• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

antitrop

I screwed myself over kinda by buying that kick launcher move for the hf blade. Before for certain enemies and bosses I would just mash stick towards enemy + mash X which worked fantastically well but now it reads my input as the launcher move instead of continuing the combo. I actually have to be a little more creative now.

Can't you unequip skills?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Sam counters me the whole time and it's just not fun to get charged because of the shitty camera. I can't attack offensively without being hit, although I do the block/parry move. When I parry, he's just out of range to slice him with Zandatsu.

It's just not fun for me and I actually choose normal to avoid these frustrating moments. It works, but not for the bosses. I upgraded everything I could, but the bosses are still a pain in the ass.

LMAO. Sam's fight is PURPOSELY set up to have him attack YOU instead of YOU attacking HIM.

And you don't Zandatsu in boss fights unless the game purposely TELLS you to Zandatsu then with those Japanese characters on screen or time-slowdown.

vg260

I wish the game had an 'unlock everything' code (not just levels). I usually replay PC ports because there's a 30-60fps upgrade plus better textures, etc, but this one really isn't much of a jump, and already went through doing all the unlock/collectible/arm stuff on the 360. I just don't feel like doing that all again. I think any 6+ month late port or HD remake should have to option to unlock everything because chances are many players have already done the grinding. Block achievements if necessary and let me use an extra save slot so I can do a no cheat run if I want. Just put in the option. Especially for a single player game like this.

RK9039

Questions:

1) Are there specific combos I should be using? Or can I just press X and Y a bunch and try to dodge when I need to dodge... And... How should I be dodging... X+A? I unlocked that right away, also as suggested. It seems to work a lot, but the gorillas don't seem to give a shit and grab me anyway. I just don't feel like I'm doing damage, or while I'm attacking, I'm wide open to get hit.. and if I get hit like 4 or 5 times I'm dead.

2) These water skating insect enemies.. They blow fire in my face. What's the best way to avoid this? Doesn't seem like you can parry it. What's the best way to avoid any incoming attack?

3) How do you attack an aerial enemy, or a security camera situated well above you?

1. You could press anything, but have a look at the combo list and try to memorize some of them. To dodge the gorillas you have to press X+A at just the right moment, if you do it too early he'll catch you. I see it as practice for the last boss, especially in Sam's DLC. Everything else is just parry and attack until you're able to use Zandatsu to cut the arms and legs off.

2. To avoid the fire I think it's best to dash backwards until it stops. All the other attacks should be parried.

3. Jump up and attack, you can also use rockets if they're too far away. For cameras just jump and attack.

btw: is there anyway to know when there are new codec conversations in this?

Don't think so, you should check the codec at the beginning of every checkpoint, until they repeat themselves.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Genius Destroyer
locZa6C.jpg

BadWolf

Sam counters me the whole time and it's just not fun to get charged because of the shitty camera. I can't attack offensively without being hit, although I do the block/parry move. When I parry, he's just out of range to slice him with Zandatsu.

It's just not fun for me and I actually choose normal to avoid these frustrating moments. It works, but not for the bosses. I upgraded everything I could, but the bosses are still a pain in the ass.

If you want you can just equip the pole arm and do Raiden's jumping triangle attack (he dive bombs straight down with the polearm) over and over and Sam will go down no problem.

Just jump above him and do it.

Is it crashing on you? Are you using a higher than normal DPI on Windows? I had that problem until I disabled DPI scaling for the game via right clicking the .exe.

It doesn't crash and no. I know this issue has been brought up before but I can't find a fix that works for me.

Man, this game is just as fun as it was on 360. Sadly the 360 controller I use with my PC has a shitty left stick that drifts upwards to the left and it's messing up my play constantly.

Man, this game is just as fun as it was on 360. Sadly the 360 controller I use with my PC has a shitty left stick that drifts upwards to the left and it's messing up my play constantly.

I played it on the PS3 first and I have to say that blade mode is a lot better with the sticks of the 360's controller.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I played it on the PS3 first and I have to say that blade mode is a lot better with the sticks of the 360's controller.

I thought this as well until I figured out the trick for manual blade mode with the mouse.

Move the mouse up as soon as you go into blade mode and from there turn it left/right slowly.

jett

D-Member
I tried the Sam dlc, but I'm not good enough at parrying to beat Wolf. I just beat the game on hard.

I didn't manage to get a picture of this 2 seconds earlier, with the Zandatsu character on screen just before I let go of the attack button.

