• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

nOoblet16

Err with Bayonetta you still continue with your combo in witch time and you can ignore witch time. Not sure why are you mentioning a shooter in this discussion.

Because you said Freezing action has no place in an action game..Vanquish might be a shooter but it's an action game and is the fastest game Platinum has made yet it relies on Slow motion.

Love the game but I kinda suck at it. Need to watch some videos, those damn little walkers kicked me in the face a few times yesterday.

nynt9

The more I play the more reminded I am of how excruciating the camera issues are, especially in a game where you can't cancel into movement, only into vulnerability, and all parries are directionally proportional to where your character is and where they're facing + where the camera is facing. Indoor fights are just this fucking chaotic mishmash of the camera wildly swining around, upside down, suddenly doing a complete 180, then shoving itself into Raiden's bionic behind. At one point it got stuck behind a air conditioning unit or something on a rooftop and I had to basically fight these guys by sound and by light reactions.

I disagree entirely, it punctuates the action imho

Hey, it's not a Metal Gear game if it doesn't focus on the absurdly well-defined ass of the MC at every opportunity!

I've downloaded the port and am going to do my third playthrough on PC this time, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Is there a way to unlock Revengeance difficulty from the get go?

krumble

Loving it
had it pre-ordered since day one it went up
Only did the download last night - took about 40 mins
Thought the cut scenes frame rate could have been a bit better in places though - but nothing we can do about that as prerendered
At least my framerate for the game proper is great

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Love the game but I kinda suck at it. Need to watch some videos, those damn little walkers kicked me in the face a few times yesterday.

Keep at it. I sucked at it too at first. But then I just got it. And everything clicked. And then it was glorious.

nOoblet16

The thing that fucking breaks flow is the 'spin left stick to break dizzy' mechanic which belongs in the deepest fucking flames of hell.

It really is near impossible to break free unless you hold the stick using your thumb and index finger to spin it. And I think it gets harder for each subsequent times when you get dizzy or grappled. This is the worst mechanic in Rising by far.

zainetor

Banned
It really is near impossible to break free unless you hold the stick using your thumb and index finger to spin it. And I think it gets harder for each subsequent times when you get dizzy or grappled. This is the worst mechanic in Rising by far.

it's tied to health level. The less you have, the harder it gets.

If PG does Rising 2 I'd be willing to be most cutscenes would be in engine like their other stuff. In this case I'm glad we got the high quality version. Maybe an option to do a minimal install with smaller video files would be a good idea. I can tell you I would have felt screwed over if the game had obviously shitty video encoding.

Well, what "other stuff"? Vanquish's were prerendered too. Anarchy Reigns too I believe (not 100% certain).

Bayonetta was made in the distant past since then they seem to prefer prerendered ones.

From all the screenshots you guys have been posting Rising on PC doesnt really look that good.

Maybe it just needs some downsampling?

The textures are pretty crap all around, art style is often bland, especially the environments, and it has almost none of the technical brilliance that I usually associate with Metal Gear but when you consider how quickly it was put together it makes a lot of sense and it's a wonder it turned out as well as it did.

I started using 4X SGSSAA and it looks a lot better in terms of aliasing, but it doesn't really fix the terrible textures. Lot of great weapon effects and the cutting can be really impressive though.

d1rtn4p

Dunno... Made it to the second chapter and now I'm just having a hard time staying with it...Pretty boring to me honestly. Game looks really ugly too for some reason, and I have everything maxed out.

Those three
big dinosaur / dog-like enemies
you meet up in the sewers right after you meet up with Georgie boy were pretty challenging on Hard, god damn.

Any tips on beating those safely, outside of a little patience and trying to land succesful parries? I understand their patterns well enough and things went expectedly smoother after taking out the legs on one of them, but when all three are alive the situation tends to stay hectic.

From all the screenshots you guys have been posting Rising on PC doesnt really look that good.

Downsampling isn't going to make low-res 720p console textures look any better on PC.

Er, don't you have to pivot the stick back and forth to break dizzy, not spin it? The thing i found to work best was to pivot back and forth, but not extend all the way to either side, just keep tilting back-forth rapidly with only a very small max distance from the center position

it's a console port allright, with increased AA and AF. Oh and 1080p

Nothing else added. But the game is fantastic, one of the best this year and it's coming to PC

Carbonox

Dunno... Made it to the second chapter and now I'm just having a hard time staying with it...Pretty boring to me honestly. Game looks really ugly too for some reason, and I have everything maxed out.

bb-b-boring?

no...

noooooooooooooo

pls understand you must stick with it - you've barely scratched the surface

Played through to file 5 yesterday. I almost forgot how much I hated the camera and QTE grapples in this game.

