• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Grief.exe

Thanks for everyone's help in reporting bugs and issues, I just handed a hefty report over to Kojima Studios to check over all the issues reported so far and will continue to keep updates coming on progress.

Again, thank you for your vigilance in this issue! (and to Steam Forums, Facebook page and calls to Customer Service).

Thanks for coming in and letting us know Tora!

Nyoro SF

Thanks for everyone's help in reporting bugs and issues, I just handed a hefty report over to Kojima Studios to check over all the issues reported so far and will continue to keep updates coming on progress.

Again, thank you for your vigilance in this issue! (and to Steam Forums, Facebook page and calls to Customer Service).

You are the man.

If they fix the mouse issue, you are a GOD

Almost thought that sentence was going to escalate into "And that mob outside our offices".

Awesome news though, can't wait!

Yeah, I'm tired of having to leave the office with my comically oversize'd spectacles and mustache with a very inconspicuous newspaper in front of my face to avoid the eggs and tomatoes.

Yeah, and about that Mistrel keyart... everyone here was like "About that hand...?", I was just like "Yeah, so what?" Sam is my favorite of the four winds, though.

After having a bunch of MGR vids show up on my youtube feeds/recommendations after the PC release, I'm convinced that parrying/dodging isn't the most important skill in the game, it's proper camera manipulation. Knowing when to lock on and when you manually adjust is how the game stops being a difficult claustrophobic mess and start being fun, and it's honestly frustrating watching people get repeatedly owned by off-screen enemies or just screaming "WHERE IS HE" during their let's plays.
Honestly, the camera, the controls, and the poorly explained feedback are probably the main things kicking the ass of genre unfamiliar players (like me). The camera is a fairly obvious issue, but I've pretty much given up on Zandatsus because I can't react fast enough to the cues (especially the screen turning blue) and holding down multiple buttons doesn't really feel natural to me. It's especially bad in (mini-)boss fights, because by the time I notice the cue, I'm slicing up some other dude or getting wrecked by the boss. I'm gonna try tweaking my Pinnacle profile for the game, but I don't know if it's going to solve my problems.

It would be interesting to see how it would work with a Pinnacle mapped Wii-mote.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah, I'm tired of having to leave the office with my comically oversize'd spectacles and mustache with a very inconspicuous newspaper in front of my face to avoid the eggs and tomatoes.

Yeah, and about that Mistrel keyart... everyone here was like "About that hand...?", I was just like "Yeah, so what?" Sam is my favorite of the four winds, though.

Khasmin forever forgotten.

So this has been out for a few weeks, is it worth buying?

Some specific questions to my setup:
-4:3 support? (without black bars)
-75hz support?
-are there any graphics options to turn off blur,bloom,vsync, post process AA etc

Is it a decent port in general? Any stutter or input lag or heavy screentearing?

So this has been out for a few weeks, is it worth buying?

Some specific questions to my setup:
-4:3 support? (without black bars)
-75hz support?
-are there any graphics options to turn off blur,bloom,vsync, post process AA etc

Is it a decent port in general? Any stutter or input lag or heavy screentearing?
Yes to graphics options, dunno about 4:3, and no 75Hz support at the moment (IIRC).

Might be a dumb question, but how do you play the Jetstream DLC? Do you have to beat the game to unlock it? Am I missing something in the main menu?

Spaghetti

i keep coming back to this game, it's got that pick up and play charm to it

i'm fairly sure someone else said it, and in this thread no less, but i feel the zandatsu gimmick is kind of a revolutionary feature for the character action game, it's just so stylish at the same time as being enjoyable and mechanic enhancing

McNum

Picked up Very Hard where I left off. Chapter two is now done.

Dear PlatinumGames. Nice one with the boss on Very Hard R-02.
I thought I was seeing double for a second until I realized there were TWO Grads in the room, not just one as expected.
Well played, well played indeed.

