• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Grief.exe

We're done here

rksH7EE.jpg

Dreavus

Well Defensive Offensive allows you to dodge out of most animations. You can also blade cancel, tap blade mode, to cancel out of long animations. You're given plenty of time to see his unblockables coming so using any of those techniques with a bit of reaction time will get you through them.

Thanks! Didn't know about the blade cancel. Finally got him (on normal, lol)

I also spotted that his one pound attack leaves him open for plenty of hits before you have to dodge out of the way.

demidar

Nice!

I don't think I'll be attempting this any time soon. I only managed to beat Sundowner with no damage because of the checkpoints.

Armstrong and Monsoon...ugh, no thanks.

In my opinion, no-damaging Monsoon is a hell of a lot harder than no-damaging Armstrong, mainly due to those LEFT HAND RULE LORENTZ FORCE segments.

I dodged probably about 8 thrown vehicles just by running, because I got sick of trying to Blade Mode that nonsense. Trying to cut them was the only reason I took damage last time I fought Monsoon.

GUDDURRN that Ray fight on Very Hard. I ate a really easily-dodgeable attack right at the start, which left me on 2.1% health for the entire thing. I figured I'd probably catch a bullet at some point and just restart, but then I kept going and going and parrying and slicing and it was the most amazing thing in the world. GOTF confirmed.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
In my opinion, no-damaging Monsoon is a hell of a lot harder than no-damaging Armstrong, mainly due to those LEFT HAND RULE LORENTZ FORCE segments.

No damaging monsoon is actually really easy if you use the pincer blade after the phase where he dodges everything. EMP him out of that, knock the head away, parry 5 attack pincer hit him twice. You can even rev up a pincer attack and cancel it with a parry if you don't think you'll be able to follow through. Most of the hits when they connect knock him back enough to keep him in hit range of a follow up charge attack with the pincer blades. But the reason the pincer blades make monsoon easy is that they knock him instantly into the throwing cars phase so you can skip past the smoke grenades that are kind of hard to see coming part.

demidar

No damaging monsoon is actually really easy if you use the pincer blade after the phase where he dodges everything. EMP him out of that, knock the head away, parry 5 attack pincer hit him twice. You can even rev up a pincer attack and cancel it with a parry if you don't think you'll be able to follow through. Most of the hits when they connect knock him back enough to keep him in hit range of a follow up charge attack with the pincer blades. But the reason the pincer blades make monsoon easy is that they knock him instantly into the throwing cars phase so you can skip past the smoke grenades that are kind of hard to see coming part.

I know that, I already Platinumed the game. Cutting the debris is the hardest part because it has a lot of RNG. That's why Armstrong is easier imo, there's less RNG bullshit.

Miker

Two cool-ish screenshots from me trying (and failing) to beat Sam's VR Mission 4 for literally hours now (no nanopastes boo):

A double Zandatsu with Sam looks extra cool because you can see each chain of gatorade receptacles on his sword.

1.0% health. No nanopastes. Zandatsu.

EDIT:

Fuck the 2 pond scum spawning when there's still one mastiff left, and fuck their flamerthrowers. That's the hardest part for me thus far. I can pretty much handle the mastiffs, the fliers, the gekko + 2 dogs, and the 2 raptors. I'm struggling a bit with the dwarf gekko army, too, but I haven't gotten there enough times. I think the GRAD is one of the easier bosses (A rank first time I fought it in story on hard), so that should be manageable. I think if I had just one nanopaste I could do this pretty easily, but with none it's brutal.

TnK

I find DLC Armstrong way harder than DLC blade wolf (never had a problem with him... Don't taunt him, just parry his attacks). On harder difficulties Armstrong's really relentless so finding openings for charge attacks is pretty tricky (you can hit him with one after only 2 or 3 of his moves, which he doesn't use often.).
I finished Sam's DLC on revengeance, and still found blade wolf to be harder (this is back when it was released the first time). I played Sam's DLC on VH at the start, and it felt like I was playing on Revengeance until I got the upgrades. Gonna finish Sam's DLC on Revengeance later today.

Is Blade Wolf's DLC fun to play on Revengeance?

