• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I thought I just S Ranked chapter 3, got to the results screen and it turns out I got an A on the second ranked battle.
WASH AWAY THE ANGER

Anyway, how are you supposed to get no damage on Monsoon? That green smoke bomb that that he throws before the parry segment does a tiny bit of damage.. Still met the requirements though but I was thinking about that Achievement.

Jintor

I thought I just S Ranked chapter 3, got to the results screen and it turns out I got an A on the second ranked battle.
WASH AWAY THE ANGER

Anyway, how are you supposed to get no damage on Monsoon? That green smoke bomb that that he throws before the parry segment does a tiny bit of damage.. Still met the requirements though but I was thinking about that Achievement.

Just d/o through it. He has a very long windup before he throws it.

As i mentioned before, my problem is camera drift either while he's doing his long-ass combos so that my inputs get fucked up (i can't see the difference between a NE and an E input you fucker!) or in his stupid goddamn blocking minigame, though that one's on me. I'm hoping I can just pincer him down to 30%hp asap... or maybe i'll just try and get a perfect parry on revengeance.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

If your method is right he'll never get a chance to use it.

When he's running up to you at the start of the fight you can use pincer blades to hit him before he gets a chance to act. After maybe one more charged one after that he should just jump away to throw the first truck at you and after that it's not a threat.(If you're stunning him and doing pincer damage on his other sections)

You can dodge it( the damage anyways) but it's really fast so it's kind of difficult to react to. and either way you still have to play the parry minigame which is just a waste of time, so I try to avoid dealing with it at all when I fight him.(I really wish that if you dodges the actual hit from the smoke grenades, he wouldn't be able to do the follow up minigame sequence.)

edit: video demonstrating what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA72vKaa2M

He still gets one action after the run on PC apparently so THERE'S A CHANCE that could be smoke so just hope you get something less lame like the kick this guy got

Jintor

he does this stupid pose thing before he throws it which is super obvious, like he spreads his arms and then reaches for his belt. But I try and knock him out of it cos yeah, the minigame is terrrrrible

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How long have people been able to only have to go through one truck throwing sequence? Was this a patch?

back when I played he'd just stop taking damage at certain percentages and it seemed like all runs on youtube reflected that.

This guy is able to end the fight after the first though

Makes the Monsoon fight alot more palatable in my mind. Was always my least favorite boss in the game because of the damage caps on his different phases. Something that no other boss in the game has.

Damn this kinda makes me want to start playing again if (good) changes like this were made.

Jintor

They're damage triggers, not caps, iirc. If you can hit him hard enough that he hits his next damage trigger, he'll just skip one.

If your method is right he'll never get a chance to use it.

When he's running up to you at the start of the fight you can use pincer blades to hit him before he gets a chance to act. After maybe one more charged one after that he should just jump away to throw the first truck at you and after that it's not a threat.(If you're stunning him and doing pincer damage on his other sections)

You can dodge it( the damage anyways) but it's really fast so it's kind of difficult to react to. and either way you still have to play the parry minigame which is just a waste of time, so I try to avoid dealing with it at all when I fight him.(I really wish that if you dodges the actual hit from the smoke grenades, he wouldn't be able to do the follow up minigame sequence.)

edit: video demonstrating what I mean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhA72vKaa2M

He still gets one action after the run on PC apparently so THERE'S A CHANCE that could be smoke so just hope you get something less lame like the kick this guy got

Fucking hell at that video, skipped the whole fight lol. I should start using the Pincer Blades.

The minigame isn't hard, but the pacing of the Monsoon fight is sort of bad on repeat playthroughs. Things that were cool on a first run like the left hand rule bits or the smoke things are just time-wasters because there's no way to really optimize them. You can't challenge yourself to do anything interesting outside of the wall parry trick, but that's not really even worth it. Outside of the final chapter Monsoon was definitely the most tedious one to S-rank and get the achievement on.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The minigame isn't hard, but the pacing of the Monsoon fight is sort of bad on repeat playthroughs. Things that were cool on a first run like the left hand rule bits or the smoke things are just time-wasters because there's no way to really optimize them. You can't challenge yourself to do anything interesting outside of the wall parry trick, but that's not really even worth it. Outside of the final chapter Monsoon was definitely the most tedious one to S-rank and get the achievement on.

This is what I thought too but it seems like the game has changed for No Damage runs. Look at the video I posted, which is apparently the most optimized method for speed.

probably still need the fight to last longer for S ranks but the removal of the damage caps is huge for the fight. What once was a 10 minute endurance test is now something that can be powered through with the right strategy like the other bosses

They're damage triggers, not caps, iirc. If you can hit him hard enough that he hits his next damage trigger, he'll just skip one.

No way he would definitely just go invincible at the same percentages every time no matter what you did a year ago. Even playthroughs of people more knowledgeable of the game than I am reflected this.

and this guy isn't even doing anything that different or new. People were always using Pincer Blades to minimize the effect of RNG on the fight and not giving him a chance to act. Something has had to have changed under the hood.

