• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

dani_dc

It might be a rushed, flawed, bland-looking game, but it sure as hell is fun and look forward to playing more of Platinum's stuff. Reviewers claiming this game is short seems like a lie when the first thing I did after finishing it was replaying it over again. (Clocking over 30+ hours so far). It's hard to get tired of it unless you start using the dumb game-breaking weapons..
Theres also the fact that people in general used the in-game clock to define the lenght of the game, when that clock does not count cutscenes and only counts your best time per chapter (thus doesn't count deaths, restarts of anything of the sort).

kick51

Banned
This is how I feel as well, people complain about Journey being too short but if it was a 12 hour game it would have been a far less compelling experience if you ask me.

I've thought about making threads on the subject but it never feels like a good idea. A game should be as long as it needs to be to reach maximum effect.

If MGR was a 92 hour epic I'm sure it would have just become less interesting the longer it dragged.

It just depends who is responding. Lots of people here, myself included, have default responses to things. If we hear a game is 3 hours long it's "LOOOLOLOLOL THE GAME IS 3 HOURS LONG" until it proves itself somehow. There are tons of things like this in the game industry where euphemisms and half baked games screwed us in the past.

People who like JRPGs would have your thread locked if you suggested a 10 hour replayable RPG. They want to hear it's an 80 hour epic and it will take more of your effort than it's worth to convince 10 hours worth playing 8 times > 80 hours of blah.

i do agree, the games i've put the most time into are "8 hours long" or some average campaign length, but i've played them a jillion times.

Jintor

I swear you could skip Monsoon's monologue the second or third time through, is this not true?

All these in-engine cutscenes bug me, especially if they're not skippable

Hypron

I swear you could skip Monsoon's monologue the second or third time through, is this not true?

All these in-engine cutscenes bug me, especially if they're not skippable

Yeah I also seem to remember that.

I don't know why it's not skippable. And Platinum should have really made the Sundowner monologue skippable as well, I almost know it by heart now. "It's like a DREAMMMM... Well, dream is maybe the wrong word. They do kill some POWs, some civilians..."

Volcynika

I can no damage all the bosses but apparently I suck at putting in the Konami code (want to just unlock revengeance difficulty).

D:

McNum

Well, got all the collectables in Raiden's story now. All data storages, all left hands, all MIBs, and all VR missions. Netting me Stun Blade, Armor Breaker, HF Wooden Sword (How does that even work?) and three wigs.

Question now being... what do I do with those? I got the Murasama blade up to 5/5/5 and it's hilariously powerful now. I ran through the game on normal to grab the collectables. The Armstrong fight was just silly. Since the upgrades to the Murasama Blade also carry over to that fight. 200% to 0.1% in less than a minute.

Are the Armor Breaker or the Stun Blade worth upgrading? What about the Wooden Sword?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOUUUUUUUUUUU

fuckyouk3utd.png

Why? This fight was bullshit.

Carbonox

holy image batman

Yeah that fight was a pain in the arse to S rank on Revengeance. I think I had a lucky glitch of sorts though - the GRAD's missiles wouldn't hit me, even if I stood next to the barrier right in front of it. :lol

TnK

fuckyouk3utd.png

This fight is nowhere near being the hardest one in the game. I finished it a while ago on Revengeance

Odd opinion: hardest fight is in the Japanese garden where you fight soldiers then a custom cyborg shows up with two mastiffs. I repeated that fight over 10 times and I keep on dying. That one custom cyborg with the mastiffs ruins everything. Seriously, nothing comes close to how bullshit it is for me.

Yeah seriously. Fuck this fight.

This fight is nowhere near being the hardest one in the game. I finished it a while ago on Revengeance

Odd opinion: hardest fight is in the Japanese garden where you fight soldiers then a custom cyborg shows up with two mastiffs. I repeated that fight over 10 times and I keep on dying. That one custom cyborg with the mastiffs ruins everything. Seriously, nothing comes close to how bullshit it is for me.

Its not that it is the hardest of fights, its just that its not very easy to get S Rank. I had a lot of trouble with it myself.

Oreoleo

Having almost beat the game on very hard with a new character I'm inclined to agree. The mastiffs are the biggest pain in the ass, surprisingly the game lets you stealth past almost every encounter with them, but not this one. You just gotta let 'er rip :)

What? That fight is no worse than any normal encounter in the game, if you have the chops it's no big deal. This fucking thing SUCKED, specifically the no damage part and that it purposefully keeps you from using the core mechanics of the game.

