• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Kade

My download hit 15GB before Steam decided to restart it. :/

Going to be a while until I can play this for the hundredth time. Half way to my bandwidth limit for the month and it hasn't even been a full week yet. Aye yai yai!

I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the parry move. Am i right in assuming that there is a sort of middle ground parry - one where you don't whiff/take damage, but where you don't get a direct follow attack or a finishing blade mode prompt?

I noticed this especially during Mistral. It felt like my timing was just barely off perfect, so I'd negate any damage but wouldn't really get to counter. Am I crazy?

That's all parrying is. When Raiden automatically counter-attacks and you get the Blade Mode prompt (or the Y+B prompt) that's called a perfect parry, but if you don't nail that timing perfectly it's just parrying, and it's pretty much the same as a block move in most other action games. The window for a regular parry is very generous, too. You can press forward and X when an enemy's only starting their attack, and you'll see Raiden assume the pose and hold it for a second or so.

popyea

I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the parry move. Am i right in assuming that there is a sort of middle ground parry - one where you don't whiff/take damage, but where you don't get a direct follow attack or a finishing blade mode prompt?

I noticed this especially during Mistral. It felt like my timing was just barely off perfect, so I'd negate any damage but wouldn't really get to counter. Am I crazy?

It's kind of confusing, because some people call that negation of damage with your sword a parry and some a block. I think the game terminology is that it's a parry, and the one where you block the attack and then automatically follow up is called a perfect parry, with a parry counter.

ArjanN

Correct. If your parry timing isn't perfect but still inside the general parry window you just block.

Levyne

Banned
Something happened in my game and it was running in 16:10 (1920x1200) didn't appear to be stretched either.

Yeah I lucked into this somehow yesterday as well. Dunno how. But it didn't persist.

I had figured out what the game meant by "parry" and "perfect parry" but I can see why people might prefer the terms "block" and "parry" instead.

For the new page:

Those three
big dinosaur / dog-like enemies
you meet up in the sewers right after you meet up with Georgie boy were pretty challenging on Hard, god damn.

Any tips on beating those safely, outside of a little patience and trying to land succesful parries? I understand their patterns well enough and things went expectedly smoother after taking out the legs on one of them, but when all three are alive the situation tends to stay hectic.
Already defeated them, but I took in far too many hits and I'd like to improve my handling of this fight.

VAD

Just finished the prologue. I really liked playing with a superior framerate.
I have an issue with the game, it seems my HD5870 cannot perform overscan with the game. Does anyone else has the same problem?

I'm playing the 360 version, but I played through all the way to the last boss I'm guessing. He's an asshole. I'll try again tomorrow.

I like the game, but the story is horrible and ridiculous, even by Metal Gear standards, and so is the voice acting.

zainetor

Banned
For the new page:

Already defeated them, but I took in far too many hits and I'd like to improve my handling of this fight.

there's not much you can do at the moment.
try to stun 1 of them as fast as you can.
perfect parry are useless because they can dodge them, unless they're legs are blue.

so it's either stun them or cut their legs as soon as you can.

ah, you can parry their vulcan cannon just like regular blows. It's the same for the gekkos.

antitrop

I'm playing the 360 version, but I played through all the way to the last boss I'm guessing. He's an asshole. I'll try again tomorrow.

I like the game, but the story is horrible and ridiculous, even by Metal Gear standards, and so is the voice acting.
The VO director deserves awards and a promotion, I wouldn't change a thing.

That's all parrying is. When Raiden automatically counter-attacks and you get the Blade Mode prompt (or the Y+B prompt) that's called a perfect parry, but if you don't nail that timing perfectly it's just parrying, and it's pretty much the same as a block move in most other action games. The window for a regular parry is very generous, too. You can press forward and X when an enemy's only starting their attack, and you'll see Raiden assume the pose and hold it for a second or so.

It's kind of confusing, because some people call that negation of damage with your sword a parry and some a block. I think the game terminology is that it's a parry, and the one where you block the attack and then automatically follow up is called a perfect parry, with a parry counter.

Correct. If your parry timing isn't perfect but still inside the general parry window you just block.

Alright, makes sense to me. I was always wondering if it was a context thing or a timing thing, so this clears it up. Gotta go for those perfect parries.

On a sidenote - I just can't believe how long I've neglected this game. This is my first time playing it, save for one runthrough of the PS3 demo. I was too low on cash to play this on console, so I've been on an unintentional blackout of sorts where I knew I'd love this game (big Platinum fan, huge character action game fan) but knew it would be a while before I got to play it. The soundtrack is godly, the action is super smooth. Pairing Platinum with Kojima solves my biggest problem with Vanquish which was how uninterested I was in any cutscene or story.

