easy to mind blowingly difficult simply because of how random his patterns(or lack thereof) are.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sam's quick draw Zandatsu is really really fucking fun.

You can actually aim it long range. when you're charging it in blade mode, squares for enemies outside of your sword's range will show up and you can snipe them from a distance, causing Sam to dash towards them while in blade mode, cut them in half and giving you the prompt to take their core.

I hope these count towards the 100 Quick Draw kills because I've been killing everything with it. So satisfying. Completely refreshed the novelty of the mechanic for me.

Just did VR mission 4 again on my collectable run and just straight up cleaved the Grad in two with Sam's quick draw Zandatsu during the execution. Fuck cutting the shield and the body like Raiden, Sam just cut the thing in half at the first part

So. Damn. Good.

This DLC is fucking shit.

I'm not gonna complain about the price, I'll happily support P* with all of my resources.

It's just that it was way too short. The cutscenes were great but there wasn't enough of that imo. I guess it makes sense to reuse the same level design and modify it a bit however they could have done some levels before the sewers. It'd introduce some new level design and more gameplay time. I would just cringe a bit seeing that elevator again. It reminded me of the ugliest/worst part in MGR. You know, they could have even done something like Sam's perspective during Raiden's story. All of that after
Sam gets the job from armstrong.

Endo Punk

Dear fucking God @_@ No Damage fight was harder than Revengeance mode with Raiden. I will have nightmares of
Armstrong's
second phase. Mofo
Falcon Punch
every time! But a satisfying victory.

TP

oh my god

Hold down R2 while in the Barrel and Sam can roll around in it
do it enough and he pukes

Raiden does it too
Wow, 80 hours and I still havent seen everything

I wish Sam had some sort of Table Hopper dodge move like he did when you fought him the second time in Raiden's campaign. Cartwheels are nice but I was looking forward to using that move since it looked so badass in the boss fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sneaking past AI's without fighting them. Like the Cardboard box, IIRC.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Who was the genius who designed this fight?

Can't even tell when my taunt has expired because they decided to give Armstrong a persistent red aura regardless for the 2nd half. lol

NEO0MJ

One thing I only just noticed today is that in the game selection screen on XMB when highlighting the game Raiden's past designs from MGS 2&4 are shown on his blade.

Top Bottom