• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Jintor

Man I completely forgot about blademode cancel. I should've used that more to escape from some of the locked animations.

BONKERS

*sorry repost from another thread*
Every resolution seems to be scaled by the game to your display resolution if your display resolution isn't supported.

Resolutions only showed on my PC, 800x600,1024x768,1280x720 and 1920x1080.
(My monitor is 1600x900) (This actually poses the question, If I play the game on a 1366x768 TV, would it even support it?)

Which causes problems for forcing AA. In game has up to 8xMSAA. So you'd think forcing SGSSAA be a no brainer. Nope.

Because of what seems to be the scaling forcing AA either doesn't work at all. Or it works, but the entire screen flickers batshit crazy. (Using flag 0x084012C1)
Or Just get a complete black screen, but all the UI elements work fine at 1080p (While at 720p AA simply isn't applied) with 0x080010C1
http://i7.minus.com/irJ55Vx99AV66.png
Screen

Here's a shot of 8xSGSSAA (When the screen flickers if you take a lot of screenshots you'll get a few where you have a normal frame)
http://i5.minus.com/iv2ZHreBcIzQh.png

Enhanced SGSSAA works pretty well , but it is blurrier and it seems to miss certain edges (Like in VR Missions the talking head of a character in the box Edit: after double checking forced SGSSAA does the same. I think that's just because of the scanlines in VR mode)
http://i.minus.com/iV1Ws10jYFBc3.png
http://i.minus.com/itnIDR66DrGgV.png

Strangely I also just discovered, if you force SGSSAA and then go in the options and enable in game MSAA and then switch it back off. The image won't flicker anymore

0x084012C1 8xSGSSAA
http://i.minus.com/iDNTgNBxVgg47.png
http://i.minus.com/iCBp7tlwazQuG.png
http://i.minus.com/iQcPKCdRJoeWx.png

Lyonaz

Just finished the game on HARD and OMFG THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME!!
I'm glad I waited for the PC version instead of playing the PS3 version, sooo good.

Now I'm off to bed and do the DLC tomorrow. Also I need the soundtrack so I can listen to it on my way to work every day.

antitrop

Fuck this piece of shit game. The camera is one of the worst things I've ever fucking seen and the controls are fucking terrible. Uninstalled. What a waste of money. GAF doesn't know what its talking about.

V2ya7tL.gif

nynt9

Fuck this piece of shit game. The camera is one of the worst things I've ever fucking seen and the controls are fucking terrible. Uninstalled. What a waste of money. GAF doesn't know what its talking about.

Considering you're more or less the only person with these (very eloquently articulated /s) complaints regarding the controls in this thread with lots of people in it, maybe the problem is between the controller and the chair...

Quantum

This game makes me feel dumb.

I've watched a few youtube videos explaining the combat, but I am having a ton of difficulty - there is so much love for the combat system I feel I must be missing something.

I really don't know if this is good or bad yet - it just hasn't clicked.

The directional parry, I just suck at it.

even with locking on, the camera is a mess.

kurohana

I agree with people not liking the camera. I've had the camera completely switch sides and get me killed because I wasn't parrying in the direction it switched to. Pretty awful.

nynt9

I've watched a few youtube videos explaining the combat, but I am having a ton of difficulty - there is so much love for the combat system I feel I must be missing something.

What's your issue with the parry? You flick the stick towards the enemy who's attacking you and press attack at the same time. Make sure to remove your finger from the stick immediately and don't hold it that way. In case the videos you watched weren't clear (I understood this from the tutorial but I guess it's not that clear for some).