Next up, the marathon chapters 3 and 4. I am not looking forward to Monsoon. Or the elevator ride. If any part of Very Hard will make me ragequit, it's probably either of those.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I read in another thread that this game is pretty much a Beat Em Up in 3D. Is this accurate? If I like RE: The Mercenaries, would I like this game?

ArjanN

I thought I was good at counter parrying but apparently on hard I suck hard.

I played the game on hard the first go, tried out normal and the parry window is huge in comparison.

I read in another thread that this game is pretty much a Beat Em Up in 3D. Is this accurate? If I like RE: The Mercenaries, would I like this game?

Probably, yeah. Mercenaries mode in RE is actually quite a bit like a character action game.

Platinum's Anarchy Reigns and Mad World would be what I'd call 3D Brawlers, While MGR is in the same genre as Devil May Cry and Bayonetta due to it's use of weapons, most of the enemies you fight against are human rather than demons and angels so it's closer to a brawler than most of it's ilk.

If you've never played a Platinum game I'd recommend checking them out if you love old arcade games as they do have that arcade feel to them, just like Capcom did 10 years ago.

Teknoman

Would playing borderless windowed decrease performance? The shrunken screen effect over HDMI at 1080p is just too distracting at this point.

McNum

Hey Raiden, how how's my first Very Hard run going?

"We're done here!"

Indeed we are. Very Hard complete!

Not that the grade is anything to brag about. Almost Cs all the way.

That was fun, and the game wasn't nearly as big an asshole as I feared it might have been. It could have been much, much meaner with enemies. Not that replacing most of all stealth segments with Mastiffs or placing a Grad in the sewers in chapter 2 wasn't mean, but I sort of expected a Grad or two in the freight elevator part.

Monsoon wasn't as scary as I thought, Sundowner on the other hand was scarier than I thought. Sam was, well, Sam. And Armstrong did a ton of damage when he hit. Like 50 or more. Also, is the unarmed phase different on Very Hard? I could have sworn that you could progress by getting Raiden beat up on Hard and Normal but trying that on Very Hard just used up Nanopastes. I had to wait him out instead.

Ah, well. I wasn't sure if i could do this, and I can certainly be better at the game, but... I did beat Metal Gear Rising on Very Hard. No wigs, no DLC items. Just a beefed up Murasama, an almost maxed out Armor Breaker and all the Health/Power upgrades in the game.

But the war still rages within... Revengeance difficulty unlocked!

Is Revengeance harder than Very Hard or does the super parry actually make things easier?

zainetor

Banned
Hey Raiden, how how's my first Very Hard run going?

"We're done here!"

Indeed we are. Very Hard complete!

Not that the grade is anything to brag about. Almost Cs all the way.

That was fun, and the game wasn't nearly as big an asshole as I feared it might have been. It could have been much, much meaner with enemies. Not that replacing most of all stealth segments with Mastiffs or placing a Grad in the sewers in chapter 2 wasn't mean, but I sort of expected a Grad or two in the freight elevator part.

Monsoon wasn't as scary as I thought, Sundowner on the other hand was scarier than I thought. Sam was, well, Sam. And Armstrong did a ton of damage when he hit. Like 50 or more. Also, is the unarmed phase different on Very Hard? I could have sworn that you could progress by getting Raiden beat up on Hard and Normal but trying that on Very Hard just used up Nanopastes. I had to wait him out instead.

Ah, well. I wasn't sure if i could do this, and I can certainly be better at the game, but... I did beat Metal Gear Rising on Very Hard. No wigs, no DLC items. Just a beefed up Murasama, an almost maxed out Armor Breaker and all the Health/Power upgrades in the game.

But the war still rages within... Revengeance difficulty unlocked!

Is Revengeance harder than Very Hard or does the super parry actually make things easier?

it's so and so.
It's easier because you can kill a boss in a minute if you counter parry him(enemies die instantly ) But they also deal tons of damage. If you dont have nanopasted equipped, it's 90% time 1 hit kill.

