• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Ok, VR18 has my blood boiling.

Some notes:
(1) Apparently the gekko hop cannot be dodged. i'm not sure if this is because of the hitbox coming from above or what... but dodging leads to getting hit. I was trying out dodge because the jackass can cross you up when you try to parry if it goes far enough over you head. I guess it's best to just ninja run out of there if it's hopping toward you.

(2) How the fuck do you (a) get it to lock on to one target and STAY there and (b) how do you cycle targets once you have lock-on engaged -- I've had 2-3 decent runs for finishing VR18 ruined now because either the lock on won't target the wolf or the lock on somehow changes even though it was definitely locked on the wolf. I decided to mix it up and try using EMP charge sai to drop him and was going to use a strategy of evade/sai/attack until the wolf was done... yet, I throw the sai and it randomly targets a fucking dwarf gekko. DAMN IT ALL.

zainetor

Banned

Some notes:
(1) Apparently the gekko hop cannot be dodged. i'm not sure if this is because of the hitbox coming from above or what... but dodging leads to getting hit. I was trying out dodge because the jackass can cross you up when you try to parry if it goes far enough over you head. I guess it's best to just ninja run out of there if it's hopping toward you.

(2) How the fuck do you (a) get it to lock on to one target and STAY there and (b) how do you cycle targets once you have lock-on engaged -- I've had 2-3 decent runs for finishing VR18 ruined now because either the lock on won't target the wolf or the lock on somehow changes even though it was definitely locked on the wolf. I decided to mix it up and try using EMP charge sai to drop him and was going to use a strategy of evade/sai/attack until the wolf was done... yet, I throw the sai and it randomly targets a fucking dwarf gekko. DAMN IT ALL.

1) you can, just learn the right timing. just before they're about to land.

2) sometimes it will switch automatically, dont know why. if you want to switch, targets have to be both on screen, just lean right stick left or right.

Figured out the problem, make sure you do the secret fight on the roof as soon as you land, doing it after the other 2 fights on that building made it not count

235460_2014-01-18_000ncqi7.png

Still impressive... just not as quite as impressive. ;)
I've been cycling through DS3, DS4, x360 myself...

What layout do you use? I use Type-C because it was the default in the PS3 version... it's a little wonky on the 360 controller, for sure.

i think c, which ever has run and items on the triggers and free blade on the right stick

Figured out the problem, make sure you do the secret fight on the roof as soon as you land, doing it after the other 2 fights on that building made it not count

235460_2014-01-18_000ncqi7.png

i think c, which ever has run and items on the triggers and free blade on the right stick

C puts lock-on on R2 and Item on L2 with blade on the right stick. It was default on PS3, I think. A is the reverse of this where item and lock-on go on LB and RB respectively putting run/blade on triggers.

I'm still raging over that damn bullshit with the camera/lock-on in VR18... >_<

Your timing is off or you're not pressing the correct direction.

EVERY attack from Bladewolf is parriable. He is essentially a parry tutorial. All Gekko attacks are parriable except for the ones where he glows yellow.

And make sure you pick up the Defensive Offense skill. Here's some general quick tips: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

Thank you guys. This was hugely helpful. I think I was parrying too late, the 'parry early it will at least be a block' is a lifesaver. I ended up beating blade wolf shortly after that; the only trouble was really just that stupid gecko. For some reason I still have trouble with some of their attacks (like the stomping).

In general should is it interesting to stealth-kill things, or do you get more BP by direct confrontation + zandatsu?

DieH@rd

Banned
Haha, I finished final bossfight, looked end credits, and then game crashed.
ikzPLhJo3g8DB.gif

It didnt save me, I have to kill him again. :D No prob, that fight is not hard.

BTW, congratz to 8-4 crew, English translation was awesome. Nanomachines son. LOL

Burnburn

Phew, just beat VR18, that was one hard fight.

Some notes:

Some tips; the way I beat the gecko is: stand still and block his attack when he does the charge attack, if he doesn't reset (He will do the charge attack 70% of the time)

For the third wave the wolf 50% of the times starts out by throwing knifes at you, if the knives hit one of the hammer bros it will kill of stun them and when they get stunned you can insta kill. Try to make the wolf take out at least one hammer bro, then take out the wolf. The way I took out the wolf was wait until he does a dash attack at you and counter parry it. Then take out the little creatures and use your sai to take out the last hammer bro.

The fifth and final wave is simple if you want to be a bit cheap (hey the mission is cheap, so why can't we be cheap, right?). Pick Sai. Use your strong attack to stun the enemy, then only use light attacks to damage him. When your sai is charged up use strong attack again.

I hope it works, I just spend 4 hours on it.

Zakalwe

Banned
Just played a few hours of this, it's damn intense!