Vitor711

How long have people been able to only have to go through one truck throwing sequence? Was this a patch?

back when I played he'd just stop taking damage at certain percentages and it seemed like all runs on youtube reflected that.

This guy is able to end the fight after the first though

Makes the Monsoon fight alot more palatable in my mind. Was always my least favorite boss in the game because of the damage caps on his different phases. Something that no other boss in the game has.

Damn this kinda makes me want to start playing again if (good) changes like this were made.

I think the Sundowner fight took most tedious for me. At least the Monsoon fight looked cool (even if it was overly long and, as someone who's not great at the game, somewhat frustrating).

Sundowner = hit 5 times, offensive dodge, repeat. For 10 minutes. Ugh. You're just circle strafing behind him for the entire fight. The chopper in the background is barely a nuisance and you take no damage. No need to parry either as he'll rarely try a normal attack. I didn't even cut through his armour, just kept dodging his swipes and light-attacking him to a very slow death.

This is what I thought too but it seems like the game has changed for No Damage runs. Look at the video I posted, which is apparently the most optimized method for speed.

probably still need the fight to last longer for S ranks but the removal of the damage caps is huge for the fight. What once was a 10 minute endurance test is now something that can be powered through with the right strategy like the other bosses

No way he would definitely just go invincible at the same percentages every time no matter what you did a year ago. Even playthroughs of people more knowledgeable of the game than I am reflected this.

and this guy isn't even doing anything that different or new. People were always using Pincer Blades to minimize the effect of RNG on the fight and not giving him a chance to act. Something has had to have changed under the hood.

Isn't it because he's doing it on Hard instead of the higher tier difficulties? I did all my no-damage boss runs during my Revengeance S-rank run for higher efficiency, and I don't have the PC version yet, so unfortunately I can't confirm it one way or the other.

dk_

Bosses light Monsoon or Sam are sucking the fun out of this game for me. Uninstalled before I break my pad.

The Blade Wolf DLC has a surprisingly touching story. I honestly wasn't expecting anything more than Chainsaw Okami, but I was pleasantly surprised. That bossfight at the end was great, too.

Unfortunately it ends up being even shorter than Sam's DLC, because Blade Wolf is such a champ at stealth. His Ninja Run is silent, and that combined with his fragility and limited moveset means that sprinting around harvesting spines is most often the way to go. Still going to play it over and over again, though, because he's super fun to play as. It still feels like Sam could beat him in a foot race, though; I wish the devs had goosed his speed a few notches.

dk_

what?! those are two of the best bosses in the game! what are you struggling with?

Sam counters me the whole time and it's just not fun to get charged because of the shitty camera. I can't attack offensively without being hit, although I do the block/parry move. When I parry, he's just out of range to slice him with Zandatsu.

It's just not fun for me and I actually choose normal to avoid these frustrating moments. It works, but not for the bosses. I upgraded everything I could, but the bosses are still a pain in the ass.

Salih

Bosses light Monsoon or Sam are sucking the fun out of this game for me. Uninstalled before I break my pad.

patience is a virtue. learn the patterns and strike at the right moment.
well, that's how we used to play games in the old days lol

btw. EMP grenades are useful against Monsoon. That explains why he drops them during the fight.

puzl

Banned
Just got this. Are there any graphical/config tweaks I need to do to maximise the graphics, short of the usual downsampling etc? I have a GTX 780 and it is dying for a workout.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Any way to get full 60fps? I am getting 50max on my LED Monitor while in my big TV I get 24frames. I know windowed is an alternative but overall framerate is all around the place with that... also, hate the big bar :p

grimmiq

Just cleared the Blade Wolf DLC, that was so much easier than the main game/Sam's DLC, I thought it was very short until the results screen..turned out I missed about half of the rated fights..But other than getting a little stumped on the bridge (ended up Hunt killing everyone) I just breezed through, especially Khamsin. 4 S rating, 3 A rating on hard, overall got a C because of all the missed fights.

Volcynika

I heard there was a boss rush mode, or atleast the ability to start a chapter from the boss. anyone know how to do this yet?

Must beat the main story and both DLC chapters. Then when you select the chapter option (after selecting "Story") you'll have a new line of bars to jump to each boss from the main story and DLC individually.

scitek

How do I downsample this game? Seen some use it, any tips?

As far as I know, even if you start the game at a higher resolution, the game still renders at 1080p and just upscales it to your monitor's res. So, the people "downsampling" the game aren't really at all. They're just taking shots of a 1080p game being upscaled to the higher res, then scaling it back to 1080 lol.

Knowing this, though...

Any way to get full 60fps? I am getting 50max on my LED Monitor while in my big TV I get 24frames. I know windowed is an alternative but overall framerate is all around the place with that... also, hate the big bar :p

...makes it easier to help you out. If you set a custom resolution higher than 1080p, and then set your desktop to it before starting the game, the game will start in that resolution at 60Hz. However, it's only upscaling the res from 1080p, so it results in 1080>1440>1080, meaning you're not losing any quality because it's just a 1080p image the whole time. It's really stupid.

