• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Woah, wait: That second box under the chapters in chapter select is the boss-rush selection mode? :O! :O! :O! *goes and sees*

Dahbomb

One thing I will say about MGR that I haven't said about it before.

MGR might not be the best action game released this gen.... but it's easily the most "next gen". I am talking of course coming from the PS2 gen to the PS3/360. Pretty much every action game this gen had been like a straight upgrade over stuff like NGB and DMC3 without really going the extra level of interactivity. Between Blade mode and Zandatsu, MGR really takes hack n slash to a new level. There is no action game which you can accurately cut up enemy parts like that. Going forward, MGR2 has the most potential with next gen hardware.

When I first played the game I thought the whole Zandatsu thing was a gimmick that would get old quick. Even after playing through Revengeance on console, I get satisfaction from pulling off a Zandatsu in a clutch moment because that shit is earned. Hell I even pop off by doing the Zandatsu hand crush synchronized with Raiden!

Revengeance tier:
Hot Wind Blowing
It Has to Be This Way
I'm My Own Master Now (dat flamenco intro)

RULES OF NATURE tier:
A Stranger I Remain
The Only Thing I Know For Real
The Stains of Time
Rules of Nature

Nanomachines, son tier:
Red Sun
Collective Consciousness

Uraizen

Banned
So... I don't know if this has been covered or not. Since we can select the boss we want to fight in chapter select, can't we just get the no damage achievement that way? Or does that not work?

TheSeks

I don't see any second boxes on my Chapter select.

Did you not use the Konami code? I guess it's locked until you beat the game then.

You can select them but it isn't a Boss Rush. And if you use the Konami Code it doesn't unlock all the weapons for that "chapter" since it's basically fast-forwarding you to that point. Anything you have/haven't unlocked in the main-game is locked/unlocked on that file in turn. So no Pincer Blades if you haven't unlocked them yet for Monsoons Battle, for instance.

Levyne

Banned
I used the code but I didn't check for the boss chapters til after I beat the game so I'm unsure if the code unlocks them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Did you not use the Konami code? I guess it's locked until you beat the game then.

You can select them but it isn't a Boss Rush. And if you use the Konami Code it doesn't unlock all the weapons for that "chapter" since it's basically fast-forwarding you to that point. Anything you have/haven't unlocked in the main-game is locked/unlocked on that file in turn. So no Pincer Blades if you haven't unlocked them yet for Monsoons Battle, for instance.

I didn't use the Konami code, but I did beat the game on Hard. I wonder how you unlock them normally.

When I first played the game I thought the whole Zandatsu thing was a gimmick that would get old quick. Even after playing through Revengeance on console, I get satisfaction from pulling off a Zandatsu in a clutch moment because that shit is earned. Hell I even pop off by doing the Zandatsu hand crush synchronized with Raiden!
Pulling off multi zandatsus always feels so good.

TheSeks

I used the code but I didn't check for the boss chapters til after I beat the game so I'm unsure if the code unlocks them.

I haven't beaten it yet, but I used the Konami code (since I already beat it twice on PS3), so I can confirm that unlocks them.

If you're not seeing the second set of boxes, which should be below the two you may be thinking you can press up/down to select the mode. But no, you need to press left-right like you're selecting a chapter and the chapter after R-00 or DLC2 will be the Bosses chapter selection.

Grief.exe

I have to wake up very early tomorrow, but I'm hoping to squeeze some MGR in real quick before bed.

150 post thread on the Steam forums on getting the MGS series ported over, there is your demand right there Tora. Don't go in the Steam forums by the way, disgusting.

MGR might not be the best action game released this gen.... but it's easily the most "next gen". I am talking of course coming from the PS2 gen to the PS3/360. Pretty much every action game this gen had been like a straight upgrade over stuff like NGB and DMC3 without really going the extra level of interactivity. Between Blade mode and Zandatsu, MGR really takes hack n slash to a new level. There is no action game which you can accurately cut up enemy parts like that. Going forward, MGR2 has the most potential with next gen hardware.

Blade Mode is easily the best swordplay mechanic ever IMO. It would be absolutely amazing in a realistic samurai game where parries and defense played a huge part and death came quickly when hit.

And yes, it would benefit immensely from a sequel on the new consoles.

Surprised people are having trouble parrying, the window is pretty big even on hard. I think this is the first game where I've actually had no struggle what so ever with understanding when to do so. Of course, that doesn't mean I always pulled off perfect ones or was never hit.

Maybe it's too open.. If it were smaller, I'd at least know when exactly the right moment is rather than being vague.
Another thing about parrying I want to know more about is that quicktime L Trigger button prompt that pops up. Do I press that immediately or what? The prompt lingers there for awhile and I'm wondering if I should press it immediately or wait till the prompt is done animating.. I felt like I had to hit it again before the prompt would go away... Or does it go away by itself as long as you pressed it?

I've also had a couple goofy moments where I start the slashing event, but the character didn't fly up to the spot he was going to go to.. Maybe because I pressed it twice trying to activate it?

Oh, and are there attacks you can't parry? Right after the tutorial, you're basically in a big boss battle,. and I had no idea if parrying would be effective.. No hint prompt or suggestion by the other character.

Only played for about a half hour earlier today, but will put more time into it soon.

Seems funnish, I just want to know exactly what I'm doing right off the bat.

I think Red Sun in under appreciated.

For me it's mainly because it's associated with the least memorable of the main bossfights, and the moment when the vocals kick in just doesn't compete with 'RULES OF NATURE' or 'TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIIIIIND'. I still think it's pretty good, though.

Goddamn.

I bought the Grey Fox armor. Are the others worth getting? What are their buffs, exactly?