So is the pc version botched in a sense the the camera is somehow worse, are you guys wailing the right stick like its a shooter, or are the people complaining just terrible at action games? because I have never heard so many people freaking out about the camera, its jank. but I never had a huge problem it it, only time I had an issue was on very hard being cornered by Mastiffs with the camera losing its shit and having to rely on sounds and enemy prediction to block/parry...I hardly ever even need to move the right stick in combat...weird, like its all so minor. Also
Jetstream
VR 4 gave me issues with it.

controls are fine, albeit very simple...literally all you need to practice on a beginners level to complete the game is parrying, and even then its super straightforward and forgiving.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Don't lock on all the time. You should really only be locking on if you have to take out specific enemies, like rocket soldiers, flyers, etc. Otherwise, the soft lock won't be as restrictive.

Here's my advice for newcomers. Maybe it'll help you:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

grimmiq

Camera and targetting frustrated the hell out of me against the Ray at the start. I'd attack 1 leg, then avoid his stomp, ran back to finish it off, but my target had switched to the opposite leg..so instead of hitting the one inches from me, I dashed towards the other one.

solarus

Considering you're more or less the only person with these (very eloquently articulated /s) complaints regarding the controls in this thread with lots of people in it, maybe the problem is between the controller and the chair...
The camera complaint is legitimate but the controls themselves are fine.

Quantum

What's your issue with the parry? You flick the stick towards the enemy who's attacking you and press attack at the same time. Make sure to remove your finger from the stick immediately and don't hold it that way. In case the videos you watched weren't clear (I understood this from the tutorial but I guess it's not that clear for some).

I have NOT been flicking the stick, I have been holding the stick in the direction and hitting the light attack - I will have to try again tomorrow.

My issue was specifically with the
blade wolf boss
- I was trying to parry every attack and seems like I should have been blade running instead.

I'll try again tomorrow, I've had a few margaritas and I don't think my reflexes are up to the test at the moment.

Camera and targetting frustrated the hell out of me against the Ray at the start. I'd attack 1 leg, then avoid his stomp, ran back to finish it off, but my target had switched to the opposite leg..so instead of hitting the one inches from me, I dashed towards the other one.

Camera definitely is terrible in that fight, but instead of running away from the stomp just stand still and parry it instead. Can also parry his head and arms and tail

zainetor

Banned
you have to keep adjusting it.
NGblack had the same problem, but at least there, you could adjust it with 1 button.
Here you have to keep rotating the camera. It's useful to set horizontal rotation to the max.

when you're chopping enemies, try to adjust it, while the game is going in slow motion with the right stick.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
you have to keep adjusting it.
NGblack had the same problem, but at least there, you could adjust it with 1 button.
Here you have to keep rotating the camera. It's useful to set horizontal rotation to the max.

when you're chopping enemies, try to adjust it, while the game is going in slow motion with the right stick.

You can reset the camera by pressing in the stick, just like NGB's trigger pull. Granted, it's not quite as good, but the intent is there.

MormaPope

Banned
Seeing the amount of people experiencing difficulty when it comes to mechanics and dying makes me wish for a Ninja Gaiden 2 PC port. NG2 grabs your genitalia and rips those bits off.

zainetor

Banned
You can reset the camera by pressing in the stick, just like NGB's trigger pull.

Yeah but when you're surrounded, even if you reset it it's still a bad camera, that's the main problem.
it's too close to raiden. To keep an eye on your surroundings, you have to rotate constantly, especially when you have some enemies at your 6.

Jintor

I also find it irritating how it's locked nearly at ground level and you can't get a good vantage on the situation. And how it won't clip through walls... and sometimes when it clips through objects the objects don't go transparent.

A better camera would go a long way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah but when you're surrounded, even if you reset it, it's still a bad camera, that's the main problem.
it's too close to raiden. To keep an eye on your surroundings, you have to rotate constantly, especially when you have some enemies at your 6.

Yeah, it's too close and it doesn't know how to behave in small areas. It's definitely a problem, but I didn't have a big issue with it on my playthroughs until the VR missions.

antitrop

Seeing the amount of people experiencing difficulty when it comes to mechanics and dying makes me wish for a Ninja Gaiden 2 PC port. NG2 grabs your genitalia and rips those bits off.

