• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

thisismyusername, do you actually think I'm so stupid I'm not killing the dwarf geckos?

...So keep attacking them?

I mean that bit is pretty obvious: Keep attacking them and attacking the baddies coming for you until you can jump to the next platform.

If you have the special weapons (which you should) equip them and lay waste to all comers.

No shit, that's what I did. The elevator never got close enough for me to see, and then he tells you to jump, and its still miles away, and the game restarts. Whatever, I'll see if I can work out what I'm doing wrong tomorrow.

Every game I stumble on something in it's always stupid shit that nobody on the design team every expected anybody to be confused by. There's a level on FEAR where there's a giant flashing monitor that says "PRESS HERE" and I wandered around the level in circles for 25 minutes until somebody walked past behind me pointed it out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No shit, that's what I did. The elevator never got close enough for me to see, and then he tells you to jump, and its still miles away, and the game restarts. Whatever, I'll see if I can work out what I'm doing wrong tomorrow.

Then you're not killing them often or quick enough.

Here's what you do:

Equip Mistral's weapon.

YYY->LB if need be. Otherwise: YYYY... YYYY... YYYY... YYYY... YYYY...

Cannon fodder enemies coming at you? You have full Fuel Cell? Ripper Mode time. YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

Platform in jumping range? Ninja Run and jump it.

If the platform is going too fast above you, you're not killing the things that are stopping you quick enough.

danmaku

thisismyusername, do you actually think I'm so stupid I'm not killing the dwarf geckos?

Every game I stumble on something in it's always stupid shit that nobody on the design team every expected anybody to be confused by. There's a level on FEAR where there's a giant flashing monitor that says "PRESS HERE" and I wandered around the level in circles for 25 minutes until somebody walked past behind me pointed it out.

Same happened to me yesterday (funny enough, it didn't have any problem in my console playthrough). You should kill the two soldiers ASAP and then keep an eye on the edge of the screen while you destroy the Gekkos. If you wait too much, two more soldiers with katanas will spawn but at that point it's already too late.

Then you're not killing them often or quick enough.

No I absolutely was. I just fired it up and cleared it. The actual problem was the first time I tried it I thought I had to stay until some predetermined scene and the second time I must have decided to clear out a couple of the enemies on the way out to restore to full HP which put it out of range. The elevator rises extremely fast if you take even a second or two off to pull somebody's spine out. I didn't even notice the elevator creeping down constantly during the fight because I was concentrating on the dudes in the foreground for dodging and clearing the dwarfs. If people ITT hadn't specifically said I could jump whenever it was in range I probably would have retried another five times before getting it.

P.S. I have no intention of swapping the sword for something else, except maybe a cooler sword.

Burnburn

Just got it yesterday and I'm loving it. The thing is... I'm really bad at it. I think I don't get the game mechanics, so a little help would be appreciated.

My biggest problems are with the camera and parrying. Every time I'm at a slight angle I can't parry, only time I can pull it off is when I'm directly facing the enemy. A lot of times I attack instead of parry, because I'm running in ninja run. I let go of LT, but there is still a tiny window where you attack instead of parry. I also dash forward and attack instead of parry a lot of times.

Do you guys lock onto the enemies? When I don't lock on I'm just constantly fighting the camera and when I do lock on I find it annoying that you can't move the camera at all.

Is there a dodge button?

Really loving the game, just wish I was good at it. I don't really mind dying a lot, thanks to the music. First thing I did was turning down the sound effects volume and crank up the speakers.

At the beginning go to where the 2 cyborgs spawn and Zandatsu them immediately. Switch to Mistral weapon and get in place and do a basic YYYY combo. This should get rid of the dwarf gekkos pretty quickly. The two platforms should be about level if you kill them fast enough then you can jump onto the next one. If you do it like that you should get an easy S rank since it takes less than 30s

TnK

W101 seemed more Getter Robo to me than gurren lagann even outside of the final boss. Kamiya is too old school for GL I think, and GL basically copied getter itself so...

I agree with the obvious tokusatsu influence. Game even has an unlockeable character Poseman, who is based off of/ a direct reference to Kamen Rider 2.
Getter Robo is the one Go Nagai super robot show that I have not seen till now. Seems like I should.