McNum

it's so and so.
It's easier because you can kill a boss in a minute if you counter parry him(enemies die instantly ) But they also deal tons of damage. If you dont have nanopasted equipped, it's 90% time 1 hit kill.
So I should get better at parrying before tackling Revengeance.

Ah, well, for today, I'm just gonna be happy that I beat Very Hard. That's the highest I've beaten a game like this on. The closest thing would probably be my attempt at beating Viewtiful Joe on V-Rated, but I couldn't get through the sub stage.

And Armstrong did a ton of damage when he hit. Like 50 or more. Also, is the unarmed phase different on Very Hard? I could have sworn that you could progress by getting Raiden beat up on Hard and Normal but trying that on Very Hard just used up Nanopastes. I had to wait him out instead.

Yeah, me too. On Hard and lower you just let him beat you up, Raiden goes to 0.1% and the cutscene happens, but on Very Hard he just killed me every time. I also wasn't able to make it progress by beating him up, so I think you do have to wait him out.

zainetor

Banned
Yeah, me too. On Hard and lower you just let him beat you up, Raiden goes to 0.1% and the cutscene happens, but on Very Hard he just killed me every time. I also wasn't able to make it progress by beating him up, so I think you do have to wait him out.

YOu have to wait or lower his health to a certain point, but if he beats you up till 0,1 it triggers next phase.

Revengeance mode is nowhere near as hard as Ultra V-Rated in Viewtiful Joe. As annoying as Armstrong is, he's nothing compared to King Blue.

And you do have to wait out Armstrong on Very Hard and up. I almost got him to 98%, but then I died from the shockwave. Better to just sprint around and jump away from him every time he charges at you.

McNum

You know, playing Very Hard made me realize something, so let's talk blades for a moment.

What I realized is that... The Murasama Blade, while a good boss killer and a good all-round weapon, is probably not the best sword to use for fighting normal enemies. Because those kinds of enemies come in two kinds, more or less. Unarmored foes, who you can just stagger and Blade Mode even with an unupgraded standard HF Blade, and armored foes, who you need to hit a lot to get a Zandatsu opportunity, even with the Murasama.

No, I think my go-to blade for Revengeance, once I get it fully upgraded will be the Armor Breaker. I got it mostly upgraded by chapter 7 on Very Hard and took it for a test run. It makes armored foes a lot easier to deal with since each hit has a chance to break ALL their armor. I think it's 50%, too. So, on a bad day, a Heavy Cyborg will take three hits to get a Blade Mode opportunity. That much better than the 10-15 hits the Murasama needs.

Because, really, damage doesn't matter as much on normal foes as it does on bosses. All you need is a Blade Mode opportunity. So a sword that gives more of those, is a good sword.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason to use the Murasama against normal foes that the Armor Breaker can't do?

popyea

Here's Mike Kob's totally awesome speedrun of the Sam DLC on Revengeance, no upgrades:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a09VEzlZfOk

The video's just over 11 minutes long. Definitely worth a watch. Lots of neat tricks and planning.

Awesome video. Though it's put the ungodly thought that maybe I'd like an orchestral soundtrack rather than what we got. I guess you can't go wrong with either, but the way the music ended as he defeated armstrong was beautiful.

demidar

You know, playing Very Hard made me realize something, so let's talk blades for a moment.

What I realized is that... The Murasama Blade, while a good boss killer and a good all-round weapon, is probably not the best sword to use for fighting normal enemies. Because those kinds of enemies come in two kinds, more or less. Unarmored foes, who you can just stagger and Blade Mode even with an unupgraded standard HF Blade, and armored foes, who you need to hit a lot to get a Zandatsu opportunity, even with the Murasama.

No, I think my go-to blade for Revengeance, once I get it fully upgraded will be the Armor Breaker. I got it mostly upgraded by chapter 7 on Very Hard and took it for a test run. It makes armored foes a lot easier to deal with since each hit has a chance to break ALL their armor. I think it's 50%, too. So, on a bad day, a Heavy Cyborg will take three hits to get a Blade Mode opportunity. That much better than the 10-15 hits the Murasama needs.

