• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Nyoro SF

No way can voice acting be a minus! Sundowner himself has a glorious troll voice. GG Crispin Freeman lol

"I'M FUCKIN INVINCIBLE"

So, I just beat Monsoon, but it was perhaps the most shitty, unskillful, boring battle of attrition boss fight I've ever played. Am I missing something? Seems like block as much as you can, and then attack and sometimes hit him when the game decides you can hit him.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So, I just beat Monsoon, but it was perhaps the most shitty, unskillful, boring battle of attrition boss fight I've ever played. Am I missing something? Seems like block as much as you can, and then attack and sometimes hit him when the game decides you can hit him.

You can use EMP grenades when he goes invul

but even knowing that the fight is still pretty lame imo.

Sundowner sucks but after that the rest of the bosses in the game(main campaign and DLC) are all great. So it's only up from here

Levyne

Banned

I felt kind of the same way before I asked here. The trick is to use emp grenades. Up to that point I had only very rarely used any of the sub weapons so it didn't occur to me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The sub weapon VR ones can suck a lemon by the way. Dislike the two I have to beat.

Id watch some videos to learn enemy spawn patterns and watch where people throw/shoot to take them out.

Congrats on clearing 19 btw. That was the hardest one for me

Monsoon is like the best boss fight in the game, no idea where the hate is coming from. Using EMPs is also super obvious since A) The game magically spawn some for you during the fight. and B) I'm pretty sure they tell that on the codec if you bother using it.

Newboi

This game is just crazy fun, but the camera is unreasonably frustrating. Lock on does virtually nothing. The camera has automatically faced away from the enemies I'm trying to fight more often than not. It has a horrible time keeping track of anything you try to lock on to and if you don't lock on it's even worse. I get hit more often purely because the camera suddenly loses track of an enemy I'm trying to fight more than just that my timing or situational awareness was bad. trying to parry as the camera suddenly does a 180 completely botches it.

JoeFenix

DLC 27 was probably the hardest for me, that's alot of Zandatsu's and the time limit is actually pretty strict.

Only a couple of the VR missions are fun on replays though but that comes with the territory. Once you've "solved" them they're not exactly fun to run through.

The grenade throwing one was pretty annoying, on the PS3 version I must have gotten lucky and did it really fast but here it took me a good 10 retries. I guess at the end of the day your tolerance/enjoyment of the VR missions come down to how much patience you have. I think most of them are decent with only a couple of bad ones and the combat based ones I find legitimately fun.

It's like going for S-Ranks in the main game, you'll need a certain mindset to have fun doing it.

never block him, always be attacking, em grenades when he goes invuln.

Sober

When he is all purple smoke, you can't hit him short of EMP grenading him out of it or parrying away his attacks there.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, the first cyborg boss you kill is straight the coolest and meanwhile the shittier ones (save Sam) keep escaping or not dying left and right.

Fuck that.
Mistral was so awesomely designed and interesting.

Also, please tell me
Mexican Raiden
is a secret costume

DAMNIT THE SUNDOWNER FIGHT IS ANNOYING :(

Loved that fight. Unlike other boss fights I've played so far, secondary threats like the helicopter are easily dealt with and you don't have to fight the camera too much. Maybe it's different on higher difficulties. Even the repeated explosive deaths due to my poor cutting skills didn't stop me from enjoying it.

Jintor

it's not a case of the chopper being a threat, it's a case of the blasted thing firing its piddly little machine gun and doing 0.6% damage and wrecking your no damage rating. And you can't auto-blast the thing thing with a SAM launcher because the auto-targeting is fucked.

19 is way more random/dumb than 18. Atleast 18 actually lets me hit things.

Hmmm, I have way more trouble on 18.
I just had an attempt where the wolf did take out both heavies in wave 3... and I had him cornered with the lunge attacks they hate... only to have a dwarf gekko sneak up behind me and grab me. By the time I shook out, that asshole wolf had hopped back and threw daggers. Run over.

Next run, managet to get back there, mix up the strategy a little and start with a charged pincer blade attack 2. I puts the heavy in full blue (maybe even execution) but I'm not close enough to finish the deal (and I'm under the impression that he's going to die because the full blue was caused by wolf knife). Wolf hits the second heavy and definitely kills it. I track wolf to corner with the stinger move and start wailing on him... out of the corner of my view comes a hammer -- I use dodge, but the i-frames aren't enough and BAM. Dead.

