• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Lumine

I found a way to get health items for those who are stuck at Armstrong. You can unlock the white custom body. Equipping it will give you 10 nanopaste. Yeah, it allows you to carry twice as much. So if you consider this cheating you can now switch back to the default custom body and you will have 5 nanopaste. Makes Armstrong a lot more doable.

Any tips on parrying multiple hits consistently? Like when I am fighting Sam I can block his first, then he tags me with the second, then I block the third hit and sometimes block the last one. I guess its a timing issue I need to get more use to but its really annoying.

Yes, it's a timing/rhythm issue, really.
If you're content blocking, spam it a little early, as the animation for the blocking holds.
If you're trying for the counter, there's a timing window for it; usually it's the last moment before you get hit to put in the toward+light command.

With the combo Sam's doing, it's strike, strike, pause, strike, strike... so you just need to learn when to enter the command (or spam it... ;) ).

I found a way to get health items for those who are stuck at Armstrong. You can unlock the white custom body. Equipping it will give you 10 nanopaste. Yeah, it allows you to carry twice as much. So if you consider this cheating you can now switch back to the default custom body and you will have 5 nanopaste. Makes Armstrong a lot more doable.

Yeah, the white and red armor definitely come with bonuses -- the white doubles healing, the red doubles sub-weapons, I think. I'm not sure if the Camo one (that seems new... I don't remember that for PS3) might have damage reduction, but that's just a guess.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Going by the Green Man Gaming and Steam sellers list, Tony at Amazon saying that it sold beyond his, already lofty, expectations, and the concurrent player count, very well.

Tora has said that he can't release sales information directly, and Kellams has said that he doesn't have access at all.

I think what will ultimately hurt sales potential is the port having some minor issues and that Always Online bullshit.

Got a link to Tony's comments? I'm hopeful that the game continues to do well.

I'm not sure if it's because I already had zero nanopastes or that I'm playing on hard, but this doesn't replenish any nanopastes for me.

RPGCrazied

Haven't played it, just ordered the PS3 version. I know this is the PC thread, but the game is the same so might as well post in here.

I hear the codec is back in this one, this delights me. Such a bummer in 4 where it wasn't used that much but a few times.

Is there VR missions in the game, or is it just DLC ones?

Also, Raiden is my favorite MGS character, so I hope to learn more about him.

Any tips on parrying multiple hits consistently? Like when I am fighting Sam I can block his first, then he tags me with the second, then I block the third hit and sometimes block the last one. I guess its a timing issue I need to get more use to but its really annoying.

He has 4 combos with different attack strings/holes. It's not like Monsoon's combo where you pay all the his sequentially. Keep an eye out and don't immediately parry when you see the red glint

Volcynika

Haven't played it, just ordered the PS3 version. I know this is the PC thread, but the game is the same so might as well post in here.

I hear the codec is back in this one, this delights me. Such a bummer in 4 where it wasn't used that much but a few times.

Is there VR missions in the game, or is it just DLC ones?

Also, Raiden is my favorite MGS character, so I hope to learn more about him.

There are VR missions normal to the main game, I think 20 of them.

TnK

I keep thinking that I have played this game way too much, 31 hours in the PS3 version, and almost 23 hours in the PC version. I then remember that I have put about 76 hours in bayonetta 1, and things don't seem too bad, lol.

I am getting a bit burnt out. I need a small break.

Jintor

I keep thinking that I have played this game way too much, 31 hours in the PS3 version, and almost 23 hours in the PC version. I then remember that I have put about 76 hours in bayonetta 1, and things don't seem too bad, lol.

I have probably around 200 hours in Bayo, but it stops counting at 99 hours and 59 min I think. There was a month there where I was doing daily Lost Chapter runs to go as far as possible. I've only reached the end-boss three times and have never beaten her though :T

TnK

I have probably around 200 hours in Bayo, but it stops counting at 99 hours and 59 min I think. There was a month there where I was doing daily Lost Chapter runs to go as far as possible. I've only reached the end-boss three times and have never beaten her though :T

That's kinda nuts dude. I have finished Bayo in every difficulty above normal, and the only things left is beating both Rodin (I have not unlocked the fight yet, will postpone this a week before 2 is out) and apparently the lost chapter. What is the lost chapter? I have never unlocked this.

Jintor

It's a challenge mode of five verses. Each verse is composed of multiple enemy encounters. First verse is normal, then hard, then it's locked to infinite climax difficulty for the last three verses I think.

No health recovery between rounds or anything. It's a real bitch, it's pretty much required to use the taunt health recovery item to survive.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I played around 65-70 hours on the 360. I've clocked in at least 300 hours of DMC3 total. Action games are the gift that keep on giving.

