• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

JoeFenix

Haha I never really thought about doing that. In general I just run behind the tree at the left of the exit door and wait for the gekkos to gang-up on me. It's easy to get parries that stun the geckos and enable you to round-house kick them in the face. If you get 3 zandatsus you're pretty much guaranteed an S rank.

I just try to get Aerial parries on the Gekkos, either that or perfect parry their jump attack. The timing is tight with Sam but it's fun to pull off.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of the lack of ranking penalties when using overpowered accessories/weapons. DMC 3/4 did it right, severe penalties for using any kind of crutch, it's the way it should be.

I'd do away with Rising's ranking system before I'd add penalties for using items. That would be weird in a Metal Gear game which I don't think has ever penalized players for using game breaking items.

I'm actually a little disappointed in the effort PG puts into their items. There's this whole mixing system and the game wants you to mix over 100 times but the items are all kinda similar and the game penalizes you for using some of the more interesting ones. Like why put them in the game if you're gonna discourage players from using them?

P* games in general need to work on their overall balance and scoring systems. It's always been one of their weak points.

It's pretty great in Bayonetta I feel minus a few accessory over sights.

Problem is that they keep making games in that same style of Bayonetta without being Bayonetta. I think ranks are pretty boring in 101 as well and ranking in Rising is probably the least enjoyable way to play it for me.

Rather than focus on balancing them I'd like to see them move away from the linear ranked fight game structure in the future. Honestly I'm kind of tired of it.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOUUUUUUUUUUU

fuckyouk3utd.png

Why? This fight was bullshit.

No damage?
That's mighty impressive.

Is it even possible to S rank it without it?

I think it is.
I know when I did it on PS3, I didn't get no-damage... I think it was all about the other factors... I might have done no kills + only killing the far away enemies and the grad with the turret.

Yeah. What difficulty was that on?

I never got the no-damage bonus for that fight, since it's pretty simple to get an S-rank as long as you manage to actually finish the fight.

Based on the FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUU and the fact that he went for no damage, it's on Revengeance.

Neiteio

Can someone link me to a well-played, high-quality, no commentary video of the Metal Gear Ray fight? I want to show my buddy in the office but YouTube is full of duds. :-\

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can no damage all the bosses but apparently I suck at putting in the Konami code (want to just unlock revengeance difficulty).

D:

Press start menu: UUDDLRLRSelectStart->file->Chapter->Select chapter on Revengence->Checkpoint. Done.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine no damaging the turret fight involves alot of memorization and EMP/RP Grenade abuse with Infinite Wig

Wouldn't need to No Damage though if you just beat it under 10 minutes, which is the time requirement for the fight. Lol

In fact I'm not sure you needed it with your points as is. I think you only need like 4000 for the S rank of that fight. It's bullshit but the ranking is extremely lenient as a result

Edit: it's 4500, so subtract 1500 from your final score and lol

JoeFenix

I'd do away with Rising's ranking system before I'd add penalties for using items. That would be weird in a Metal Gear game which I don't think has ever penalized players for using game breaking items.

It's pretty great in Bayonetta I feel minus a few accessory over sights.

Problem is that they keep making games in that same style of Bayonetta without being Bayonetta. I think ranks are pretty boring in 101 as well and ranking in Rising is probably the least enjoyable way to play it for me.

Rather than focus on balancing them I'd like to see them move away from the linear ranked fight game structure in the future. Honestly I'm kind of tired of it.

I don't agree with the removal of rankings altogether. Even with the questionable balance in some of their games I still love going for ranks, I would be really disappointed if they were removed honestly.

They just need to create a better structure surrounding them, DMC has you go through a 20-30 minute chunk of gameplay with no crutches before you get ranked. In P* games you feel like you have to game the system by restarting and messing around with save files because the game doesn't let you consistently retry, sometimes it just autosaves and screws you over the second you find out that you were off by 100 points and got an A rank instead of an S. Just let me restart endlessly then because you know that's what people are going to do anyway, that's the way your game is designed.

They don't even let you see the requirements for the missions. In Rising atleast you know that going for No Damage and Zandatsus will probably be good enough but in 101 you need the Pure Platinum on time and there's no way to know what the requirement is beforehand. Sometimes they want you to drag the fight out and extract alot of combo points out of enemies and sometimes they want you to just kill as quickly as possible.

Again, they just need better transparency and balance. If you make a game where every encounter is ranked and you expect players to keep retrying then just let them retry. If you want players to go through the entire chapter without restarting then block them from doing so but make it fair. I love going for S Rank but I really hope they work on that aspect of their games in the future.

I'd imagine no damaging the turret fight involves alot of memorization and EMP/RP Grenade abuse with Infinite Wig

I can't type out what it involves because my keyboard broke and I'm stuck using the on screen keyboard till i get a new one tomorrow, but in short, yes. Which is why it's not very fun, 0 margin for error using the janky subweapon system.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Your end-game rank was lowered by using special items since MGS2 actually.

Ah I see. Haven't played it in a while

It wasn't in Peace Walker though which is probably why I was confused.

Now that I think about it though Peace Walker was pretty close in structure to Rising/PG games.

and I hated it

I can't type out what it involves because my keyboard broke and I'm stuck using the on screen keyboard till i get a new one tomorrow, but in short, yes. Which is why it's not very fun, 0 margin for error using the janky subweapon system.

God man I can't imagine even trying to do that.

You aren't on point and kill certain enemies as soon as they spawn and your run is ruined.