Threw myself at Hard, scored S and A in a few encounters. Blade Wolf was my first real skill check (awesome, awesome fight), that took me a few tries to master.

My only gripe so far is that the camera and lock on function feels really awkward. Is there an easier way to cycle enemies than "hold target, cycle using camera"? It's a little much holding sprint, running and dodging, holding camera, and cycling targets all at once. Or is this simply what I need to get good at?

Anyway, I fully plan on S ranking the Hit out of this. Great game so far; looks surprisingly pretty in 1080p.

f0rk

Hard is quite hard. I'm kinda brute forcing my way through, they don't tell you much at all about the mechanics which is OK but you're fighting those gecko things before I'd really got the hang of parrying. Took me like 20 deaths to beat the 3 dinosaur robots in the sewers, not a fan of the camera and lock on which often seemed to have a mind of its own. I stopped playing when you get the box because I couldn't be bothered with the stealth and the 3 gorilla dudes killed me

Hopefully I'll get better though. Is there a square square triangle equivilent? Really I'm just mashing at the moment and hoping I'm not stuck in a heavy attack when I want to try and parry.

Is A+X the dodge move I bought? That was helping a bit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
In general should is it interesting to stealth-kill things, or do you get more BP by direct confrontation + zandatsu?

I don't think there's a real reason to go stealth unless you want to make a section easier for yourself. Going stealth will actually make you miss a few ranked fights, since it won't give you a rating.

Is A+X the dodge move I bought? That was helping a bit.

Yep, Defensive Offense is practically mandatory.

RPGCrazied

Played it for like 3 hours, most of it was codec calls, lol. So glad they brought it back in force. Just got past the
wolf robot
. It just wouldn't stay still. Had to try several times. Graphics are amazing, even at 720p on PS3.

One thing that bothers me is Raidens voice. Its the same guy from 2 and 4 right? Whats up with all the voice changing from him? Pretty odd.

So far I'm loving it.

I don't think there's a real reason to go stealth unless you want to make a section easier for yourself. Going stealth will actually make you miss a few ranked fights, since it won't give you a rating.

Yep, Defensive Offense is practically mandatory.

While it helps tons, you don't *need* defensive offense to beat the game, which I think is why they made it a purchasable skill instead of something you have by default. (There's a badge/title for beating the game without buying anything apparently?)

In sections where Stealth is a viable option, you usually will not miss a ranked fight because of it. If you're playing on harder difficulties, it helps keep your life up and make things easier overall -- getting dragged into meaningless fights can leave you damaged and not at full strength so when you enter a ranked fight you're at a disadvantage.

Phew, just beat VR18, that was one hard fight.

Some tips; the way I beat the gecko is: stand still and block his attack when he does the charge attack, if he doesn't reset (He will do the charge attack 70% of the time)

For the third wave the wolf 50% of the times starts out by throwing knifes at you, if the knives hit one of the hammer bros it will kill of stun them and when they get stunned you can insta kill. Try to make the wolf take out at least one hammer bro, then take out the wolf. The way I took out the wolf was wait until he does a dash attack at you and counter parry it. Then take out the little creatures and use your sai to take out the last hammer bro.

The fifth and final wave is simple if you want to be a bit cheap (hey the mission is cheap, so why can't we be cheap, right?). Pick Sai. Use your strong attack to stun the enemy, then only use light attacks to damage him. When your sai is charged up use strong attack again.

I hope it works, I just spend 4 hours on it.

Thanks -- I've spent a lot more than four hours on it this time around...

The gekko wave is cake, I'm usually done with that in about 20 seconds... sometimes 60 if he's being stubborn, but if you beat the VR mission, you basically get gold, so that's not really a concern.
The mastiff wave can be frustrating, depending on if I miss the parry on the wall jump to start. I almost *never* get lucky enough to have the execution of the one that got parried take out the second mastiff, but sometimes I get the arm damaged which is enough to help me advance to wave 3.
Wave 3 is bane of my existence. I can normally get the wolf to hit one of the heavies with the knife, but then I try to separate him from the pack and in this process he usually goes for the laser. By the time I notice it, it's too late and I'm in a hit stun loop until death. Other times, I manage to get him away and start breaking his armor, but have to adjust because the rest of the group is on me. This is when a dwarf gekko grabs me from a blind spot and a hammer hits me out of nowhere. I know they don't, but I swear, the two heavies in wave 3 have more speed and more moves than any heavy I ever fought in the game.
I know the rest is not too terrible because I've done it before on PS3. The real key is having a good wave 2 and then managing to destroy the wolf on wave 3... I just can't manage wave 3 at this point where I can get the damn dog dealt with.

I'm missing 2 arms. Are any of them in optional/ hidden fights?