Also, I've beaten the game several times on PS3 and I still don't have a good strategy for those gorilla motherfuckers. I get dropkicked and grappled left and right lol

Arkanius

It feels like despite the resolution being unlocked now, the internal engine is still rendering something at 1280x720.

That or the textures are really low...

Jintor

I use the palm of my hand to spin it as fast as possible, but I have to move my hand from the buttons so that kinda sucks.

Just got killed four times by one of the very early bosses. Does this gaem follow the MGS pattern of giving out boss fight hints via codex? If so that's cute and all but I feel like the game hasn't adequately established a visual language for which things I'm able to counter and which I have to try to avoid. I also feel fucking naked without a block.

Taking on a gecko took several tries because I didn't realize I had to attack the giant metal bits, I foolishly assumed I was supposed to hack at the vulnerable, squishy legs. Which did approximately jack shit. Now I'm fighting some wolf that looks like one of the MGS4 bosses and got sick of it. I'm no doubt missing completely obvious things and am the world's biggest noob yadda yadda, but I can't seem to work out which attacks I'm supposed to punish the boss after. I can't just win by dodging for an hour and I keep getting my ass kicked when I attack it.

Jintor

Just got killed four times by one of the very early bosses. Does this gaem follow the MGS pattern of giving out boss fight hints via codex? If so that's cute and all but I feel like the game hasn't adequately established a visual language for which things I'm able to counter and which I have to try to avoid. I also feel fucking naked without a block.

Dog doesn't have any non-counterable moves. Block/parry everything, never stop laying waste.

Taking on a gecko took several tries because I didn't realize I had to attack the giant metal bits, I foolishly assumed I was supposed to hack at the vulnerable, squishy legs. Which did approximately jack shit. Now I'm fighting some wolf that looks like one of the MGS4 bosses and got sick of it. I'm no doubt missing completely obvious things and am the world's biggest noob yadda yadda, but I can't seem to work out which attacks I'm supposed to punish the boss after. I can't just win by dodging for an hour and I keep getting my ass kicked when I attack it.
The tutorial tells you right off the bat that when the enemy blinks red prior to attacking, you're usually able to counter it outright. If they have a yellow glow to them though, then their attack is technically unblockable although you can bypass that with the dodge from the shop (Defensive Offense or something).

As a result, that Bladewolf boss is an ideal training ground for parries.

I don't think it does, they're rivals after all.

You can fix the refresh rate issue by setting a custom resolution using Nvidia Control Panel and setting that as your desktop resolution before you launch the game.

1920x1079, 2560x1440, 2880x1620, 3200x1800, probably any resolution that only gives you 60hz will do.

The problem is that the game has 1080p but it doesn't let you choose the refresh rate manually, and for some weird reason it just picks the lowest.

Crytek games do the same, but it's much easier to fix there, you just have to alt enter twice (or reset vsync) and it's back to 60.

EDIT: About your edit, the game won't list 1440p, you have to set that as your desktop res and set the game at 1080p fullscreen, it will then run at 60hz

I don't have the 50/24hz problem but for some reason the game is locked @59hz and even after trying multiple desktop resolutions and full screen/window its still the same.

Its mostly due to the PS2 level texture quality that is present in almost every P* game. I understand why they do it to achieve high framerate on consoles, and I agree with them, I'd trade over HQ textures for high framerate and fantastic animation any day.

Obviously on PC you can have both, but that wasn't in the cards when they developed the game.

The fuck? I must have fundamentally misunderstood how to parry then. When I try I just swing my sword in its direction. I pulled them off on regular enemies / in the tutorial etc.

Jintor

The fuck? I must have fundamentally misunderstood how to parry then. When I try I just swing my sword in its direction. I pulled them off on regular enemies / in the tutorial etc.

you have to do it while an attack is 'active', I think, otherwise it just whiffs.

By the way, it does give hints via codec

There's some timing involved like when Bladewolf is dashing around for a short while, but you also have to do the motion repeatedly for consecutive attacks (such as when he's using his chainsaw whip... tail).

I had the same exact problem after getting out of the tutorial. The biggest thing I found was the lock-on with RB letting me actually see the enemy attack. After that, when the enemies wind up attacks, flicking the stick with X puts you in sort of a block animation against the Gekkos.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure I'm even parrying correctly, but at least it manages to block some of their attacks.