The best thing, though, is seeing this bad boy in 60 frames/1080 - it's a dream come true.

Although, the frames start chugging when I hit 300+ pieces on screen

solarus

Ok the game runs great for me but it does not save my data AT ALL. Fuck. I started the game from the beginning again hoping it would save this time, defeated that lady boss and decided to quit... lost all my data again. Fuck this port.
Any fix?

I think it's a great pc port overall
the limited resolution and framerate is a downside for sure, but the game runs great overall
they also paid special attention to mouse and keyboard controls, which I personally appreciate a lot (even though the game obviously plays better with a controller)
the button prompts immediatly change when you switch between controller and keyboard, there's seperate keys for attacks that would be difficult to pull off with m+kb and I think the parry window is bigger when using m+kb aswell
even though japanese studios don't have a lot of experience with porting to pc's, these little things are more than we get from most other ports

Ok the game runs great for me but it does not save my data AT ALL. Fuck. I started the game from the beginning again hoping it would save this time, defeated that lady boss and decided to quit... lost all my data again. Fuck this port.
Any fix?
did you try saving the game manually in the codec menu?

I had figured out what the game meant by "parry" and "perfect parry" but I can see why people might prefer the terms "block" and "parry" instead.

'Parry' and 'block' are actually pretty close in definition, or close enough, but I only know that because I looked it up in a dictionary when Revengeance came out on consoles. Parrying means deftly turning an attack aside, warding it off, whereas blocking implies you're just taking it head-on, absorbing all the force. Of course, since that's exactly what Raiden is doing in the game when you 'parry', it is a pretty clumsy word choice :p

For the purposes of Revengeance, though:
Parry = Block
Perfect Parry = Block and counter attack

Nibel

It's crazy - I've put so much time into the 360 version yet I can't stop to play the PC one as well and think about getting all the Steam achievements

pull-me-back-in.gif%3Fw%3D500%26h%3D227

solarus

I think it's a great pc port overall
the limited resolution and framerate is a downside for sure, but the game runs great overall
they also paid special attention to mouse and keyboard controls, which I personally appreciate a lot (even though the game obviously plays better with a controller)
the button prompts immediatly change when you switch between controller and keyboard, there's seperate keys for attacks that would be difficult to pull off with m+kb and I think the parry window is bigger when using m+kb aswell
even though japanese studios don't have a lot of experience with porting to pc's, these little things are more than we get from most other ports

did you try saving the game manually in the codec menu?

Shouldn't have to do that anyway, it auto saves and I never had to do this codec crap on the console version. Other people seem to have this issue to and running the executable as admin apparently fixes it, but I don't want to have to do that everytime.

jett

D-Member
Cuz of the PC version relese, I got the needs to play MGR again(on PS3). New game on hard mode, see what that's like(first run I played on normal). Pretty easy, even without any upgrades. Definitely the difficulty everyone should start on.

I think you will be quite fucked starting very hard or revengeance without every power up though. :p

Haunted

It finished the download on Steam earlier this morning (left it on overnight).

Now I come home to see that it's trying to download everything all over again? At 1% currently and there's no folder in the steamapps/common directory - which indicates that the files it downloaded yesterday are gone.

wtf

Never played a Metal Gear game before(yes I realize the gameplay is different to Metal Gear Solid) so I was bit worried about going in with no clue what anyone or anything is. But damn, this game is amazing. The voice acting is nothing to get excited over but the visuals, gameplay and music are all incredible. Can't wait to see what's to come, I am only at the beginning!

Camera is a little bit annoying though.

LiK

Never played a Metal Gear game before(yes I realize the gameplay is different to Metal Gear Solid) so I was bit worried about going in with no clue what anyone or anything is. But damn, this game is amazing. The voice acting is nothing to get excited over but the visuals, gameplay and music are all incredible. Can't wait to see what's to come, I am only at the beginning!

VO from Raiden is meh. But the final boss should win an award.

I really need to play this again. It's an odd game: I enjoyed the hell out of it, but with the skill curve and hvaing to play without getting hit for top tier ranks I kind of just gave it up when it was done and haven't touched it again. I forgot just how much fast, stupid awesome fun it was.

From all the screenshots you guys have been posting Rising on PC doesnt really look that good.

Maybe it just needs some downsampling?

