• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Everyone should forget MGS4 Raiden, just like MGS4 forgot MGS2 Raiden.

Anteater

oh man i just went back to kill the dog in the sam DLC, that shit was nuts, are you kidding me!? I need to go ly dow

Is there a quick way to kill those fire breathing spiders? They're easy if I parry that spinning move but it does the fire a lot.

demidar

oh man i just went back to kill the dog in the sam DLC, that shit was nuts, are you kidding me!?

Is there a quick way to kill those fire breathing spiders? They're easy if I parry that spinning move but it does the fire a lot.

Run away and bait them into a charging attack. Parrying (perfect parry not necessary) that leads to an instant kill QTE.

I've played a few hours now, and I'm liking the game but it's just not anywhere near as good as Bayonetta. The camera is my biggest problem, it gets in the way too often.

The sewers had the gorilla-like enemies (Mastiffs?), is there anything I can do after they start glowing yellow and running after me trying to grab me? I ended up ninja running away for a few seconds, but that just feels dumb.

TnK

This game... wow. Downsampled from 4K with 2x SGSSAA... looks beautiful. The textures kinda suck yeah (they didnt have high res textures? really?) but the action and the way the visual design flows so cohesively... looks amazing.

I think MGR2 will look better than the prerendered CG movies in MGR1.
How did you do that? I'd love to pull that off.

This sure is a different Raiden than I remember from MGS2 which was the last MGS game I played.

11924756003_b82234b18f_o.gif
Since MGS2 Raiden was always pretty strong. He destroyed 12 Metal Gear Rays for crying out loud lol. People seem to purposely forget that and bash Raiden.

Anteater

I've played a few hours now, and I'm liking the game but it's just not anywhere near as good as Bayonetta. The camera is my biggest problem, it gets in the way too often.

The sewers had the gorilla-like enemies (Mastiffs?), is there anything I can do after they start glowing yellow and running after me trying to grab me? I ended up ninja running away for a few seconds, but that just feels dumb.

I just use the dodge move for the grabs, you can buy it from the store.

For all unblockable moves you'll want to use offensive defense since it has a generous amount of invincibility. Swing behind it and go to town... unless there's another Mastiff around. Watch out you don't get dropkicked in the back

grimmiq

Finally finished the SAM DLC..took me several hours and probably hundreds of attempts for the final boss on Hard (mostly his 2nd phase).. Compared to 1 shotting Blade Wolf.

First 80+ attempts I was trying to parry everything and it just ended up with him attacking nonstop for 30+secs without me getting a hit in. Ragequit twice then watched a video..so much easier dodging his attacks and using a short charged heavy attack..sometimes he'd just loop that over and over 6-7 times getting a free shot in him right after. In the end the hardest part for me was when I'd get stuck on an edge as he does his glowing dash attack and I had no chance of avoiding it.

Finished with a D rating..probably never going to touch it again. Most frustrating bossfight I've experienced in a looong time. Probably would have been a lot more bearable if I'd been able to preserve repair paste,went into the first phase with 1, started 2nd with none.

Finished Sam's DLC. Very short, but I love Sam's combat system. I kind of wish they'd stretched it out a couple of hours longer, even just with filler arena fights, so I could get a better handle on the way he plays. I still couldn't use the Taunt as anything but an indirect way of restarting a checkpoint by the end of the DLC, but I'll obviously play the whole thing over and over a dozen times. Hopefully some enterprising modders will find a way of getting Sam over into Raiden's missions some day.

I just started the Blade Wolf DLC, too, and it's a pretty big adjustment from the other two playable characters. I really expected his basic movement speed to be faster, but then it seems like you can Ninja Run (or Wolf Run?) right up behind guys without them hearing you, so it balances out (unless I just got lucky). His combo potential feels pretty limited, but I was delighted to see he has all his moves from the bossfight and that he actually says "COMBINATION COMPLETE" when you do the three hit combo :p

I just use the dodge move for the grabs, you can buy it from the store.

Hmm ok, I tried dodging but they still sometimes reached me afterwards. Could be that I'm dodging wrong.

I'm guessing (since I haven't found one) that there isn't a practice mode like in Bayonetta, where I could just mash some buttons and it'd show the move I did?

For all unblockable moves you'll want to use offensive defense since it has a generous amount of invincibility. Swing behind it and go to town... unless there's another Mastiff around. Watch out you don't get dropkicked in the back
Ok, cheers!

Anteater

Finally finished the SAM DLC..took me several hours and probably hundreds of attempts for the final boss on Hard (mostly his 2nd phase).. Compared to 1 shotting Blade Wolf.

First 80+ attempts I was trying to parry everything and it just ended up with him attacking nonstop for 30+secs without me getting a hit in. Ragequit twice then watched a video..so much easier dodging his attacks and using a short charged heavy attack..sometimes he'd just loop that over and over 6-7 times getting a free shot in him right after. In the end the hardest part for me was when I'd get stuck on an edge as he does his glowing dash attack and I had no chance of avoiding it.

