• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Screwwwwwwwww VR18. HATED that damn dog phase.

Down to just 7/13/17 now.

Those are easy by comparison. I'm sitting here with 18 as the only one left -- and my timing was just not perfect earlier... and it was making me mad... so I switched to take care of Monsoon with no damage on hard after using the Konami code to unlock the boss select... nope. Got him to like 11.5% when he snuck a hit in. :\

If you need any help with them, let me know. :)

Hypron

Did Platinum happen to fix their barf-y system/results data in the PC version? I remember being really turned off when I found out that in order to obtain/unlock certain titles that my final results/ranking screen would be wiped. I sort of felt bad for people who went for that nice S-rank spreadsheet first. I didn't get too involved with S-ranking each difficulty back on my PS3 copy because I quickly learned that you essentially had to "wipe" your saved/results data. And yeah, I've said it before, but I too think Platinum's ranking/scoring systems are a little out-of-whack sometimes. There's too much checkpoint abuse in all of their games (even games you wouldn't even think of like Vanquish). Wonderful 101 had that problem too. The last game I thoroughly enjoyed S-ranking was DMC4. I don't feel like Platinum has figured out that shit perfectly yet.

Yeah the game still has that annoying "naked and unloved" title that requires you to not buy any upgrades during your first playthrough. So I did that one first to get it out of the way.

I also agree with you about the scoring system for the most part. I prefer the way DMC4 did it.

Volcynika

Those are easy by comparison. I'm sitting here with 18 as the only one left -- and my timing was just not perfect earlier... and it was making me mad... so I switched to take care of Monsoon with no damage on hard after using the Konami code to unlock the boss select... nope. Got him to like 11.5% when he snuck a hit in. :\

If you need any help with them, let me know. :)

Just got 18! Just need help on 7 and 13 D:

It feels a lot harder to no-damage Revengeance than DMC4, though. With all the shit flying around and the combat relying so heavily on a move that requires precise timing or else you get hit, plus the enemies having guns that will ruin your S rank with 1.4% damage off a stray bullet just because you weren't in ninja run.

Just got 18! Just need help on 7 and 13 D:

What part of 7 is tripping you up? And 13?

I'll bet the default answer here applies to you... pincer blades.

On 7, kill the first wave by running and sliding/attacking into blade mode for easy chopping.
When they're done, charge a pincer attack and wait for wave two -- hit them with it and just keep playing smart... parry if you can, especially if the customs group up in wave 2 or 3.
Wave 3 can be the same as wave 2 -- start with a charge pincer attack... use pincer attacks to deal high damage and knock customs back, parry if you can for instant kill.
Wave 4, you can use the polearm to clear most of it -- if you're running short on time and the gekkos won't charge? Pincer attacks!

On 13, you just need to jump and hold heavy attack to do the sawblade move. that will take out a large chunk of the screechers... then just run and avoid the hammerheads until you can kill most of the screechers... change to the sai and use the powered up emp attack to get several hits in at a time. Mix with picking up the homing missles and using those to knock them down. Use the platform areas as cover to put a buffer between you and the hammerheads if they're on your ass too much. Split them up if you can.

Yuterald

As cool as the bosses are in MGR, I can't stand all the extra horse shit that comes with them. The flying copter in the background, the little arm-robots, etc. I don't like the downtime during that tsai guy's fight either (the dude who throws the cars/trucks at you). It was so boring going for no damage on him to have to sit through those parts when a piece of shit-debris messes up your attempt. I get that they serve a purpose to refill your energy or whatever, but on replays I did not find it fun to fight the majority of the bosses. It's not like these things ruined the game for me or anything, but MGR definitely doesn't have my favorite character-based action game bosses.

Volcynika

What part of 7 is tripping you up? And 13?

I'll bet the default answer here applies to you... pincer blades.

On 7, kill the first wave by running and sliding/attacking into blade mode for easy chopping.
When they're done, charge a pincer attack and wait for wave two -- hit them with it and just keep playing smart... parry if you can, especially if the customs group up in wave 2 or 3.
Wave 3 can be the same as wave 2 -- start with a charge pincer attack... use pincer attacks to deal high damage and knock customs back, parry if you can for instant kill.
Wave 4, you can use the polearm to clear most of it -- if you're running short on time and the gekkos won't charge? Pincer attacks!

On 13, you just need to jump and hold heavy attack to do the sawblade move. that will take out a large chunk of the screechers... then just run and avoid the hammerheads until you can kill most of the screechers... change to the sai and use the powered up emp attack to get several hits in at a time. Mix with picking up the homing missles and using those to knock them down. Use the platform areas as cover to put a buffer between you and the hammerheads if they're on your ass too much. Split them up if you can.

Just pulled off 13! I'll be sure to try the pincer stuff again, the sliding cyborg creature thing is always an asshole on 7 though.

Just pulled off 13! I'll be sure to try the pincer stuff again, the sliding cyborg creature thing is always an asshole on 7 though.

a heavy pincer on that might help. ;)

I've also seen people run to the opposite corner of the map and it will cause it to do the spinning attack which is probably the easiest attack to parry for execution.

