• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Neiteio

You can just run through that portion to the end without using your Ninja Vision, you get an achievement for doing so as well.

When you are near enemies, the world will light up a bit so you can exploit that to see your way. Jump up at the end and fight a group of enemies before moving on.
If you run past the Mastiffs in the subway tunnel, wouldn't they just follow you to the train platform at the end? You'd then have like six of them ganging up on you at once. :-O

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member
The final boss is what elevates the game to the next level of FUCKING AMAZING. It's my favorite final boss in gaming history.
I really like the boss fight until he throws the piles of rubble at you. I'll just have to get better at blade mode I guess.

Finally beat this game, ended up with a bruised hand, a broken chair and a damaged ds3.
Whenever devs put frantic QTEs to one of the sticks I like to think they have deal with Sony to increase dualshock sales.

Grief.exe

Dammit, the final boss is the most frustrating piece of shit I've ever encountered in a video game.

Other than that, great game.

You can run under the debris he throws at you with Ninja Run.
Use Ninja Run to get out of the way of the flaming fist. Just run away when he starts charging up.

These are probably the two most frustrating sections.

Is it possible to get the no damage achievements by going straight to them via chapter select or do you need to go through the chapter regularly.

How do you do that? I had to play through Chapter 7 to get to Armstrong.

Couldn't find anything in the chapter select menu.

If you run past the Mastiffs in the subway tunnel, wouldn't they just follow you to the train platform at the end? You'd then have like six of them ganging up on you at once. :-O

Nope.

I really like the boss fight until he throws the piles of rubble at you. I'll just have to get better at blade mode I guess.

That is what I had to do. Blade Mode was the weakest part of my play by far.

Change it to controller style B. Rotate the left stick around the axis to line up the shot, let go of the stick for it to cut at that angle. Use the right stick to position.

Neiteio

You don't have to cut the rubble. You can ninja run toward him and go right under it. Just cut the rubble if you want the nanopaste inside. Otherwise, don't bother.

TGMIII

How do you do that? I had to play through Chapter 7 to get to Armstrong.

Couldn't find anything in the chapter select menu.

Finish the DLC or just enter the konami code at the press start screen. Personally I just used the konami code since I've played the DLC on consoles and think the bladewolf DLC is garbage, didn't want to play through it again.

Grief.exe

Finish the DLC or just enter the konami code at the press start screen.

Oh ok then. Well I plan on doing the DLC eventually. I really want to learn more about Sam's motivations and Blade Wolf's history.

I think I am going to take a bit of a break from the game and play some Metro: Last Light, another potential GOTY.

Really ending it on a high note after beating Armstrong no damage last night. Feels good.

antitrop

You don't have to cut the rubble. You can ninja run toward him and go right under it. Just cut the rubble if you want the nanopaste inside. Otherwise, don't bother.

It also gives you a chance to deal massive damage to Armstrong. Cutting the rubble is totally worth it. Once you get the 4 or 5 Nanopastes it drops, there's almost no way you can lose the fight.

Neiteio

It also gives you a chance to deal massive damage to Armstrong. Cutting the rubble is totally worth it. Once you get the 4 or 5 Nanopastes it drops, there's almost no way you can lose the fight.
I cut the rubble myself, but I'm just letting him know there is an alternate way to approach the fight, with its own pros and cons (essentially: less risk, less reward). :)

Echoplx

If I wanted to go back and grab any items I missed would I have to finish the chapter after getting them or is just saving the game enough?

TGMIII

If I wanted to go back and grab any items I missed would I have to finish the chapter after getting them or is just saving the game enough?

Pretty sure it saves once you collect any of the data packages, left hands, MIBs, so you don't need to finish the chapter.

SoulUnison

Banned
The way most of the boss themes seem to be made so as to seem written by the boss themselves is amazing.

"I am am a stranger who has an even stranger war."
-Mistral

"Oh how pretty, all the scenery. This is nature's sacrifice.
When the sun sets we will not forget the Red Sun over Paradise."
-Sundowner

"Standing here I realize, you were just like me - tried to make history.
When our guard is down, I think we'll both agree:
That violence breeds violence.
But, in the end, it has to be this way."
-Armstrong

"Heat of the desert. Dust settles on my face. Without a compass, the soldier knows no disgrace.
Out of the ashes, the eagle rises still. Freedom is calling to all men who bend their will.
-Khamsin

red731

Damn, boyee!
After learning how to parry in Wolf fight, I feel pretty good about my fighting abilities and zandatsu slicing.
Mistral didn't stand a chance.

