• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Hypron

Wait, why? Aren't they one of the bigger DLC packages included?

It depends, the combat ones are quite challenging and I quite like them. The sub weapon VR missions are complete shite though. You're just given heaps of grenades or RPGs and need to spam that all day long.

Falifax

Reposting for another page!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE -- MB-92656130DACAB547

t1389221514z1.png

Grief.exe

Im pretty sure it's around 400k. And it'll be closer to 1 million in a few weeks.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 300-400k would be my guess considering sales of Starbound, DayZ, Rust, etc over that time period near the top of the sellers list.

Miker

The VR missions, at least to get gold rankings, are not worth stressing out over. The times to get the gold are so very close that you will drive yourself crazy in later levels.

I didn't play the DLC VRs though, so I may just try them (not for gold though).

I think hes talking more that they were annoyingly hard near the end to perfect each of them lol.

They require precision and timing to a point where you want to get a shotgun and shoot yourself. Puts Revengeance Mode to shame.

It depends, the combat ones are quite challenging and I quite like them. The sub weapon VR missions are complete shite though. You're just given heaps of grenades or RPGs and need to spam that all day long.

Hmm, I'll give them a try after the main game, and I guess I won't bother S-ranking them.

Tecl0n

Surprised to see this level of interest. I've never played a Metal Gear game before... may give this one a go depending on user reviews.

It's not like the other Metal Gear games.

Do you like Devil May Cry series or Bayonetta? If so, get Rising.
If not,
get Rising.

We can badger ToraShiro after a while. O:

Badger away, you know I loves it.

Source? I was aware it was a canon spin off. If it not directed by Hideo Kojima then it is not a canon. Look at the HD/Legacy collection. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops was not included.

It's effectively canon until Kojima decides he wants to do something post MGS4. Rule of thumb for Kojima is that a game is only canon when he holds more than a producer role.

The story was rewritten by Platinum when it shifted hands so it's a very shaky sort of canon. But this is not a game that you get only because you really wanted to find out about Raiden's story after MGS4. This is the game you get to enjoy the cathartic release of slashing up a cyborg into 1,000 pieces with sick air combos and reliving the dream of playing as a cyborg ninja since MGS1's hallway scene/MGS:VR's Cyborg missions/fantasizing about Olga's armpit hair/watching Raiden battle Vamp with crazy gymnastic dance routines. If you like MGS storylines, you'll probably be pretty pleased, but in true Platinum style it comes second to experience of play.

It's not like the other Metal Gear games.

Do you like Devil May Cry series or Bayonetta? If so, get Rising.
If not,
get Rising.

My man.

HoosTrax

Grief claims this game won't spoiler the fourth MGS game, which I haven't played yet, for me, so my finger is hovering above the buy the button. I hated Jack
in the second game (or maybe I just was disappointed not to see Snake as much)
, but I'm a sucker for near-future sci-fi settings / robotics / PMCs. (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Binary Domain).

Herne

Then this is a great place to start ... get Rising.

Go get DMC HD Collection and a (preferably 360) copy of Bayonetta. Right now.

Rising is good too, but nowhere near DMC1/3/Bayo.

Not really interested in DMC or Bayonetta, I game pretty exclusively on pc and Nintendo so these games never come across my radar. But I'm not really interested to begin with - I'm not going to be getting Bayonetta 2 for my Wii U, for example.

As for Rising, I'll wait for reviews to see how the port went, but I'm very suspicious of console ports in general. Even if it's ported well, I can well imagine that the character's movements are still more suited to an analogue stick rather than a mouse, and... meh. But, we'll see.

Just waiting for reviews :)

Grief.exe

Go get DMC HD Collection and a (preferably 360) copy of Bayonetta. Right now.

Rising is good too, but nowhere near DMC1/3/Bayo.

DMC3/4 are available on Steam as well.

DMC4 is a perfect port, while DMC3 needs some work on the side to get functioning to perfect standards.

Grief claims this game won't spoiler the fourth MGS game, which I haven't played yet, for me, so my finger is hovering above the buy the button. I hated Jack
in the second game (or maybe I just was disappointed not to see Snake as much)
, but I'm a sucker for near-future sci-fi settings / robotics / PMCs. (Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Binary Domain).

Never
Trust
Grief

TP

another giveaway
we can never have too many giveaways

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747872.
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Metal Gear Rising 4 -- MB-ACBC773AD5F9D1FB - Taken by Anteater. 100 entrants total.
Metal Gear Rising 3 -- MB-60D04287807C85CE - Taken by Zushin. 104 entrants total.
Metal Gear Rising -- MB-08BBD06183E60B90 - Taken by patrickthehedgehog. 95 entrants total.
Metal Gear Rising 2 -- MB-AF33EF9D23AF9142 - Taken by Evo X. 88 entrants total.

t1389308949z1.png

Before you enter please make sure you can run the game and that you plan on playing it
MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlog

Not really interested in DMC or Bayonetta, I game pretty exclusively on pc and Nintendo so these games never come across my radar. But I'm not really interested to begin with - I'm not going to be getting Bayonetta 2 for my Wii U, for example.