Uraizen

Banned
What? That fight is no worse than any normal encounter in the game, if you have the chops it's no big deal. This fucking thing SUCKED, specifically the no damage part and that it purposefully keeps you from using the core mechanics of the game.

Yup... you can't actually fight them sans sub-weapons. S ranking that part was the worst part of MGR by far.

TnK

This was why VR mission 19 was a nightmare for me.

Not only do you have to parry them so many times on higher difficulties, but they're also the prime example of the parry range issue I was talking about earlier.

If you stand in place, the range at which they'll initiate an attack is longer than the range at which your parry will activate. So this gave me alot of frustration in VR Mission 19 when I would try to lead the enemies around and get the parries on the sword guys so I could zandatsu after the stun, but noticed that if I tried to parry as they approached and attacked me, raiden would do a light attack even though their attack was already active and incoming. So I'd get hit as a result.

Eventually I adjusted and walked forward before trying to parry as they did their attack, but it was still really annoying and lowered my opinion of the mechanic as a whole.

So yeah I don't bother taking their parry test. Like you discovered, Ripper mode guard break all day.

VR mission 19 is that hard huh? I never bother with VR missions, they are boring IMO. Parry mechanic is good, but these enemies are an exception. To me, they are the bane of my existence in this game.

You can get S rank without getting no damage. I got it on Revengeance when I played this fight eariler today. I also got it on Very Hard, and I used I think two repair nano pastes.

Having almost beat the game on very hard with a new character I'm inclined to agree. The mastiffs are the biggest pain in the ass, surprisingly the game lets you stealth past almost every encounter with them, but not this one. You just gotta let 'er rip :)

Mastiffs are not the problem, that annoying custom Cyborg is. He ruins the entire flow of the battle. Too, too annoying.

Those three or four mastiffs and the two doggies on the Denver steps in Very Hard are also le bitches.

That was a LOT easier compared to this nightmare I am facing now.

I would also like to say this: Playing on Revengeance again, I came to the conclusion that this is Platinum's hardest games. Aside from Vanquish's God Hard, because screw that shit, I can't think of another Platinum game where enemies gang up on you near a wall and pummel you to death without you being able to do anything.

Oreoleo

Mastiffs are not the problem, that annoying custom Cyborg is. He ruins the entire flow of the battle. Too, too annoying.

Heh, to each his own. I could fight the custom cyborgs all day. Dodging yellow attacks from the mastiffs ruins me.

VR mission 19 is that hard huh? I never bother with VR missions, they are boring IMO. Parry mechanic is good, but these enemies are an exception. To me, they are the bane of my existence in this game.

You can get S rank without getting no damage. I got it on Revengeance when I played this fight eariler today. I also got it on Very Hard, and I used I think two repair nano pastes.

That was a LOT easier compared to this nightmare I am facing now.

I would also like to say this: Playing on Revengeance again, I came to the conclusion that this is Platinum's hardest games. Aside from Vanquish's God Hard, because screw that shit, I can't think of another Platinum game where enemies gang up on you near a wall and pummel you to death without you being able to do anything.

I'm at a point with this game where the only really challenging part of it is No Damaging every encounter

TnK

I'm at a point with this game where the only really challenging part of it is No Damaging every encounter

Oh, your choice then. Though sometimes doing stuff like this may take the fun out of the game, so I tend to stay away from things that make me too angry, and may cause me to hate the game. Then again, that may not be the case for you.

Any mods out there that allows me to use Raiden's Suit costume without him wearing the sunglasses?

McNum

So, how much of a jump is it to go from Hard to Very Hard?

I know the enemy encounters get remixed, and they do more damage, but it there any other difference?

I figure with Raiden at 200% life and energy and a 5/5/5 Murasama Blade, there really isn't much else to do that up the difficulty and see what happens next. Hard was... okay. Couldn't make mistakes or they would get punished, but not that much worse than Normal.

Jintor

The dizzy mechanic has got to go. Fuck that thing. It adds nothing.

If I could gloriously mash ALL keys to get rid of it at least I'd feel a little better about it just cos of catharsis or something

w3bba

so because i wanted a continuous run on very hard i get all my upgrades and BP deleted? what kind of bullsquid is this -.-

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
so because i wanted a continuous run on very hard i get all my upgrades and BP deleted? what kind of bullsquid is this -.-

That sucks. Sorry, man. It did warn you, though. You need to use Chapter Select.

If I could gloriously mash ALL keys to get rid of it at least I'd feel a little better about it just cos of catharsis or something

Maybe they were trying to make Raiden subject to the same rules as everyone else, where when you get hit a lot, you go dizzy and die. I wouldn't miss it.

