• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

KarmaCow

I went back and got all the collectables to get the extra weapons, got to the score screen where it told me all the stuff I unlocked. I didn't feel like watching the entire credit sequence again so alt-f4'd out of it. Now upon loading the game, I seem to have all the collectables but not the unlocks that come with them. Did I screw myself or is there a way to get them back?

edit: whew just needed to complete the last chapter again and watch the credits.

ArjanN

I went back and got all the collectables to get the extra weapons, got to the score screen where it told me all the stuff I unlocked. I didn't feel like watching the entire credit sequence again so alt-f4'd out of it. Now upon loading the game, I seem to have all the collectables but not the unlocks that come with them. Did I screw myself or is there a way to get them back?

I thought you could skip the credits the second time? Not sure.

It's pretty easy to get rid of the chopper in the Sundowner fight. Hitting R2 will pretty much always lock you on to Sundowner, but you just use the right stick to switch targets to the chopper and it goes down with one homing missile. You just have to find a moment when Sundowner isn't attacking you (in other words, don't do it right at the start of the fight).

BPoole

So I screwed up pretty bad. Played through Normal twice before starting Hard, but when I started Hard, I selected "New Game" and I had to play through the game with no upgrades. Now I just finished Hard, and I learn that I could keep all my upgrades from each playthrough. I missed out on two playthroughs worth of BP and all the arms/data storage I had already gotten...

TnK

I played around 65-70 hours on the 360. I've clocked in at least 300 hours of DMC3 total. Action games are the gift that keep on giving.
That is true, action games really do keep on giving, and they are always a blast to replay. The one game I have not spent time on after beating it on the first difficulty is The Wonderful 101. I need to finish that excellent game on all difficulties while getting all achievements if possible.

Another thing that people might not be aware of is that Sam can do ranged Zandatsus. Just go into blade mode and hold down heavy attack to charge it up. Line up your cut as usual and Sam will immediately dash to the target to perform the cut. It feels pretty badass :)

I forgot to mention...

You can also do AIR ranged Zandatsus :)

what the hell, how? If you are too far the square does not show up.

woops forgot to equip muramasa even though I maxed it out :lol

are there any penalties for using different costume or wig?
Costume? Nope, I instantly played the game on a different costume on the PC. A wig? Shame on you, shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame on you. Winners don't do wigs.

KarmaCow

I thought you could skip the credits the second time? Not sure.

I was mashing buttons and looked online, there didn't seem to be a way to skip them.

And for what it's worth, completing the last chapter again and sitting through the credits actually unlocked the items.

Volcynika

I think my goal for the weekend is to gold all normal VR missions (to net the complete all VR and gold all VRs) then get enough BP to get the customization achievement, so I'll be sitting at 55/60 total. After that the only one I may attempt is 1-hour run of Bladewolf's DLC on Revengeance (and since I'm lazy I'll need to use the Konami Code to unlock Revengeance difficulty).

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
He will bring Revengeance to his city
8kvztWI.jpg

TnK

Up until just now the strongest enemies for me were the heavy sword wielding cyborgs, because they would always parry, and PP them was usless. I then realized I can go to blade mode to break their guard.....lol....

='(

Volcynika

Up until just now the strongest enemies for me were the heavy sword wielding cyborgs, because they would always parry, and PP them was usless. I then realized I can go to blade mode to break their guard.....lol....

='(

I didn't know that but if you repeatedly parry you can eventually stun them for an easy zandatsu. It's like a parry chain of you vs them. You must win! :D

Jintor

Armstrong on Very Hard is a bitch, and if you chapter select you don't get any nanopaste.

Got him finally through taunt strategising, but I finally see what you guys are talking about with that star charge attack - he's incredibly inconsistent with it if you're not in the very centre of the helipad. Sometimes he'll get stuck in a corner and delay enough to throw off your timing, other times he won't lock on to you correctly and just zoom around you in circles. Gawd damn.

OMG Armstrong in the Sam DLC. Dude is relentless

and the tracking from the lava shockwaves. Why you gotta do that?

Why does exploding lava even track? How can a helipad even explode in lava? Damnit Armstrong you're a weird guy

I didn't know that but if you repeatedly parry you can eventually stun them for an easy zandatsu. It's like a parry chain of you vs them. You must win! :D

If someone else interrupts they can really fuck you over, especially if they're attacking from a different direction :<

Volcynika

Armstrong's burst attack (where he just emits small damage sphere) was the most annoying damn thing ever when fighting him with Raiden. I always had issues getting far enough away in time.

Jintor

Thankfully in the Sam DLC he has a visible radius.

Also apparently it only triggers if you attack him from the back? idk though, haven't tested.

This is pretty much a death sentence on Very Hard, unfortunately. On Hard and lower enemies will stand around watching the spectacle of your parry fight, but on Very Hard you'll just get your head kicked in by two Mastiffs and die immediately.