The Wolf boss battle in the Sam DLC is one of the worst things in the game. Tight-ass corridor with an enemy that keeps bounding from one wall to another, the camera is at its worst. Terrible. I'm glad the DLC was up for free on PSN, because that's exactly how much it is worth.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, it's debatable that I've never played an action game in my life, unless you count third person shooters... in that case it would probably be about limited to the Max Payne series.

So no Ninja Gaiden, DMC, nothing. AND the only Metal Gear game I've played is the first one. Anyways, picked this up and I'm playing through on Hard first due to recommendation and I just beat Monsoon. This game is fucking amazing. Not a single damn gripe, even the parry manoeuvre. The learning curve for someone like myself is steep, but it's so damn satisfying when you get better I can't even describe it. It's like a feeling that has been lost for years.

Would buy again even based on where I'm up to now. I hear the final boss is insane. Another great recommendation by GAF.

Now when DMC4 goes on Steam sale again, buy that and blow your mind at how much of a step up DMC/Ninja Gaiden is from the Ninja Gaiden-clone-but-slightly-easier-MGRaiden is.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Boot up the game, load up this Cheat Engine Table(not mine), activate the first code in the table, and attach it to the game's process. Go back to the game to see if it's 60 FPS. When that's done, just alt-tab out and close Cheat Engine.

Works like a charm, but it's more inconvenient than the 1920x1079 custom resolution fix. Only use if creating custom resolutions has unwanted results in your monitor. Let's hope PG patch it to at least go for the highest detected refresh-rate if they don't implement a refresh-rate selector in the first place. :p

The Cheat Engine worked. Thanks :p

Is it crashing on you? Are you using a higher than normal DPI on Windows? I had that problem until I disabled DPI scaling for the game via right clicking the .exe.

For now I fixed the problem using windowed borderless gaming, it essentially turns windowed mode into full screen so it'll do.

Miker

I had no problem with the camera for Sam vs. Wolf; I was locked-on the whole time. I had more of an issue getting Sam's slow ass to Wolf in time to actually get some damage in before having to parry another combo.

Yo I just lost all my Bayonetta upgrades and shit by pressing New Game.

I feel sorry for all of you who will inevitably press New Game in Rising.

scitek

Anyone else using Better DS3 and having the game not recoginize the controller? I can start it with Big Picture mode, and even press the Home button to bring up the Steam overlay in-game, but the controller does nothing in the menus.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yo I just lost all my Bayonetta upgrades and shit by pressing New Game.

I feel sorry for all of you who will inevitably press New Game in Rising.

Well it tells you that when you select New Game! You're supposed to go to Chapter Select and pick a different/same difficulty.

1. You could press anything, but have a look at the combo list and try to memorize some of them. To dodge the gorillas you have to press X+A at just the right moment, if you do it too early he'll catch you. I see it as practice for the last boss, especially in Sam's DLC. Everything else is just parry and attack until you're able to use Zandatsu to cut the arms and legs off.

2. To avoid the fire I think it's best to dash backwards until it stops. All the other attacks should be parried.

3. Jump up and attack, you can also use rockets if they're too far away. For cameras just jump and attack.

Don't think so, you should check the codec at the beginning of every checkpoint, until they repeat themselves.

Thanks for the tips, and thanks to the others too.

Are there any combos you typically use that are stronger, stagger, or particularly awesome?

gurudyne

I've been stuck on the intro level for the last three attempts. I'm getting the bug where Raiden gets stuck on the invisible clocktower and the game freezes/refuses to load anything after that. Can't reload from last checkpoint, or else the game gets stuck in an infinite loading screen. Only found two other examples of this online and they both say rebooting/restarting MGRR fixed it for them. Anyone have an idea for another fix?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I've been stuck on the intro level for the last three attempts. I'm getting the bug where Raiden gets stuck on the invisible clocktower and the game freezes/refuses to load anything after that. Can't reload from last checkpoint, or else the game gets stuck in an infinite loading screen. Only found two other examples of this online and they both say rebooting/restarting MGRR fixed it for them. Anyone have an idea for another fix?

Verify file integrity fixed it for my friend who had the same issue.

Nymphae

Banned
So this game kicks fucking ass. I've only played a few levels so far, but god damn. Platinum at it again. Feels like this game got robbed in GOTY discussions, I mean it might not have taken the title, but this is a crazy good action game that deserves a mention at least.

kinda wish there was a way to preview shop moves. not entirely sure what to spend money on besides the dodge and air parry skills.

i guess more hp and zandatsu bar doesn't hurt.

thefil

Does changing your armor in the upgrade screen have any effect? I'd prefer to wear the [more] classic Raiden outfit, but the description of it essentially says "this sucks".