Armstrong also reminds me of Gemma in Ninja Scroll, the way he can just pop his limbs back on when cut is similar. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the fight was an homage.
That scene also reminds me of when Guts and Griffith cut Zodd's arm in Berserk, only for him to place it back the same way in MGRR with smoke coming out of hid hands and all. I think it is more of a homage to Ninja Scroll though. Haven't seen that movie till now either.
Being fair, is the best written PG game (maybe because KojiPro actually writted it?),its no saying that much but... hell I think is better written than MGS4
Best written Platinum game is The Wonderful 101. I was surprised at how good the story and comedy was. Highly recommended for anyone enjoying MGRR at the mean time. Same video game-y crazy fun, but a little different.

Shinjica

Just got it yesterday and I'm loving it. The thing is... I'm really bad at it. I think I don't get the game mechanics, so a little help would be appreciated.

My biggest problems are with the camera and parrying. Every time I'm at a slight angle I can't parry, only time I can pull it off is when I'm directly facing the enemy. A lot of times I attack instead of parry, because I'm running in ninja run. I let go of LT, but there is still a tiny window where you attack instead of parry. I also dash forward and attack instead of parry a lot of times.

Do you guys lock onto the enemies? When I don't lock on I'm just constantly fighting the camera and when I do lock on I find it annoying that you can't move the camera at all.

Is there a dodge button?

Really loving the game, just wish I was good at it. I don't really mind dying a lot, thanks to the music. First thing I did was turning down the sound effects volume and crank up the speakers.

There is a dodge move you can buy. It perform push X+A nd the direction you want to dodge.

jet1911

Just finished Monsoon. Pretty cool boss fight! I also unlocked this

sanstitreqkj1d.png

during the fight. Felt great lol.

Dario ff

Banned
Any fix for the 24fps fullscreen bug yet? :(

Boot up the game, load up this Cheat Engine Table(not mine), activate the first code in the table, and attach it to the game's process. Go back to the game to see if it's 60 FPS. When that's done, just alt-tab out and close Cheat Engine.

Works like a charm, but it's more inconvenient than the 1920x1079 custom resolution fix. Only use if creating custom resolutions has unwanted results in your monitor.

If you're not opposed to using Cheat Engine and don't want to mess with your GPU settings, I recommend this.

Levyne

Banned
how do you dodge left and right??? I have seen people do it but i cant figure it out.

Buy the skill Defensive Offense, and then it's A+X and a direction on the stick. If you don't press a direction the default is a jump backwards.

Edit: Oops, this was JUST answered. Oh well.

peronmls

Buy the skill Defensive Offense, and then it's A+X and a direction on the stick. If you don't press a direction the default in a jump backwards.

Edit: Oops, this was JUST answered. Oh well.

Wow... I didn't even see that... *goes and dies in a hole*

Is there a dodge button?

I don't have the link to that super-helpful post someone had about Rising's various mechanics, but the single biggest tip for me was realizing that to parry effectively, you have to move the stick FROM CENTER at the same time you hit light attack. In other words, you can't already have the stick pointing in the direction of the enemy's attack and just hit light attack at the right time, you have to do both at the same time. It's more difficult at first but it was surprising to me how quickly it became a natural part of my repertoire. I'm not perfect at it (especially when certain enemies attack multiple times quickly) but I get the blue flash that indicates a successful parry a lot more now.

You may also have the timing wrong. You don't parry when you see the red flash, you parry when the enemy's attack is about to hit you. It's not like Assassin's Creed, you have to pay more attention to the people you're fighting. Not all attacks have the red flash (apparently that just indicates when you can counter an attack as opposed to just blocking it), but the red flash is useful for indicating when an attack is about to occur. Different enemies will have different delays between that red flash and the actual attack--there's a cyborg with a giant hammer that takes a long time after the red flash to finally hit you, whereas normal enemies are quicker.

Finally, stop using Ninja Run all the time. It's weird because the game initially encourages you to run everywhere (the very first tutorial is all "jumping's for losers, ninja run or gtfo!") but it's not very useful in combat. The only real reasons to ninja run when fighting is a) to get away from yellow unblockable attacks and b) to parry incoming weapons fire from distant enemies while you close the distance. You'll probably use it a lot when fighting Metal Gears and not much else otherwise.

FWIW I don't ever use lock-on (didn't even know it was an option until I read about it somewhere) and I don't ever dodge despite having the Defensive Offense move unlocked. I've been getting mostly Bs on Normal difficulty, i.e. I'm not actually that great but I'm not dying a ton, either. If I can get the hang of something like this, you probably can too! Good luck!

antitrop

'What Doesn't Kill You...' was actually the first Achievement in the game that I unlocked, about 5 minutes before completing R-00 according to the timestamp.