The worst part of 19, mostly, is dealing with the last wave of 4 wolves -- if you're unlucky, they'll hit each other with knives and then you failed to kill one with zandatsu. That's really annoying, but 19 was much easier for me than 18... both on PS3 and now on PC.

it's not a case of the chopper being a threat, it's a case of the blasted thing firing its piddly little machine gun and doing 0.6% damage and wrecking your no damage rating. And you can't auto-blast the thing thing with a SAM launcher because the auto-targeting is fucked.

All you have to do is avoid Sundowner's initial charge, pull up the homing missle, lock on the heli, and boom, it's gone. You can kill Sundowner or at least get him to the checkpoint where he no longer has the shield before another shows up.

Even funnier is one spawns with him when the checkpoint cutscene happens, but if you restart, it goes back to being no heli. :)

Side note -- when you say "auto-blast" do you mean double tap r2 with homing missle? There's no reason a quickfire should be locked on to any target (unless it's heat seaking, but these aren't. ;) ).

Zeliard

You don't even need to use a homing missile on the Sundowner helicopter. Just Ninja Run up to it after punishing Sundowner's initial charge and then air slash it to death.

Grief.exe

'Competent, but not awe-inspiring port'

I can agree with this.

From the Digital Foundry article on Metal Gear Rising

Taken as a first step of a much grander initiative though, this is still a small victory for Konami. Revengeance on PC won't go down in the annals of videogame history as the most luxurious of ports, but with enough commercial success this could be the springboard for greater efforts on PC in the future. And with Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and Lords of Shadow 2 already confirmed for a Windows release, that can be no bad thing.

I hope its not just a mistake and something that hasn't been released yet.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metal-gear-revengeance-pc

Hmmm, I have way more trouble on 18.
I just had an attempt where the wolf did take out both heavies in wave 3... and I had him cornered with the lunge attacks they hate... only to have a dwarf gekko sneak up behind me and grab me. By the time I shook out, that asshole wolf had hopped back and threw daggers. Run over.

Next run, managet to get back there, mix up the strategy a little and start with a charged pincer blade attack 2. I puts the heavy in full blue (maybe even execution) but I'm not close enough to finish the deal (and I'm under the impression that he's going to die because the full blue was caused by wolf knife). Wolf hits the second heavy and definitely kills it. I track wolf to corner with the stinger move and start wailing on him... out of the corner of my view comes a hammer -- I use dodge, but the i-frames aren't enough and BAM. Dead.

The worst part of 19, mostly, is dealing with the last wave of 4 wolves -- if you're unlucky, they'll hit each other with knives and then you failed to kill one with zandatsu. That's really annoying, but 19 was much easier for me than 18... both on PS3 and now on PC.

All you have to do is avoid Sundowner's initial charge, pull up the homing missle, lock on the heli, and boom, it's gone. You can kill Sundowner or at least get him to the checkpoint where he no longer has the shield before another shows up.

Even funnier is one spawns with him when the checkpoint cutscene happens, but if you restart, it goes back to being no heli. :)

Side note -- when you say "auto-blast" do you mean double tap r2 with homing missle? There's no reason a quickfire should be locked on to any target (unless it's heat seaking, but these aren't. ;) ).

Oh yeah, I confused 17 with 19. I got 19 on my third try, it's the easiest of the "hard" missions.

17 was just tedious and dumb, and makes you fight enemies with tools that the game never intended you to use.

Anyone have an issue with Shadowplay only recording half of the vertical resolution? Video saved as 1920x540 for some reason.

It's not that it's changing the aspect ratio, it's that it's cropping the top and bottom.

edit: should probably have posted this in the shadowplay thread as it might not be specific to this game

Jintor

What? The SAM missiles lock onto whatever your target lock happens to be. You can't easily target lock the chopper though because Sundowner's priority is so high or something.

I didn't realise the chopper was close enough to cut. I'll try that out.

Hypron

What? The SAM missiles lock onto whatever your target lock happens to be. You can't easily target lock the chopper though because Sundowner's priority is so high or something.

I didn't realise the chopper was close enough to cut. I'll try that out.

It almost looks like you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you can lock onto the chopper. It's pretty annoying.

Anteater

dog is so weak in raiden's campaign, it didn't even have a chance to fight back

then I got kicked in the face by a metal gear :<

Jintor

It almost looks like you have to wait for a certain amount of time before you can lock onto the chopper. It's pretty annoying.

And while you're looking at the chopper...

tumblr_mzj6iox2YK1t9w1zpo1_400.gif

Top Bottom