Volcynika

Aww yiss.

7kbB8wb.png

Now I need a helluva lot of BP to buy all the stuff I have left.

Uraizen

Banned
Yup.
I learned this the hard way back with my time spent on the PS3 version -- I did all those fights on Revengeance to save a playthrough, so it was easy to fuck up, take a hit, and die before I could retry. :\

After that, I would do a lot of copying of save files, especially before the boss fights on revengeance so I wouldn't have to s-rank the whole chapter again if I fucked up.

... I really wish I knew about this earlier. FUCK.

Volcynika

Well I'm glad the Kapitalism one didn't require all upgrades, just that you bought all the items.

MVkfdAY.png

I think I've done pretty well! Think I'll shelve it for a bit after I maybe attempt the 1-hour Bladewolf run a few times.

Well I'm glad the Kapitalism one didn't require all upgrades, just that you bought all the items.

MVkfdAY.png

I think I've done pretty well! Think I'll shelve it for a bit after I maybe attempt the 1-hour Bladewolf run a few times.

God, that'd be crazy... especially if you were required to max out the fox blade?

I think I found you on Steam... added you. :D

Hypron

MVkfdAY.png

Finishing in less than an hour is pretty simple don't worry, just skip the optional encounters. You can probably finish the dlc in like 40 minutes without much of a problem.

JoeFenix

Finishing in less than an hour is pretty simple don't worry, just skip the optional encounters. You can probably finish the dlc in like 40 minutes without much of a problem.

I did it in 18 minutes earlier so you definitely have more than enough time if you skip encounters.

KarmaCow

Ugh is there something special about no damage clearing Armstrong? I just spent an hour, resetting multiple times because of dumb grab bullshit only to not get the no damage bonus at the end despite not getting hit the entire round.

edit: the fight on top of the thing counts toward the fight. God damn it.

TGMIII

Ugh is there something special about no damage clearing Armstrong? I just spent an hour, resetting multiple times because of dumb grab bullshit only to not get the no damage bonus at the end despite not getting hit the entire round.

Both fights before the final encounter count towards the no damage.

hengyu

Just finished this game (on normal, like a noob) and really enjoyed it, but did is it just me, or most of the cutscenes are god awful? The lengthy ones during the Armstrong fight almost drove me insane, and I couldn't really make any sense of what everyone is trying to convey

Sober

Just finished this game (on normal, like a noob) and really enjoyed it, but did is it just me, or most of the cutscenes are god awful? The lengthy ones during the Armstrong fight almost drove me insane, and I couldn't really make any sense of what everyone is trying to convey
Metal Gear

Grief.exe

The story is kind of bullshit, if you aren't feeling it then skip them entirely.

I was enjoying the strange personalities and ideologies on display.

Metal Gear

This was actually going to be my original response lol

dani_dc

I find that to be part of the charm, but I usually enjoy ridiculous dialogue, especially when mixed with equally ridiculous over the top scenes.

Sober

PC gamer here, never played any of the other games lol...

I knew the series was notorious for lengthy cutscenes, but I didn't know the dialogue was going to be that weird
Never played a Metal Gear game before either but it has the damn reputation.

Neiteio

I legitimately like the custscenes in Rising. And this is like a Scorsese film compared to the Birdemic drivel of MGS4.

The plot in Rising is goofy fun but offers some food for thought, like how one generation shapes the next ("memes," in this case a culture where "violence breeds violence") and the role of choice and ideals in shaping our sense of self. Rising also poses some interesting questions about the rapid growth of technology, war as an economy, and socio-economic disparity in the world... but mainly in codecs.

At any rate, the characters are likeable, the humor is firmly tongue-in-cheek (loved the Ninja Turtles II/Vanilla Ice reference in the sewer level), and the action is well-choreographed and highly stylized, always abiding by the "rule of cool." It's freewheeling but focused FUN. A story comfortable in its own skin. I mean, they even had crowd cheering noise and confetti sparkles when Armstrong punted Raiden!

Mupod

finished the PC version for the first time, but even though I did it before on console that final boss is still incredible. Except this time I went in with no nanopastes so I couldn't afford to fail the block cutting.

nothing beats the feeling of perfectly cutting the last series and that final zandatsu. Goddamn.

Watching some of the pro videos of people playing this game and getting S ranks makes me feel like I am so damn shit at this game and I don't believe I'm that aweful! Hah! Hot damn there are some skillful mofo's out there.

Got to Armstrong with just 2 health packs, is there a way to get more? I started the level again like a fool and started the level with 2 :( When I had ten before!

If I swapped out to another suit and then went back to the medical one will I have ten again?

Grief.exe

Got to Armstrong with just 2 health packs, is there a way to get more? I started the level again like a fool and started the level with 2 :( When I had ten before!

If I swapped out to another suit and then went back to the medical one will I have ten again?

Midway through the fight there is a way to get more nanopaste

curlycare

Guys who should I follow on twitter for news about patches to the game?

