• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Dario ff

Banned
I believe there's an issue with the UI not scaling properly at higher resolutions.
That's already fixed. But the game is very likely to get a patch so my workaround might be invalid later on. I sent extensive documentation to Platinum on what the proper implementation of their display modes should be already. There's these very weird things it does that it requests the refresh rates of the resolution mode internally on the list, but it uses the size of the desktop for the fullscreen display mode... It's no wonder the game just crashes for some people because of that.

I provided the addresses if someone wants to get dirty already. It can get quite a bit unstable for some unknown reasons tho. I've been unable to create a 4k display so far this way, but played through the entire game with native 1440p.

Apologies if already posted.

There's a table with a camera modifier on the cheat engine forums

Default Values are really bad for blade mode

iRmDtVDGRR1XI.png

iquYvq6uCSDxU.png

With a few changes
ibdhxSyCyGtxcI.png

back value = 2

icCt3yk2evcSc.png

back value = 1

Might help some people with camera issues.

Any tips on things to do, or rather not to do on Very Hard?

The prologue is one of the hardest fights on Very Hard, but it does get easier when you get all your upgrades back. I found the first three chapters totally manageable, but I had to ragequit in Chapter 4. It's all doable, though, you just have to make sure you don't get swarmed. The worst thing is always going to be getting a bad camera swing that causes you to miss a parry and then just get pounded into the ground by two Mastiffs at once, so always try and stay away from corners and other geometry that might set the camera off.

Other than that, Ripper Mode can be a huge help, and it'll also be useful to know when to use your other weapons. The polearm can be hugely useful for stun-locking armoured enemies, the pincers are great for huge damage, and the sai will shut down certain robots (like GRADs, for example). You'll want to get good at dodging Mastiff grabs, too, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to nail the perfect parry timing on their big overhead slam attack, because you'll be seeing it an awful lot :p

demidar

Charge up Pincers -> release Pincers attack -> activate Ripper Mode before Pincers hit.

Will demolish pretty much everything. Just run away to get some distance, charge and wait until enemies are in range to unleash.

The Sai's stun takes 6 seconds of no damage before it charges up. Probably includes gunfire as well.

Mastiff dropkicks are the easiest to perfect parry.

jett

D-Member
Replaying this game on Revengeance, I noticed it keeps track time of your entire time for your ranking, all your retries compounded and whatnot. Has it always been like this? I don't remember quitting to the main menu and reloading my save every time died during my S-rank run. Maybe I've expunged it from my mind. Man getting Platinum on this game was pure pain.

Charge up Pincers -> release Pincers attack -> activate Ripper Mode before Pincers hit.

Will demolish pretty much everything. Just run away to get some distance, charge and wait until enemies are in range to unleash.

The Sai's stun takes 6 seconds of no damage before it charges up. Probably includes gunfire as well.

Mastiff dropkicks are the easiest to perfect parry.

Pincers are super fun, they also grant you armor during the charge moves. It's unfortunate the sais are kinda crap. It seems more like a support move that should be available to you at all times.

Really, seriously, cancel all the games and give me MGR2. I'm good.

Placed 1st in every VR mission and... uh... yup, that's a sword alright. I guess it's a little long.

I was hoping it'd be like a "Sephiroth" katana... but it was only slightly extended. It probably has some sort of stat bonus, I'd guess?

Replaying this game on Revengeance, I noticed it keeps track time of your entire time for your ranking, all your retries compounded and whatnot. Has it always been like this? I don't remember quitting to the main menu and reloading my save every time died during my S-rank run. Maybe I've expunged it from my mind. Man getting Platinum on this game was pure pain.

Pincers are super fun, they also grant you armor during the charge moves. It's unfortunate the sais are kinda crap. It seems more like a support move that should be available to you at all times.

Yes. It's always like that.
Too many retries on a fight and you get a lower ranking.
This is part of what made me back up my saves when going for the all s-rank revengeance run on PS3.