I just found out that you can break their guard with Blade Mode in Chip Cheezum's LP, so I can't wait to try it out and see if it gives me any kind of edge. VH has made me realise that I have almost no crowd control chops in this game, so as soon as I start getting into group fights with all the tricky enemy types I end up popping Ripper Mode and hoping for the best. Surprisingly enough, this isn't a great strategy :p

Jintor

Even mistral's staff becomes useless because the white grunts deflect like three hits and counter :T

Also, on my normal run, the first bit in the final fight glitched out.

I ended up standing on him for a few minutes, but eventually he hit me out of it because parrying is super difficult when he's below you.

TnK

I would keep at it for 5-6 times and Zandatsu never pops out. The major problem is when you have 3-4 of these guys.

What? The SAM missiles lock onto whatever your target lock happens to be. You can't easily target lock the chopper though because Sundowner's priority is so high or something.

I didn't realise the chopper was close enough to cut. I'll try that out.

Oh, you're talking about R2 (RB) lock-on? I don't even enable that in the Sundowner fight until I've dodged his charge and used first person aiming to lock on to the chopper and kill it.

I would keep at it for 5-6 times and Zandatsu never pops out. The major problem is when you have 3-4 of these guys.

It works out well if you can do it with a group sometimes because the parrying animation will hit one of the other enemies and put them into stun for executions. Then you can re-adjust and start attacking with one less enemy in the battle.

DieH@rd

Banned
Digital Foundry - PC Tech Comparison: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-metal-gear-revengeance-pc

VERDICT:
It's strange to see an audacious developer like Platinum Games taking the safe, middle-ground route for a change, but that's exactly what we have with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Make no mistake: this is a stable, well-optimised port, and one that services the original experience brilliantly for a whole new audience. As if making up for lost time, the extra features and bundled DLC also add value to a game that made its debut almost a year ago on consoles. The regret here though, is that this opportunity to work on Rising once again hasn't inspired the studio to stretch its graphical ambitions on PC hardware, nor drastically expand the breadth of the game's content.

As limited as they may be, the range of graphical options still manages to frame this as the definitive, and most playable version. At its best we have the rough edges on consoles smoothed over, such as the blocky shadows, the aliasing, and the dips below 60fps. An eye-opening bump to 1080p makes these tweaks particularly practical too, but again, the chance to address the game's rudimentary textures does go wanting. It's a game built to target the 60Hz refresh on last-generation hardware, with all the compromises that entails, but the fact of the matter is that many of the design choices haven't been tampered with in the jump to PC.

Taken as a first step of a much grander initiative though, this is still a small victory for Konami. Revengeance on PC won't go down in the annals of videogame history as the most luxurious of ports, but with enough commercial success this could be the springboard for greater efforts on PC in the future. And with Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and Lords of Shadow 2 already confirmed for a Windows release, that can be no bad thing.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

This was why VR mission 19 was a nightmare for me.

Not only do you have to parry them so many times on higher difficulties, but they're also the prime example of the parry range issue I was talking about earlier.

If you stand in place, the range at which they'll initiate an attack is longer than the range at which your parry will activate. So this gave me alot of frustration in VR Mission 19 when I would try to lead the enemies around and get the parries on the sword guys so I could zandatsu after the stun, but noticed that if I tried to parry as they approached and attacked me, raiden would do a light attack even though their attack was already active and incoming. So I'd get hit as a result.

Eventually I adjusted and walked forward before trying to parry as they did their attack, but it was still really annoying and lowered my opinion of the mechanic as a whole.

So yeah I don't bother taking their parry test. Like you discovered, Ripper mode guard break all day.

Gvaz

Banned
Oh really, Eurogamer?

[Update: Metal Gear Solid 5 has been demoed on PC, and while likely, a PC port hasn't been officially confirmed yet.]

Of course we are developing on a PC, so we look forward to releasing something on the PC sometime, but right now we have no release date, we are not really looking to do that right now, that’s not a priority, so, we are making it and we hope to put it out [on PC] as well.

Hopefully Konami of america can send some letters to Konami of Japan/Kojima telling them there is big interest in MGS5. ;)

This was why VR mission 19 was a nightmare for me.

Not only do you have to parry them so many times on higher difficulties, but they're also the prime example of the parry range issue I was talking about earlier.

If you stand in place, the range at which they'll initiate an attack is longer than the range at which your parry will activate. So this gave me alot of frustration in VR Mission 19 when I would try to lead the enemies around and get the parries on the sword guys so I could zandatsu after the stun, but noticed that if I tried to parry as they approached and attacked me, raiden would do a light attack even though their attack was already active and incoming. So I'd get hit as a result.

Eventually I adjusted and walked forward before trying to parry as they did their attack, but it was still really annoying and lowered my opinion of the mechanic as a whole.

