• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Just finished this (and the DLC episodes) on Normal (action game newb here who prefers slower paced JRPGs/SRPGs). What a bloody phenomenal game, I want more games in this vein for the PC.

Great game and port, high production values galore, I enjoyed every minute of it. And when I died (which happened a lot during the last boss), every death was justified; none of them felt cheap.

I want to replay this on Hard, but I think I'll take a break for a bit, my hands are still shaking from excitement. Maybe head back to a slower paced game like VC3 or something similar.

Now I know what all the fuss is about with Platinum Games and that Rules of Nature bit.

I wasn't going to buy this game until I saw that you can use a Gray Fox skin on the Giant Bomb quicklook. Are there other awesome skins?

adios_by_intheflorsh-d7204ab.gif

popyea

Thanks. Yeah I have no problem blocking at all.

I think I'm getting frustrated because I'm trying to attack parry everything. Regular attacks don't seem to do much, or I feel like I'm not succeeding or doing it right unless I'm constantly getting attack parries.

Have fun with the combos and using dodge to play stylishly without getting hurt. Just relying on perfect parries means you're basically watching executions play out the whole time, which isn't nearly as fun.

A couple of the bosses in bayonetta are okay. The first one - iustia? Is really fun. But the next two aren't as good.

Leviathan or whatever the one you fight in the ocean is great though

Balder is the best boss battled in Bayonetta, bro. The setting, music, atmosphere and tension are all perfect, and Balder himself is awesome. Jubileus and Jeanne are close runner-ups, though.

hmm so why does sometime you press LT you go into blade mode that isn't slow mo even if you have some bar? Is there cd for that skill?

also which button is air recover? I can't seem to figure it out >.<

Whats the general strategy for the arm staff thing? I'm not feeling it at all, and having to cancel and parry for just about every combo is a bit annoying :X

Regiruler

The polearm is good because it hits everything within the radius and has a somewhat decent chance of flinching smaller enemies.

There really isn't a strategy for it as it's quite honestly the most straightfoward alt weapon. Be sure to buy some of the combos in the store and increase the strength, though.

demidar

hmm so why does sometime you press LT you go into blade mode that isn't slow mo even if you have some bar? Is there cd for that skill?

also which button is air recover? I can't seem to figure it out >.<

Whats the general strategy for the arm staff thing? I'm not feeling it at all, and having to cancel and parry for just about every combo is a bit annoying :X

Slow-mo only triggers if you have more than 100% (the first large segment) of battery.

Don't know.

Arm staff is used for stunlocking or crowd control through AoE attacks. Beyond that I don't know, I preferred using the Sai and Shears.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I enjoy large bosses because I see them as like an entire stage in condensed form. By that I mean that instead of being a 1-on-1 the fight with an opponent using balanced abilities that either mirror or draw similarities to my own in strengths and weaknesses, almost perfectly complimenting my battle mechanics, the fight is itself composed of many mechanically contextual challenges and tiered nuances requiring long term investment of skill variations. In the same way that simply making your way through an entire stage will almost assuredly require contextual jumping and combat challenges, so too do many giant bosses work that way, in condensed form.

They're a different kind of challenge compared to the former, and the former is absolutely essential for any halfway decent character action game in order to highlight the best qualities of the combat system, but I do think the multi-staged contextualisation of larger bosses have their own distinct charm and place in the genre.

Miker

Sam DLC is kicking my ass. He plays surprisingly different from Raiden. Even his slashes in Zandatsu are slower. I had a ton of difficulty with
Bladewolf
due to his lack of mobility. What should I be doing to be more agile and efficient with Sam?

Sam DLC is kicking my ass. He plays surprisingly different from Raiden. Even his slashes in Zandatsu are slower. I had a ton of difficulty with
Bladewolf
due to his lack of mobility. What should I be doing to be more agile and efficient with Sam?

DOUBLE JUMP AIR DASH

I love Sam's moveset.

RK9039

Bladewolf

Sam's DLC is harder, but yeah air dash and double jump to get out of the way. His Offensive defense seems to be a lot better than Raiden's, and make sure to charge your attacks when you get the chance.

Pro gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ7xLr2MR7E

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Taunting puts enemies into rage mode, so they deal more damage, but also receive a lot more damage too.

Sam uses flips for dodging and they work well, so exploit them.

