• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Ein Bear

What wave is giving you trouble?

I cant get past the third wave, with the Wolf and two hammer guys. Can usually take out one of the hammers by having the wolf's opening knife attack hit him, but then I die a few seconds later when lasers start flying.

I haven't enjoyed the VR Missions in general, really. The time limits on them are so ridiculously strict that beating them is mostly just down to luck, and hoping the AI do certain things.

TnK

Any situation, you can't die at all. Last time I attempted it I got killed by one of Armstrong's debris D:

I'll probably make a back up save before the Part where you run up the building in chapter 4 and before armstrong. I don't want to die stupidly there (again).

Dying near the end sound really frustrating. Good luck on getting the title again.

Currently waiting for a really good texture mod + graphical mod to replay the game again on Revengeance.

Burnburn

Does anyone know the titles you earn can be stacked?

So If I go for Divine Wind title, will I also earn Cyclone, Gale Force etc titles?

They do not, I only got Divine Wind from my Revengeance playthrough. Maybe you do get Gale Force and Cyclone together if you complete < 3 hours it on Very Hard.

Armstrong defeated! (on hard, first play through)

Enjoyed that fight a lot, actually; maybe i got lucky (i finished in about 45 minutes), but I never thought it was deeply unfair, or spectacularly difficult. And boy did it make me feel like a badass. I always had trouble with blade mode, but somehow the metal gear pieces were not *that hard* to take down (after memorization of pattern, of course); in fact, I thought it was easier than sundowner's armor pieces, which somehow I could never completely get down (it would always seem that 95% of its arms were covered by the explosive shit, at least the parts armstrong throws at you are steady).

Great game in case, though with quite a number of flaws given the adoring reception of GAF (my two biggest problems with the game: the awful camera makes it that much more unpleasant to fight armies of enemies, than say a boss- the game should be tons of boss-like encounters; and the fact that the game gets easier over time, difficulty is scaled poorly. You can have encounters of three mastiffs - if you are aggressive- at the beginning of the game, with little health, poor sword, and no ripper mode. By the end, ripper mode makes short work of lots of the harder enemies, and there are lots of weaker enemies to serve as walking life/energy supplies. How the hell is Denver, a stage filled with 'regular guys', in the middle of the game, before the sewer stage.)

The boss theme lyrics manage to give a sense of what these characters' motivations and ideologies are despite most of them never being fleshed out in any way. None of the bosses feel underutilised because of it.

Tecl0n

Holy ****. I finally got a replacement gpu and can now play at 60. I'm getting destroyed, my timing is all wrong now D:

Is there a way to dodge the pieces of Excelsus Armstrong throws at you, I'm having lots of problems with it.

Run towards him and under the debris.

Is there a way to dodge the pieces of Excelsus Armstrong throws at you, I'm having lots of problems with it.

It's always the same sequence of patterns, unless you're confident about the rest of the fight, I'd try to learn it, b/c the nano pastes are invaluable imo.

Quick rotation one way for the first, look up + quick rotation the other way for the second, horizontal strike third, and armstrong in the face fourth.

I would try to get it as 'correct' as possible and slash, you don't have that much time, and I get the feeling that for this difficult cut, the game helps you and snaps it correctly if you are close (but i could be wrong; i just feel i got better at it when i would quickly get close and slash without overthinking it).

If you're good enough without requiring nano pastes (i started the fight with too few), then just ninja dodge forward.

nStruct

Neo Member
Just finished it today and really loved it. I almost gave up at the Blade Wolf fight since the game didn't really explain its systems at all, but after reading up online to clarify how the combat worked it was smooth sailing for the rest of the game. Glad I stuck with it, the combat system is fantastic and the boss fights are tons of fun. Especially that last boss fight, so good!

Aside from the poor introduction, the only other thing that really bothered me was the camera. It seemed to have a mind of its own, even when locked on to targets. There were many times that my flow was interrupted due to the camera swinging around in unexpected ways.

Just finished it today and really loved it. I almost gave up at the Blade Wolf fight since the game didn't really explain its systems at all, but after reading up online to clarify how the combat worked it was smooth sailing for the rest of the game. Glad I stuck with it, the combat system is fantastic and the boss fights are tons of fun. Especially that last boss fight, so good!

Aside from the poor introduction, the only other thing that really bothered me was the camera. It seemed to have a mind of its own, even when locked on to targets. There were many times that my flow was interrupted due to the camera swinging around in unexpected ways.
I managed to get past the Blade Wolf fight after tons of runs in the 2nd or 3rd tutorial and using Pinnacle to turn the Blade Mode and Ninja Run controls into toggles instead of having to hold them down. I don't think I've seen a game that's been this bad at giving you the information you need to succeed since the early 2000s.

Valnen

Have the urge to replay this but I'm waiting on a patch to fix the 50hz bug. Don't wanna play it in borderless windowed again.

Drake

It took me like 10 tries to beat Sundowner. I hated that fight. It was so bad for me because I couldn't seem to take his shield down and I barely did any damage to him whenever I hit him. It was a 10 minute fight when I finally beat him.(I just ignored his shield)

Then I was expecting Sam to be an absolutely brutal encounter and I beat him on my 2nd try. Go figure.

Burnburn

Yep. I hate it, easily the worst section in all the game imo.