So yeah I don't bother taking their parry test. Like you discovered, Ripper mode guard break all day.

Unless the opportunity arises for a parry, there's no reason to sit and wait for it on VR 19, y'know, unless you have some personal goal of "I want to parry everything and it's the only way I will do this VR mission!". Sure, it's the easier way to get a zandatsu, but you can just lure the two customs away from the heavy and hit them with the polearm or pincers repeatedly until they're damaged enough to slice up. Do the same with the wolf. Then it's just you vs. two heavies. The annoying part of 19 is when you have 4 wolves jumping around being dicks with projectiles and one of them manages to hit another for insta-kill. Then all your work was for naught.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I like to no damage Sundowner for fun. He definitely isn't the most interesting boss in the game but no damaging him is really exciting since you gotta be mindful of how you attack and taking out the chopper in clever ways is also really fun! I've been trying to get my time against him under 2:30, I don't think it's possible to do it faster than 2 minutes because of the cutscenes and the slider section.

I thought it was cool that the Standard Body gave you yellow blade mode guide lines instead of blue ones. I don't know if I like it more than the blue lines though, they're some times easier to see some times harder.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Unless the opportunity arises for a parry, there's no reason to sit and wait for it on VR 19, y'know, unless you have some personal goal of "I want to parry everything and it's the only way I will do this VR mission!". Sure, it's the easier way to get a zandatsu, but you can just lure the two customs away from the heavy and hit them with the polearm or pincers repeatedly until they're damaged enough to slice up. Do the same with the wolf. Then it's just you vs. two heavies. The annoying part of 19 is when you have 4 wolves jumping around being dicks with projectiles and one of them manages to hit another for insta-kill. Then all your work was for naught.

Yeah I knew about just slowly chipping away at them with the polearm

but I found just getting the parries was faster. Like even with restarts factored in.

and especially when, like you said, the next wave could mess you up easily and all that time was a waste

and even then the problem with the parry trigger range still exists and is lame

I think a separate block/parry button would be a great improvement for the sequel.

As Retro said, the parry range can be terrible at times, plus it would make the whole mechanic less button-mashy.

Mohasus

Is there a move list in game? I just completed Sam's DLC and the fight against blade wolf was a pain in the ass because I didn't know if I had a move to close the distance after parrying/dodging (like Bayonetta's Heel Slide/Stiletto).

kick51

Banned
You know how you can't put your finger on what celebrity Raiden looks like?

I got you covered

agN36yY.jpg

if only Raiden had a steel horse he rode

Grief.exe

So I screwed up pretty bad. Played through Normal twice before starting Hard, but when I started Hard, I selected "New Game" and I had to play through the game with no upgrades. Now I just finished Hard, and I learn that I could keep all my upgrades from each playthrough. I missed out on two playthroughs worth of BP and all the arms/data storage I had already gotten...

When you select new game, they should give you the option of NG+ or starting over. I would have done the exact same thing if I had not been in this thread.

[Update: Metal Gear Solid 5 has been demoed on PC, and while likely, a PC port hasn't been officially confirmed yet.]

Of course we are developing on a PC, so we look forward to releasing something on the PC sometime, but right now we have no release date, we are not really looking to do that right now, that’s not a priority, so, we are making it and we hope to put it out [on PC] as well.

Hopefully Konami of america can send some letters to Konami of Japan/Kojima telling them there is big interest in MGS5. ;)

Ya, nothing has been confirmed for MGSV release. Maybe we will get Phantom Pain day one after the success of Rising, but Digital Foundry is mistaken.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think a separate block/parry button would be a great improvement for the sequel.

As Retro said, the parry range can be terrible at times, plus it would make the whole mechanic less button-mashy.

In the original thread we threw around alot of ideas to make it better.

Mine was, like you said, a dedicated parry button and removing the directional input. That way it's not overlapping with attacks, isn't dependent on direction with a problematic camera and only requires a single input so it's easier to assess when you're making a mistake in timing vs just a missed input.

but some people like the direction aspect and the system was designed with the idea of "blocking attacks with attacks"(even though in practice it doesn't feel that way at all. He just adopts a blocking stance) so I understand the opposition to that idea.

What someone else suggested was a "threat ring" ZOE style, which I think would also be a good idea, but I'm not sure people want more intrusive UI elements on the screen.

Volcynika

Is there a move list in game? I just completed Sam's DLC and the fight against blade wolf was a pain in the ass because I didn't know if I had a move to close the distance after parrying/dodging (like Bayonetta's Heel Slide/Stiletto).

Hit Start -> Select Help, I think.

Although I adore Rising and think it's an amazing game, I also concede that it's terribly flawed and unpolished.

The more you try to master the game, the more apparent the issues become.