Burnburn

I don't have the link to that super-helpful post someone had about Rising's various mechanics, but the single biggest tip for me was realizing that to parry effectively, you have to move the stick FROM CENTER at the same time you hit light attack. In other words, you can't already have the stick pointing in the direction of the enemy's attack and just hit light attack at the right time, you have to do both at the same time. It's more difficult at first but it was surprising to me how quickly it became a natural part of my repertoire. I'm not perfect at it (especially when certain enemies attack multiple times quickly) but I get the blue flash that indicates a successful parry a lot more now.

Oh, so it's a bit like smashing in Super Smash Bros.? Does that mean that you NEVER attack when you parry like this? I will try it out later.

You may also have the timing wrong. You don't parry when you see the red flash, you parry when the enemy's attack is about to hit you. It's not like Assassin's Creed, you have to pay more attention to the people you're fighting. Not all attacks have the red flash (apparently that just indicates when you can counter an attack as opposed to just blocking it), but the red flash is useful for indicating when an attack is about to occur. Different enemies will have different delays between that red flash and the actual attack--there's a cyborg with a giant hammer that takes a long time after the red flash to finally hit you, whereas normal enemies are quicker.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to get my mindset in: "counter when he attacks, not when a red flsh occurs". It's almost like a reflex; when I see the red flash I immediatly parry/

Finally, stop using Ninja Run all the time. It's weird because the game initially encourages you to run everywhere (the very first tutorial is all "jumping's for losers, ninja run or gtfo!") but it's not very useful in combat. The only real reasons to ninja run when fighting is a) to get away from yellow unblockable attacks and b) to parry incoming weapons fire from distant enemies while you close the distance. You'll probably use it a lot when fighting Metal Gears and not much else otherwise.

Okay, will keep that in mind.

FWIW I don't ever use lock-on (didn't even know it was an option until I read about it somewhere) and I don't ever dodge despite having the Defensive Offense move unlocked. I've been getting mostly Bs on Normal difficulty, i.e. I'm not actually that great but I'm not dying a ton, either. If I can get the hang of something like this, you probably can too! Good luck!

Thanks, for your post! I'll try these things out later and see how it'll work for me.

Levyne

Banned
Oh, so it's a bit like smashing in Super Smash Bros.? Does that mean that you NEVER attack when you parry like this? I will try it out later.

You'll put your sword up in a blocking pose / animation if you do it right. It should actually stay up for quite a while. If you put it up right before an enemy hits you'll immediately counter. Though some enemies will jump back and avoid the counter.

Grief.exe

Its definitely possible that the game is missing the hook that puts the elevator in position for you to jump to.

For example, people were running into the error where sundowner doesn't run away from you on the first level.

What worked for me is I stood on that beam and spammed circle left stick + y

Burnburn

You'll put your sword up in a blocking pose / animation if you do it right. It should actually stay up for quite a while. If you put it up right before an enemy hits you'll immediately counter. Though some enemies will jump back and avoid the counter.

Awesome, I bet this will make things a lot easier.

TnK

I'm not that good at parrying lol

Don't worry, Revengeance mode will make you a true master in parrying.

Anyone else here feels that this port has more bugs compared to the PS3/360 version? There are some instances when I cut the red box for zandatsu, and the game stops me from cutting more unless I take the nanorepair unit. That and Sam magically got off the train the first time I fought him.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Getter Robo is the one Go Nagai super robot show that I have not seen till now. Seems like I should.

Maybe. I'm not the biggest fan of the show. It just makes more sense in line with dante (space adventure cobra) and joe (kamen rider) as shows from kamiya's child hood influencing the settings in his games.

That's not to say some of his staff aren't gurren lagann fans and that manifested itself in jerginga's design, but i'd be surprised if kamiya had even seen the show himself.

Best written Platinum game is The Wonderful 101. I was surprised at how good the story and comedy was. Highly recommended for anyone enjoying MGRR at the mean time. Same video game-y crazy fun, but a little different.

I don't know if I'd praise its writing, but 101 definitely has the best english adaption/localization and the presentation of the narrative is on a completely different level from their previous games.

Nyoro SF

Those fucking raptors....

One time I had one cornered and did a counter and he just jumped through my blade like it wasn't there! Invuln frames pls

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That's the weirdest thing about the mechanic to me. Not only do you have to figure out what moves can be counrered vs just blocked, but you also gotta figure out how to actually hit enemies with the.counter attack off of moves that allow it.

sflufan

Banned
After solely playing this for nearly a week, I decided to just compare the gameplay speed of MGR to that of DmC which I had just played the week before.

