• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

The camera sucks, no question, but eventually you get used to knowing when you need to toggle lock-on in different areas.

Lock-on could've been really useful, even in fights with multiple opponents. It'd certainly help for attacks that require "back, forward," or "forward, forward" inputs. The function just isn't intuitive.

The lock on is still fairly useful in this game, especially with bosses. Although I wonder why didn't the just force a lock to bosses - since I can't think of anytime you wouldn't want to be locked to them off the top of my head?

Dahbomb

The lock on is still fairly useful in this game, especially with bosses. Although I wonder why didn't the just force a lock to bosses - since I can't think of anytime you wouldn't want to be locked to them off the top of my head?
You wouldn't want to be locked on to Sundowner in the first part of the boss fight because you want to first lock on and kill the Helicopter with the rocket and then lock on to Sundowner to fight him 1v1.

If you are locked on to Sundowner and try to use your Rocket, you will first aim instantly at Sundowner and then you have to toggle to the Helicopter. In this time, you can easily be hit by Sundowner because the rocket already is so clunky and slow to use.

Also the Mistral boss fight, if you are locked on to her then you won't have good perspective on her minions meaning they would more easily latch on to you. For the rest of the boss fights though lock on needs to be on the bosses permanently.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I use lock on a hell of a lot, but it too is massively problematic, probably due the camera. Lock on has the benefit of giving you a tighter perspective to know what direction you should be parrying in, but it's a hot fucking mess when you're moving around a lot, and usually seems to have a mind of its own. Worse case scenarios have lock on outright ignoring some enemies (usually airborne) while the camera spins around for seemingly no reason, fucking with your defensive moves.

Also, now on 004, I'm reminded how much I loathe the wiggle stick shit in this game. The necessary wiggle stun shit on higher difficulties needs to fuck right off. There's zero feedback on what you're doing, whether you're doing it right, and how to actually get out of shit.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Man fuck you
Senator Armstrong
This fucker is a pain in the ass, I say I'll leave it for the night but I'll be trying again in an hour or so :p

Reading this thread is making me really wish I had my Xbox right now so I could replay the game again.

2cd.jpg

I use lock on a hell of a lot, but it too is massively problematic, probably due the camera. Lock on has the benefit of giving you a tighter perspective to know what direction you should be parrying in, but it's a hot fucking mess when you're moving around a lot, and usually seems to have a mind of its own. Worse case scenarios have lock on outright ignoring some enemies (usually airborne) while the camera spins around for seemingly no reason, fucking with your defensive moves.

Also, now on 004, I'm reminded how much I loathe the wiggle stick shit in this game. The necessary wiggle stun shit on higher difficulties needs to fuck right off. There's zero feedback on what you're doing, whether you're doing it right, and how to actually get out of shit.

This is my biggest problem with the game.

^But Raiden sword isn't a Katana, it is not even curved.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Remember that you can click the thumbstick to recenter the camera, too. It's a way to quickly re-orient to where Raiden is facing.

Might be a bit late, but here are some general newcomer tips:

• You can look at your movelist under HELP in the pause menu.
  • Set the camera sensitivity to setting 8 or so.
  • The Parry and Perfect Parry mechanics are the foundation of the entire game.
  • As soon as the store is available, purchase "Defensive Offense". This is a short dash slash with generous invincibility frames to avoid otherwise unblockable attacks (beams, fire, explosions, grabs/throws). The majority of attacks can be canceled into Defensive Offense, so you don't have to let up the offensive.
  • Zandatsu's restore all fuel cell gauge and health. The game is set up where you can Zandatsu every enemy in a engagement and recovery whatever energy you need.
  • Regular fodder enemies can be Zandatsu'd right away. Tougher enemies will either need to be stunned via Perfect Parry or you need to do enough damage to body parts (body parts will have a mild blue glow if they can be severed via Blade Mode).
  • Blade mode camera and the slice angle can be controlled with both thumbsticks. You can press an attack button to actually perform the slice - X for horizontal and Y for vertical. If you line up the initial cut with the sticks, just press an attack button for the surgical slice. Once you've hit the red box target, you can "let'er rip" with the slashes... they won't destroy the spine, but do add to your combo/score.
  • You can cancel anything into Blade Mode. This is useful for canceling the recovery on slower moves.
  • Sometimes certain moves will initiate a slowdown and there will be a blue haze over the screen. This usually indicates a good Zandatsu opportunity, since certain moves will line up easy Zandatsus. Examples are the full L aircombo or running H.
  • Falling Lightning, despite the name, is the easiest way to take out airborne opponents. Purchase it from the shop. This autotracking divekick sets up Zandatsus perfectly against the vulture-types.