Just went through the dark subway with a lot of mastiffs. Yeah, that was really fun. Not.

I turn on the scanner mode thing but it goes off on its own after a short while. Seems like I have to stand still to even turn it on.

Why can't they just make a straight up action game instead of trying to force MGS elements? Why did I go through a mandatory stealth section? Why do I have walking cutscenes (which I know you can fast forward)? Why even bother with codec? Why are there mini QTEs with the analog stick instead of buttons? Why can I get stunned for a few seconds unless I go nuts on the analog? Yeah I totally enjoyed long periods without control in DMC2 where the simplest attacks blow Dante a mile away.

Not really enjoying the game anymore. The awful camera doesnt help.

Like others mentioned, you can keep the scanner on if you move normally instead of ninja run. Stealth is optional, you don't have to use it at all or only as much as you need--for example, my strategy was just to sneak up on the mastiffs and OHK them from behind. Most enemies are basically blind and deaf if you approach from behind, mastiffs included, and they move slowly enough that getting the jump on them is usually not an issue. And when you do screw up, no problem, just kick their ass--no automatic game over!

Stick waggling does suck, though. And the camera's no fun either.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Sam DLC? Its fucking hard, I'll probably have to play through that one on Normal. At least until I get Sam figured out.

I posted this earlier but it's probably the best tip I can give to people for playing Sam.

If you ask me the best way to play Sam is to be more mindful of positioning and zoning and learning how taunt really works. Taunt basically puts enemies in an extremely aggressive stance where they do a lot of damage but they also take like 500% more damage.

The best tactic you can use as Sam is Taunt -> backflip (to cancel taunt animation) -> Hop (tap jump) -> and while you're in the air charge heavy (it's called avalanche in the movelist). That's probably the hardest hitting attack in Sams arsenal that can be accessed on the fly. His actual strongest attack I believe is Light Light Light Light Heavy Charge the issue with this is that by the time you reach the end of the combo chain unless the enemy is staggered it is unlikely you'll finish that charge before getting hit.

Avalanche has huge reach too so you can stay out of range of enemies since they're insanely aggressive while taunt

Nymphae

Banned
Agreed, the final boss is amazing.

One of the most satisfying bosses to fight, and even more in Sam's DLC.

I have seen this written so many times now, it had better be true or I am going to be very disappointed lol. I remember people saying that about DMC4's last boss, and I was incredibly underwhelmed by that fight.

Anteater

Holy sweet Jesus I suck. Keep getting killed 2 minutes into the dog boss fight. :(

That dog fight was so fun though, for some reason I got really pumped fighting it compared to the other fights in Raiden campaign. The first metal gear fight was better than the one in Raiden's campaign too.

The fucking VRs were kicking my ass though so I'm taking a break

RK9039

I have seen this written so many times now, it had better be true or I am going to be very disappointed lol. I remember people saying that about DMC4's last boss, and I was incredibly underwhelmed by that fight.

OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW?

I think you'll enjoy it. If not have fun in Sam's DLC because he gets even harder.

Zeliard

Beat the game on Hard and it was smooth sailing, and I'm working on knocking down the no-damage boss achievements (got Mistral and Sundowner so far). I was feeling pretty good about things till I hit the wall that is Sam's 4th VR Mission.

Ho-ly shit.

Nymphae

Banned
OH YOU DIDN'T KNOW?

I think you'll enjoy it. If not have fun in Sam's DLC because he gets even harder.

haha, I know nothing other than people are really hyping it up as one of the coolest boss fights ever, can't wait to see what it is.

Miker

Beat the game on Hard and it was smooth sailing, and I'm working on knocking down the no-damage boss achievements (got Mistral and Sundowner so far). I was feeling pretty good about things till I hit the wall that is Sam's 4th VR Mission.

Ho-ly shit.

I've been on that one for the past 3 or so hours of play. The mastiffs, man. Then when you get down to just one mastiff, two pond scum spawn and flamethrower or AOE spin you into oblivion.

Anteater

I've been on that one for the past 3 or so hours of play. The mastiffs, man. Then when you get down to just one mastiff, two pond scum spawn and flamethrower or AOE spin you into oblivion.

I got to the raptors, do you know how many waves there were left after those? I was disappointed I died there because I was pretty sure there couldn't be more lol

It was like an entire fucking chapter squeezed into 1 VR

phaze

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The whole fight did very little for me. Not going to spoil it for you but keep your expectations in check.

