• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Grief claims this game won't spoiler the fourth MGS game, which I haven't played yet, for me, so my finger is hovering above the buy the button. I hated Jack
in the second game (or maybe I just was disappointed not to see Snake as much)
, but I'm a sucker for near-future sci-fi settings / robotics / PMCs. (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Binary Domain).
Raiden in MGS2 was basically this series' Jar Jar Binks.

He became super cool in MGS4, and now in Rising he's one if the best video game action heroes of all time.

One hell of a character transformation.

2San

It's already 9 January over here and I still have to wait 19 hours?! With the region locking bullcrap they could at least release the game on time in their respective regions. :(

joe2187

Banned
I was in one of the final meetings about this trailer (they wanted to get opinions of the staff), and I remember telling KJP that I thought it looked really nice, and had me hyped up. Our initial sentiment reports came back extremely negative. I'm actually really glad some people at least like it.

Are you kidding me? I literally lost all control of myself when I saw that trailer.

When rising was first announced I was skeptical that the game would be a boring spinoff, then I saw the action and the gameplay and was like....this reminds me of Platinum games kind of stuff, and then the developer reveal made me lose my goddamn mind.

I've been in love with this game, hyping it up to everybody because of that trailer.

zainetor

Banned
I was in one of the final meetings about this trailer (they wanted to get opinions of the staff), and I remember telling KJP that I thought it looked really nice, and had me hyped up. Our initial sentiment reports came back extremely negative. I'm actually really glad some people at least like it.

i' m sure a lot of people said: why raiden can launch ray now? this is not Mgs!!!!111!1!1!

I really liked it, maybe even more than the final result. Shame that the track in the video is not in the final game.

I feel like Rising's faults are all things that can be fixed with time and soliciting feedback.

The chapters really need to be broken up a bit more and selectable. I feel like I can load up parts of Bayonetta I really like and get to the part I want to play without running past every enemy.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I feel like Rising's faults are all things that can be fixed with time and soliciting feedback.

The chapters really need to be broken up a bit more and selectable. I feel like I can load up parts of Bayonetta I really like and get to the part I want to play without running past every enemy.

I agree. The game itself is a fantastic foundation that can be tuned and revamped in a sequel. It always felt like some of these things may have been due to time constraints.

Is this confirmed?

Make the thread.

Uraizen

Banned

There was some bad taste amongst the staff, then. My favorite part of the trailer is this part: http://youtu.be/5SNo8h-KfAU?t=1m20s Hearing the car alarm go off in the background and get sliced was great.

pahamrick

another giveaway
we can never have too many giveaways

Before you enter please make sure you can run the game and that you plan on playing it
MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlog

Thanks for this giveaway, super awesome and generous!

Entered and fingers crossed.

Peff

Another thing that would be really cool about a sequel is how it would have no baggage from a previous KJP version. It's kind of crazy how much of the five/six minutes of footage made public they tried to keep in the final version, and Zandatsu was likely a bitch to implement. I feel that's one thing that wouldn't have been a central mechanic in a Platinum-only game, so it'd be great to see what they do with full control from the beginning.

Herne

It's difficult to tell if you'd like MGR since you don't really play action games. Unlike a lot of the games you listed, where the depth of the game might stem from malleable plot, choices/consequences, macro strategy, puzzle solving, or upgrade paths, action games' depth are largely in their combat. spectacle, and style.

I think you'll just have to try it someday for yourself, because you won't know until the controller is in your hands.

Very true. I don't play a lot of action games nowadays as you say, however I've been gaming for years, starting with the C64, so I've played my fair share of them. Hell, I still do play those on the C64 and Amiga 1200 that are sitting next to me as I type.

I may give Rising a go. I know people are crazy about these games and, now that one is coming to my platform of choice, my interest is piqued!

I respect that but you're missing out big time. This is why the Nintendo/PC combo is not ideal.

It's ideal for me, I think. I get to play the massive breadth of games the pc has to offer while still being able to play Zelda and Mario Kart. What console games that I am interested in usually have their pc counterpart, and those that don't... meh, I'm not going to spend money on a new console just to play the very small number of games that I'd like to play on a 360 or PS3, or whatever.

Uraizen

Banned
Oh, the staff loved it. Sentiment reports come from major news sites and our social networks. Fans hated it.

Oooooh... then the staff is fantastic and major news sites have terrible taste. If anything, that's the trailer that made me interested in the game to begin with. I wasn't an MGS fan, though, so I guess I don't count.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Surprised to see this level of interest. I've never played a Metal Gear game before... may give this one a go depending on user reviews.

Er... this is NO WHERE near the other Metal Gears.

Tora, use your PR pull and get IGAvania's on Steam, plz. ;_;

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, the staff loved it. Sentiment reports come from major news sites and our social networks. Fans hated it.

Should have had Raiden cry more in the trailer.