Anteater

Valdis Story has a lot of those :lol I got so pissed off at some point not because of the difficulty but watching my character getting stunned like 3 times in a row

It's the worst thing

Grief.exe

Valdis Story has a lot of those :lol I got so pissed off at some point not because of the difficulty but watching my character getting stunned like 3 times in a row

It's the worst thing

I've heard it argued by some game developers that you should never take control away from the player. Anytime that happens it is just a mechanic that encourages frustration.

TnK

Sam's fight in this area is harder

Good job! Ripper mode all the way? Since you did finish it in a minute and 6 seconds?

It's the worst thing

lol Valdis Story. S ranking bosses was really fun though, minus the last boss. What an anti-climactic battle. If you get stunned vs a boss in Valdis Story, it is time to reset that boss because S ranking him would be almost impossible.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
235460_2014-01-17_000houmk.png

Sam's fight in this area is harder

Sam doesn't have Blue Wig Ripper Mode yeah.

But he has R.P Grenades so he can actually one shot the Gekkos in that area in his chapter that way.

The whole game is easy with items really.

Both stages are really really REALLY annoying with out them though.

Game Balance. Another strong feature of Rising's.

TnK

Wait a minute, you used a wig? I feel like getting S ranks and no damages through wigs is cheating =/ I thought you had ripper mode continuously running while performing zandatsu.

Sorry dude.

But he has R.P Grenades so he can actually one shot the Gekkos in that area in his chapter that way.

The whole game is easy with items really.

Both stages are really really REALLY annoying with out them though.

Game Balance. Another strong feature of Rising's.
Real men/women play without items,that is how this game was meant to be played
lol not really
DMC taught me never to use items in these games, and to me, using items feels cheap, like I have not finished the encounter with my own skills.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute, you used a wig? I feel like getting S ranks and no damages through wigs is cheating =/ I thought you had ripper mode continuously running while performing zandatsu.

Sorry dude.

I think it's fair. Unlike other PG games the game doesn't penalize you for it. So it seems weird that they'd be in the game for you to not use.

I just think it's disingenuous to act like the shit's easy without being upfront about using an item when you know other people are talking about tackling it without them. lol

JoeFenix

I'm not a fan of the lack of ranking penalties when using overpowered accessories/weapons. DMC 3/4 did it right, severe penalties for using any kind of crutch, it's the way it should be.

I just make it a point not to use them in Rising, it's boring to just ripper mode through everything anyway.

ArjanN

I've heard it argued by some game developers that you should never take control away from the player. Anytime that happens it is just a mechanic that encourages frustration.

It can be frustrating, I know a lot of people hated that in Lost Planet, but it motivated me to actually avoid getting hit.

I'm not a fan of the lack of ranking penalties when using overpowered accessories/weapons. DMC 3/4 did it right, severe penalties for using any kind of crutch, it's the way it should be.

I just make it a point not to use them in Rising, it's boring to just ripper mode through everything anyway.

Yeah but the game would need rebalancing for that, like that stupid elevator lobby fight.

I really hope this game ends up doing well enough to justify a sequel as I feel all its shortcomings could be addressed now that they established such a strong base.

JoeFenix

Yeah but the game would need rebalancing for that, like that stupid elevator lobby fight.

I really hope this game ends up doing well enough to justify a sequel as I feel all its shortcomings could be addressed now that they established such a strong base.

P* games in general need to work on their overall balance and scoring systems. It's always been one of their weak points.

I've been going through the Sam DLC getting S-Ranks without using any items and it's probably been the most fun I've had with the game so far. A fleshed out Sam would be absolutely incredible to play as... shame they killed him off!

Hypron

Haha I never really thought about doing that. In general I just run behind the tree at the left of the exit door and wait for the gekkos to gang-up on me. It's easy to get parries that stun the geckos and enable you to round-house kick them in the face. If you get 3 zandatsus you're pretty much guaranteed an S rank, even without the no-damage bonus.

Overall I think the Sam DLC is pretty great as far as scoring goes. You don't need to rely on the no-damage bonus that much. There are either enough UGs to make it viable to go for the no kill bonus (all the VR missions apart from the second one for example) or it's possible to get max score in all the categories without the fight becoming absolutely unbrearable (the fight against the geckos or the fight against the two GRADs for example).

Stupidest fight in the game.
Such a pain to S rank.

Infinite sub-weapon wig. I'm not even ashamed of myself.

Top Bottom