Hypron

Two cool-ish screenshots from me trying (and failing) to beat Sam's VR Mission 4 for literally hours now (no nanopastes boo):

A double Zandatsu with Sam looks extra cool because you can see each chain of gatorade receptacles on his sword.

1.0% health. No nanopastes. Zandatsu.

EDIT:

Fuck the 2 pond scum spawning when there's still one mastiff left, and fuck their flamerthrowers. That's the hardest part for me thus far. I can pretty much handle the mastiffs, the fliers, the gekko + 2 dogs, and the 2 raptors. I'm struggling a bit with the dwarf gekko army, too, but I haven't gotten there enough times. I think the GRAD is one of the easier bosses (A rank first time I fought it in story on hard), so that should be manageable. I think if I had just one nanopaste I could do this pretty easily, but with none it's brutal.

You can kill the vodomjerkas in 1 hit if you perfect party their charge attack. It's really easy to bait it as well, you just need to run away from them.
For the dwarf geckos, it's useful to have a rocket launcher or two to weaken the 2 sword cyborgs enough for you to be able to cut one of their limbs to prevent them from attacking you.
Be careful about the GRAD though, it's way more dangerous than in the main game. But you can cut its missiles for an endless supply of nano paste so it's not too bad.

demidar

I wonder if people knew that Sam
wasn't actually a cyborg, just a regular human.
Makes him way more badass than Raiden.

A reflection of my mind after going from succesfully beating Armstrong (took me dozens of tries) to facing Blade Wolf in Sam's DLC:

scsa6skc2.gif

Also, two questions:

1) When Armstrong goes in for that homing QTE-triggering punch, does the timing of your parry matter as to whether he'll go for The People's Elbow or the one where you punch his jaw by the end of it upon blocking him with your sword? Sometimes I get the impression it varies between the two QTE's regardless of your actions, so I'd like to see some confirmation on this if possible.

2) Any general advice to get better at playing with Sam? Know he requires a different playstyle and how exactly Platinum differentiated him (snappier dodge, his charging Heavy Attack, double jump mobility etc.) from Raiden, but I'm feeling disoriented with how little time they give you (for me at least) to adapt before facing the first boss.

On an unrelated note: over the past few pages I've read some in here complain about the Sam bossfight despite them allegedly parrying all the time, but that's the one fight where I felt Metal Gear Rising highlights the value of Defensive Offense instead, akin to the notion of parrying bordering on being a necessity versus Blade Wolf. Barring a well-timed Perfect Parry, Raiden's recovery frames took too long (unless I'm doing something wrong) to heavily punish Sam's slower attacks after his aggression, whereas with frequent repositioning via the dodge move I can maintain constant pressure without much downtime in between each of Sam's patterns.

Wookieomg

anyone else having the bug crop up of using a controller but seeing keyboard and mouse input pop up on the screen? Especially frustrating during quicktime events, because my controller's button presses don't seem to work during the event.

Not only that, occasionally when I'm changing subweapons or whatnot, I'll suddenly be unable to use my Light and Strong attack and I'm forced to press Left click and Right click on my mouse to attack so that my controller's attacks function again. Pretty unacceptable. :/

reposting this in the hopes someone can help me with it. it's really killing my enjoyment of the game. :/ don't want to use my keyboard/mouse for this. also, i'm using a DS4 with the xinput wrapper from InhexSTER... the controller works flawlessly for any other game EXCEPT for mgr:r... it's pretty annoying.

Squire

Banned
I wonder if people knew that Sam
wasn't actually a cyborg, just a regular human.
Makes him way more badass than Raiden.

Well...
In the scene after you kill him Raiden says he didn't have "that many" implants. He was more human that Raiden, but he was a cyborg even still.

He's an honorable character in the end though, which is what matters to me. I actually think "It Has To Be This Way" might be about Raiden and Sam rather than Raiden and Armstrong, but I'm probably reading into things too deeply.

Jintor

Still waiting on that Sam X Sam (Rising X Vanquish) buddy cop game.