The White Armor lets you carry additional nanopaste, which is useful if you find yourself losing to bosses a lot.

The Inferno and Commando Armor let you carry more grenades and RPG/Stinger ammo respectively, but they're not very useful considering how good some of the other armors are.

The Red, Blue and Yellow Armor increase strength, defense and Blade Mode respectively, while gimping one of the other two stats.

The Suit looks super snazzy and should be the only armor you wear.

Jintor

I haven't beaten it yet, but I used the Konami code (since I already beat it twice on PS3), so I can confirm that unlocks them.

If you're not seeing the second set of boxes, which should be below the two you may be thinking you can press up/down to select the mode. But no, you need to press left-right like you're selecting a chapter and the chapter after R-00 or DLC2 will be the Bosses chapter selection.

Hmmm... wonder how to unlock directly? I should probably just Konami code it since I finished the game four or five times on PS3, but i kinda want to know how to unlock it 'properly'.

After playing the game on Normal on PS3, Hard does feel like the right difficulty.

Yeah, I just did a quick runthrough two chapters on normal and murdered everyone without trying. Though that was with an ungraded sword, so who knows

Revven

So there's no actual boss rush mode, just boss selecting? :S

God damn, this took me a while because of VR mission 4.

6gOpv.jpg

If next gen is a series of button prompts than count me out. Blade mode was a very unique feature but zandetsu really nullified any fun I had with it. It makes Blade mode more of a grind for health or a way to finish off enemies faster. I would have preferred if it was just the latter, because it was certainly fun cutting off the arms of the heavier armor characters as a fighting tactic. Hell zandetsu would have been ok if the animation wasn't so long or if the spines weren't in everything. Really brings down the game..

Also the level design was not close to this gen or next gen and was too linear for a Metal Gear game. You could really tell PG was grinding out that game at the speed of light towards the end because the later levels all felt very flat and dull..

Zandatsu and blade mode get written off as gimmicks because they aren't absolutely integral to completing the game outside of QTEs. All the scripted blade mode moments could've been entirely QTE if that's what Platinum wanted. There are a few advantages to using blade mode well, yet you can cheese a lot of moments (randomly slashing to get spines, avoiding removing
Sundowner
's shields).

However, the game approaches 1-to-1 ratio between player input and in-game result which goes such a long way in making the action tangible to the player. Even though the player has to soften up enemies before being able to slice them up, they still get proper feedback from in-game objects/enemies reacting appropriately to their input.

This game's concept had the opposite problem Ryse does; your sword slices everything up, so how you build a compelling game around that? Right now, blade mode is a great addition to the gameplay. Platinum managed to see that idea through to fruition from when it was still a KojiPro project. Still, there's more that could be done with it.

There's only one segment that calls for using blade mode outside of a QTE (the GRAD atop the bridge in Denver). More situations like that would be great. Having fights that require accurate cuts would be risky since it could end up being frustrating like the (optional) QTEs in MGR:R's final fight. Having the ability to topple structures in specific ways in order to change the tide of battle would be most welcome. Slice open a gas truck then slash the ground to create sparks which ignite it, bringing a roof down on top of enemies, block paths with debris, and so forth.

Imagine a cross between Red Faction Guerrilla and the first MGR. It's difficult to make good use of interesting game mechanics in single player games, but I still have high hopes.

If next gen is a series of button prompts than count me out. Blade mode was a very unique feature but zandetsu really nullified any fun I had with it. It makes Blade mode more of a grind for health or a way to finish off enemies faster. I would have preferred if it was just the latter, because it was certainly fun cutting off the arms of the heavier armor characters as a fighting tactic. Hell zandetsu would have been ok if the animation wasn't so long or if the spines weren't in everything. Really brings down the game..
I don't understand what you mean. Did you just not like how long the zandatsu animation took?

There's only one segment that calls for using blade mode outside of a QTE (the GRAD atop the bridge in Denver). More situations like that would be great. Having fights that require accurate cuts would be risky since it could end up being frustrating like the (optional) QTEs in MGR:R's final fight. Having the ability to topple structures in specific ways in order to change the tide of battle would be most welcome. Slice open a gas truck then slash the ground to create sparks which ignite it, bringing a roof down on top of enemies, block paths with debris, and so forth.

Imagine a cross between Red Faction Guerrilla and the first MGR. It's difficult to make good use of interesting game mechanics in single player games, but I still have high hopes.

This all sounds great, but I'm not sure how feasible some of those ideas would be in an over the top fast paced action game like Rising. There's certainly more that could be done with precision cutting, but tactical stuff like you're talking about here seems more fitting for a heavier, slower paced Seven Samurai adaption or something.

Revven

Correct, unless there's some mode that's locked from the Konami code it's just boss-selection for the chapter.

Disappointing but at least that's there lol.

...Maybe if we beg and plead enough they'll add a boss rush mode in, it can't be that hard to set up D:...

This all sounds great, but I'm not sure how feasible some of those ideas would be in an over the top fast paced action game like Rising. There's certainly more that could be done with precision cutting, but tactical stuff like you're talking about here seems more fitting for a heavier, slower paced Seven Samurai adaption or something.

stop that. stop making me want games I didn't know I wanted that will never exist

TheSeks

Disappointing but at least that's there lol.

...Maybe if we beg and plead enough they'll add a boss rush mode in, it can't be that hard to set up D:...

Well, this is just "fast-forwarding" you through the levels. I'm sure since MGS2's Boss Rush did a similar thing it's theoretically possible to have the levels be "linked" together via a small code-snippet to load these boss-chapter hooks one after the other.

Top Bottom