BadWolf

kinda wish there was a way to preview shop moves. not entirely sure what to spend money on besides the dodge and air parry skills.

i guess more hp and zandatsu bar doesn't hurt.

Get Falling Lightning and Sky High.

Falling Lightning is a flying kick that auto targets well, its especially good against helicopters and other flying enemies.

Sky High is a command launcher that has some of the best damage output in the game. So if damage is what you are after then just do this over and over.

Does changing your armor in the upgrade screen have any effect? I'd prefer to wear the [more] classic Raiden outfit, but the description of it essentially says "this sucks".

Classic Raiden outfit = man mode?

Went back to the game for a bit (even though I said I wouldn't lol) just to listen to the Codecs in the Codec Menu. It's quite surprising how much I missed out on, even though I could've sworn I listened to every one of them during my drawn out, first playthrough.

Did not even know about the
Sunny
ones cause I didn't bother to save at all in the last mission lol.
Quite the genius the girl turned out to be, I've missed out on the Patriots (MGS4) storyline, so the last time I heard her referenced directly was in MGS2 as Olga's daughter.

Anteater

that white raiden costume gives you 10 nanopastes or something, so you could cheese the game with that if you're having trouble

Get Falling Lightning and Sky High.

Falling Lightning is a flying kick that auto targets well, its especially good against helicopters and other flying enemies.

Sky High is a command launcher that has some of the best damage output in the game. So if damage is what you are after then just do this over and over.

is there anyway to measure damage output? Can't seem to figure out which combos to use due to there not really being anyway to measure dps with no enemy hp bars and damage numbers :/

Thrakier

So here is how I defeated the last boss.I bought the white outfit. Made it easy. That way I was even able to train how to cut the debris. And after a ton of tries I kinda figured it out. Without the pastes however it was frustrating as hell because I only got him down to 150% 2 out of 5 times so that I even get a chance to train to cut the debris. They should have made you train before the fight. However other than that the game was pretty much perfect.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So here is how I defeated the last boss.I bought the white outfit. Made it easy. That way I was even able to train how to cut the debris. And after a ton of tries I kinda figured it out. Without the pastes however it was frustrating as hell because I only got him down to 150% 2 out of 5 times so that I even get a chance to train to cut the debris. They should have made you train before the fight. However other than that the game was pretty much perfect.

The funny thing about that fight is how much one good boulder cutting segment can boost your own morale. I still remember the first time I got to armstrong I had 1 nanopaste the whole chapter and zero for armstrong after excelus screwed me out of my last paste (I was trying to save it for armstrong!).

Well after trying my heart out to get to that boulder cutting segment without getting killed and cutting the rocks perfectly, the peace of mind that was having 4 nanopastes in reserve seemed to calm my nerves completely and the rest of the fight was cake.

Armstrong is the besssttttt

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard to get a feel of the depth of the gameplay mechanics in this game.

On the one hand you have a lot of crazy combo inputs that you can combine with a wide arrange of standard attacks and blade mode cutting + quasi-qte attacks. On the other hand they mostly consists of pressing x and y optionally combined with either R1 or L1 and pressing buttons as indicated on screen. That means button mashing potentially takes you pretty far, I S-ranked chapters initially (on normal mind you) before I had any idea what I was doing.

There's also very well functioning moves like parry and defensive offensive (evade), but on the other hand you have attacks that auto-connects (like the air plunge attack: a, pause, y)' which I fond sort of offensive to me trying to build some skill in the game.

I'm also only on chapter four yet, so there's that to consider as well. Having one hell of a good time regardless!

Neiteio

It's hard to get a feel of the depth of the gameplay mechanics in this game.

On the one hand you have a lot of crazy combo inputs that you can combine with a wide arrange of standard attacks and blade mode cutting + quasi-qte attacks. On the other hand they mostly consists of pressing x and y optionally combined with either R1 or L1 and pressing buttons as indicated on screen. That means button mashing potentially takes you pretty far, I S-ranked chapters initially (on normal mind you) before I had any idea what I was doing.

There's also very well functioning moves like parry and defensive offensive (evade), but on the other hand you have attacks that auto-connects (like the air plunge attack: a, pause, y)' which I fond sort of offensive to me trying to build some skill in the game.

I'm also only on chapter four yet, so there's that to consider as well. Having one hell of a good time regardless!
Don't forget you can mix in your sub-weapons, like the pole-arm for crowd control, the sais for grappling and reeling into enemies, and the pincer blades for slow but strong armor-piercing attacks. You also have unlockable moves like your typical light and heavy stinger variants, launchers, a homing air-kick and more.

And again -- dat polearm:

animation1b8k9u.gif

Top Bottom