Here's a gif for how hilariously broken OP the Fox Blade is (MGR:R)

fox_by_saxrussel-d72i25b.gif

The fox blade is ridiculous.
It's not an s-rank "easily" tool though, as sometimes you need high combo and zandatsu counts to get enough points and as you can see in the gif, there are 0 zandatsus -- because there was a no damage bonus though, it worked out okay. :)

demidar

Yes it's always been like that. If you didn't manually reload a checkpoint from the start menu, deaths carry over time and impact rankings on encounters (no "No Damage" bonus).

And yes, the strongest property of Pincer charge attacks is super armour. This means you won't flinch from taking damage AND you take reduced damage overall during the animation.

That's already fixed. But the game is very likely to get a patch so my workaround might be invalid later on. I sent extensive documentation to Platinum on what the proper implementation of their display modes should be already. There's these very weird things it does that it requests the refresh rates of the resolution mode internally on the list, but it uses the size of the desktop for the fullscreen display mode... It's no wonder the game just crashes for some people because of that.

I provided the addresses if someone wants to get dirty already. It can get quite a bit unstable for some unknown reasons tho. I've been unable to create a 4k display so far this way, but played through the entire game with native 1440p.

Is there a recommended hex editor to use for this? I downloaded HxD because it seemed like a popular one.

I'm pretty new to things like this, so I'm assuming that the addresses you provided are the offsets in hex or are those only applicable to the program while it's running in memory?

If those are memory addresses I'm assuming I need to use something like cheat engine to do this..

Dario ff

Banned
Is there a recommended hex editor to use for this? I downloaded HxD because it seemed like a popular one.

I'm pretty new to things like this, so I'm assuming that the addresses you provided are the offsets in hex or are those only applicable to the program while it's running in memory?

If those are memory addresses I'm assuming I need to use something like cheat engine to do this..
HxD is fine.

The addresses are just the ones of the exe file. Just backup your exe, and start editing the file with the addresses I mentioned there.

Finalow

fucking camera I have to get used to it again.
anyway is there a way to play again those ranked sections? I mean if I don't restart it before the checkpoint it seems that I can't go back.

Volcynika

Got the Fangs of Fury achievement, easier a bit then I thought it'd be. I was playing for about 48 minutes or so, but it seems to not have counted my retries in the final time and only said I'd played for 26 minutes. Not bad! Tempted a bit to try the 1-hour Revengeance run for Sam buuuuuut probably won't.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
One hour for sam is even easier as the hardest missions are all the optional ones lol.

I think my time was like 21 mins. Didn't even break a sweat.

Weird that the speed runs are the gold trophies

What you really need to do is go for the VLC mission trophies and descend into the depths of madness

Volcynika

One hour for sam is even easier as the hardest missions are all the optional ones lol.

I think my time was like 21 mins. Didn't even break a sweat.

Weird that the speed runs are the gold trophies

What you really need to do is go for the VLC mission trophies and descend into the depths of madness

I'll think about it, might wait till tonight or tomorrow when I see a couple videos.

And HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NO to the VLC missions. D:

McNum

The prologue is one of the hardest fights on Very Hard, but it does get easier when you get all your upgrades back. I found the first three chapters totally manageable, but I had to ragequit in Chapter 4. It's all doable, though, you just have to make sure you don't get swarmed. The worst thing is always going to be getting a bad camera swing that causes you to miss a parry and then just get pounded into the ground by two Mastiffs at once, so always try and stay away from corners and other geometry that might set the camera off.

Other than that, Ripper Mode can be a huge help, and it'll also be useful to know when to use your other weapons. The polearm can be hugely useful for stun-locking armoured enemies, the pincers are great for huge damage, and the sai will shut down certain robots (like GRADs, for example). You'll want to get good at dodging Mastiff grabs, too, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to nail the perfect parry timing on their big overhead slam attack, because you'll be seeing it an awful lot :p
Oh, joy. Mastiffs. Mastiffs everywhere?

And I kind of had an idea that the prologue might be a newbie gate. If you can make it through, you're in the clear for a lot of the game. It's honestly quite impressive from a game design perspective. On Normal, the prologue is there to make you feel awesome. On Very Hard it's there to make you feel weak and if you're up to the challenge.