Ripper mode is your friend. I don't know if you're against it, but when I started using ripper mode (without the wig) Revengeance difficulty became much more easy. Enemy with armor -> Ripper mode.

Ripper mode is your friend. I don't know if you're against it, but when I started using ripper mode (without the wig) Revengeance difficulty became much more easy. Enemy with armor -> Ripper mode.

ripper mode + pincers almost as broken/cheating as the fox blade or wigs honestly

Burnburn

ripper mode + pincers is broken/cheating as the fox blade or wigs honestly

Only used the Muramusa + ripper mode, because I agree. But sometimes to get no damage you almost have to use it. I mean that elevator part with the 2 mastiffs, the sliders and the hammer dude would be hell without it. With it I cleared it really easy, 5 minutes tops.

Except that part is all about the secondary weapons like RPGs, grenades, etc. It is seriously bad. You spent like 10 mins blasting the homing missile then some GRAD comes and keeps spamming rockets all fucking day.

Burnburn

Except that part is all about the secondary weapons like RPGs, grenades, etc. It is seriously bad. You spent like 10 mins blasting the homing missile then some GRAD comes and keeps spamming rockets all fucking day.

Oh you're talking about that part, lol. I thought you were talking about the part where you're riding the elevator. Are you trying to get no damage, because it's not worth getting no damage on that one.

Drake

So do I have to get his life to a certain percentage, or is that phase timed? Can I just run around and parry?

So do I have to get his life to a certain percentage, or is that phase timed? Can I just run around and parry?

Pretty sure it's percentage based. Don't forget to use defensive offensive anyway, it's probably more important in this fight than in any other one in the game.
Doubly so when you do it as Sam.

Uraizen

Banned
The community hubs can be amazing sometimes.

community_image_139111jdx2.gif

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

~160% is when he starts throwing debris.

You can also run straight underneath it, but you'll get no nanopaste.

I just finished the game and whilst I didn't enjoy the systems as much as other action games due to their simplicity Armstrong is by far my favourite action game final boss. The whole thing was absurdly good, from the cutscenes to the use of bade-mode to the fact you can flat out merc the fucker.

Early on in the game I really felt that parrying was a pretty dull mechanic, the most efficient way to play was seemingly to wait and parry everything's attacks for instant kills. However as soon as some of the bigger enemies come into play (I'm thinking the gorilla jerks) you start to learn offensive defence is an equally powerful tool. From that point you start assessing which is the best tool for the scenario and it comes to ahead in the Armstrong fight.

I had a few dodgy attempts but then after I picked up on his patterns I was able to just flat out wail on him, dodge his quick/fire attacks, then wail on him again. I knew when the game wanted me to parry due to his charge times and the QTE sequences punctuated my success. In the end the fight felt really easy but only because I leant how to play the game, that made the battle satisfying; especially given all of the cinematic flair. It was such a refreshing fight compared to the usual tedious gigantic boss showdowns.

EMT0

Banned
So I beat this two days ago. It was my first Platinum game, my first Metal Gear game, and my second action game after DMC4. And God. Damn. I'm now really hoping the Sega PC ports petition goes somewhere.

I don't know what it is with Platinum action games. I am not incompetent. Played through all the good Devil May Cry games on the hardest difficulty and didn't struggle that much in the process. Both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta were supposedly really dumbed down compared to things like DMC, but here I am completely incapable of playing them.

I am enjoying absolutely no part of this. This is stunlock: the videogame. I go to a room and then keep exploding across the room forever from getting hit with all sorts of things. Much like with Bayonetta, the only tactic that somewhat works for me is mashing buttons randomly. Whenever I try to apply any kind of skill to it I'm just watching Raiden being thrown around.

I just realized
Sunny is supposed to be 11. Thought she was 14/15 but if it's 4 years after MGS4 then yeah...
Not that being 3 or 4 years older would've made the whole thing less ridiculous lol but yeah... Smart kid.

Stealth kills are extremely satisfying to execute in this game, was surprised to see I can even do them on those big mechs and disappointed when I realized I couldn't do them with Sam.

I just realized
Sunny is supposed to be 11. Thought she was 14/15 but if it's 4 years after MGS4 then yeah...
Not that being 3 or 4 years older would've made the whole thing less ridiculous lol but yeah... Smart kid.
Considering she was adopted by Otacon and the whole Patriots thing, she could probably build her own fucking Metal Gear if she felt like it.

demidar

I don't know what it is with Platinum action games. I am not incompetent. Played through all the good Devil May Cry games on the hardest difficulty and didn't struggle that much in the process. Both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta were supposedly really dumbed down compared to things like DMC, but here I am completely incapable of playing them.

I am enjoying absolutely no part of this. This is stunlock: the videogame. I go to a room and then keep exploding across the room forever from getting hit with all sorts of things. Much like with Bayonetta, the only tactic that somewhat works for me is mashing buttons randomly. Whenever I try to apply any kind of skill to it I'm just watching Raiden being thrown around.

MGR is more Ninja Gaiden than DMC. Have you bought Defensive Offense from the shop? That would help with survivability and mobility.

A.B.D.O.

Always Be Defensive Offensing.

Seriously, it's an attack and a dodge, and it keeps you close to enemies, and it's riddled with i-frames. It's win/win/win.

EDIT - Oh, and free Dodge Offset, too! No need to hold the attack button down while dodging like Bayonetta.

Top Bottom