The Parry Mechanic
  • A Parry is performed by TAPPING towards the enemy + light attack during the startup and active frames of an enemy's attack. Do not hold directions. Do start from neutral.
  • You must Parry in the direction of the enemy, not necessarily the direction of the attack.
  • You must press toward + light attack for EVERY hit. This means, if a move strikes Raiden three times, you must press towards + light three times, timed for each hit.
  • The Parry is simply a regular block if not timed perfectly. If you time the Parry with the very moment that Raiden will get struck, you'll get a Perfect Parry. Timing is less generous on the harder difficulties.
  • A Perfect Parry will result in a powerful auto-counter slash by Raiden that will typically stun enemies, setting them up for Zandatsu. While you're learning the timing of the Perfect Parries, the general rule of thumb is to attempt Parry earlier rather than later. If you make a mistake, you'll still get the block.
  • You can cancel almost any light attack into the Parry.
  • You can cancel a Parry with Defensive Offense.
  • Aerial Perfect Parries (must be bought in the shop) will hit enemies that otherwise dodge the the grounded Perfect Parry counterattack (such as Geckos).

ZeroX03

Banned
Could someone update the OP with instructions on how to enable SGSSAA or any other graphical tweaks we can do for MGR? Or if someone can direct me to the correct place that would be fantastic.

Coconut

Banned
If you are just starting it and enjoy the Kojima craziness unlock the DLC and play the bladewolf DLC, then play the main game, and finish it with the Jetstream DLC and the games story has a much better structure and I think it compliments Raiden's bonds between characters really well, but that's just my opinion.

antitrop

How to enable SGSSAA:

1) Create new profile in Nvidia Inspector, link to MGR exe
2) Enter 0x084012C1 in Antialiasing compatibility
3) Set Antialiasing Mode to 'Enhance'
4) Set Transparency Multisampling to 'Enabled'
5) Enable 2, 4, or 8x Sparse Grid Supersampling in Transparency Supersampling
6) Set the LOD Bias accordingly: -.500 for 2x, -1.000 for 4x and -1.500 for 8x.
7) Set the MSAA level in-game to the same as SGSSAA level.

Clawww

the stick wiggling is absolutely awful

ZeroX03

Banned
How to enable SGSSAA:

6) Set the LOD Bias accordingly

You're my new favourite person.

Parsnip

The internal 1080p buffer can definitely be increased higher via memory modification only (And probably exe modification as well). I actually found some addresses and got a reliable Cheat Engine table (This overrides the 800x600 resolution), but the GUI breaks horribly. Seems like that would take a lot more hunting to do.

Define "horribly". :p
I don't have much experience with Cheat Engine or anything similar, so I wondering if it might be possible to just remove the hud entirely for screenshotting. That's assuming one finds the right addresses first of course.

Also, the lock-on isn't a true lock-on like in a DMC game, it's just a variable that prevents the game's soft-lock from changing targets. If an enemy ever gets out of range, offscreen (happens a lot due to the walls bumping the camera around), or is otherwise unable to be targeted, it will revert to soft-lock behavior until it finds another target and then stick to that one.

It's one of the myriad of camera issues in the game, and probably the least severe one, but it's ruined a couple of VR mission runs for me. But, one really useful thing it does is make directional dodging more consistent, whereas in soft lock you will sometimes forward dodge towards the direction you wanted to side dodge towards laterally (not a massive issue but still annoying).

Dahbomb

the stick wiggling is absolutely awful
I think it might be random or at least attack specific as to if you can escape it early or not.