I watched my roommate play through Ninja Gaiden 2 a few times. I'll never forget his frustration with the final boss on one of the hardest difficulties, and his reaction to finally winning.

As for the camera, on my first time through the game on Hard, I would say it's "manageable", at best.

Nyoro SF

The only times I've ever had issue with the camera is if I get too close to walls and corners, so I try to keep the fight to open space as much as possible.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Three Desperados down. One to go.

Some game design choices have been questionable, but so far this game hasnt made me replay the entire game backwards so its already a more fully realized endeavor than Devil May Cry 4 lol

If this is Platinum rushing out a game, cannot wait to see what Rising 2 is.

There are so many cool things that come with the pc version mmm I'm loving it so far.
Defensive offensive being z though at the start is so wierd, had to change it to E, feels alot better. KB/M feels suprisingly good for this game. Thought it would be horrible with blade mode but it's actually pretty good.

Funny little glitch I found (dunno if its on consoles as well) if you save a guy and tell him it's okay, and then you defensive offensive to cut his clothes off, you can't move after you're scolded... but if you DO into another cutscene then it goes back to normal.

BTW, question to the elite of this game: for Jetstream Sam DLC, how do you deal with
Armstrong
? Is it really just hit and run and the occasional charge attack after he does his circle aoe thing? It's so much tougher with Sam instead of Raiden :eek:

Conezays

I have NOT been flicking the stick, I have been holding the stick in the direction and hitting the light attack - I will have to try again tomorrow.

My issue was specifically with the
blade wolf boss
- I was trying to parry every attack and seems like I should have been blade running instead.

I'll try again tomorrow, I've had a few margaritas and I don't think my reflexes are up to the test at the moment.

I've been having the same problem too holding the stick to parry with mild success. Margaritas and Metal Gear Rising-my man! Sounds like a good time, I've only had a beer myself, haha.

I'm on the final boss.

I feel like I'm missing something here. 200% health and my attacks are barely working against Armstrong? What gives?

Help is appreciated!

Hypron

BTW, question to the elite of this game: for Jetstream Sam DLC, how do you deal with
Armstrong
? Is it really just hit and run and the occasional charge attack after he does his circle aoe thing? It's so much tougher with Sam instead of Raiden :eek:

Don't forget to taunt him but yeah that's about it.

The camera and the controls do have problems, but they're not ones that are apparent on first playthroughs. I honestly don't think I would've realized how bad some of the systems were if I didn't work for the VR trophy.

I'm assuming he's raging about something entirely unrelated

Arsenic13

So I beat the last level of Sam's story, but it doesn't progress to the end cutscene and the credits. Anyone else experiencing this? Is the DLC "unbeatable" when played with the Konami code ahead of finishing Raiden's story?

Hypron

I'm on the final boss.

I feel like I'm missing something here. 200% health and my attacks are barely working against Armstrong? What gives?

Help is appreciated!

Are you in his 3rd phase? If so, use the Y,Y,Y,X,Y or Y,Y,X,Y combos as much as possible to deal him damage. You can deal him 20% damage by cutting the stuff he throws at you. You can also parry his flaming punch attacks. Parrying one of those deal between 10 and 30% damage which is always good to take.

Zom

Banned
This is exactly how I felt about Bayonetta back in 2009.

And then I just replayed it on the next harder difficulty.

The same happened to me, almost finished the game 100%, I just missed beating father rodin and unlock the nunchakus, I think everything else was done.

So like bayonetta, I'm going to replay this game a loooooot.

Jintor

You talking about the *clears throat* relapses of certain fights? Not even comparable to dmc4.

Well, I mean, you do literally run through a level backwards at one point, but since the enemies are all changed I actually didn't notice the first time through.

ShaunBRS

For anyone who is still having the 24/30/50 Hz problem in fullscreen and/or issues running in a borderless window – I've cobbled together a cheat engine table with a script that fixed it for me. I'm a total noob at this so it might not even work, but if you want to test it out for yourself you can grab it here.

Top Bottom