• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

popyea

Is there any enemy guide? The chunky sword guys on Very Hard block constantly including parries, do 100+ damage with every hit, and it seems completely random whether you can dismember them. This game doesn't even bother to explain its mechanics, because this is my third playthrough and I still have absolutely no idea how to know when an enemy's armor is broken or how to do it. It just happens.

When their armor is glowing blue is how you know you can cut it. That's the same for all enemies.

popyea

I know that. I don't know if there's a specific method to get it to that point, and to get the red box to appear. I don't know how to get the finisher on Mastiffs either.

To get the finisher you either need to stun them by doing a lot of damage in a short amount of time, or perfect parry them. I think until you've broken some of their armor, they'll just keep parrying your parries. I usually just attack them with the strongest combos while dodging.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know that. I don't know if there's a specific method to get it to that point, and to get the red box to appear. I don't know how to get the finisher on Mastiffs either.

You slash them, hit their different body parts, and they eventually take damage and become cuttable. It's not that hard.

Sometimes you stun the enemy, which can also lead to a Zandatsu. This generally occurs when you land a perfect parry.

It's pretty simple overall.

Miker

Okay, I've been trying to beat Sam VR Mission 4 for a while now. With zero nanopastes. And that's made me appreciate how utterly brilliant Zandatsu and dismemberment are. When you're breezing along easily, dismembering enemies is something of an afterthought - you may not even want to do it because sometimes they just explode or disappear without a Zandatsu opportunity.

When you have no nanopaste and you're fighting for your life against three mastiffs, just to be able to cut off the arms and legs of one mastiff is a freaking blessing. It limits their mobility and attacks, and also gives you a way of keeping track of which one you want to focus down first. Then when you Zandatsu it, it's infinitely more satisfying.

I kind of wish there was a mode that didn't let you use nanopastes - it really makes each and every Zandatsu that much more meaningful.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
yRtud2F.jpg
I love no damaging this fight, it's such an adrenaline rush.
Especially on very hard!
Also I wish I could turn off shadows completely for some reason they're really glitchy for me, those aren't the textures that make raidens legs look awful it's the weird shadows.

Here is the action shot

if you want to be lazy about fighting the sword goons just charge pincers at them, they can't stop you and it breaks their armor.

You get the finisher on mastiffs by doing a lot of damage. Ideally you want to perfect parry them to get it but it's hard to do with their attack animations with the exception of the dropkick, plus the threat of grabs tends to complicate it. The first parry will typically break the armor on their arms, and if you cut them off they're forced to dropkick you which is really easy to counter for the finisher. On revengeance difficulty one parry is enough to break their armor and put them into QTE state, and while you can immediately zandatsu it's better to do the QTE because Raiden swinging the mastiff around actually hurts enemies in the vicinity. Being able to cancel a parry into a dodge is extremely useful against mastiffs because it prevents you from getting boxed in. If you parry instead of counter on something like the hammerfist smash, just dodge immediately backwards during the clash and try again. It's also useful on sword goons if you're facing a crowd and don't want to play patty cake with one dude; just dodge backwards as soon as you parry something.

Dreavus

Is it normal for me to be getting my ass kicked by what I assume is the last encounter? (spoiler:
Armstrong in the fiery arena
). I feel like I can't do anything close to a combo on the off chance that he does the yellow AOE attack because I cant seem to break out of attack animations fast enough to run away. I have to stick to down-up-X attacks so I can run away in time. I got pretty far when I got lucky with the QTE's popping up but it hasn't happened again for a bunch of tries.

This fight is really making me wish there was a real dodge and not just defensive-offense or whatever that dodge and attack move is called.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Is there any enemy guide? The chunky sword guys on Very Hard block constantly including parries, do 100+ damage with every hit, and it seems completely random whether you can dismember them. This game doesn't even bother to explain its mechanics, because this is my third playthrough and I still have absolutely no idea how to know when an enemy's armor is broken or how to do it. It just happens.