Tookay

Just to lower your hype a bit, I love this game and I wasn't really impressed with the final boss too much. There were quite a few other bosses who were better.

McNum

Beat both DLC stories today, and wow, I do not get how to play as Sam at all. He feels like a slower, less versatile version of Raiden. Considering a lot of my usual fighting style with Raiden is based on mobility and getting cheap shots in with Defensive Offense, Sam and me just don't gel at all. And then they make you fight a variant of
Armstrong
with some new attacks. I clutched a win there, how are you even supposed to get an opening to attack?

Wolf on the other hand, was really fun. I like Ninja Kills with Raiden, and Wolf is pretty much based around those. Quick, mobile, sneaky, and with instant kills. Getting across the bridge without getting an alert was sweet.

I think I still prefer playing as Raiden, though. He's a good allrounder, neither as move-locked as Sam, nor as reliant on stealth as Wolf.

Beat both DLC stories today, and wow, I do not get how to play as Sam at all. He feels like a slower, less versatile version of Raiden. Considering a lot of my usual fighting style with Raiden is based on mobility and getting cheap shots in with Defensive Offense, Sam and me just don't gel at all. And then they make you fight a variant of
Armstrong
with some new attacks. I clutched a win there, how are you even supposed to get an opening to attack?

Wolf on the other hand, was really fun. I like Ninja Kills with Raiden, and Wolf is pretty much based around those. Quick, mobile, sneaky, and with instant kills. Getting across the bridge without getting an alert was sweet.

I think I still prefer playing as Raiden, though. He's a good allrounder, neither as move-locked as Sam, nor as reliant on stealth as Wolf.

Sam's charge attack is insanely OP though. Just get some distance from a group of enemies, hold it down, and watch them scatter.

McNum

Sam's charge attack is insanely OP though. Just get some distance from a group of enemies, hold it down, and watch them scatter.
Yeah, it's great when there's an opening to use it. The final boss... doesn't have openings to stand still and charge for a few seconds. Also, he can fly if you try being sneaky and doing a jump charge. The only reason I beat him was that I just started playing reckless to the extreme.

Zeliard

Armstrong

Sam can actually be quite devastating with his taunt and charge attacks, and other moves like Assault Rush. Taunt boosts enemy attack power but lowers their defenses quite significantly and leaves them more prone to being sliced apart (similarly to Jack's Ripper state), and you can interrupt the taunt animation by dodging.

The Sam DLC on Hard is certainly harder than the main game on the same difficulty, but Sam is pretty fun to use and quite vicious if you get used to how he plays. The 4th VR mission is just insane, though. Haven't tried out the final boss with Sam yet; that should be pretty interesting, especially trying to no-damage him.

McNum

Sam can actually be quite devastating with his taunt and charge attacks, and other moves like Assault Rush. Taunt boosts enemy attack power but lowers their defenses quite significantly and leaves them more prone to being sliced apart (similarly to Jack's Ripper state), and you can interrupt the taunt animation by dodging.

The Sam DLC on Hard is certainly harder than the main game on the same difficulty, but Sam is pretty fun to use and quite vicious if you get used to how he plays. The 4th VR mission is just insane, though. Haven't tried out the final boss with Sam yet; that should be pretty interesting, especially trying to no-damage him.
Taunt and the max charge attack does do a ton of damage. It's the "not getting killed right back" that's the problem for me with Sam.

Dahbomb

I have never seen anyone praise DMC4's final boss. Its an average boss fight at best, nothing special.

Now DMC3 final boss is legit and so is MGR's final boss.

Miker

LcAIMu8.jpg

FUCK YES I BEAT SAM VR MISSION 4 ON HARD. A-RANK (somehow I missed a kill...? I must've let a cyborg explode. Should be S-rank bah)

This time, before starting the VR mission, I grabbed a single nanopaste from the main story, because I couldn't beat it with zero nanopastes. I finally used said nanopaste during the last round, but by then I was slicing up missiles for nanopastes.

I got to the raptors, do you know how many waves there were left after those? I was disappointed I died there because I was pretty sure there couldn't be more lol

It was like an entire fucking chapter squeezed into 1 VR

Wave by wave:

[Wave 1]
2 x normal cyborgs
2 x riot shield cyborgs
1 x hammer bro

[Wave 2]
3 x mastiff

[Wave 3 - spawns when you've only killed two mastiffs!]
2 x vodomjerka

[Wave 4]
1 x gekko
2 x fenrir

[Wave 5]
2 x raptor

[Wave 6]
A bunch of dwarf gekkos
2 x armored RPG cyborgs

[Wave 7/final wave]

GRAD boss, complete with life bar

VR mission 4 made me appreciate Sam a lot, and I expect the rest of the DLC to be much easier now that I've played with him for so long. The air charge is certainly broken, and feels more like cheesing than anything else, but enemies just don't die fast enough without taunting, which leads to the move's abuse.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sam is like the opposite of raiden. While raiden's chain enders don't matter, They're all you want as Sam.