I don't have the pincers upgraded much yet. Don't really know how to use them properly. the polearm is up to 5, though. Such a nice way to keep lesser cyborgs out of strike range. Also fun in Ripper Mode. Blender time!

Majukun

defeated sam.if i have to rank the desperados fights,i think the best is sundowner,followed by mistral,than sam and last monsoon..but they all are good fights

Clawww

Apologies if already posted.

There's a table with a camera modifier on the cheat engine forums

Default Values are really bad for blade mode

iRmDtVDGRR1XI.png

iquYvq6uCSDxU.png

With a few changes
ibdhxSyCyGtxcI.png

back value = 2

icCt3yk2evcSc.png

back value = 1

Might help some people with camera issues.

sweet, hopefully someone can figure out an optimal setting. the camera further back and out seems awesome but I'm not sure if it would work in all tunnels and corridors this game features

Tecl0n

I've been playing a bit of V.Hard (not R-00, i'm not that good yet)....so many mastiffs. But, with the upgraded weapons, it's so much fun.

Clawww

I have no clue how to use cheat engine but I'm reading through that thread, and it looks like you could even speed up the game for a 'turbo mode'

that + increased camera distance = sweet as fuck

Anteater

I've been playing a bit of V.Hard (not R-00, i'm not that good yet)....so many mastiffs. But, with the upgraded weapons, it's so much fun.

isn't R-00 the tutorial section? I skipped that dog section because they rammed me into the fence and triggered the cutscene :lol

Dahbomb

I have no clue how to use cheat engine but I'm reading through that thread, and it looks like you could even speed up the game for a 'turbo mode'

that + increased camera distance = sweet as fuck
Turbo mode should be possible, they did it for DmC. But that game actually needed it where as things might get too hectic in MGR and you will have to re-learn the parry timings.

I am more interested in how that camera mod works though. Would like to see some videos.

Clawww

Turbo mode should be possible, they did it for DmC. But that game actually needed it where as things might get too hectic in MGR and you will have to re-learn the parry timings.

I am more interested in how that camera mod works though. Would like to see some videos.

I'm screwing around with it right now and it's tricky to get a good camera value, actually.

funnily enough my chapter save was at the sewers, turns out they're actually giant as shit so there's plenty of room for the camera lol

(I'm running it windowed for now + steam compression)

edit:

camera seems to do alright even with walls and shit in the way

blade mode definitely kind of gets fucked up, though

blade mode got pretty fucked up against striders, I couldn't zandatsu them, but it may also have been due to the lower cieling in that case and raiden jumping above them for the blade mode

also the game is definitely way easier with the camera pulled back, lol. it's easy to notice just how jerky and free-willed it is since I hardly have to touch it with the current settings.

edit 2: dear god the attack animations are fucking beautiful in slow-motion.

Dahbomb

LMAO I was going to ask how the new camera worked in Blade mode. Seems like it makes Zandatsus much harder than normal but I am willing to trade if it means a better camera during regular combat.

I'm screwing around with it right now and it's tricky to get a good camera value, actually.

funnily enough my chapter save was at the sewers, turns out they're actually giant as shit so there's plenty of room for the camera lol

(I'm running it windowed for now + steam compression)

edit:

camera seems to do alright even with walls and shit in the way

blade mode definitely kind of gets fucked up, though

blade mode got pretty fucked up against striders, I couldn't zandatsu them, but it may also have been due to the lower cieling in that case and raiden jumping above them for the blade mode

also the game is definitely way easier with the camera pulled back, lol. it's easy to notice just how jerky and free-willed it is since I hardly have to touch it with the current settings.

edit 2: dear god the attack animations are fucking beautiful in slow-motion.
How do you activate it in the game? I got the CT file already but don't know what to do next. I definitely wanna try the camera out.

Clawww

I followed this (lol): http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Cheat-Engine

used the 'cheat table' from the thread Goncalo linked a few posts up: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5515680&sid=c15991e55c184b1e4bbc9fbc57e743a8

it was really straightforward, just check the boxes and double click the values to edit.

here's an awful clip of me getting wrecked at 1.2x speed. warning: OBS didn't record this game nicely at all for some reason so it's a super choppy, shitty recording:

http://www.twitch.tv/tuggromney/b/496233132

re: blade mode... I'm sure some tinkering could lead to the right combination of improved camera + minimally affected blade mode. at least I hope so.