A quick and easy way to get rid of the armored sword guys is to hit them with any kind of Blade Mode attack while they're blocking. This will always put them in a stun state for about 4-5 seconds. It's almost guaranteed to work if you use Blade Mode on them while sliding (Ninja Run + Y).

Then just walk up to them and hit Y+B to do an instant execution.

Dahbomb

If you want to break out of your animation to do a ninja run, quickly tap Blade mode to do a Blade mode cancel and then Ninja run. Alternatively you can dodge backwards twice to avoid the unblockable AOE attack he does.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Otherwise, if you want to do it legit you need to learn the parry timing of his 4 combos.

Naw, you can just mash the stick + light attack on that fight in his general direction and win except for an occasional yellow attack or a rock-throw-zandatsu moment. That's what I did on hard, no learning :p

TGMIII

Is it normal for me to be getting my ass kicked by what I assume is the last encounter? (spoiler:
Armstrong in the fiery arena
). I feel like I can't do anything close to a combo on the off chance that he does the yellow AOE attack because I cant seem to break out of attack animations fast enough to run away. I have to stick to down-up-X attacks so I can run away in time. I got pretty far when I got lucky with the QTE's popping up but it hasn't happened again for a bunch of tries.

This fight is really making me wish there was a real dodge and not just defensive-offense or whatever that dodge and attack move is called.

Well Defensive Offensive allows you to dodge out of most animations. You can also blade cancel, tap blade mode, to cancel out of long animations. You're given plenty of time to see his unblockables coming so using any of those techniques with a bit of reaction time will get you through them.

Have to beat the story and the two DLC chapters, then you can select bosses from chapter select. (This does not apply to sub bosses of course, just end mission ones).
Or you could beat the game legit and just use the Konami code after. I earned those damn boss replays dammit, forget the DLC for now!

Hypron

Naw, you can just mash the stick + light attack on that fight in his general direction and win except for an occasional yellow attack or a rock-throw-zandatsu moment. That's what I did on hard, no learning :p

It doesn't work on higher difficulties though. If you mash you'll get hit by at least 2 of his combos where he hits you twice, pauses and hits you again.

Omg, I found the full video for the spider!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C_Qh7NGwho

Okay, this is awesome.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Armstrong no damage achievment on Sam's DLC is a fucking pain in the ass, that Charge move he does is almost impossible to evade

Volcynika

Armstrong on Sam's DLC no damage achievment is a fucking pain in the ass, that Charge move he does is almost impossible to evade

I've gotten the dodging for that down given at least a reasonable distance away from him, but if you're too close when he starts it up it's almost a guaranteed hit for me. D:

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Armstrong no damage achievment on Sam's DLC is a fucking pain in the ass, that Charge move he does is almost impossible to evade
I found it easier to dodge straight into him when he does that move. Less chance of the camera freaking out, and he passes through your invincibility frame window a lot quicker.

sfried

Is there anyways to change XBox controller configuration asside from the presets? (I'm using Mayflash Wii U Controller Adapter for PC and it controls great asside from the obvious swtiching of bottun prompts)

Regiruler

I've gotten the dodging for that down given at least a reasonable distance away from him, but if you're too close when he starts it up it's almost a guaranteed hit for me. D:

I can dodge the startup if he's right next to me, but I can't dodge one after another which occurs if your near the edge of the arena. The optimal place to take on the attack is as close to the center as possible to maximize your time between dodges.

Grief.exe

Working on doing the Armstrong + No Damage achievement with Raiden. Getting close.

Guys, no matter how bad you are at this game, you'll never be as bad as DSP.

I really don't like that guy. From the few videos I have watched he is totally dismissive of games due to his inability to grasp the most basic of concepts.

demidar

Working on doing the Armstrong + No Damage achievement with Raiden. Getting close.

I really don't like that guy. From the few videos I have watched he is totally dismissive of games due to his inability to grasp the most basic of concepts.

That's DSP to a tee. Blames games for his own failings.

Top Bottom