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...eance-trophy-guide-roadmap-2.html#post3646085

There's a few that require some special conditions... like there's one where it will only appear if you stealth destroy the first 2 panels after the elevator fight in R04.
You can figure out which you're missing for sure if you check the names of the ones you have in collectibles menu against those in the link above. I'm betting that R04 is one of them.
You also may have missed that one of the soldiers you knocked out as the dwarf gekko in R02 has an arm to collect.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Played it for like 3 hours, most of it was codec calls, lol. So glad they brought it back in force. Just got past the
wolf robot
. It just wouldn't stay still. Had to try several times. Graphics are amazing, even at 720p on PS3.

One thing that bothers me is Raidens voice. Its the same guy from 2 and 4 right? Whats up with all the voice changing from him? Pretty odd.

So far I'm loving it.

Yeah, his name is Quinton Flynn. He was way more consistent in 2 and 4. His voice is a little off-putting at times in Rising, and believe me it only gets cheesier as you progress through the game.

Still like him being Raiden tho.

MightyKAC

Just beat this on hard yesterday. Never got around to playing it on console outside of the demo so it was my first run through.

Awesome game, awesome sound track, REALLY awesome bosses (although Armstrong on Hard came pretty close to making me rage quit) pretty much awesome everything. I'm glad I pre-ordered and got it for 20$ it but I kinda feels like I ripped off Platinum because of all the content this game gives you. No matter though because I WILL be supporting there future projects from now on.

Zep

Banned
Just beat this on hard yesterday. Never got around to playing it on console outside of the demo so it was my first run through.

Awesome game, awesome sound track, REALLY awesome bosses (although Armstrong on Hard came pretty close to making me rage quit) pretty much awesome everything. I'm glad I pre-ordered and got it for 20$ it but I kinda feels like I ripped off Platinum because of all the content this game gives you. No matter though because I WILL be supporting there future projects from now on.

You really wanna rage quit? Do Jetstream Sam's DLC on hard.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
While it helps tons, you don't *need* defensive offense to beat the game, which I think is why they made it a purchasable skill instead of something you have by default. (There's a badge/title for beating the game without buying anything apparently?)

Defensive offense is not an optional skill as far as I'm concerned. You will not be playing optimally without it, and you are leaving yourself with fewer options for no reason. This is further cemented by the fact that it's so cheap in the store. You can beat the game without it, but you shouldn't unless you're trying to do a "no dodge" run or something.

I don't think there's any missable title like that except for the "Naked and Unloved" which involved not getting any health of FC upgrades on Hard or above. Just reset my game and unlocked that a few days ago.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Aight, about halfway through a Very Hard playthrough and I think I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead. Done it already twice on the PS3, and my tolerance for the camera is just way to low to go through it all over again. It really is a goddamn mess.

Either that or I'll just grind for the Fox Blade + upgrade and cut at will.

Llyranor

Aight, about halfway through a Very Hard playthrough and I think I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead. Done it already twice on the PS3, and my tolerance for the camera is just way to low to go through it all over again. It really is a goddamn mess.

I'm actually really enjoying my playthrough of Very Hard (right now at final boss). Forces me to properly use Ripper mode at proper times (which I never used on Hard)

I'm bound and determined to finish VR18 before I start the DLC. I don't know why.

Damn this mission. Damn it all the way to Hell and back and then back to Hell.

I believe someone tested this out earlier and said that it did not work.

Are all codecs unlocked in that menu? Or only the ones you've heard?

If you want the achievement, it's just a matter of running the codecs any time something changes -- like making sure to talk to boris and doktor especially during every fight in R01. As new enemies show up, they'll tell you about them and it's another +2-+4 conversations down.

Sub_Level

Really not having fun with the final boss on Very Hard.

Blade Mode section never works for me. Sure I can ninja run under it but the fight takes SO LONG plus I don't get the nanopaste drops. No BP left, Muramasa is at basic stats.

*_*

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...eance-trophy-guide-roadmap-2.html#post3646085

There's a few that require some special conditions... like there's one where it will only appear if you stealth destroy the first 2 panels after the elevator fight in R04.
You can figure out which you're missing for sure if you check the names of the ones you have in collectibles menu against those in the link above. I'm betting that R04 is one of them.
You also may have missed that one of the soldiers you knocked out as the dwarf gekko in R02 has an arm to collect.

I never knock them out. Too time-consuming, and only any good for the achievement.

It was the guy who appears after you destroy two panels. So THANKS.

Clawww

try CheatEngine and screwing around with scaling the camera back (see the previous page)

I'm sure someone will work out an easy way/optimal settings as an easy to use mod soon

jett

D-Member

Blade Mode section never works for me. Sure I can ninja run under it but the fight takes SO LONG plus I don't get the nanopaste drops. No BP left, Muramasa is at basic stats.

*_*

Protip: gotta claw it up. Control your angle with both analog sticks and use your right index finger to initiate the slash with the square button. That section really is just a mistake.