As for Rising, I'll wait for reviews to see how the port went, but I'm very suspicious of console ports in general. Even if it's ported well, I can well imagine that the character's movements are still more suited to an analogue stick rather than a mouse, and... meh. But, we'll see.

I can't believe I'm depressed from reading something in this thread.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Did you like the Wonderful 101?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Sorry!

No, not at all.

Hmm. Well, what do you typically play? Stylish character action games aren't for everyone, but if you like responsive controls, fast paced gameplay, over the top cutscenes and action, and combat depth, you might enjoy them.

MGR isn't a typical MGS game, though.

GrizzNKev

Banned
another giveaway
we can never have too many giveaways

Before you enter please make sure you can run the game and that you plan on playing it
MGR doesn't deserve to be at the end of a backlog

Entered! Was going to buy it but I'll give this a whirl before spending.

Herne

Hmm. Well, what do you typically play? Stylish character action games aren't for everyone, but if you like responsive controls, fast paced gameplay, over the top cutscenes and action, and combat depth, you might enjoy them.

MGR isn't a typical MGS game, though.

I play a lot of different games, really... I play Total War, Paradox Interactive stuff (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, etc.), Hitman, GTA, Mount & Blade (daily!), Zelda, Mass Effect/Dragon Age, Payday, Kerbal Space Program, fps games (CoD, Battlefield), Nintendo games such as Zelda and Mario Kart...

I'm most comfortable when gaming on my pc. I keep the Wii U down in the living room so I can have a laugh with friends in Nintendoland or Super Mario 3D World, but I have to say I don't play it a lot because it's down there. Every now and then I'll spend a few hours with Wind Waker, or Zombie U, or any of the eShop games I have on there, but if I had it up sitting next to my pc it would probably get a lot more attention.

Ya know, a lot of the game has changed completely, but the really old VGA 2011 trailer still gets me hype:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNo8h-KfAU

I just remember watching it dumbfounded when it first came out. And they revealed the "Revengeance" titlecard.

I was in one of the final meetings about this trailer (they wanted to get opinions of the staff), and I remember telling KJP that I thought it looked really nice, and had me hyped up. Our initial sentiment reports came back extremely negative. I'm actually really glad some people at least like it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I love the original VGA 2011 trailer (and the dev diary that came out around the same time) if just because it shows the earliest conceptualisation and testing of Platinum's Rising build, before stuff was cut, changed, and reworked for the final game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
The generosity surrounding the launch of this game is severely unmatched. I don't think I've seen a single game get flung around in so many giveaways pre-launch like this, in both the Steam thread and Official Topic.

Much love to those makin it rain lightning.

Gbraga

I was in one of the final meetings about this trailer (they wanted to get opinions of the staff), and I remember telling KJP that I thought it looked really nice, and had me hyped up. Our initial sentiment reports came back extremely negative. I'm actually really glad some people at least like it.

Are you kidding me? That trailer was super hype.

THIS IS MY NORMAL. THIS IS MY NATURE.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I play a lot of different games, really... I play Total War, Paradox Interactive stuff (Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, etc.), Hitman, GTA, Mount & Blade (daily!), Zelda, Mass Effect/Dragon Age, Payday, Kerbal Space Program, fps games (CoD, Battlefield), Nintendo games such as Zelda and Mario Kart...

I'm most comfortable when gaming on my pc. I keep the Wii U down in the living room so I can have a laugh with friends in Nintendoland or Super Mario 3D World, but I have to say I don't play it a lot because it's down there. Every now and then I'll spend a few hours with Wind Waker, or Zombie U, or any of the eShop games I have on there, but if I had it up sitting next to my pc it would probably get a lot more attention.

It's difficult to tell if you'd like MGR since you don't really play action games. Unlike a lot of the games you listed, where the depth of the game might stem from malleable plot, choices/consequences, macro strategy, puzzle solving, or upgrade paths, action games' depth are largely in their combat. spectacle, and style.

I think you'll just have to try it someday for yourself, because you won't know until the controller is in your hands.

I loved it. It was so outrageous that I couldn't help but loop it a few times. I can understand why some people would dislike it, though. The tone shift was a dramatic one, and a lot of people weren't prepared for it. The trailer left us with a lot of questions.

Honestly, there was going to be mixed reactions no matter what in the transition from Metal Gear Solid: Rising to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

DMC3/4 are available on Steam as well.

DMC4 is a perfect port, while DMC3 needs some work on the side to get functioning to perfect standards.

DMC3 HD from the collection is miles better than DMC3 PC port or just playing through PCSX2.

DMC4 on PC is fucking boss. One of the best ports I own.

Not really interested in DMC or Bayonetta, I game pretty exclusively on pc and Nintendo so these games never come across my radar.

I respect that but you're missing out big time. This is why the Nintendo/PC combo is not ideal.

Clawww

After being able to play with more characters in the DLC, just Raiden won't be enough.

We need Mahou Shoujo Sunnytan as a playable character. Shit's gonna be RADICAL.

well, they gotta do something with those anarchy reigns assets/movesets. too good to leave to the ages

Top Bottom