So, to play the game at 60Hz in 1080p. Start the game at 2560x1440, then fullscreen it.

hodgy100

Must beat the main story and both DLC chapters. Then when you select the chapter option (after selecting "Story") you'll have a new line of bars to jump to each boss from the main story and DLC individually.

Nice, I just need to finish off the blade wolf DLC then. cheers!

Are there any tutorial videos for Bayonetta as good as the 18 minute one for MGR that was linked here?
I want to go back to Bayo but my whole first playthrough felt like I was doing everything wrong. I'm not that good at these games but I'm not that garbage either.
My first tries on Hard have not been an improvement on my Bayonetta play.

Dario ff

Banned

I have this 50hz problem too

Boot up the game, load up this Cheat Engine Table(not mine), activate the first code in the table, and attach it to the game's process. Go back to the game to see if it's 60 FPS. When that's done, just alt-tab out and close Cheat Engine.

Works like a charm, but it's more inconvenient than the 1920x1079 custom resolution fix. Only use if creating custom resolutions has unwanted results in your monitor. Let's hope PG patch it to at least go for the highest detected refresh-rate if they don't implement a refresh-rate selector in the first place. :p

listening to the codec stuff got me slightly curious in Metal gear series (never could get into playing MGS1 gameplay wise) and went to their wikia page.

huge mistake.

Sooo many factions and acronyms and what not.

BPoole

listening to the codec stuff got me slightly curious in Metal gear series (never could get into playing MGS1 gameplay wise) and went to their wikia page.

huge mistake.

Sooo many factions and acronyms and what not.
On the PS3 there is something called the Metal Gear Database that has pretty much all there is to know about the series. I read through that prior to playing MGS4 and I got a pretty good grasp of the universe.

It seems like a lot of the problems are coming from using HDMI. If you have DVI cables try using those, I switched over to them a while back after a few games were giving me grief with HDMI (Crysis in DX10, Driver San Francisco, Payday 2)

At any rate I've had no problems fullscreening it at 1080p or getting full 60fps with DVI, so take that as anecdotal evidence at least.

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing good.. other times I feel like I'm floundering miserably.

I'm playing the game on Hard, at someone's suggestion, and because I usually do with most games..

.. But I'm dying many times at almost every enemy encounter.

Questions:

1) Are there specific combos I should be using? Or can I just press X and Y a bunch and try to dodge when I need to dodge... And... How should I be dodging... X+A? I unlocked that right away, also as suggested. It seems to work a lot, but the gorillas don't seem to give a shit and grab me anyway. I just don't feel like I'm doing damage, or while I'm attacking, I'm wide open to get hit.. and if I get hit like 4 or 5 times I'm dead.

2) These water skating insect enemies.. They blow fire in my face. What's the best way to avoid this? Doesn't seem like you can parry it. What's the best way to avoid any incoming attack?

3) How do you attack an aerial enemy, or a security camera situated well above you?

actually its not that there are so many factions and w/e, its just how confusing that everyone/everything is some kind of 'snake' or a 'boss'.

btw: is there anyway to know when there are new codec conversations in this?

Coconut

Banned
Sometimes I feel like I'm doing good.. other times I feel like I'm floundering miserably.

I'm playing the game on Hard, at someone's suggestion, and because I usually do with most games..

Questions:

1) Are there specific combos I should be using? Or can I just press X and Y a bunch and try to dodge when I need to dodge... And... How should I be dodging... X+A? I unlocked that right away, also as suggested. It seems to work a lot, but the gorillas don't seem to give a shit and grab me anyway. I just don't feel like I'm doing damage, or while I'm attacking, I'm wide open to get hit.. and if I get hit like 4 or 5 times I'm dead.

2) These water skating insect enemies.. They blow fire in my face. What's the best way to avoid this? Doesn't seem like you can parry it. What's the best way to avoid any incoming attack?

3) How do you attack an aerial enemy, or a security camera situated well above you?

1. Not specifically just always wait for the zandatsu moments sometimes you can get nutty with combos and miss it.

2. Sneak up behind them.

3. Get above them and in the case of cameras jump up and hack them up.

Was going to start playing this but I'm getting huge black bars when I switch to fullscreen mode... I assume this has happened to a million people already, time to look for a fix...

Llyranor

Questions:

1) it's a timing thing. Dodge gives you a few frames of invincibility, so do it just as the enemy is about to hit you. If you activate too soon, you might still get hit

2) dodge backward

3) just jump attack. Or buy that jump-dash attack (the forward-Y one)

I feel like specific combos don't matter that much. Here's the cool thing about dodge = it carries over bayonetta's dodge offset, ie if you dodge in the middle of a combo, you will resume wherever you were in that combo after the dodge. Dodge often (sometimes preemptively to position yourself better) to avoid damage, while still dishing out damage

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I screwed myself over kinda by buying that kick launcher move for the hf blade. Before for certain enemies and bosses I would just mash stick towards enemy + mash X which worked fantastically well but now it reads my input as the launcher move instead of continuing the combo. I actually have to be a little more creative now.

Top Bottom