I played up to the sewer level, but the borderless window mode causes annoying stutter and now I'm waiting for them to fix most of the HDMI problems before continuing.

Thorgal

armstrong wasn't that hard once you learned all his attacks. he had so many though

I think the one that that caught most people of guard is after he does the two walls of fire move .

if you are inside those walls he will rush you lightning fast and since he was covered by the fire you can't see him coming .

On the other hand if you are outside those walls and attack him in the back he immediately counters with a backhander that require quick reflexes to guard against .

The world is not ready for that much awesome !

Finished Blade Wolf. That was pretty cool, lots of easy S's but when I got to the results screen it turned out I missed like half of the ranked battles.

Needless to say, God damn at Mistral's furniture lmao

McNum

So I started a Very Hard game for the very first time.

Tell me if this sounds familiar:

Mission start: "Raiden! Take out those hostiles!"
*Gekko jumps in*
Ten seconds later: "Raiden? What happened? Raiden?! RAAAAIDEN!!!"

It took me ten retries to finalle take down the Gekko, because R-00 Raiden can't do an execution attack, so parrying a charge and killing it doesn't work. Then the Fenrir jumped in after the next checkpoint. I ran like a scared little girl since I remembered I didn't have to fight the second encounter to get to Ray. Ray then murdered Raiden several times.

But in the end, I got my Suit. This is going to be awesome.

I take it the lesson is... "When PlatinumGames say Very Hard, they MEAN Very Hard." I really hope Raiden being upgraded will help. I'm getting the feeling that I may have to break out the cheese to beat this difficulty. Like buying the White Armor. And Blade Mode Wig.

Any tips on things to do, or rather not to do on Very Hard?

Zomba13

*Gekko jumps in*

It took me ten retries to finalle take down the Gekko, because R-00 Raiden can't do an execution attack, so parrying a charge and killing it doesn't work. Then the Fenrir jumped in after the next checkpoint. I ran like a scared little girl since I remembered I didn't have to fight the second encounter to get to Ray. Ray then murdered Raiden several times.

I take it the lesson is... "When PlatinumGames say Very Hard, they MEAN Very Hard." I really hope Raiden being upgraded will help. I'm getting the feeling that I may have to break out the cheese to beat this difficulty. Like buying the White Armor. And Blade Mode Wig.

I tried jumping into Very Hard from the get go (Konami Code) and found it very difficult with a Raiden with no unlocks or upgrades. Switched down to normal so I could speed through the game and get unlocks and upgrades and wigs etc easily.

demidar

*Gekko jumps in*

Yeah, I imagine anyone who jumps into Very Hard after beating Hard are like "Pfft, I'm up to the challe-oh god". I had a lot of difficulties myself adjusting to being stripped of Raiden's powers, but it does get easier once you get your powers back.

Weird trick I learned while doing the prologue: If you can get a perfect parry and jump into slow-mo Blade Mode, move yourself around in it (hold left thumbstick or something) and slice up enemies since you have unlimited slow-mo and are practically invulnerable, because those Raptors are really tough without D/O.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

MVkfdAY.png

Welcome to the Platinum Club.

TnK

I finished the game on Revengeance just now and got the Armstrong no damage achievements without aiming for it, so that's cool.

I finished the game on all difficulties, but I wish the game goes on for more. I feel kinda sad =(

*Gekko jumps in*

Dodge and make sure you've got parrying down is the best advice I can think of honestly. I tried to avoid as many battles as I could via stealth just because I wanted to make it to Revengeance.

R-00 is annoying due to what you mentioned, but it gets better from there IMO. At this point you should also know the general layout of the game and how to deal with the enemies so it's just a matter of taking it one battle at a time.

Clawww

PC gamer here, never played any of the other games lol...

I knew the series was notorious for lengthy cutscenes, but I didn't know the dialogue was going to be that weird

the funny thing is

-the cutscenes were pretty short by MGS standards
-the speeches made perfect sense by MGS standards (even by non-MGS standards, nothing was that hard to follow, really, I felt. just kinda silly)

McNum

Dodge and make sure you've got parrying down is the best advice I can think of honestly. I tried to avoid as many battles as I could via stealth just because I wanted to make it to Revengeance.

R-00 is annoying due to what you mentioned, but it gets better from there IMO. At this point you should also know the general layout of the game and how to deal with the enemies so it's just a matter of taking it one battle at a time.
I think my parrying skills are.. decent. I am bringing a fully powered Murasama sword into the mix, so as long as I can get an opportunity, whatever is in the way will be cut. And yeah, going for Stealth kills seems like a good plan whenever possible. Any enemy that doesn't get to attack is one less opportunity to get hurt.

I am not looking forward to Very Hard Mastiffs, though. I'll probably use Ripper Mode a lot if more than one shows up. By the way, is it just me, or do enemies react to Ripper Mode? I swear they start using attacks that waste time over doing damage when I hit Ripper Mode...

And I am so going to break out every cheap trick in the book I know for this. Because I'm fairly sure the game is going to do the same. Very Hard Monsoon seems like it could be quite a handful, too.

Top Bottom