So far, I really love the story and presentation, but the gameplay leaves so much to be desired.

red731

95%

When I'll get home, I am ready! Finaly, RULES OF NATURE
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif
AU7Amsc.gif

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
So when I try to run the game it launches in windowed and just displays a black screen. Can hear the music fine and everything.

Parrying is context-sensitive; you can only do it during an enemy's attack. And Raiden will only assume the pose for a second or so, so you can't just hold it and wait. It forces you to really watch the enemies and understand the timing of their attacks, but with a bit of practice you'll get the hang of it easily. Even on Hard mode, the window for just a plain parry is quite generous.

A perfect parry is when Raiden automatically counter-attacks, usually when you parry right before an attack hits you. Those are pretty hard, so it's much safer to just go for regular parries until you can nail the timing.

Blade Wolf is definitely the game's parrying tutorial, though. You'll notice that he'll bounce pretty far away from you if you're just going for regular parries. To get him into a stunned state when you can actually dish out some damage you either have to be really aggressive and constantly chase him down, or try for perfect parries which knock him down straight away. Make sure you're locked onto him so you can always keep him on screen while he's dashing around, and remember that every attack needs its own parry (when he does his three hit combo, you have to parry each hit individually, in other words).

Oh, and generally, a red flash from an enemy's eye is an attack you can parry, a yellow flash is something you have to dodge/avoid. The yellow flashes are things like the Gekko grabbing you with that whip thing, regular soldiers trying to grapple you, etc. All Blade Wolf's attacks can be parried, though, you just have to learn the timing. He'll always give you a red flash, and usually his whole body will turn orange, so just wait for the attack and parry. The only tricky one is when he'll leap around the arena a few times before diving at you, so watch him closely (there's no set number of jumps before the attack, you just have to be ready).

Sdoots

Something I learned pretty quickly,and I'm glad I did, was that the timing on the parry is not really related to that "red-eye" effect. The flash is more of a warning to let you know you should get ready to parry. If you try to parry as soon as the effect happens, you will whiff more often than not, as the attack isn't actually happening yet. Wait for whatever is going to come at you to, well, come at you, and right before impact, push towards it and hit light attack.

First time playing through this, having tons of fun so far. Played up to the area just past Mistral in one sitting last night, and this morning before work I did the first segment of the sewers, which somehow weren't awful.

Is there anywhere I can get the soundtrack for this?

Volcynika

Something I learned pretty quickly,and I'm glad I did, was that the timing on the parry is not really related to that "red-eye" effect. The flash is more of a warning to let you know you should get ready to parry. If you try to parry as soon as the effect happens, you will whiff more often than not, as the attack isn't actually happening yet. Wait for whatever is going to come at you to, well, come at you, and right before impact, push towards it and hit light attack.

First time playing through this, having tons of fun so far. Played up to the area just past Mistral in one sitting last night, and this morning before work I did the first segment of the sewers, which somehow weren't awful.

Is there anywhere I can get the soundtrack for this?

You can get the vocal & instrumental versions of boss tracks here at least: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4MUSHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yep. If you're used to downsampling, just set one of your downsampling resolutions as your desktop res and you'll be fine.

If you can't downsample, you can go lower, like 1920x1079 and select that as your desktop res before playing.

Nuuvem, it's region locked to the Americas though

Nuveem and GMG are only ones I know of ATM and they are both region locked :(

zainetor

Banned
neat trick that few people use: You can cancel the block stun of the normal parry, if you dodge right after you block.
It works best with foward dodge, to keep the pressure going.

Volcynika

Bought four copies of this game, three of them being the PC version. Take notice SEGA, I'll buy at least just as much for Bayo, Vanquish or Catherine. And I mean it with at least, since I like all of those games more than I like Rising.

Just please don't make me download 21GBs of cutscenes that I'll skip anyway.

One of these is not like the other :p

tmespe

So I started before going to work this morning. When I got home it had 1gig left to download but my PC kept bugging me to restart, so I shut down steam and restarted. Now steam wants to redownload the whole game, but I still have nearly all the files in the steam download directory. Is there any way I can get steam to stop acting like an idiot, and get it to recognize this?

I'm looking for a bit of clarification on the parry move. Am i right in assuming that there is a sort of middle ground parry - one where you don't whiff/take damage, but where you don't get a direct follow attack or a finishing blade mode prompt?

I noticed this especially during Mistral. It felt like my timing was just barely off perfect, so I'd negate any damage but wouldn't really get to counter. Am I crazy?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Something happened in my game and it was running in 16:10 (1920x1200) didn't appear to be stretched either.

Top Bottom