Finished with a D rating..probably never going to touch it again. Most frustrating bossfight I've experienced in a looong time. Probably would have been a lot more bearable if I'd been able to preserve repair paste,went into the first phase with 1, started 2nd with none.

how do you 1 shot blade wolf :O

Xyber

Since MGS2 Raiden was always pretty strong. He destroyed 12 Metal Gear Rays for crying out loud lol. People seem to purposely forget that and bash Raiden.

But he didn't have the attitude man!

I never had a problem with Raiden in MGS2 though, I liked him. All ninja looking and shit, 12 year old me loved that. I also wasn't attached to Snake because I had only played the demo of MGS1.

KarmaCow

I was trying to S rank the Sam DLC but the camera, or rather being hit from off screen had pretty much ended that. I think it was the second VR mission broke me. The first two waves are fine but then came the 4 flying UGs which both shoot rockets and do a homing charge. They love to do it off screen meaning I can barely know it's coming much less parry it. Even perfect parring just meant getting hit by a few stray bullets ruining the S rank with no instakill.

I'm sure it's more than possible but I neither have the patience or skill to mitigate the problems with the camera. I'm going to stick with S ranking boss fights I guess.

Squire

Banned
But in the end it has to be this waaaaaaaaay!

Fighting Armstrong and I see the thing on his back you need to cut. Will I have to do that more than once?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I purchased the defensive offensive skill, but how do I use it? Are the controls for the other skills explained somewhere?

TnK

But he didn't have the attitude man!

I never had a problem with Raiden in MGS2 though, I liked him. All ninja looking and shit, 12 year old me loved that. I also wasn't attached to Snake because I had only played the demo of MGS1.
I always thought snake would die from foxdie, and Raiden would take his place. There was a scene in MGS2 where the foxdie sound comes out when pliskin is on screen with Raiden. Funny how that became true 10 years later. I also was never really attached to snake, and would get confused when people hated Raiden. I think people mostly hated raiden because of him being pretty and all. Never really saw game characters as androgynous only after I stumbled on that idea on the internet years later. For example games like KH, I always thought the characters had crazy hair.

I know Raiden was planned differently in Kojima's vision as being a reflection of the player and allowing Snake to be appreciated from afar, but around the time of playing it, I got to enjoy him not only as a reverse Cloud Strife (since so many on GAF haven't played FF7 yet -
Cloud's big secret ended up being he never was a top SOLIDER member, but a rookie who wanted to be one. Raiden on the other hand was this "girly" rookie that seemed green up until Solidus reminded him of his brutal past as a child soldier, earning high kill #s and names like White Devil
), but also a younger Gray Fox.

The way Raiden was taken under Plisken/Snake's wing felt really similar to how Snake was under Gray Fox's wing in MG1 on MSX, not to mention being another white haired child solider working under a Snake (Solidus, as a child) and ninja moves in MGS2. The cherry on top of course is he became the next cyborg ninja. One day, Kojima might connect Raiden to Gray Fox, indirectly I hope.

I love the added mobility Sam has, very helpful for getting out of the way of the senator's flame attacks. The animation for Sam was also excellent. The kick he does after a perfect parry is better feedback than the extra swing Raiden has in the main game. Damn good DLC, it would be great if someone finds a way to mod Sam's move set into the main game.

DSix

Banned
Did you Konami code your way into Very Hard? Coz otherwise you should have the Muramasa upgraded already. It's a clear upgrade from the regular HF Blade. Max that shit out

I kind of prefered the default HF blade, that's the one I upgraded first (I never was a fan of the sound the muramasa makes).
Somehow I thought the imposed muramasa would inherit your current equiped sword stats, but it seems not.

TnK

I know Raiden was planned differently in Kojima's vision as being a reflection of the player and allowing Snake to be appreciated from afar, but around the time of playing it, I got to enjoy him not only as a reverse Cloud Strife (since so many on GAF haven't played FF7 yet -
Cloud's big secret ended up being he never was a top SOLIDER member, but a rookie who wanted to be one. Raiden on the other hand was this "girly" rookie that seemed green up until Solidus reminded him of his brutal past as a child soldier, earning high kill #s and names like White Devil
), but also a younger Gray Fox.

The way Raiden was taken under Plisken/Snake's wing felt really similar to how Snake was under Gray Fox's wing in MG1 on MSX, not to mention being another white haired child solider working under a Snake (Solidus, as a child) and ninja moves in MGS2. The cherry on top of course is he became the next cyborg ninja. One day, Kojima might connect Raiden to Gray Fox, indirectly I hope.
That's exactly how I felt back when playing the game for the first time. While playing MGS2, I did remember the whole "I was green, but then Gray Fox taught me stuff", and thought "oh, they are building this character for future games"

You know, I appreciate that MGRR has a story that doesn't take itself seriously. It's like platinun went "well the story is really shit since 4, how do we make a dumb story while also parodying 4" and the result was MGRR. I mostly skip the cutscenes because they feel like they are there for the older fans of MGS. The Armstrong cutscenes on the other hand is comedy gold.