Sam's heavy attack alone is not sequential like Raiden's, it's a charge. So you hold down the button, he sheaths the sword, charges, and lets out an attack of varying damaging depending on charge length. But it is sequential in combination with light attacks, and changes depending on the light attack combo. Experiment with stuff like Light, Light, Heavy(hold) and other combinations to see what they are.

demidar

I enjoy large bosses because I see them as like an entire stage in condensed form. By that I mean that instead of being a 1-on-1 the fight with an opponent using balanced abilities that either mirror or draw similarities to my own in strengths and weaknesses, almost perfectly complimenting my battle mechanics, the fight is itself composed of many mechanically contextual challenges and tiered nuances requiring long term investment of skill variations. In the same way that simply making your way through an entire stage will almost assuredly require contextual jumping and combat challenges, so too do many giant bosses work that way, in condensed form.

They're a different kind of challenge compared to the former, and the former is absolutely essential for any halfway decent character action game in order to highlight the best qualities of the combat system, but I do think the multi-staged contextualisation of larger bosses have their own distinct charm and place in the genre.

By large bosses do you mean Bayonetta gigantic level-wide bosses (Iustia etc.) or DMC4 bosses (Belial, Chimera, Baal) which are much larger than you but still have lots of mobility?

Neiteio

Blade Wolf is a hell of parry teacher. I just went like 20 something rounds with this dude and he pretty much drills it in you. Before that fight I wasn't really timing it right or at all.

I didn't even know you could parry the Gekko's bull rush. I'm thinking to myself "How do I get past that shit?" Then I get a light bulb mid fight and parry it and I'm like "Oh, shit" lol

That fight is epic and enlightening at the same time.
You can even parry Ray's stomp attack and charge attack in the prologue. :-O

Speaking of Ray -- he's proof that large bosses can work well. I love humanoid bosses as much as the next guy, but large bosses definitely have their appeal.

What makes Ray work so well is he's highly mobile -- on higher difficulties, he constantly jumps backwards or sideways, trying to stay out of your reach, giving you a very narrow window of time to hit him before he's on the other side of the street. The back-and-forth between Raiden and Ray, with Ray constantly leaping everywhere, gives the battle a dynamic feel, while still being focused by way of the street setting.

Jintor

Balder is the best boss battled in Bayonetta, bro. The setting, music, atmosphere and tension are all perfect, and Balder himself is awesome. Jubileus and Jeanne are close runner-ups, though.

I'd put balder as a roughly human sized enemy. Although for my money the bonus boss is the most fun to fight, the absolute Bastard that he is.

EatChildren

By large bosses do you mean Bayonetta gigantic level-wide bosses (Iustia etc.) or DMC4 bosses (Belial, Chimera, Baal) which are much larger than you but still have lots of mobility?

Former. Bosses that despite presentation don't really play like singular entities but are instead fought in tiers and often have you fighting contextual weak points and challenges instead of the boss one-on-one itself.

demidar

Former. Bosses that despite presentation don't really play like singular entities but are instead fought in tiers and often have you fighting contextual weak points and challenges instead of the boss one-on-one itself.

Ah okay.

Well my thoughts are that, like you said, they are levels that are condensed. My problems with it is that's exactly what it is, they don't feel special at all (from a mechanical standpoint). If they do try to be different, it usually ends up targeting a part of the player's power set that is underdeveloped and that's just tedious.

I would prefer that the effort spent on designing such bosses be put to new enemy types or player mechanics. It is absolutely absurd how many different playstyles are supported in Bayonetta through accessories. Thankfully in Bayonetta you can snipe most large bosses with Kilgore shots.

These bosses are also plenty easy to cock up, like Lords of Shadow's titan fights.

The Metal Gear Ray fight during the prologue is my favorite fight in the entire game. You feel like such a bad-ass during it.

esai

Armstrong
is kicking my ass cause I suck at precision cutting in blade mode. I need to go to bed but I want to finish this fight.

Zep

Banned
The camera in this fuckin game, especially when trying to parry multiple enemies.

And still, I enjoy it very much.

Wookieomg

anyone else having the bug crop up of using a controller but seeing keyboard and mouse input pop up on the screen? Especially frustrating during quicktime events, because my controller's button presses don't seem to work during the event.

Not only that, occasionally when I'm changing subweapons or whatnot, I'll suddenly be unable to use my Light and Strong attack and I'm forced to press Left click and Right click on my mouse to attack so that my controller's attacks function again. Pretty unacceptable. :/

O.DOGG

Fuck this last boss and fuck this game. Just broke my controller out of frustration. I don't think I'll be playing it again soon.

grimmiq

Just ragequit over Sam final boss..BTW Why is a patriotic American asshole doing a Sumo stance? Last attempt got the SOB to 5%, then every move he did after was a glowy yellow one..fk that guy. If I wasn't the only one in the house I'd have probably thrown my controller.