Gbraga

To be fair the dodge probably should have not been something you had to purchase or unlock. But at this point so many people have pointed to it that I'm unsure how you don't run into learning about its existence.

Maybe, but how the fuck do you review a character action game without even purchasing and testing your skills?

Seriously, HOW THE FUCK?

What's next, they also have no idea that there is such a concept as remixed enemy waves?

If anything, the game's biggest flaw when it comes to the upgrades is that it doesn't give you the notation on the same page, and it should, at least pressing a button, instead of making you go to another menu entirely.

That said, you have to overcome the game's shortcomings in order to properly criticize it. How can you say the game does a poor job teaching you the commands if you have no idea that you even had those commands?

It's no surprise that cinematic AAA crap is the shit right now, no effort required, just follow the story and you got all the depth the game has in one playthrough.

Well, lowering the graphic details to medium made the QTE possible. FINALLY

To be honest, I don't know how to do a few of those skills myself, since they never show the command, or I'm blind.

Maybe, but how the fuck do you review a character action game without even purchasing and testing your skills?

Seriously, HOW THE FUCK?

What's next, they also have no idea that there is such a concept as remixed enemy waves?

If anything, the game's biggest flaw when it comes to the upgrades is that it doesn't give you the notation on the same page, and it should, at least pressing a button, instead of making you go to another menu entirely.

That said, you have to overcome the game's shortcomings in order to properly criticize it. How can you say the game does a poor job teaching you the commands if you have no idea that you even had those commands?

It's no surprise that cinematic AAA crap is the shit right now, no effort required, just follow the story and you got all the depth the game has in one playthrough.

I agree.

MGR teaches you the commands you need to know, by telling you in the codec conversations and then they instruct you to access the VR training modules for them. The dodge mechanic isn't necessary to complete the game, so it's a move you can purchase to unlock.

The first thing I did as soon as I got out of R00 was try to find and buy skills, cause, y'know, I've played a character action game before. :lol

Is using Ripper Mode to S Rank Revengeance cheating? It's so strong and in the VR Missions they don't give you it.

Not really. Just cause you have ripper mode on doesn't guarantee you S-Rank.
You still have to not take damage, achieve combo goals, etc.

If it were that easy, people would just use the fox blade. It's an abuse-able mechanic... but it's not the easy button to getting S-ranks everywhere.

Pause the game, go to help, there's the move list.

Exactly. :)

Volcynika

And with this...

FS7Dc4P.png

I no-damage'd all the bosses. Hooray!

Hm ok. I know that getting all the customization items unlocked means I'll have to gold them all, but not sure if I'll be able to. I know I did try VR01 and was 20 sec off the gold time, so I missed that pretty bad!

It's not that bad but the window to get a gold is tiny. If you haven't already done it. This is what you've gotta do

1. Slide and go into blade mode killing the first 3 dudes
2. Line yourself up with where the gekko spawns. Hope to god it does a kick so you can parry counter it to kill it immediately.
3. Equip Mistral weapon and attack the remaining enemies to quickly build meter. When you've filled it Blade mode execute them with out Zandatsu. Ideally you'll want to kill as many as possible in a single instance of blade mode but they tend to scatter.

I got 37s or so following this strategy. Main issue is getting the parry counter but once you get that its gravy.

Volcynika

It's not that bad but the window to get a gold is tiny. If you haven't already done it. This is what you've gotta do

1. Slide and go into blade mode killing the first 3 dudes
2. Line yourself up with where the gekko spawns. Hope to god it does a kick so you can parry counter it to kill it immediately.
3. Equip Mistral weapon and attack the remaining enemies to quickly build meter. When you've filled it Blade mode execute them with out Zandatsu. Ideally you'll want to kill as many as possible in a single instance of blade mode but they tend to scatter.

I got 37s or so following this strategy. Main issue is getting the parry counter but once you get that its gravy.

I equipped the pincers in the customize menu and was able to bring them in there and made it much easier!

Though the first VR mission where you throw grenades at the little robots is ANNOYING. Arg I suck at that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I am at Armstrong with zero nanopaste, am I fucked?

It's doable without nanopaste, but if you're really hurting:

Chop the debris that gets tossed at you, pick up the nanopaste that gets dropped, call Courtney and save. Those nanopaste will be in your inventory if you die.

The Wolf fight really shows how fantastic Sam's dodge move is. It's so fast, and there's almost no recovery on it. Blade Wolf will just bounce off your sword if you're parrying, and he's so aggressive that he'll be halfway through another attack before you can close distance with him, but with Sam's dodge you can stay relatively close to him through the whole fight and chip away with light attacks. Wolf's orange-glowing lunge move is the only one I was able to perfect parry, so I just waited for that, perfect parried and then used the few moments of downtime to charge up a heavy slash.

