• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

What's the major difference between very hard and hard :eek:

Already covered, but remixed enemies, higher damage, etc.

Hm ok. I know that getting all the customization items unlocked means I'll have to gold them all, but not sure if I'll be able to. I know I did try VR01 and was 20 sec off the gold time, so I missed that pretty bad!

The first mission is one of the hardest to gold... other than the 17/18/19 trifecta, IMO.

The enemy layouts are remixed and there are several tweaks, IIRC the perfect parry window is a lot shorter and enemies are more aggressive. Revengeance is the same layout as Very Hard but with a rule change that your parry does like 100000000x damage and enemies do a ton of damage as well (kind of like Heaven or Hell but way more fun).

Easy, Normal, and Hard have the same layouts I think.

Correct.

I would think you can dodge through the sphere wave that comes out of the EMP ball, but I haven't tried it. Since you can dodge other AOE attacks like that, I think it is possible.

dodge move backwards/away from the ball/emp.

You will never see Bayonetta 2 or TW101 on a non-Nintendo console. It was completely funded and published by them.

Never say never. People said we'd never see Mass Effect (original) on PS3... and yet, now it exists. It probably depends on publishing rights, licensing, etc.

Highly unlikely. But I wouldn't say it's impossible.

---

Nobody has tips for me on wave 3 of VR18 (specifically dealing with the laser blasts from the damn dog)?

TnK

On Revengeance
samhired2i8zxk.png

Was the same as Very Hard, and I killed him much much faster this time.

BadWolf

Never say never. People said we'd never see Mass Effect (original) on PS3... and yet, now it exists. It probably depends on publishing rights, licensing, etc.

Highly unlikely. But I wouldn't say it's impossible.

It is impossible, Nintendo fully funded the development of those games.

It is impossible, Nintendo fully funded the development of those games.

There was a time when Sonic games being on anything other than a Sega console was impossible too. And then Sega backed out of the hardware race and started developing for every platform under the sun.

Companies will go where there's money to be made. There may come a time when Nintendo stops making consoles too. And then what happens?

So again, is it highly unlikely? You bet.
Is it impossible? I think not.

Whats up with the last Boss, massive difficulty spike making him nearly impossible and I have no health items grr. Is there anyway to get health items without deleting my save and restarting another chapter?

Whats up with the last Boss, massive difficulty spike making him nearly impossible and I have no health items grr. Is there anyway to get health items without deleting my save and restarting another chapter?

Play defensively to get him to the point where he jumps up and starts tossing debris at you.
Cut the debris and successfully finish the zandatsu sequence and there will be 4 nanopastes on the ground.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, boss was cake once I realized the debris drops nanopastes.

I should really play through the game again but I have so many others I want to play. I see people no-damaging bosses and S ranking revengeance and here I am with only a B average normal mode playthough. I am not worthy.

Does Revengeance have different waves or enemy behavior than Very Hard?

Higher damage -- not sure about the rest, other than parrying attacks leads to 100x damage (or something like that) where you can just about 1 shot bosses and stuff.

--

Are Sam's VR missions optional? If so, what's the point of doing them?

Volcynika

Yep, boss was cake once I realized the debris drops nanopastes.

I should really play through the game again but I have so many others I want to play. I see people no-damaging bosses and S ranking revengeance and here I am with only a B average normal mode playthough. I am not worthy.

I'm just making January the month of Rising and moving onto other games once I complete the achievements I think I can, or it just gets to Feb.

Zep

Banned

Offensive/Defensive (X+A+direction) and spamming Y+X+X(Spinning sword strike)

After about 50 tries I got him to the throwing boulder stage(he goes into it at 159 health) in less than a minute. Trust me you can do it with no health...It just takes practice with offensive/defensive and patience with the camera.

Also, when he starts
glowing green, slash his back in cutting mode

Play defensively to get him to the point where he jumps up and starts tossing debris at you.
Cut the debris and successfully finish the zandatsu sequence and there will be 4 nanopastes on the ground.
Problem is Im having a hard time lineing up the slash accurately enough the time frame doesnt seem long enough and its very frustrating :(

Grief.exe

Problem is Im having a hard time lineing up the slash accurately enough the time frame doesnt seem long enough and its very frustrating :(

Ya that section exposed my weakness in that aspect pretty quickly.

Change to control System B, it changes nothing except moving the angle of your slice to the left stick and the camera to the right stick.

To aim your blade rotate the left analog stick around the outside of its axis, let go when you have the angle you want to perform the strike. Use the right stick for fine tuning.

Zep

Banned

Had the same issue dude. When he goes up top to throw the rock, start running backwards(don't sprint because it puts your sword away) now press LT to start lining up the slash. This is what worked for me.

When I stood still and didn't run back, I would slash the first rock but then the other two would be offscreen because it seemed I was too close?

Ya that section exposed my weakness in that aspect pretty quickly.

Change to control System B, it changes nothing except moving the angle of your slice to the left stick and the camera to the right stick.

To aim your blade rotate the left analog stick around the outside of its axis, let go when you have the angle you want to perform the strike. Use the right stick for fine tuning.

That sounds alot easier will try that later

Yeah I think it's a skill that goes very underdeveloped by most players as it wasn't really needed for most of the game. Personally after a while of cutting people to ribbons, I preferred to line up my shots carefully so I got pretty decent at aiming with blade mode. Also Sundowner is sort of a practice version, but again, it's not necessary so if you didn't do it there then Armstrong will kick your ass.