In any case the best way to avoid getting stun is to avoid getting hit. Not really a big problem but in this game when you get hit it starts to snow ball out of control. Like say you get hit and then a second hit is coming, if you don't parry that or dodge then you will most likely get stunned at higher difficulties (2-3 hits in quick succession almost always stuns you). And with the camera working so hard against you you can be dropped 100% off of one hit fairly easily.

jamsy

Considering trying this game out, but have a couple questions:

1) Does this game have any significant stealth portions? I really hate sneaking games.

2) Do you need to know the whole MGS story to get into this? I only played through Twin Snakes back on the Gamecube way back when and all I remember is some mech in Alaska and weird boss names.

Dario ff

Banned
Define "horribly". :p
I don't have much experience with Cheat Engine or anything similar, so I wondering if it might be possible to just remove the hud entirely for screenshotting. That's assuming one finds the right addresses first of course.
Well it just goes off-screen and it's scaled HUGE depending on the size you're on. Some elements are scaled properly, like the minimap on the corner.

I believe I found the scaling values already (Floats), but they seem to be calculated constantly every frame and I can't track the source where they're written from. I can't seem to freeze them either to see if it changes anything. They hardcoded the GUI scaling depending on the resolution index (Given I can change the index in real time and the GUI can actually scale back a bit), and the values don't change at all if I only change the buffer. If they're indeed scaling values, then the GUI can just be scaled down to 0 to hide it.

Dahbomb

Considering trying this game out, but have a couple questions:

1) Does this game have any significant stealth portions? I really hate sneaking games.

2) Do you need to know the whole MGS story to get into this? I only played through Twin Snakes back on the Gamecube way back when and all I remember is some mech in Alaska and weird boss names.
1) It has stealth portions but almost all of them are not mandatory. You can just action game your way through the entire game except for like one portion. Going the stealth approach does make things easier though.

2) Having MGS story background is helpful especially MGS2 and MGS4 but ultimately not that required. This game really isn't about the story though.

MaLDo

How to enable SGSSAA:

6) Set the LOD Bias accordingly: -.500 for 2x, -1.000 for 4x and -1.500 for 8x.

2, 4 and 6 are not needed.

Dr Dogg

Just overclocked my monitor to 75 Hz, and I can't test the increased smoothness in Rising.

Well I've got an extra 60hz doing nothing, with plenty of GPU grunt to spare. Which is a shame as this is the kind of game that actually see a massive benefit from higher refresh rates.

Levyne

Banned
Are some moves not parry-counter able? The second half of this fight with Sam I could only seem to regular parry most things.

Guess Who

Banned
8-4 did a great job with the MGR localization and I'd really like them to do more Metal Gear.

Let us never repeat MGS4's localization

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
i can't get RULES OF NATURE out of my head

The time has come to an end
Yeah – this is what nature planned
Being tracked by a starving beast
Looking for its daily feast
A predator on the verge of death
Close to its last breath
Getting close to its last breath

RULES OF NATURE!

And they run when the sun comes up
With their lives on the line
ALIVE!
For a while
NO CHOICE!
Gotta follow the laws of the wild
ALIVE!
With their lives on the line
NO CHOICE!
Out here only the strong survive

What’s done is done
Survived to see another day
The game of life
The hunter and the agile prey
No guarantee
Of which of them will succeed
Strong or weak

RULES OF NATURE!

b0uncyfr0

So downsampling is working somewhat but the UI elements are messed up. Hopefully they fix that. Downsampling these low res games makes them really shine. Examples ; DmC and Castlevania LOS.

What about the FOV though? It looks a tad too zoomed in. Ill see if the peeps at wsg have a thred on it yet.

Arsenic13

Anyone noticing issues with the last boss? For me in the Sam DLC, he's unresponsive when moving away from the
fire cracks that Armstrong creates

I'm not sure if this applies at the end of
Raiden's campaign
, but it's preventing me from beating the game and it's incredibly cheap.

Gbraga

UNTIL IT FINDS MY DREAMS HAVE DISAPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAA-A-A-A-A-A-R-AE-EA-EA-EAAE--A-A-AA-E-E-AE-E-AE-AE-AE-AE-AAA-AAARED

Top Bottom