One's a DARPA Agent armed with a high-tech suit and a smokin' attitude problem. The other's a new-age samurai with a red-hot blade and a grin to match. Together, they fight crime!

demidar

Well...
In the scene after you kill him Raiden says he didn't have "that many" implants. He was more human that Raiden, but he was a cyborg even still.

He's an honorable character in the end though, which is what matters to me. I actually think "It Has To Be This Way" might be about Raiden and Sam rather than Raiden and Armstrong, but I'm probably reading into things too deeply.

I think Sam was meant to be the final boss, but things had to switch around to get the game out quickly. But yeah Sam
still mostly had human blood, as opposed to weird cyborg blood. In the JP version of the game, only Sam had red blood while everyone else had white synthetic blood

I'm probably just talking out my ass though.

So the game is pretty easy to power through given how generous they are with extra healthbars and how easy it is to pull of zandatzuhealthstealwhatever. However I just tried a couple of times to get past this bit in an elevator. Basically enemies try to slow you down, and then the Doktor tells you to jump to the other, but I can't. At some point you die because the elevator fails or something. Anyway, what have I done wrong? First time I split my time between enemies and the guys sabotaging it, second time I focused basically exclusively on the saboteurs. They barely got two seconds to work unmolested but the same shit happened.

2San

So the game is pretty easy to power through given how generous they are with extra healthbars and how easy it is to pull of zandatzuhealthstealwhatever. However I just tried a couple of times to get past this bit in an elevator. Basically enemies try to slow you down, and then the Doktor tells you to jump to the other, but I can't. At some point you die because the elevator fails or something. Anyway, what have I done wrong? First time I split my time between enemies and the guys sabotaging it, second time I focused basically exclusively on the saboteurs. They barely got two seconds to work unmolested but the same shit happened.
You can jump on the elevators relatively quick. You don't have to wait for the doctor if I remember correctly. I recall just mashing some attacks on the bar and then I just jumped.

Squire

Banned
I think Sam was meant to be the final boss, but things had to switch around to get the game out quickly. But yeah Sam
still mostly had human blood, as opposed to weird cyborg blood. In the JP version of the game, only Sam had red blood while everyone else had white synthetic blood

Nah, you're right. He is mostly human. Raiden notices and Blade Wolf comments, but I forget what he says exactly.

Anyway, Sam is awesome. They may have had to change their plan, but I love the way that fight plays out and how it ties into the last boss.

Nah, Sen. is suppose to be the final boss. He's a total callback to Solidus.

Plus, the way the story is, they would have had to rework that entire ending and Sam's motivations to make it all fit.

Sam is the shit, I'm in love with this guy

This.

I doubt I'll even go through the game's SP campaign again (I finished it on the PS3 when it came out).

Sam's STRONG attack is way better than Raiden's geeky leg swirl IMO. I wish you could go through the SP story with Sam skin.. and animations.

You just gotta keep killing the mini-geckos. L'Étranger's breakdance move (HWH) really helps in this part.

Well...

I took it that
Sam was all human except for his right arm, which he loses in the fight against the Senator. Meaning he was styling on Blade Wolf and a Metal Gear Ray (and at least holding his own against Armstrong) using nothing but sheer skill and and swarthy latin charm.

demidar

I took it that
Sam was all human except for his right arm, which he loses in the fight against the Senator. Meaning he was styling on Blade Wolf and a Metal Gear Ray (and at least holding his own against Armstrong) using nothing but sheer skill and and swarthy latin charm.

It's enough to turn a man gay :p

I took it that
Yep.
It wasn't said that he didn't have many enhancements, but that he was barely enhanced at all. I also think only his arm was cybernetic, considering how he died to a simple cut on his chest.

Doesn't HF blades work in unison to the cyborg energy source? that would disprove that
Sam isn't a cyborg
His right arm is cybernetic, that much is certain. Who said that he needs to have a whole cybernetic body to use it?

Plus this is most likely stretching it, but I'd think the color scheme of his armor - with only his right arm being black - is supposed to make some sense.

You can jump on the elevators relatively quick. You don't have to wait for the doctor if I remember correctly. I recall just mashing some attacks on the bar and then I just jumped.

The elevator is like 20000 km away. Even when I was kicking the mini geckos asses.

Top Bottom