Clawww

also modifying the game speed completely fucks up zandatsu animations for some reason, makes blademode really fast (it just negates the slow motion it seems?), and leads to other funny stuff. if you cancel the slide with blademode raiden just keeps shooting forward really far

I followed this (lol): http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Cheat-Engine

used the 'cheat table' from the thread Goncalo linked a few posts up: http://forum.cheatengine.org/viewtopic.php?p=5515680&sid=c15991e55c184b1e4bbc9fbc57e743a8

it was really straightforward, just check the boxes and double click the values to edit.

here's an awful clip of me getting wrecked at 1.2x speed. warning: OBS didn't record this game nicely at all for some reason so it's a super choppy, shitty recording:

http://www.twitch.tv/tuggromney/b/496233132

re: blade mode... I'm sure some tinkering could lead to the right combination of improved camera + minimally affected blade mode. at least I hope so.
I got it to work, thanks. Gonna mess with it a bit

Neiteio

finished the PC version for the first time, but even though I did it before on console that final boss is still incredible. Except this time I went in with no nanopastes so I couldn't afford to fail the block cutting.

nothing beats the feeling of perfectly cutting the last series and that final zandatsu. Goddamn.
Yep, same thing I did a couple nights ago. I've beat the game before, but this was my first PC playthrough, and I arrived at Armstrong on Hard with zero nanopastes. So I cut the boulder -- failed it the first couple times, but got it on the third try. So many nanopastes as my reward! Rest of the battle is cake after that -- but a magnificent wedding cake with a bikini model popping out. An ice cream wedding cake.

For some reason this makes me think of Honey Badger...

Which leads me to thinking that maybe we need a Raiden vs. Wolverine cross-over...

You're did a no-damage run of R04 on revengeance with all battles USING A FUCKING KEYBOARD AND MOUSE?
I bow to you, ser.

loooooool no, the screenshot button changed the ui, I'm using a dualshock 3.

Don't even have a keyboard atm

loooooool no, the screenshot button changed the ui, I'm using a dualshock 3.

Don't even have a keyboard atm

Still impressive... just not as quite as impressive. ;)
I've been cycling through DS3, DS4, x360 myself...

What layout do you use? I use Type-C because it was the default in the PS3 version... it's a little wonky on the 360 controller, for sure.

Playing on ps3 but I figure there would be more activity in this thread.

Under some old advice of MGR-Gaf, I am trying to play the game on hard - I finished the dmc 1/3 games so apparently I should be ok to play this game on hard.

I am not sure I am :)

30 minutes into the game, and you're fighting 3 gekkos. Right after that, a psychopathic wolf whose health I can't get below 90% before I die.

I know parrying is supposed to be crucial, but so far I can only parry regular soldiers. Are most gekko/wolf attacks unparryable? Or does my timing just suck?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I know parrying is supposed to be crucial, but so far I can only parry regular soldiers. Are most gekko/wolf attacks unparryable? Or does my timing just suck?

Your timing is off or you're not pressing the correct direction.

EVERY attack from Bladewolf is parriable. He is essentially a parry tutorial. All Gekko attacks are parriable except for the ones where he glows yellow.

And make sure you pick up the Defensive Offense skill. Here's some general quick tips: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

McNum

You can parry everything a Gekko does, except for the yellow cable attack. Look for when its legs glow orange. That's your cue. To get a counter, you have to air-parry it, though.

As for the wolf. You can parry every single move it does. But the timing is tricky for its grapple attack. You have to parry WAY sooner than you think on that. Also, remember that you have to parry once per attack, so when the wolf does its three hit combo, you have to parry three times.

If you're not sure of the parry timing, try to parry too early. At least you'll get a block. It's kind of generous with that, even on Hard.

Rnr1224

anyway to skip the splash screens? too many to wait through to get to playing! i know you can make them go by faster but it isnt by much.

Top Bottom