• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Raytow

His right arm is cybernetic, that much is certain. Who said that he needs to have a whole cybernetic body to use it?

Plus this is most likely stretching it, but I'd think the color scheme of his armor - with only his right arm being black - is supposed to make some sense.
But he has a HF blade before getting his arm cut, right?
Seems wishful thinking he doesn't sport the upgrades that Raiden has but he is still a cyborg, and cyborg blood was always red, white was old ass cyborg blood
oh wait people think he is sporting a Grey Fox exoskeleton? that would make sense as that would still make him much stronger than a regular person.

TnK

We're done here

Gotta love how the tiny Armstrong pic is basically this
12.jpg

This further proves that Armstrong was meant to resemble Raoh. All of the QTEs in Armstrong's fight can be found in the chapter before the one I am posting know (135).

Old school anime references in Platinum games are:
Jubelius -> Sister Jill from Cutie Honey.

Armstrong -> Raoh

Raiden and Blade Wolf -> Casshern Same thing with Sam's old design in Vanquish.

W101 -> Obviously Power Rangers with
Jergengha referencing the final enemy in Gurren Lagann
(W101 final boss spoiler, for those that haven't played it.)

There are a whole lot more than this, but these are the ones I noticed.

@Hypron: How do I PP vs blade wolf in Sam's DLC? He keeps on jumping backwards whenever I pull it off.

Zushin

So just downloaded the game, but it's got black bars around the edge of the screen. Any solutions? Using 1920x1080 with a 7970.

Edit: Okay fixed it. Here's the solution on the Steam forums that worked for me:

ATI problem.

Go to displays under ATI CAT, my digital flat-panels, scaling options - there will be a slider for over and under scan.

Now go to windows resolution window, click advanced - you will see a refresh rate box.

Step
1) changed refresh rate

2) each refresh rate the scaling option will reset to default - slide it over how you normally have it, so that your desktop fits your screen.

3) repeat this for every refresh rate.

The game runs at 24-30 hz, so this is your problem.

Should I bypass Very Hard difficulty and go right into Revengeance?

Two different difficulties. Very hard is probably the hardest real difficulty and Revengeance is mostly a rule change where your parry does like 500%+ (even on bosses) damage but all the enemies do very large amounts of damage as well (usually over 100%).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The elevator is like 20000 km away. Even when I was kicking the mini geckos asses.

...So keep attacking them?

I mean that bit is pretty obvious: Keep attacking them and attacking the baddies coming for you until you can jump to the next platform.

If you have the special weapons (which you should) equip them and lay waste to all comers.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
W101 seemed more Getter Robo to me than gurren lagann even outside of the final boss. Kamiya is too old school for GL I think, and GL basically copied getter itself so...

I agree with the obvious tokusatsu influence. Game even has an unlockeable character Poseman, who is based off of/ a direct reference to Kamen Rider 2.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
But he has a HF blade before getting his arm cut, right?
Seems wishful thinking he doesn't sport the upgrades that Raiden has but he is still a cyborg, and cyborg blood was always red, white was old ass cyborg blood
oh wait people think he is sporting a Grey Fox exoskeleton? that would make sense as that would still make him much stronger than a regular person.

I think people are ignoring the elephant in the room trying to make sense of Sam in a world where Armstrong exists.

phaze

Dear Lord, the cut scenes during the last boss fight. Some of most cringeworthy stuff I ever witnessed.

For all the
gifs with Sam I saw floating on the net I thought his role would be more substantial.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metal Gear does not count toward the no damages on console, so why would it get one on PC?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
They messed up with Sam trying to make him a good guy. His character motivations don't really make any sense in the game. Especially after the dlc

Final Boss is the first real challenge I've had since I realised you can upgrade weapon damage (Hard Mode). The game's parry system is very generous so even if you suck at action games like I do it's easy to just keep tapping X/Square then forward X to parry or AX to dodge. And then there is the hold R2 and run round the boss and keep pressing X. I was annoyed how effective that was on Sam and the Shield guy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
You know after Vamp immortality because of nanomachines Armstrong makes total sense, NANOMACHINES SON!

But I mean why make everyone into cyborgs, with all the high maintenance costs and social stigmas talked about in codecs, when you can just make them all into armstrongs and have better soldiers who are able to live normal civilian lives as well.

Unlike vamp he's not a product of inhumane experiments. He's a civilIan senator who presumably paid to have that shit done to him.