Zomba13

Hnnnnngh, would be better though if Sam had his move set.

The chainsaw blade looks fucking awesome though LOL

Gotta be a way to just swap Sam into Raiden's chapters (and vice versa. And with Bladewolf).

Anyone know how to skip the logos on startup? Suuuuper annoying.

That's exactly how I felt back when playing the game for the first time. While playing MGS2, I did remember the whole "I was green, but then Gray Fox taught me stuff", and thought "oh, they are building this character for future games"

You know, I appreciate that MGRR has a story that doesn't take itself seriously. It's like platinun went "well the story is really shit since 4, how do we make a dumb story while also parodying 4" and the result was MGRR. I mostly skip the cutscenes because they feel like they are there for the older fans of MGS. The Armstrong cutscenes on the other hand is comedy gold.

Yeah, I was worried about the tone of MGR pre-release, but the more I played it, the more I appreciated how different it was, while keeping a lot of the spirit of the older games intact. A Raiden side-story through and through, concerned more with what he was after (which happened to coincide with saving the day) instead of a heavy political/military plot.

I've finally found time to play this, and it's a pretty damn fun game. Other than the resolution limit, the port seems to be pretty good, it runs well and I've had no issues with it.

fresquito

Any chance to see a reworked camera? I mean, this is probably the worst camera I've ever experienced in a game. It's frustrating to no end. I could understand problems in tight places, but it goes crazy everywhere. I don't understand how they thought this camera was good enough.

how do you 1 shot blade wolf :O

I think he means beating him in one-try, but you can take ~70% of his health in one perfect parry on NG+ revengeance difficulty. You can also
one-shot every Mistral phase, and kill sam without making him drop his sword. Also, the boosted counter damage applies to the QTE "cross counter" sequences with Armstrong and it makes that fight much quicker if you get the right attack combinations.
You can also perfect parry a bullet from the Ray machine guns to do 80% to him, but you can S-rank him easily enough just baiting for headbutts. In general, Revengeance mode is actually the best way to get the boss achievements because you can bypass so much dumb stuff.

Any chance to see a reworked camera? I mean, this is probably the worst camera I've ever experienced in a game. It's frustrating to no end. I could understand problems in tight places, but it goes crazy everywhere. I don't understand how they thought this camera was good enough.
I'm assuming there's some sort of problem that doesn't allow the camera to clip through level architecture, because there's no reason for them to design it like this. I think Platinum knows it's a problem but because of the dev cycle they just had to half-ass it.

Jintor

God I hate machine guns and that fucking helicopter in Sundowner's boss chamber. Can't even reliably auto-target the fucking thing.

ViviOggi

God I hate machine guns and that fucking helicopter in Sundowner's boss chamber. Can't even reliably auto-target the fucking thing.

Yeah, lock-on tends to prioritize bosses/huge enemies which is infuriating in a handful of encounters, I've just noticed how uncompromising it is in the unranked battle at the end of R-05. It kept locking onto the Grad while the three Mastiffs were dropkicking my ass.

Apart from this particular quirk lock-on itself has always been fine for me, though.

Jawmuncher

You know what could have been a cool DLC?
A Gray Fox VS Raiden Boss Fight.
The skin is already made throw in some sound clips from MGS1 (PSX Version) and call it a day. Would pay so much money to fight Gray Fox in MGR.

"HURT ME MORE"

Jintor

There's a couple of lyrics in the songs I find myself absurdly impressed by for no particular reason. I love "because I am a stranger who has found an even stranger war" just because of the wordplay and double-meaning there, and I also really like "it's me that I spite/ as I stand up and fight" cos of the way the words are rhymed - it's so powerful!

This is probably evidence of my tiny brain or something but hell, it's fun.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
MGS4 Raiden was terrible.

Tbh, I think this game had a better story bar MGS 1 and 3.

Only game I'd put this over story wise is Peace Walker

It's wacky and fun sure but it's also really really dumb and doesn't make any sense even in the Metal Gear universe.

Reason I put it over Peace Walker is that it's in the same position as Rising without the fun part.

You know what could have been a cool DLC?
A Gray Fox VS Raiden Boss Fight.
The skin is already made throw in some sound clips from MGS1 (PSX Version) and call it a day. Would pay so much money to fight Gray Fox in MGR.

"HURT ME MORE"

I think Kojima has said that if he were to do Rising it'd be a Gray Fox game

So my guess if Rising 2 does ever come to exist it'll be a Gray Fox game maybe lining up with MGS5? At least that's what I'd like to happen anyways.

Top Bottom