Because, really, damage doesn't matter as much on normal foes as it does on bosses. All you need is a Blade Mode opportunity. So a sword that gives more of those, is a good sword.

Am I missing something here? Is there a reason to use the Murasama against normal foes that the Armor Breaker can't do?

If you're hunting for S ranks, a weak and fast weapon will give you the hits you need to get points at the end of an encounter. Other than that, it's not that important.

Although you don't have to cut up a broken foe and keep whaling on them I suppose.

TnK

Armor Breaker is a broken weapon. Unlocked it, used it a bit, and never bothered. It is similar to Fox Blade, except a bit less broken.

Overall best weapon is the normal HF blade. I used it in all my playthroughs, and when fully upgraded, it can take on anything in the game easily. Gives you the right amount of damage and combo.

McNum

So my my hunch was right. Armor Breaker is more powerful that it initially seemed. Add the Blade Mode Wig and it basically IS the FOX Blade.

I'm a bit surprised at hearing that the standard HF Blade is better than the Murasama for rankings. I thought ending the fight fast and getting a No Damage bonus was the way to go?

Well, I'm not going for rankings just yet. I'm still a bit surprised that I beat Very Hard. Didn't think I was that good at this game. Of course, being able to beat a difficulty is different from mastering it. I skipped a whole lot of optional fights, after all.

You know, one question for future ranking attempts... Do I have to S-rank it all in one go? I noticed that if I improve a chapter it gets a NEW tag on the game completion screen. So I "just" have to S-rank any chapter once, the order doesn't matter? Does the same go with individual fights in a chapter?

So my my hunch was right. Armor Breaker is more powerful that it initially seemed. Add the Blade Mode Wig and it basically IS the FOX Blade.

I'm a bit surprised at hearing that the standard HF Blade is better than the Murasama for rankings. I thought ending the fight fast and getting a No Damage bonus was the way to go?

Well, I'm not going for rankings just yet. I'm still a bit surprised that I beat Very Hard. Didn't think I was that good at this game. Of course, being able to beat a difficulty is different from mastering it. I skipped a whole lot of optional fights, after all.

You know, one question for future ranking attempts... Do I have to S-rank it all in one go? I noticed that if I improve a chapter it gets a NEW tag on the game completion screen. So I "just" have to S-rank any chapter once, the order doesn't matter? Does the same go with individual fights in a chapter?
You can S-rank each chapter in any order you want, but you have to S-rank every fight in one playthrough of the chapter.

McNum

You can S-rank each chapter in any order you want, but you have to S-rank every fight in one playthrough of the chapter.
Generally, can you hit Restart when the results screen is up to try the fight again? I seem to remember doing that in the demo on PS3 to fight Wolf more.

I'm getting the feeling S-ranking this game is going to be a ton of restarts. Except the few fights I already know how to S-rank.

Well, going to have to actually beat Revengeance first, of course.

Coppanuva

Is there any way to go back and get repair pastes from previous missions without losing my progress on the current one? I'm stuck on the final boss (with a checkpoint at him) and I'm needing the repair pastes I think, but I don't want to go regrab it if I'll lose my checkpoint at the final boss :\

RPGCrazied

Beat it last night, the ending was kind of meh. The overall game was awesome, and some of the cutscenes were really cool.

Just started the Sam DLC, and holy hell is it tough even on Normal mode.

Generally, can you hit Restart when the results screen is up to try the fight again? I seem to remember doing that in the demo on PS3 to fight Wolf more.