Probably the hardest thing anyone has done in this thread for the game.

Congratulations man and I'm sorry lol

On Revengeance mode?

Yes. I did a chunk of my revengeance fights as no kill instead of no damage -- some of them are just easier that way.
I don't recall my exact strategy on that fight, but I know it didn't require no damage -- though, now that I think about it, you can't no kill that fight... so it was just +1000 for each category instead.

jett

D-Member
Yeah the lobby assault is by far the worst section in the game to S-rank. Just fucking unfun.

Sam plays a bit like bayonetta actually come to think of it. Double jumps, reliable dodges, holding down buttons...

At best he's like the cerebral palsy version of Bayonetta. There's just so little variety to him, and Raiden already had a short movelist for the genre. His moves come out so slow too, and it sucks that you don't have the awesome sword combos from his boss fight.

Now that I think about it though Peace Walker was pretty close in structure to Rising/PG games.

and I hated it

The Battle Cries and Stealth Camo still prevented you from getting an S Rank. Everything else was fair game though, even the bandana.

Jintor

well yeah, he is a dlc character as opposed to the title of a game character. Can't even equip different weapons.

Does suck you don't have his complete moveset from his bossfight. Barehanded Sam, or that explosive run combo Sam.

I'm also annoyed you can't mission select the bladewolf bossfights for either Raiden or Sam.

and I hated it

God man I can't imagine even trying to do that.

You aren't on point and kill certain enemies as soon as they spawn and your run is ruined.

Probably the hardest thing anyone has done in this thread for the game.

Congratulations man and I'm sorry lol

Thing is now burned into my muscle memory so I can do it again and record a video for it, the two shitty parts of the fight are the non predictable ones, ie the Mastiff warp jump (they can actually teleport directly on you through geometry) and the camera switching to track a different part of the GRAD fucking your em stun lock by a split second allowing it to get a shot off. Both no biggie for S rank but rage inducing for no damage

I'm also annoyed you can't mission select the bladewolf bossfights for either Raiden or Sam.

Was wondering about that too. Is he not considered a legitimate boss encounter? He has his own theme music (I'm my own master - time to leave 'em all behind) and all, and everytime you wanna take him on you have to start that whole chapter again.

The GRAD (? - Boss you fight en route to rescuing those kids in Mexico) is another strangely missing boss fight that could've been in the "boss select" mode.

Jintor

Well, GRADs are basic enemies and Bladewolf is just a souped up LQ-89. He's a lot more of a legit boss encounter in Sam tho

He should still have a boss fight encounter though because Bladewofl is awesome

Wow, what an epic pissoff.

No damaged Monsoon, but the game didn't give me the credit.

I even went back and checked my shadowplay recording, and I wasn't hit once. Game just refuses to give me the bonus, and of course with the 10% checkpoint, I can't reload it, and have to redo the ENTIRE chapter to get the no damage in all fights in that chapter I was going for.

Pretty frustrating to be honest.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Damn at Sundown. I figured out the right stick for the slice a bit too late, but I restarted the fight and owned him on the second run. Monsoon was easy pie and the chick (forgot the damned name) was pretty damn badass but easy as well. Sundown proved to be a real challenge at least :p.

Wow, what an epic pissoff.

No damaged Monsoon, but the game didn't give me the credit.

I even went back and checked my shadowplay recording, and I wasn't hit once. Game just refuses to give me the bonus, and of course with the 10% checkpoint, I can't reload it, and have to redo the ENTIRE chapter to get the no damage in all fights in that chapter I was going for.

Pretty frustrating to be honest.

Did you ever die while attempting it? It will count that against you

Did you ever die while attempting it? It will count that against you

Yup.
I learned this the hard way back with my time spent on the PS3 version -- I did all those fights on Revengeance to save a playthrough, so it was easy to fuck up, take a hit, and die before I could retry. :\

After that, I would do a lot of copying of save files, especially before the boss fights on revengeance so I wouldn't have to s-rank the whole chapter again if I fucked up.

well yeah, he is a dlc character as opposed to the title of a game character. Can't even equip different weapons.

Does suck you don't have his complete moveset from his bossfight. Barehanded Sam, or that explosive run combo Sam.

I'm guessing that's to do with his cybernetic arm. Sam is
all man in the DLC
. More likely the designers just wanted him to play in a particular way.

The dashing slash should have been his running charge move instead of the projectile though

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I still think Two Best Friends Play is my favourite Revengeance playthrough. They get so hype.

Matt and Pat definitely need to do more character action let's plays. I think I have the most fun with those. Their Killer is Dead playthrough was pretty good.

Yuterald

Did Platinum happen to fix their barf-y system/results data in the PC version? I remember being really turned off when I found out that in order to obtain/unlock certain titles that my final results/ranking screen would be wiped. I sort of felt bad for people who went for that nice S-rank spreadsheet first. I didn't get too involved with S-ranking each difficulty back on my PS3 copy because I quickly learned that you essentially had to "wipe" your saved/results data. And yeah, I've said it before, but I too think Platinum's ranking/scoring systems are a little out-of-whack sometimes. There's too much checkpoint abuse in all of their games (even games you wouldn't even think of like Vanquish). Wonderful 101 had that problem too. The last game I thoroughly enjoyed S-ranking was DMC4. I don't feel like Platinum has figured out that shit perfectly yet.

Momentary

Banned
I really felt that the PC OT of this game would only make it to 30 or so pages before it died off. I'm pleasantly surprised that it didn't.

Top Bottom