It's a huge change of pace from the main game, though. I probably died ten times straight on that fight before I started getting used to the way Sam plays. I'm sure the actual pro way to win that fight is by taunting and styling it up, but I'm still too much of a scrub with Sam to taunt effectively :p

The Wolf fight really shows how fantastic Sam's dodge move is. It's so fast, and there's almost no recovery on it. Blade Wolf will just bounce off your sword if you're parrying, and he's so aggressive that he'll be halfway through another attack before you can close distance with him, but with Sam's dodge you can stay relatively close to him through the whole fight and chip away with light attacks. Wolf's orange-glowing lunge move is the only one I was able to perfect parry, so I just waited for that, perfect parried and then used the few moments of downtime to charge up a heavy slash.

It's a huge change of pace from the main game, though. I probably died ten times straight on that fight before I started getting used to the way Sam plays.
Yea i started to figure out that dodging him and chipping is the way to go.

JoeFenix

Does Sam have dodge offset?

He doesn't.

You can quickly set up his charged moves by doing a ninja run into light or heavy and then holding down heavy to charge it up though. It's a faster way to buffer the charged strikes basically.

A nice hit and run tactic is to taunt enemies and then ninja run away while holding down heavy to quickly charge the ranged sword slash. It can break enemy armor really quickly and makes short work of otherwise annoying opponents.

Another thing that people might not be aware of is that Sam can do ranged Zandatsus. Just go into blade mode and hold down heavy attack to charge it up. Line up your cut as usual and Sam will immediately dash to the target to perform the cut. It feels pretty badass :)

Skinpop

beat it the other day.

Didn't even know about the dodge until I read about it here now(even though I bought it), would have made things a lot easier...

Had a very hard time on monsoon since I didn't know you could use nano paste to heal, finally found out about it and beat him on first try after that.

I beat Armstrong by mass-spamming the slidekick + heavy overhead attack combo. He never blocked it. Was also possible to dodge almost all his attacks using the slide. Zandatsu part was a pain in the ass(where I failed most of the times), difficult to reliably line it up with the analogue stick.

Loved the game, but it has its issues. Is it possible to skip the in game walking cut scenes? They take up a lot of time and I don't look forward to going through them again on a second play through.

Loved the ridiculous story and action, havn't had this much fun with a game in a while.

Jintor

Another thing that people might not be aware of is that Sam can do ranged Zandatsus. Just go into blade mode and hold down heavy attack to charge it up. Line up your cut as usual and Sam will immediately dash to the target to perform the cut. It feels pretty badass :)

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

holy shiiiit

z1ggy

Finished it again today, second run right after i killed Amstrong for the first time. Best boss fight and he actually has some reasons for what he is trying to acomplish

Still, i need more PG. I think i'm in love with them.

+ Best soundtrack of 2013/14 (DmC being close enough)
+ Best boss fights in a long time
+ Optimized port
+ Good use of QTEs (finally)
+ Dat action
+ Blade Wolf
+ Herr Doktor

- Camera
- Voice acting (yet it's funny i must admit)
- Game doesn´t tell you too much about some relevent mechanics stuff (parry and block)
- Only tops 1080p (at least without tweaking stuff)

Sober

Ya that section exposed my weakness in that aspect pretty quickly.

Change to control System B, it changes nothing except moving the angle of your slice to the left stick and the camera to the right stick.

To aim your blade rotate the left analog stick around the outside of its axis, let go when you have the angle you want to perform the strike. Use the right stick for fine tuning.
Layout B and D are superior because you can actually hold the angle with LS and use a face button to slash the angle. I found most times with something as precise as that or doing Sundowner properly, I would twitch letting go of the stick and fuck up the angle.

Finished it again today, second run right after i killed Amstrong for the first time. Best boss fight and he actually has some reasons for what he is trying to acomplish

Still, i need more PG. I think i'm in love with them.

+ Best soundtrack of 2013/14 (DmC being close enough)
+ Best boss fights in a long time
+ Optimized port
+ Good use of QTEs (finally)
+ Dat action
+ Blade Wolf
+ Herr Doktor

- Camera
- Voice acting (yet it's funny i must admit)
- Game doesn´t tell you too much about some relevent mechanics stuff (parry and block)
- Only tops 1080p (at least without tweaking stuff)

Honestly, I liked all the VAs. They were spot on the characters AND the corniness/hamness of the script. Only angry Raiden was the low part.

Grief.exe

That is pretty fucking cool.

Top Bottom