One hard-to-notice different between VH and REV is that enemies are 5x more aggressive.

From what I can recall from the official guide, Normal enemies has a 1.0 aggressiveness index, VH 2.0-3.0, and REV 8.0-10.0. It's hard to notice because VH enemies are plenty aggressive already enough.

As for the counterparry damage, an unupgraded HF blade does 30 damage in E/N/H/VH, and 400 in REV (adjust damage depending on blade used, and upgrade level). 13.3x damage, basically.

Is
Armstrong
's finishing (10% health) QTE suppose to be super fast or something? I can barely hit blade mode before getting hit in the face. >_>

Revven

Just finished the game on Hard. I goofed a few times on Armstrong when it came to cutting the boulders but I got through it.

Man, though, fighting Excelsus with an completely non-upgraded HF Blade was tough even though I've fought it before. Definitely a welcoming difficulty increase if you've beaten it on Hard before and wanted to replicate some kind of difficulty.

Might play Blade Wolf later or start another playthrough on Easy to get stuff that I missed (Storage Devices and Left Hands).

Levyne

Banned
To be fair the dodge probably should have not been something you had to purchase or unlock. But at this point so many people have pointed to it that I'm unsure how you don't run into learning about its existence.

Grief.exe

To be fair the dodge probably should have not been something you had to purchase or unlock. But at this point so many people have pointed to it that I'm unsure how you don't run into learning about its existence.

I knew about it from GAF, but something like that should have been available from the start and in the tutorial.

I do appreciate the hands off approach, but not to that extent.

Ok... I can now get Armstrong under 100% consistently but there are two things that I just cannot reliably dodge:

1. The pillars of lava that curve towards you. I always seem to get caught at the bend so even if I dodge through it I still end up inside the lava.

2. His unblockable charge up and explode move. I just can't get the timing down to dodge through it each time and it's random when he does it so I can't always be far enough away for it to miss me.

And the amount of fucking times he does his fucking health recharge move right after he's knocked my fucking sword out of my fucking hands, YOU BASTARD ARMSTRONG. There's no way around that other than using blade mode on his back, right?

Christ, I haven't banged my head against a boss this much in ages.

On a positive note, this really helped:

Zep said:
...spamming Y+X+X(Spinning sword strike)

That definitely staggers Armstrong out of attacks more often than anything else I've tried.

Dahbomb

1. The pillars of lava that curve towards you. I always seem to get caught at the bend so even if I dodge through it I still end up inside the lava.

2. His unblockable charge up and explode move. I just can't get the timing down to dodge through it each time and it's random when he does it so I can't always be far enough away for it to miss me.
1) Ninja Run around him but don't ninja run around being too far away. If you are ninja running away from him at around mid range then you will dodge his stuff more accurately. You can also jump in ninja run to increase your evasiveness.

2) You dodge the unblockable charge move by dodging backwards twice (basically just neutral stance dodge). Even if you do it a bit late, you will be able to dodge the explosion with the 2nd dodge's invincibility frame.

Zep

Banned
Ok... I can now get Armstrong under 100% consistently but there are two things that I just cannot reliably dodge:

And the amount of fucking times he does his fucking health recharge move right after he's knocked my fucking sword out of my fucking hands, YOU BASTARD ARMSTRONG. There's no way around that other than using blade mode on his back, right?

That definitely staggers Armstrong out of attacks more often than anything else I've tried.

Blade mode on his back should have him kneeling for a good 10 seconds where you can unleash and ass whooping.

When hes down to 100% its a cakewalk, especially if you got nanopaste. Basically becomes a QTE fight after a few blows.

Use Defensive Offense a lot. Trust me, I died like 20 times to get the timing right, but everything you see him doing an attack use Defensive Offense, DON'T DASH TO HIM, sometimes he uses the charge-kick attack and you can't parry while dashing.

You can use Offensive Defense against most of his attacks except the fire pillars thingy. If you see him charging, but no other notable thing, he will use the fire shock attack on the ground; if he's charging and you see the ground shattered, he's gonna do the delayed fire cracks move, this move is pretty safe so feel free to keep slashing at him; if he's charging and there's this red whirlwind, he will use the fire pillars.

As soon as you see him glow yellow use Offensive Defense twice to get away for him for easy evasion.

tl;dr don't bother parrying, just use learn the timing on the dodging move.

zhorkat

Armstrong's first phase got a lot easier once I remembered this is Metal Gear Rising, where you can parry anything that isn't yellow.

TGMIII

How do you guys effectively counter all of the attacks that come at you simultaneously in VH/R?

I think in a sense you need to be a little more passive on VH and espically revengeance. If there's ever a situation were multiple enemies are going to be attacking at once and they're not all instantly killable with a perfect parry I just dodge out and pick my spots carefully.

Is your framerate constant? I've found that if you go below 27/25 fps you will be unable to do the final qte.

This is what I was going to mention -- someone said that lower than 25 or something was screwing up QTEs... and the framerate in that video looks to chug at points.

Any tips on parrying multiple hits consistently? Like when I am fighting Sam I can block his first, then he tags me with the second, then I block the third hit and sometimes block the last one. I guess its a timing issue I need to get more use to but its really annoying.

Top Bottom