My God, DmC's gameplay speed is slooooooow in comparison to MGR. However, DmC has the superior camera ;)

Just went through the dark subway with a lot of mastiffs. Yeah, that was really fun. Not.

I turn on the scanner mode thing but it goes off on its own after a short while. Seems like I have to stand still to even turn it on.

Why can't they just make a straight up action game instead of trying to force MGS elements? Why did I go through a mandatory stealth section? Why do I have walking cutscenes (which I know you can fast forward)? Why even bother with codec? Why are there mini QTEs with the analog stick instead of buttons? Why can I get stunned for a few seconds unless I go nuts on the analog? Yeah I totally enjoyed long periods without control in DMC2 where the simplest attacks blow Dante a mile away.

Not really enjoying the game anymore. The awful camera doesnt help.

Iorv3th

'What Doesn't Kill You...' was actually the first Achievement in the game that I unlocked, about 5 minutes before completing R-00 according to the timestamp.

Yeah I got it when you meet the first enemy that has the armor on and he will attack you three times in succession. Just parrying him repeatedly and the other 2 guys on screen got it pretty easy, that was on hard mode. Really love this game, been sick over the weekend though and haven't been able to play anything.

TGMIII

Just went through the dark subway with a lot of mastiffs. Yeah, that was really fun. Not.

I turn on the scanner mode thing but it goes off on its own after a short while. Seems like I have to stand still to even turn it on.

Why can't they just make a straight up action game instead of trying to force MGS elements? Why did I go through a mandatory stealth section? Why do I have walking cutscenes (which I know you can fast forward)? Why even bother with codec? Why are there mini QTEs with the analog stick instead of buttons? Why can I get stunned for a few seconds unless I go nuts on the analog? Yeah I totally enjoyed long periods without control in DMC2 where the simplest attacks blow Dante a mile away.

It shouldn't automatically go off, It'll switch itself off if you attack or try to ninjarun however. In that section you're not forced to stealth through, just engage the mastiffs if you want to fight them. It even lights up the area around the enemies so you can see what's going on.

None of the stealth sections are mandatory, they just help reduce the number of enemies.

But the camera is pretty bad, and the stick waggling is terrible.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
2) Any general advice to get better at playing with Sam? Know he requires a different playstyle and how exactly Platinum differentiated him (snappier dodge, his charging Heavy Attack, double jump mobility etc.) from Raiden, but I'm feeling disoriented with how little time they give you (for me at least) to adapt before facing the first boss.

If you ask me the best way to play Sam is to be more mindful of positioning and zoning. The best tactic you can use as Sam is Taunt -> backflip (to cancel taunt animation) -> Hop (tap jump) -> and while you're in the air charge heavy (it's called avalanche in the movelist). That's probably the hardest hitting attack in Sams arsenal that can be accessed on the fly. It has huge reach too so you can stay out of range of enemies since they're insanely aggressive while taunted.

Miker

MGS elements are in there to keep some of its heritage. The stealth isn't inherently bad, really, just extremely simple. The subway area is perfectly fine for fighting if you want to do so (as someone said, it even lights up the area), you just have to pick a good area to engage in. And the stick waggling is obnoxious, yeah, but it's also obnoxious in other great games that have it, e.g. RE4 and God Hand.

Ninja Vision goes away when you use the Ninja Run. If you just walk it doesn't turn off.

Grief.exe

You can just run through that portion to the end without using your Ninja Vision, you get an achievement for doing so as well.

When you are near enemies, the world will light up a bit so you can exploit that to see your way. Jump up at the end and fight a group of enemies before moving on.

MGS elements are in there to keep some of its heritage. The stealth isn't inherently bad, really, just extremely simple. The subway area is perfectly fine for fighting if you want to do so (as someone said, it even lights up the area), you just have to pick a good area to engage in. And the stick waggling is obnoxious, yeah, but it's also obnoxious in other great games that have it, e.g. RE4 and God Hand.

I played the Wii version of RE4. It has superior waggling.

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
Dammit, the final boss is the most frustrating piece of shit I've ever encountered in a video game.

Other than that, great game.

antitrop

Dammit, the final boss is the most frustrating piece of shit I've ever encountered in a video game.

Other than that, great game.
The final boss is what elevates the game to the next level of FUCKING AMAZING. It's my favorite final boss in gaming history.

TGMIII

Is it possible to get the no damage achievements by going straight to them via chapter select or do you need to go through the chapter regularly.

Top Bottom