But I mean why make everyone into cyborgs, with all the high maintenance costs and social stigmas talked about in codecs, when you can just make them all into armstrongs and have better soldiers who are able to live normal civilian lives as well.
Because cyborgs can be brainwashed and controlled.

Plus I'd wager a full nanomachine'd body is expensive as shit.

The elevator is like 20000 km away. Even when I was kicking the mini geckos asses.

I've never had any trouble with getting onto that elevator myself, usually the mini-geckos show up -> a couple of other dudes show up -> more mini-geckos and by that time the elevator is within jumping distance.

Are you killing the other enemies that show up as well?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

So are full prosthetic cyborg bodies. They talk about how soldiers go into major debt just for limbs. And they don't auto heal themselves.

raiden loses his arm he has to get a whole new body. Armstrong loses his because something manages to cut through his bullet proof and hf blade proof armor? Just kinda pops it back on there

So are full prosthetic cyborg bodies. They talk about how soldiers go into major debt just for limbs. And they don't auto heal themselves.

raiden loses his arm he has to get a whole new body. Armstrong loses his because something manages to cut through his bullet proof and hf blade proof armor? Just kinda pops it back on there

Desperado/WMI use the debt of the cyborg soldiers to make them work for them and I think Raiden was in higher payroll in Maverick (not mention that probably was considered more like 'an investment')

Raytow

Yeah Armstrong is loaded he funded Desperados and that other PMC, and MG Excelius is not exactly common(only 3 units exist in the world?) so yeah a nanomachines body army is probably not something cost feasible.
I think Raiden was in higher payroll in Maverick (not mention that probably was considered more like 'an investment')
Raiden's body is not his, it's loaned until end of contract. I'm guessing that in the ending he is using other body and not the usual one?
We also are discussing plot about a PG game, that is also part of the MGS series, so convolution/asspulls/plotholes/nosensewhatsoever are to be expected.

Endo Punk

Gotta love how the tiny Armstrong pic is basically this
12.jpg

This further proves that Armstrong was meant to resemble Raoh. All of the QTEs in Armstrong's fight can be found in the chapter before the one I am posting know (135).

Old school anime references in Platinum games are:
Jubelius -> Sister Jill from Cutie Honey.

Armstrong -> Raoh

Raiden and Blade Wolf -> Casshern Same thing with Sam's old design in Vanquish.

W101 -> Obviously Power Rangers with
Jergengha referencing the final enemy in Gurren Lagann
(W101 final boss spoiler, for those that haven't played it.)

There are a whole lot more than this, but these are the ones I noticed.

@Hypron: How do I PP vs blade wolf in Sam's DLC? He keeps on jumping backwards whenever I pull it off.

Armstrong also reminds me of Gemma in Ninja Scroll, the way he can just pop his limbs back on when cut is similar. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the fight was an homage.

giphy.gif

I'd think soldiers wouldn't actually get good pay in a world like Metal Gear's while Armstrong is fucking rich.

And Raiden didn't get a whole new body because he lost an arm, he got a new one because he was completely outclassed and needed an upgrade to deal with Desperado.

We also are discussing plot about a PG game, that is also part of the MGS series, so convolution/asspulls/plotholes/nosensewhatsoever are to be expected.

Being fair, is the best written PG game (maybe because KojiPro actually writted it?),its no saying that much but... hell I think is better written than MGS4

Being fair, is the best written PG game (maybe because KojiPro actually writted it?),its no saying that much but... hell I think is better written than MGS4
Anarchy Reigns is pretty well written.

That said, I believe story and cutscenes are 100% Kojipro? Which makes things like
Armstrong looking through his legs after being RULES OF NATURE'd by Raiden even more bizarre. Hell, the whole final cutscenes are insane even by MGS standards

Oreoleo

So I made the mistake of selecting New Game for very hard instead of just doing chapter select, and it wiped all my character upgrades and ratings for each chapter on hard. On one hand I'm annoyed all that progress is down the drain, but on the other hand very hard without any enhancements has been almost the perfect difficulty so far. That first fight in 01 with the gorilla was annoying without the dodge, but other than that it's been great. Having cut my teeth on NG2 for a few years, hard was a little on the easy side once I got blocking down on the blade wolf boss fight early on, but playing on v.hard brings out a lot of the flavor.