Vanquish and Bayonetta were fucking tight man. Just moving Raiden with the analog stick literally feels loose, and kinda awkward.

A lot of that can be contributed to the rushed Dev time, and possibly even the inexperience of the director.

If Konami gives enough time for the sequel, and Platinum listens to feedback and adjust accordingly, I honestly think MGR2 would be their best game yet.

Lunar15

Although I adore Rising and think it's an amazing game, I also concede that it's terribly flawed and unpolished.

Vanquish and Bayonetta were fucking tight man. Just moving Raiden with the analog stick literally feels loose, and kinda awkward.

A lot of that can be contributed to the rushed Dev time, and possibly even the inexperience of the director.

If Konami gives enough time for the sequel, and Platinum listens to feedback and adjust accordingly, I honestly think MGR2 would be their best game yet.

I think it's more that they had to work with an existing engine that wasn't even planned to be a fast paced action game in the first place.

Even Kojima mentioned that if they do a sequel, Platinum has to be the developer from the very start.

RPGCrazied

Which DLC do you play first? Should get the game tomorrow, getting it from Amazon. Better start downloading, they are pretty hefty in size too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's more that they had to work with an existing engine that wasn't even planned to be a fast paced action game in the first place.

Even Kojima mentioned that if they do a sequel, Platinum has to be the developer from the very start.

The game was developed on their internal engine wasn't it?

Fighting Sam and he's doing too much damage on me.

need to learn to parry his stuff since it has a completely different tempo compared to Monsoon.

i'll try it whenever I get some off time again

Clawww

yup

No Love

Banned
Damn, yesss! Got SLI working perfectly with perfect scaling.

On my SLI setup I managed to get this running at a perfect FPS.

3200x1800 (Note: would've downsampled from 4K but since I upgraded drivers it's not letting me. This will happen randomly, even despite my HDTV being able to downsample from those resolutions before. :\
Maxed out settings
8x MSAA + 8x SGSSAA

Running at a silky smooth 60 FPS locked. Looks and feels great. I would also try to enable the Ambient Occlusion on Nvidia's drivers but I read that it has a glitch where it'll show through the smoke effects.

Dario ff

Banned
This game has made me a believer in boss fights once again.

Several games of this generation burned me off them and being thankful some games don't even include them at all. It's quite surprising how it's one of the things that almost always ends up being a chore very easily. I was even starting to share this sentiment for a while. Not for this game tho. I need to know what's Platinum's secret formula for these very enjoyable and replayable boss fights.

It might be a rushed, flawed, bland-looking game, but it sure as hell is fun and look forward to playing more of Platinum's stuff. Reviewers claiming this game is short seems like a lie when the first thing I did after finishing it was replaying it over again. (Clocking over 30+ hours so far). It's hard to get tired of it unless you start using the dumb game-breaking weapons.

I've never finished Bayonetta due to only owning a PS3 and hearing the port is far from optimal. I shall keep believing like Grief.

Grief.exe

It might be a rushed, flawed, bland-looking game, but it sure as hell is fun and look forward to playing more of Platinum's stuff. Reviewers claiming this game is short seems like a lie when the first thing I did after finishing it was replaying it over again. (Clocking over 30+ hours so far). It's hard to get tired of it unless you start using the dumb game-breaking weapons.

A generalization I've made while browsing GAF is console gamers seem to have these strange value propositions.
If a game is too short, or if it only has multiplayer, than its not worth their money. For the former I will say, if a game is perfectly paced and lean, than the quality of the game is much higher. Trim the bullshit, let me enjoy your game, don't overstay your welcome.

I've never finished Bayonetta due to only owning a PS3 and hearing the port is far from optimal. I shall keep believing like Grief.

Never stop...Never stop...

Lunar15

Yeah it runs on the Platinum Games internal engine. It was originally going to be the first game on the FOX engine I think?

I stand corrected!

I still think it just came down to having to switch hands and going into crunch time. I'm not making excuses for its flaws, but really just saying that I think they could knock it out of the park with a sequel.

Sams play style is really hard on the harder difficulties at first because hes all about high damage (taunt buff on at all times) he has such a small health pool I feel like I am dying in 3 hits, but hes so fun to play.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
A generalization I've made while browsing GAF is console gamers seem to have these strange value propositions.
If a game is too short, or if it only has multiplayer, than its not worth their money. For the former I will say, if a game is perfectly paced and lean, than the quality of the game is much higher. Trim the bullshit, let me enjoy your game, don't overstay your welcome.

This is how I feel as well, people complain about Journey being too short but if it was a 12 hour game it would have been a far less compelling experience if you ask me.

I've thought about making threads on the subject but it never feels like a good idea. A game should be as long as it needs to be to reach maximum effect.

If MGR was a 92 hour epic I'm sure it would have just become less interesting the longer it dragged.

Top Bottom