DSix

Banned
Yup, the last boss on very hard is kicking my ass big time. I remember having difficulties last year too and I thought having him already figured would be enough, but here we go again. This battle is so awesome and intense, no game made me sweat over the controller like that in a long time.

Someone knows if upgrading the red sword helps against him?

Clawww

You counter-attack. A riposte, if you will.

I wish the counter-attack had some tracking or context-specific actions. Fuck perfect parrying and having the follow-up whiff completely...if he did a thrusting stab instead or dashed up before the sword-stroke that'd be tight.

Jintor

Yup, the last boss on very hard is kicking my ass big time. I remember having difficulties last year too and I thought having him already figured would be enough, but here we go again. This battle is so awesome and intense, no game made me sweat over the controller like that in a long time.

more damage is always good

Armstrong
is kicking my ass cause I suck at precision cutting in blade mode. I need to go to bed but I want to finish this fight.

Use both sticks to reposition for a better cut. Up to now, you've only had to change cutting angle with the right stick. Now you have to raise/lower your sword with the left stick.

But as was said earlier, you can run and dodge that stuff. But if you do the cut, you can get health items from it.

Can the OP update the release date? The game is released in 2014, not 2013. Threw me off. I've never played a Meta Gear game before and thought this OT was for a game from a year ago.

Clawww

yeah so I was playing some CS:GO and just knifing random stuff and I actually got confused as to why things weren't getting sliced up

it's so incredibly satisfying to just cut everything up like butter. I especially love chopping trees down to dust. i'd play the fuck out of a lumberjack game.

esai

Use both sticks to reposition for a better cut. Up to now, you've only had to change cutting angle with the right stick. Now you have to raise/lower your sword with the left stick.

But as was said earlier, you can run and dodge that stuff. But if you do the cut, you can get health items from it.
I am using both. I'm gonna switch up to type a for control. Maybe my thumbs are less dumb that way.

Did you Konami code your way into Very Hard? Coz otherwise you should have the Muramasa upgraded already. It's a clear upgrade from the regular HF Blade. Max that shit out

I am using both. I'm gonna switch up to type a for control. Maybe my thumbs are less dumb that way.

Yeah, it'll take some practice. It took me numerous tries to get it down. If you can take no damage from the fight's start up to that cutting section, just run and ignore it. Go ninja go ninja go!

feel

Finished it for the first time (Hard), what a fantastic ride, absolutely adored every second (well, except those seconds of camera wonkyness), every sequence or fight was the definition of HYPE. Took me a couple of hours to figure out and get good enough to beat the final boss, so satisfying when I finally pulled it off. On to the DLC tomorrow, and then a maybe a replay with the cool toys I unlocked.

Sober

Run under the debris :p

HAHAH Holy shit what you could do that? But then I assume you don't do massive damage during that fight like with the rest of the QTEs.

Actually I was stuck on that fight for 90 minutes first because I was trying to learn the moves and then getting stuck on that section. After a while I decided to just go berserk on him and noticed I could stagger him out of his abilities.

Also I completely forgot you could use (at least in layout B) the left stick to set up the cut angle and then use a face button to commit the cut at that angle. Totally fixed my shitty luck during that part of the fight from ARGH NOT AGAIN to YAY EASY DAMAGE. It was weird because normally I can cut fine but I guess trying to score it through 3/4 boxes in very limited time is not easy at all.

Two questions even though I'm done the game:
1. Not all bosses are parry-counter/parry perfect right? Final boss, never happened, I assume just because?

2. When you blade mode and cut off limbs they give points right (50, 100, etc.). Occasionally I get "Destroyed"; is that fucking up a cut or is that encouraging you to do precise cuts then spam? Do you get the limb points AND destroyed points or something? Do you get "parts" added to your points/money or is that counter there just for the hell of it?

3. For
Sundowner
boss fight, are the Hammerheads just purposely out of reach 90% of the time?

dookeh

Started a playthrough in 3D with Helix's mod. It's very cool, but I just got to the sewers and whenever I attack all of the water disappears. Anyone else?

No Love

Banned
This game... wow. Downsampled from 4K with 2x SGSSAA... looks beautiful. The textures kinda suck yeah (they didnt have high res textures? really?) but the action and the way the visual design flows so cohesively... looks amazing.

I think MGR2 will look better than the prerendered CG movies in MGR1.

You need to play MGS4. Kojima really wanted to transform him into badass warrior, and he was successful

Raiden has always been a wolf in sheep's clothing, even in MGS2. They keep referring to him as a rookie in order to throw the player off from his true backstory as the ripper.

Top Bottom