*_*

Why is your Muramasa at basic stats?
Do you have any of the wigs?
You can try using the white armor, it might give you 10 nanopaste (not sure if it's automatic).

Protip: gotta claw it up. Control your angle with both analog sticks and use your right index finger to initiate the slash with the square button. That section really is just a mistake.

Or you could just use both sticks and do it as intended.
Just pick your thumb UP off the blade mode stick once the cut is lined up.
Some people recommend changing the blade mode control to left stick (Type B... or D maybe?)

As intended? There's pretty much a 0% chance (statistically verified) that your slash will stay in the same place as you were aiming when you let go of the stick or move it in the opposite direction, and sometimes letting go to press X or Y causes it to slash. How DARE you.

Just beat the last boss!

Only thing I don't get is everyone saying nanopastes drop from slashing the rocks thrown at you... but I slashed all of them (didn't realise you could simply ninja run under it) and nothing :(

As intended? There's pretty much a 0% chance (statistically verified) that your slash will stay in the same place as you were aiming when you let go of the stick or move it in the opposite direction, and sometimes letting go to press X or Y causes it to slash. How DARE you.

Hmmm, stays where mine is pretty much every time. :p

You really have to just lift your thumb off the analog so that it returns to neutral on it's own. I had forgotten this and was having problems with that section until I remembered you just had to line it up and then let go to get it to work right. ;)

Different script, different tone and (probably) different voice direction.

The "Christian Bale" effect probably didn't help either.

Neiteio

Just beat the last boss!

Only thing I don't get is everyone saying nanopastes drop from slashing the rocks thrown at you... but I slashed all of them (didn't realise you could simply ninja run under it) and nothing :(
The nanopastes are scattered all over the ground after Armstrong explodes of the rubble (which happens after you slice his boulders and throw him into the rubble). On my Hard playthrough, there were about four or five nanopastes on the ground.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The "Christian Bale" effect probably didn't help either.

Yeah but to be fair that element of Raiden's character was completely nonexistant in the previous games.

So Flynn wasn't really cast for it when he got the role about 10 years ago. Not surprised he had no idea how to play it while also doing his Raiden voice. That's not the character he was hired to play

Yeah but to be fair that element of Raiden's character was completely nonexistant in the previous games.

So Flynn wasn't really cast for it when he got the role about 10 years ago. Not surprised he had no idea how to play it while also doing his Raiden voice.

Not exactly what I meant, but understandable.

Story spoilers:
So you turn into crazy old "Jack The Ripper" during the Monsoon fight. After that, Raiden is captain split personality. Sometimes you'll do a codec conversation and he's Jack saying something like "Boris, I don't give a damn, I just want to cut out someone's heart." and then you call Boris back again to see if there's anymore and he's back to Raiden with the different voice saying "I can't believe they're doing this to the children... what monsters."

That above really doesn't help you out as you go for more of the story through codecs and you start getting mix and match.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Jack the Ripper was dumb as hell

but I thought it was funny how the codecs would mismatch like that

Sub_Level

Gripping with the claw worked a little better, but the fuel cells run out so fast.

Just gonna beat him the old fashioned way and avoid the blade mode part.
No healing.
No equipment.
Base Muramasa stats.
Final destination.

It's like seriously a 15 minute fight.

singsing has made it to armstrong. he didn't fully upgrade his hp/fuel and he doesn't have nanopaste. i think he's died like 40 times so far. i'm surprised he hasn't raged yet

Clawww

singsing has made it to armstrong. he didn't fully upgrade his hp/fuel and he doesn't have nanopaste. i think he's died like 40 times so far. i'm surprised he hasn't raged yet

he's got a good mindset, I hope he makes it to the end.

fucking laughed my ass off at the stream meltdown when he finally go to
the healing

Some notes:

1. Hm, strange. I don't remember the jumps being undodgeable. The gekko should really not be fought at all, though, just run away from it until it decides to charge, just like in the campaign. It's too risky to try and air parry it or dodge around it because of the little dudes.

2. The lock-on in the game isn't a true lock-on. It just prevents the automatic soft-lock from changing targets. If the target manages to leave the frame it'll try to find another target and lock on to that one. Lock-on isn't particularly useful on VR18, it's much better to manually adjust the camera. The dwarf gekkos tend to mess with it a ton because the lock-on will stick to them if your target is unavailable (either by the camera bumping against the wall or if they jump offscreen), which is a massive pain.

Anteater

The camera is kind of making me mash block and evade a lot more because I need to reposition myself, sometimes I have no idea what's going on and I just go with the flow, it looks like I'm some crazy ninja and blocking, evading and somehow was able to parry that one guy on the left because fuck that's the only attack I could see, but in reality I'm kind of just mashing, I'm kind of disliking my playthrough because of this :lol

Top Bottom