I assumed that Armstrong's augmentations were ultra black ops stuff, the result of trillions of embezzled dollars and secret, off-the-books think tanks that only someone like him (a US Senator and head of the biggest PMC in the world) could afford. He's light years ahead of regular cybernetic bodies.

Raytow

That said, I believe story and cutscenes are 100% Kojipro? Which makes things like
Armstrong looking through his legs after being RULES OF NATURE'd by Raiden even more bizarre. Hell, the whole final cutscenes are insane even by MGS standards
Script is credited to Konami, so probably.

I should buy the game one day, as is perpetually in the sales bin.

That's why is so awesome, is like a acknowledgement of how much the franchise has jumped 2 or 3 sharks (while still keeping it somehow serious). I mean,
Nanomachines, Son!
is pretty obvious wink.

demidar

Unlike vamp he's not a product of inhumane experiments. He's a civilIan senator who presumably paid to have that shit done to him.

Only PMCs have cyborgs. I assume the national military are just regular dudes backed up with high tech weaponry and armour.

I guess the reason cyborgs exist is because they're essentially super-soldiers. They can wreck shit, but can be directed to wreck shit precisely without casualties (if the PMCs don't want to).

Endo Punk

Any way to practice blade mode? I can destroy Armstrong but I cant do the precise cuts well at all.

VR training doesn't really teach it either. The only other fight that eases you into precise cuts is Sundowner, that is if you fought it like it should be instead of cheesing it for quick win. Most prob didn't even get to hear the best song because of it :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Any way to practice blade mode? I can destroy Armstrong but I cant do the precise cuts well at all.

you can try the armstrong fight on lower difficulty levels. The boxes are bigger and blade mode drains at a lower rate so you have more time to line up cuts.(You should do it on very easy just for a laugh)

You can also just try practicing the difficulty you're playing on with the infinite blade mode meter wig, so you can focus on just lining up cuts without the time limit

zainetor

Banned
I assumed that Armstrong's augmentations were ultra black ops stuff, the result of trillions of embezzled dollars and secret, off-the-books think tanks that only someone like him (a US Senator and head of the biggest PMC in the world) could afford. He's light years ahead of regular cybernetic bodies.

yrah, I think that stuff might even be the only prototype available in the world.

Roshin

I can't remember ever sucking so badly at a game that I wanted to be really good at. Despite practising, I feel like I'm just flailing around like an idiot and I get absolutely crushed by anything above basic grunt level. I'm not blaming the game (it performs great), but I don't know what it is. I expected to enjoy this a lot, but it's been nothing but punishment so far.

Korezo

Seriously still no fullscreen 60hz HDMI fix? I'm a just ask for a damn refund. These guys are a joke. I already gave them almost a week.

BBboy20

Didn't Raiden use an HF blade in MGS2?
Yes.

I'm surprised there wasn't an option to simply attack enemies with the dull side instead of relying on non-leathal weapons.

Script is credited to Konami, so probably.
I would like to think the moment Armstrong said "You don't fuck with this senator" was when KP let Plat have free reign.

I can't remember ever sucking so badly at a game that I wanted to be really good at. Despite practising, I feel like I'm just flailing around like an idiot and I get absolutely crushed by anything above basic grunt level. I'm not blaming the game (it performs great), but I don't know what it is. I expected to enjoy this a lot, but it's been nothing but punishment so far.

I had a horrible time until I figured out how to use the parry mechanic, using that + Monsoon's subweapon made the game a lot easier / enjoyable. I went from struggling on Normal to pretty easily fighting my way through Hard, Very Hard and parts of Revengeance.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

He's not a cyborg though. I think they explicitly stated in the game that he's human and if it isn't then the character designer does in the guide.

He's a human enhanced by nanomachines just like Vamp. and also like vamp this inexplicably means he gains all these supernatural powers like telekinesis and pyrokinesis.

So if anything his body is Vamp without all the drawbacks. but for some reason still isn't in widespread use when it's 100% preferable to cybernetics.

Damn, tried to win against Monsoon in Very hard with no damage fpr the achievement, but the guy is quite a pain, even using Sundowner weapon, that makes it's incredibly easier, i still wasn't able to do it. Guess i'll try again when i unlock boss select.

Woot. Managed to beat Armstrong despite failing every blade mode and having to do the end QTE 4 times lol. This game is certainly very generous.

What a fun game.

Top Bottom