I've warmed up to the dlc over time. At launch u also missed raiden's optiins and thought sam was limited, but I actually appreciate the more limited moveset as the content can be more tightly designed around it. While raiden has options to pretty much break every encounter in the main game, Sam's dlc forces you to play right to succeed. Almost no easy ways out in the chapter.

I just wish there was more original cintent within it.

McNum

Actually, something bothered me a bit when I replayed the main story this time around. Exactly what IS the villain plan in this one?

Okay, we know Armstrong wants to re-ignite the War on Terror and use that to catapult himself into becoming president. So he fakes an assassination attempt on the current president during a scheduled visit to Pakistan. That's all well and good, but... where does harvesting the brains of children fit into that?

Or was there two plans going at once? One to create a spike in the demand for cyborg PMCs and one to mass produce cyborg PMC soldiers by harvesting and VR raining the brains of children and potting those into cyborg bodies?

Just seems like a bit of a convoluted plan this one.

Zeliard

Nice work Miker :p

Taunt and the max charge attack does do a ton of damage. It's the "not getting killed right back" that's the problem for me with Sam.

I'm not sure if there's a difference in the invincibility frames or speed between Raiden and Sam's dodges, but I actually feel more comfortable dodging with Sam. Maybe it's just the conventional roll-dodge animation (and sweet backflip).

Also taunting enemies seems to make it easier for them to break your guard, so that's something to keep in mind.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sam's dodge recovers faster.

Raiden couldn't avoid armstrongs rush punch with his. Good thing he forgot about it.when they fought

Taunted enemies do chip on guard iirc.

Conan-san

Actually, something bothered me a bit when I replayed the main story this time around. Exactly what IS the villain plan in this one?

Okay, we know Armstrong wants to re-ignite the War on Terror and use that to catapult himself into becoming president. So he fakes an assassination attempt on the current president during a scheduled visit to Pakistan. That's all well and good, but... where does harvesting the brains of children fit into that?

Or was there two plans going at once? One to create a spike in the demand for cyborg PMCs and one to mass produce cyborg PMC soldiers by harvesting and VR raining the brains of children and potting those into cyborg bodies?

I'm under the impression it was
Fake Assasination attempt, pin it on Elderado

Ignite a second war on terror, using the PMCs WM created

Use that as platform to become president and do so

Inact Chaotic route of SMT

Well, as far as I see it...

I'm pretty sure you can look at it as two different plans that went together... World Marshall, Armstrong's PMC, was funding the children-into-cyborg program to help bolster his own private cyborg army, utilizing virtual programming based on George Sears' (Solidus Snake) training regimen.

As far as the false-flag assassination, I'm pretty sure the plan was less about guaranteeing the Presidency than it was bringing back the "War Economy" as it was before the fall of SOP. Sundowner makes reference to this, but more in terms of pure income. Armstrong sees the War Economy more like a valid point of view towards life, liberty and the American Way. Give them a war, and they'll come together and make way for serious change, which would basically boil down to a crazy scenario of extreme personal accountability, where every man or woman could ostensibly "fight wars" whether personal, domestic, foreign or otherwise.

Or something like that.

McNum

I'm under the impression it was
Fake Assasination attempt, pin it on Elderado

Ignite a second war on terror, using the PMCs WM created

Use that as platform to become president and do so

Inact Chaotic route of SMT
Yeah, but I still don't see the need to
harvest the brains from children to do that. It just seems like it's needlessly evil and complicated. Plus it was what turned Raiden against them all.

I mean, yeah, considering how crazy the story is in this game, i probably shouldn't dig too hard at it, but still...
Why the child brains?

Yeah, but I still don't see the need to
harvest the brains from children to do that. It just seems like it's needlessly evil and complicated. Plus it was what turned Raiden against them all.

I mean, yeah, considering how crazy the story is in this game, i probably shouldn't dig too hard at it, but still...
Why the child brains?

To create more Jack the Rippers, I do believe. Or at least, to create soldiers on-par with Raiden.

Top Bottom