I'd like it if the zandatsu was expanded, actually

The worst thing they can do is punish you for bad blade mode attacks on regular enemies, so they should do the opposite and reward players for good ones. Rising 1 did a good job with making the spine cut heal you, but I think it should go further with stuff like slicing a hat off an enemy or something.

Goon Boon

Banned
To the people just getting in, do the Konami code and start on Very Hard if you want to kill yourselves. It's harder than Revengeance mode because you don't get the instakill parry.

Gbraga

Very true. I don't play a lot of action games nowadays as you say, however I've been gaming for years, starting with the C64, so I've played my fair share of them. Hell, I still do play those on the C64 and Amiga 1200 that are sitting next to me as we speak.

I may give Rising a go. I know people are crazy about these games and, now that one is coming to my platform of choice, my interest is piqued!

Do you like dumb action animes? If so, I think that's the best way to describe character action games to someone who never played them.

You know how awesome it feels to watch Gurren Lagann characters being awesome? It's kinda like that but you're in control.

And also kinda like anime, you have to master the controls in order to become the hypest shit on earth, Simon didn't start GL as mr dickpants, he evolved into mr dickpants.

If you also don't watch anime, then, well, you should.

I think it was just an unfortunate shock to the system.
Preconceived notions were shattered, and with a build that looked a bit rough.
That fed into the fear of change, and people love to react.

It is a fun trailer, but I do say that with a bit of retroactive confirmation bias of the quality of the final product.

Pleas ModBot, your'e my only hope.
tumblr_mhfhcwJ8sa1rhfzyao1_500.gif

Dr Dogg

Pssh! They're not real fans. To be fair when I first saw it my anticipation was more in the line of expecting something akin to a new Solid title so was taken aback at first.

zainetor

Banned
Like Metal Gear Solid 4 was any less obnoxious and laughably absurd. MGS4 just takes itself seriously, though, I guess that's what the fans want out of the franchise, but I've never understood them.

If it doesnt take itself too seriously, those so called fans don't like it.

God raiden does the breakdance with gekkos strapped to his legs in 4, but they freakout if he lifts a ray with his superstrenght.

Peff

I'd like it if the zandatsu was expanded, actually

The worst thing they can do is punish you for bad blade mode attacks on regular enemies, so they should do the opposite and reward players for good ones. Rising 1 did a good job with making the spine cut heal you, but I think it should go further with stuff like slicing a hat off an enemy or something.

They sort of did that with the wigs, which if I'm remembering correctly required a certain amount of glowing arms cut, not to mention extra points for every limb you cut before the final kill. All things considered they exploited the mechanic fairly well for how aimless it seemed at first.

I think it was just an unfortunate shock to the system.
Preconceived notions were shattered, and with a build that looked a bit rough.
That fed into the fear of change, and people love to react.

It is a fun trailer, but I do say that with a bit of retroactive confirmation bias of the quality of the final product.

Pretty much this. If it had turned out trash people would be lauding that they called it back in December 2011.

I think I was the only one personally surprised by the reaction, most people had assumed after the long wait and the... sideboot (?), that it was far different from what the fans' expectations were and expected it. We did a really good job of hyping the original vision and since no one was there to see it crash and burn outside of the 2010 E3 assets, most assumed we were throwing away a much better product for an inferior one.

Ladies and gentlemen, the smoke and mirrors of the games industry!

Blinck

YES!

YES!

In case you're planning on skipping the cutscenes you should at least watch the ones around the final boss, you'll know when you get there.

This game is for you I think.

BOUGHT!

I will watch the cutscenes ! When I say I don't give a shit about the story I just mean that I don't have any investment in the Metal Gear lore or anything like that so I don't really care if the story is good or bad since it's not the reason I want to play the game :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where Metal Gear Solid tries to toe the line between serious melodrama and narrative lunacy, often slipping and falling when it fucks up the balance (see: Metal Gear Solid 4), Revengeance leans a lot heavier towards the lunacy but manages to embrace it more openly and casually, and thus it works.

It still has plenty of your typical Metal Gear Solid PTS soldier philosophising, but it steers Raiden's character back on track from the MGS4 trainwreck, and there's just the right amount of total crazy in the philosophy that the whole package is tons of fun. Most of which can be summarised via the end boss.

antitrop

Where Metal Gear Solid tries to toe the line between serious melodrama and narrative lunacy, often slipping and falling when it fucks up the balance (see: Metal Gear Solid 4), Revengeance leans a lot heavier towards the lunacy but manages to embrace it more openly and casually, and thus it works.

It still has plenty of your typical Metal Gear Solid PTS soldier philosophising, but it steers Raiden's character back on track from the MGS4 trainwreck, and there's just the right amount of total crazy in the philosophy that the whole package is tons of fun. Most of which can be summarised via the end boss.
Like I said, I haven't played MGR:R, yet, but this is what I've picked up about the whole thing.

Top Bottom