You can if you're quick about it. The game usually checkpoints after the ranking screen comes up, so you have to be ready to hit restart. And, yeah, going for S-Ranks is going to involve a looooot of restarts. As long as you can get that No Damage bonus you'll get the S most of the time, but even 0.1% damage from a single bullet will ruin things for you. You can get a bonus for No Kills, though, which can really help out in certain situations. Usually going for No Kills will mean you won't get the points for Zandatsus, but if you're in a really tough fight with a bunch of UGs and one or two human enemies (like the final one on the freight elevator), you can take out the human non-lethally and Zandatsu the rest of'em

I'm planning on beating Revengeance, but I don't think I'll ever try and S-Rank the whole thing. Some of those ranked sections like the World Marshall lobby bit and the forced-slow-walking part in chapter 3 just seem like total nightmares. I love this game, but I don't love it that much :p

kiaaa

You can if you're quick about it. The game usually checkpoints after the ranking screen comes up, so you have to be ready to hit restart. And, yeah, going for S-Ranks is going to involve a looooot of restarts. As long as you can get that No Damage bonus you'll get the S most of the time, but even 0.1% damage from a single bullet will ruin things for you. You can get a bonus for No Kills, though, which can really help out in certain situations. Usually going for No Kills will mean you won't get the points for Zandatsus, but if you're in a really tough fight with a bunch of UGs and one or two human enemies (like the final one on the freight elevator), you can take out the human non-lethally and Zandatsu the rest of'em

I'm planning on beating Revengeance, but I don't think I'll ever try and S-Rank the whole thing. Some of those ranked sections like the World Marshall lobby bit and the forced-slow-walking part in chapter 3 just seem like total nightmares. I love this game, but I don't love it that much :p

I don't remember the lobby section requiring a no damage run, but the RPGs are a massive pain in the ass.

The walking part just involves a whole ton of patience and No Damage/Kills can get you an S.

McNum

I don't remember the lobby section requiring a no damage run, but the RPGs are a massive pain in the ass.

The walking part just involves a whole ton of patience and No Damage/Kills can get you an S.
So, you just bring the Wooden Sword for the walking parts?

And yeah, I don't think I want to go for S ranks just yet... if ever. Honestly, I think I need a bit more practice before Revengeance. That first battle in the prologue is going to be awful if the Gekko does even more damage...

Is there a trick to that one? Like grabbing a slow-mo Blade Mode off one of the solders and abuse the infinite energy to walk around in Blade Mode at superspeed?

demidar

So, you just bring the Wooden Sword for the walking parts?

And yeah, I don't think I want to go for S ranks just yet... if ever. Honestly, I think I need a bit more practice before Revengeance. That first battle in the prologue is going to be awful if the Gekko does even more damage...

Is there a trick to that one? Like grabbing a slow-mo Blade Mode off one of the solders and abuse the infinite energy to walk around in Blade Mode at superspeed?

Run away to bait the Gekko into charging. Blocking that will lead to an insta-kill QTE.

demidar

Without Raiden's upgrades? I tried doing that on Very Hard, even got the charge-block QTE, but I didn't get the execution prompt after it.

I haven't tested it out, but since you can trigger those QTEs on grunts, I assume you could do it to Gekkos.

RPGCrazied

Is there any way to go back and get repair pastes from previous missions without losing my progress on the current one? I'm stuck on the final boss (with a checkpoint at him) and I'm needing the repair pastes I think, but I don't want to go regrab it if I'll lose my checkpoint at the final boss :\

Had this exact some problem. Took many tries before I won. You just have to learn the bosses pattern. When it flashes red you can roll around the boss an attack, but when it flashes yellow I found you have to get away from the boss. Not sure if you can get repair items from slashing the big rocks it throws at you, but I sucked trying to get those in time, so I just ran to the side so they wouldn't hit me.

McNum

Here's what you can do.

Start the fight, and beat on the boss until he does the debris throwing attack. Win that QTE, (You need to move the camera AND the cutting angle to line it up) and he'll drop four Nanopastes.

When you do that, and it may take a few tries to get working, call Courtney on the codec immediately and save. Your checkpoint will be updated with the Nanopastes so if you die, you start with all of them.

Top Bottom