I doubt downsampling would help much. The problem is that the engine and assets are clearly designed for last Gen consoles. The game is still fun, its just not very pretty.

jett

D-Member
Finished chapter 1 i guess earlier this morning, I have a question about the stat screen below. The ratings on the right, am I missing one? If so, what would be the cause of that.

A secret mission, you may have missed the one in the area with the helicopter mini-boss battle.

I really need to play this again. It's an odd game: I enjoyed the hell out of it, but with the skill curve and hvaing to play without getting hit for top tier ranks I kind of just gave it up when it was done and haven't touched it again. I forgot just how much fast, stupid awesome fun it was.

You can get hit to reach S rank, you just need to fulfill every other requirement. The road to the platinum trophy is one filled with a ridiculous amount of checkpoint restarts. :p

Levyne

Banned

Camera is a little bit annoying though.

Don't worry. I have absolutely no idea what's going on. You don't need to, imo. Game is fun regardless, haha.

Levyne

Banned
I kind of like Raiden's voice. It doesn't really fit and I've never really liked Flynn as a VA and the dialogue in general isn't the greatest IMO but I still like it. I just can't tell you why because I don't know.

Gbraga

Finished chapter 1 i guess earlier this morning, I have a question about the stat screen below. The ratings on the right, am I missing one? If so, what would be the cause of that.

You probably didn't go back to the place you fight the first helicopter, there are a few more enemies back there.

Dario ff

Banned
The game stores the shadow resolution value for the high preset on these addresses (EXE file):
  • 0x6224B2 - Shadowmap Render Rect Height
  • 0x6224B7 - Shadowmap Render Rect Width
  • 0x622AED - Shadowmap Texture Width
  • 0x622AF2 - Shadowmap Texture Height

New MGR patch is out, so I updated the addresses of my Shadowmap hack (They moved around a bit). If it gets a bit messy and they do a lot of updates I might look into doing an injector instead. If you see anything else than 0x600 (shows up as 00 06 00 00) on the addresses I mentioned, do NOT overwrite under any circumstances, as the versions likely differ.

LiK

I kind of like Raiden's voice. It doesn't really fit and I've never really liked Flynn as a VA and the dialogue in general isn't the greatest IMO but I still like it. I just can't tell you why because I don't know.

He's definitely much better in MGR than previous MGS games. But it's a bit inconsistent in MGR. He needs to work on the gruffness more.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For the new page:

You can easily stealth kill the ones in the sewers by jumping them from up above.

Wait, I'm probably thinking of a different enemy. If it's the ones that can shoot the purple EMP stuff you mostly have to pick your moments and attack them during their recoveries. Keep a distance if they do the purple orb attack.

BadWolf

The fuck? I must have fundamentally misunderstood how to parry then. When I try I just swing my sword in its direction. I pulled them off on regular enemies / in the tutorial etc.

Parry towards the enemy, not its attack.

If you parry too early then you will get a block, which has a rather large window of entry. If you aren't getting even a block then either your input isn't right (make sure to release the stick after hitting forward and attack) or your timing is way off.

Against Bladewolf the the Ninja Run slide attack with Triangle is really effective at stunning it. Triangle combo attacks in general are really good at keeping him in place.

My TV is a little strange when it comes to resolutions. It's native resolution is 1360x768, but when I run games at 1920x1080, the signal changes to 1080p, and they look a lot sharper and cleaner. With Rising however, the signal stays at 1360x768 even when I change the resolution to 1920x1080. I tried using Game Companion, which I primarily use for running New Vegas in borderless windowed mode, by switching the desktop resolution to 1920x1080 before launching the game, but while it forced the signal to change to 1080p, it also resulted in the framerate being locked at 24fps. Is this a result of the game handling resolutions in a funky way like Durante mentioned previously?

Shouldn't have to do that anyway, it auto saves and I never had to do this codec crap on the console version. Other people seem to have this issue to and running the executable as admin apparently fixes it, but I don't want to have to do that everytime.

well it's the first time I've played this game and I didn't know wether it autosaves or not
I guess I'm used to saving there because of the old games

anyway, you can right-click on the .exe, then click properties
in the 'compatibility' tab you can set it to 'always run as admin'

BadWolf

He's definitely much better in MGR than previous MGS games. But it's a bit inconsistent in MGR. He needs to work on the gruffness more.

The only scene that really got to me was
the evil laugh when he became Jack the Ripper

So I went and found the scene in Japanese to see if it was better and nope, it was even worse to my ears.

So yeah, I'm okay with the English VA. Could have been better but he has grown on me over the years.

Top Bottom